New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 51 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Grrl Power IV: Constantly Expanded Universe

Writers have no sense of scale! But we readers dont either.

On the one hand, 700 ly is hardly a cosmic distance. It's basically the unfriendly neighborhood, looking at a galactic scale.

On the other hand, we dont know how far advanced all the aliens are, if they are all at the same level or rather centuries of research apart in their achievements, how many there are and how fast they can travel. So 700 ly could also be a big deal.

On the last hand, unless the Stargate center doesn't sponsor a trip with the prometheus, 700 ly is mindboggingly far away.

Spoiler
    Show
    (and of course there is a Stargate on grrlverse earth - come on, they have an alien police council, civil vampires, veggie superheroes, were rabbits, ancient artifacts and a Harem with a billionaire. There is no way that there is not a Stargate somewhere!)

2. - Top - End - #122
    Colossus in the Playground

I mean, im hardly saying it would be a day trip to go get sydney, but even so, the way she is basically shrugging and going "Welp, that sucks. Who's up for an after battle orgy?" Is kinda annoying. Im guessing despite being made of a dozen random things, "navy seal" isnt one of them.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

3. - Top - End - #123
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    I mean, im hardly saying it would be a day trip to go get sydney, but even so, the way she is basically shrugging and going "Welp, that sucks. Who's up for an after battle orgy?" Is kinda annoying. Im guessing despite being made of a dozen random things, "navy seal" isnt one of them.
    Aren't you talking about the succubus who has done nothing but sexually harass her teammates, even when their lives were in danger? At this point, I do have to wonder if there is evidence that Dazzler has human-like emotions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oko and Qailee View Post
    Man, I like this tiefling.
    For all of your completely and utterly honest needs. Zaydos made, Tiefling approved.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Aren't you talking about the succubus who has done nothing but sexually harass her teammates, even when their lives were in danger? At this point, I do have to wonder if there is evidence that Dazzler has human-like emotions.
    She literally runs on sex energy, so its maybe not so surprising she always has it on the brain. having said that, Dabbler is clearly not just brushing it off to go talk about sex like Traab seems to be implying. She's making a point about the power of the blast and then devolving into stream-of-consciousness ramblings about who got saved. Not obviously grief stricken, but not nearly that tasteless either.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

5. - Top - End - #125
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Mirrsen View Post
    The interesting thing is though, we don't really have communications. The "commball" is Sensors and Transporters, i.e. what on a 'Trek ship would be the bridge post of the Science Officer. It doesn't offer ranged communication (just regular speech, even if via telepresence), or broadcasting. The last unknown orb may well be actual Comms, assuming that the latest 'air supply orb' acts as both Life Support and Medical.

Navigation, and FTL flight if such functions exist (not all spaceships are meant to be interstellar), would probably be a part of the Flight orb.
    edit: or, activated as part of synergy between Flight orb and Commball, assuming those interconnections on the skilltree are for that purpose.
    Depending on comm ball range and targeting method this might be very quickly resolved. For example, if she can do any place she knows really well without range limits she'll be home relatively soon.
    My deaths to wolves (or other evil night killers)
    Spoiler
    Show

Spytrap III, Ultimate Kaos II, Monty Python, Twin Village, Invasion of the Zombies: Outbreak, Vampires III

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow
    I think Lamech will make a great Sephiroth.
    A new New York IC OOC

6. - Top - End - #126
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    She literally runs on sex energy, so its maybe not so surprising she always has it on the brain. having said that, Dabbler is clearly not just brushing it off to go talk about sex like Traab seems to be implying. She's making a point about the power of the blast and then devolving into stream-of-consciousness ramblings about who got saved. Not obviously grief stricken, but not nearly that tasteless either.
    Yeah, she might feed of sexual energy, but considering how many times she's basically harassed her teammates I still don't know if she actually has empathy as we humans understand it. Not like we have a wide range of emotions to go off of here, really.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oko and Qailee View Post
    Man, I like this tiefling.
    For all of your completely and utterly honest needs. Zaydos made, Tiefling approved.

7. - Top - End - #127

She is already talking about sydney in the past tense and the only reason she was even shouting in the first panel is because maxima is shouting at her. She is displaying absolutely no concern over sydney at all. On a side note not connected to dabblers sociopathy, it sure is convenient the explosion totally obliterated the mountain in such a way the portal room is clear for them to stand in.

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

8. - Top - End - #128
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

She is already talking about sydney in the past tense and the only reason she was even shouting in the first panel is because maxima is shouting at her. She is displaying absolutely no concern over sydney at all. On a side note not connected to dabblers sociopathy, it sure is convenient the explosion totally obliterated the mountain in such a way the portal room is clear for them to stand in.
    She's a lone wolf adventurer type person. Of course she maintains her composure, the ones who cant wind up being buried by the ones who can. Im more surprised that Maxima seems to be having a panic attack of some kind.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

9. - Top - End - #129
    Titan in the Playground

She's a lone wolf adventurer type person. Of course she maintains her composure, the ones who cant wind up being buried by the ones who can. Im more surprised that Maxima seems to be having a panic attack of some kind.
    I think this is closer to it. Dabbler has likely seen a lot of death and destruction. I wouldn't be surprised if she's lost a lot of that basic empathy for loss or even her whole sort of sociopathy in general might be partly explained by it.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Titan in the Playground

I think people are shockingly swift to condom Dabbler on a almost non-existant foundation.
    She is keeping calm in a stressfuld situation, and dont let her emotions rule her.
    And suddenly she is lacking empathy? or a sociopath?
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

11. - Top - End - #131
    Ogre in the Playground

Its not suddenly. You also have to take into consideration all the sexual assault and sexual harassment.
    My deaths to wolves (or other evil night killers)
    Spoiler
    Show

Spytrap III, Ultimate Kaos II, Monty Python, Twin Village, Invasion of the Zombies: Outbreak, Vampires III

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow
    I think Lamech will make a great Sephiroth.
    A new New York IC OOC

12. - Top - End - #132

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    I think people are shockingly swift to condom Dabbler on a almost non-existant foundation.
    She is keeping calm in a stressfuld situation, and dont let her emotions rule her.
    And suddenly she is lacking empathy? or a sociopath?
    Its not that she is keeping calm, its that she has already dismissed sydney as dead and gone. Its been 5 seconds and she has already gone "Welp, thats that. Time to find another quirky girl to fill out the roster." And honestly, her sexual behavior doesnt bother me at all really. The only one it seems to bother is maxima and there it seems more about the teasing and messing with her than any serious deviancy. Its like how some cousins of mine, good ol boys from redneck usa, liked to mess with my mom by telling all sorts of sexist jokes and comments just to get her riled up. They didnt actually mean them, they just found her reactions amusing as heck. (She figured it out fairly quick and started firing back her own weak men jokes)

13. - Top - End - #133
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Its not that she is keeping calm, its that she has already dismissed sydney as dead and gone. Its been 5 seconds and she has already gone "Welp, thats that. Time to find another quirky girl to fill out the roster." And honestly, her sexual behavior doesnt bother me at all really. The only one it seems to bother is maxima and there it seems more about the teasing and messing with her than any serious deviancy. Its like how some cousins of mine, good ol boys from redneck usa, liked to mess with my mom by telling all sorts of sexist jokes and comments just to get her riled up. They didnt actually mean them, they just found her reactions amusing as heck. (She figured it out fairly quick and started firing back her own weak men jokes)
    She hasn't though? I mean, Sydney might already be gone in her mind, but that's not an unreasonable stance to take given that she's trapped however many thousands of lightyears away on a hostile world with no supplies an enemy actively taking pot shots at her capable of overwhelming her defenses.

But she's not acting like Sydney was a disposable member of the team, or that she can just be replaced.

14. - Top - End - #134

She hasn't though? I mean, Sydney might already be gone in her mind, but that's not an unreasonable stance to take given that she's trapped however many thousands of lightyears away on a hostile world with no supplies an enemy actively taking pot shots at her capable of overwhelming her defenses.

But she's not acting like Sydney was a disposable member of the team, or that she can just be replaced.
    It is unreasonable when she hasnt even tried anything to change the scenario. Max is all about finding the artifact, recreating the portal somehow, etc. Basically trying to come up with plans to fix this. Dabbler is like, "Nah, its over and done with. Ah well" I mean, I know that despite this comic turning 25 next year sydney and dabbler havent exactly had a long time to become best friends, but it still seems incredibly cold to just move on without a hint of regret instantly.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

It is unreasonable when she hasnt even tried anything to change the scenario. Max is all about finding the artifact, recreating the portal somehow, etc. Basically trying to come up with plans to fix this. Dabbler is like, "Nah, its over and done with. Ah well" I mean, I know that despite this comic turning 25 next year sydney and dabbler havent exactly had a long time to become best friends, but it still seems incredibly cold to just move on without a hint of regret instantly.
    And youre judging that in the... ten? Seconds that they've been back? The only thing she's conclusively said she cant do is turn around and immediately re open the portal. Seriously, what do you want from her?
    Last edited by Keltest; 2018-07-22 at 07:59 PM.

16. - Top - End - #136

For her to consider any options beyond f### it.

17. - Top - End - #137
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    For her to consider any options beyond f### it.
    You have no idea what she has or has not considered beyond "I cant recreate the portal out of the materials she had."

18. - Top - End - #138

That wasn't the option she considered. What she determined was 'It's not worth trying to rescue Sydney, even though I have two of the most powerful supers in the country here to move the rocks so we can get the portal cutter."

Incidentally, the same rocks they need to move to dig out Achilles.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    That wasn't the option she considered. What she determined was 'It's not worth trying to rescue Sydney, even though I have two of the most powerful supers in the country here to move the rocks so we can get the portal cutter."

Incidentally, the same rocks they need to move to dig out Achilles.
    You must not be reading the same comic I am then, because she in no way indicated that.

20. - Top - End - #140

Quote Originally Posted by Dabbler
    "It's impossible, Maxima! The sigil is destroyed and the artifact Sciona used to open the portal is probably buried under millions of tons of rock."
    Yes, she didn't explicitly reject the idea of moving rocks to get the portal key at all. I'm completely wrong.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Titan in the Playground

Its not unreasonable if she has already run though the likely scenarios of how long it would take to find the artifact and recreate the portal, and those are longer than the 3 days Sydney could be expected to last without water.
    Dabblers body language is subdued. She isnt in victory mode.

But she is in a insanely dangerous profession. And a recruit that just died a few weeks ago did not make it. That is sad. But not something to be broken down by. You skip in on the flowers and show up for the funeral. Thats what i would be expecting from Dabbler.

Yes, she didn't explicitly reject the idea of moving rocks to get the portal key at all. I'm completely wrong.
    You are actually correct in being completely wrong there.
    She isnt rejecting the idea of moving the rocks there, she is stating that its impossible to reopen the portal.

"So!? Cast a spell and find it, i can dig.." is the bit where its suggested the rocks could be moved.

22. - Top - End - #142

So, what is Harems new information? I mean, with her power and telling "there's so many of me", it's probably obvious: There are more than five Harems now.

Is it the number six or the number ten? Or even higher numbers?

And is it because of her off-world experience then coming back with an additional copy? I don't see how her info would then be relevant to Maxima and Dabbler trying to rescue Sydney.

Or, just a random idea: is it because they landed in an alternate reality? I mean, Dave could easily ditch Sydney and have us adventure with the alternate reality Sydney, until original reality Sydney is back around...?

23. - Top - End - #143

My guess is, time travel. Stable loop, into the future. Since she's returned, at that point there would have been a "her" in the set of five on Earth, plus one on the Alari homeworld.

And I'm going to make a longshot guess, but I think it likely that the destruction of Sciona's homeworld, is/will be the result of her and her species' actions on Earth. And Sydney is targeted because the ones responsible are mad at either Sydney as the Orb holder in particular, or the Orb makers in general.
    Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    ---------------------
    Current occupation: Considering drawing a better Psionic Flame avatar.
    ---------------------
    Skills: Competent Modder, Proficient Programmer, Accomplished RTD Game Master, Adequate Artist, Dabbling Writer
    ---------------------
    Join Dropbox! It's free! And useful!

24. - Top - End - #144
    Titan in the Playground

I cant see any explanation for this other than time travel.
    Else there could not be a situation where there were suddenly more of Harem than the default 5.
    Though that does put a reasonable gap on how far ahead or back they could have traveled. Since it kinda need to be within Harems lifespan.

I doubt that the Alari action of a handful of ghosts on a insignificant little planet is what causes the extermination of their empire though.
    That earth is that important is just unlikely.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Note the position of Dabbler's ears in panel 6? It's a "what the heck are you talking about?" Nice touch.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

26. - Top - End - #146

Else there could not be a situation where there were suddenly more of Harem than the default 5.
    Though that does put a reasonable gap on how far ahead or back they could have traveled. Since it kinda need to be within Harems lifespan.

I doubt that the Alari action of a handful of ghosts on a insignificant little planet is what causes the extermination of their empire though.
    That earth is that important is just unlikely.
    There are some other explanations. Parallel reality for a start. I'd say "parallel reality" would be Dabbler's idea of "making it more complicated", while "time travel" would be "making it a lot easier".

And it's not that Earth is important at all, it's more that it's a force multiplier for a handful of ghosts with potential possession abilities. A large population of 'powered' individuals and a smorgasbord of parahuman/paranatural entities lends itself well to creating mischief. Add in the fact that the entity responsible for the destruction is also apparently targeting Sydney specifically, and you could see how there could be a connection.

My idea would be that they ended up creating something they shouldn't have, like that bloodmagic murder-golem that escaped Syd and the warehouse recon team. Something that absolutely hates Sciona and the Alari for creating it, and also has no warm feelings for Earth heroes who fought it in the past, going far beyond its original purpose and ending up as something capable of mass destruction.
    ---------------------
    ---------------------
    Skills: Competent Modder, Proficient Programmer, Accomplished RTD Game Master, Adequate Artist, Dabbling Writer
    ---------------------

27. - Top - End - #147

My guess is, time travel. Stable loop, into the future.
    Nope. Remember the comic before that newest one? Maxima does a soundoff of all personal, which according to Peggy is all still around, one of them with burns, one of them buried under an avalanche.
    Peggy would have started the comm briefing with "Maxima, you were gone for ten years" and...

... aaand hold on, it just clicked - the future is not where they are now, but where/when they were on the Alari homeworld. Harem is back to normal (now, but not then), so it was "just" her sixth copy that overwhelmed her. (Or possibly, she was overwhelmed because her abilities have grown and there were dozens Harems on Earth, in that future.) Which still begs the question how she synchronizes all her copies across lightyears. If that synchronization happened instantaneous, she would be the perfect intergalactical ambassador, especially if her teleport also happens instantaneous.

And the batteried souls that were unleashed through a portal into a past Earth (btw, where are they, at the exploded mountain side), are the reason that the galactic UN declared war on the Alari?

And the information that Harem had more copies, WAS relevant, because while on the Alari homeworld, she was receiving glimpses of what went on in the future.

Okay, thanks for pointing that out, everyone. Cool.

So, what will happen to Sydney after her shouting "FUUU..."?
    Okay, my guess is rather cheesy, but she will be picked up on the surface, and brought in to the commanding officer of the monstrous super-spaceship. Who will be a human of the distant future, telling her that she is out of place and time, and sending her home with just the pressing of a button...
    After Sydney gave them her autograph and did some selfies, because she was the most famous super hero in history.

28. - Top - End - #148

Quote Originally Posted by Onyavar View Post
    ...Which still begs the question how she synchronizes all her copies across lightyears. If that synchronization happened instantaneous, she would be the perfect intergalactical ambassador, especially if her teleport also happens instantaneous.
    That one's easy, it's already been described as essentially quantum-entanglement. Which works instantaneously regardless of distance.
    ---------------------
    ---------------------
    ---------------------

29. - Top - End - #149
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

That one's easy, it's already been described as essentially quantum-entanglement. Which works instantaneously regardless of distance.
    Im having one of those "Im pretty sure physicists are wizards" moments.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Im having one of those "Im pretty sure physicists are wizards" moments.
    No, it's one of those "Quantum physics ignores what we call common sense" moments.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!