New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 51 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Grrl Power IV: Constantly Expanded Universe

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    As we saw in the factory fight, the shield opens up for the PPO, and she can control the size os the aperture.

But we will now get to see what happens when you have now unlocked the subsidiary line on the Flyball.
    I dont think the shield opened, the aiming circle appeared on the outside. We see her other orbs, notably the hentorb appears outside the shield when she tries to use it. She literally CANT summon it inside. As for the second line, probably nothing yet, she still has to get another upgrade before she can try. Also, as was mentioned in the comment section, remeber she is wearing her "bullet resistant" outfit. So its entirely likely she has taken a minor wound at worst.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

2. - Top - End - #242

It's bullet resistant. Too bad she was hit by an energy blast. It's fully conceivable she now has a charred crater in her torso.

3. - Top - End - #243
    Troll in the Playground

It seems to be more of a rock or, at worst, some sort of spike or whatnot, rather than energy that ricocheted around. Debris from the energy attack.
    The stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up, do a bunch of stuff, and then go back to sleep.~ That's your horoscope for today.

4. - Top - End - #244
    Titan in the Playground

It's bullet resistant. Too bad she was hit by an energy blast. It's fully conceivable she now has a charred crater in her torso.
    She was hit by a piece of debris.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

5. - Top - End - #245
    Ogre in the Playground

Her orbs would be a bad set of soldier's gear if it didn't have a first aid kit in there somewhere (or a sickbay if you're insisting she's a spaceship ).

6. - Top - End - #246

Quote Originally Posted by BannedInSchool View Post
    Her orbs would be a bad set of soldier's gear if it didn't have a first aid kit in there somewhere (or a sickbay if you're insisting she's a spaceship ).
    Yeah, a large part of me is expecting her last orb to power up and take care of this. You know, now that I think about it, her period issues went away awfully fast considering how short a time has gone by. Maybe it passively healed her issues there?

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

7. - Top - End - #247
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Yeah, a large part of me is expecting her last orb to power up and take care of this. You know, now that I think about it, her period issues went away awfully fast considering how short a time has gone by. Maybe it passively healed her issues there?
    Not sure if it would work that way, it isn't really damage so much as just a natural cycling of materials. It could be providing some variety of pain relief though now that I think about it.
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

8. - Top - End - #248

It's been a week, so biology has progressed onwards. Also, Dave managed to not run the joke into the ground for once.

9. - Top - End - #249

Now there's a face we haven't seen for a while. And we got an actually funny joke.

10. - Top - End - #250

11. - Top - End - #251
    Firbolg in the Playground

MindFlayer

I'm a little annoyed that Sidney's Lightbee is able to allow her to teleport through the shield (which we're assuming works on the same tech as hers) when Harem's straight-up teleport couldn't. It's just another case of "I have your power but better plus many more" that plagues the superhero genre.

12. - Top - End - #252
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nettlekid View Post
    I'm a little annoyed that Sidney's Lightbee is able to allow her to teleport through the shield (which we're assuming works on the same tech as hers) when Harem's straight-up teleport couldn't. It's just another case of "I have your power but better plus many more" that plagues the superhero genre.
    If we're operating on the assumption that her orbs are build similarly the other guys, it makes some semblance of sense that her teleport can get past the shield where Harem's couldn't. If I was building both teleport and anti-teleport-shield capabilities into the same system, I'd probably put a backdoor into the anti-teleport-shield so that my own teleport could get through - that way, me and my friends can port into each others shields, but the enemy can't do the same. It's not unreasonable to give allies teleportation privileges, nor should the designers be faulted for assuming orbs wouldn't fall into enemy hands.

Of course, that explanation is assuming they're related technologies, which they might very well not be.

Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: Logic's Deathloop Mafia and Book Wombat's A Small Wager - A Practical Guide To Evil

Quote Originally Posted by Xumtiil View Post
    An Abattoir Vecna, if you will.
    My Homebrew

13. - Top - End - #253
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by AvatarVecna View Post
    If we're operating on the assumption that her orbs are build similarly the other guys, it makes some semblance of sense that her teleport can get past the shield where Harem's couldn't. If I was building both teleport and anti-teleport-shield capabilities into the same system, I'd probably put a backdoor into the anti-teleport-shield so that my own teleport could get through - that way, me and my friends can port into each others shields, but the enemy can't do the same. It's not unreasonable to give allies teleportation privileges, nor should the designers be faulted for assuming orbs wouldn't fall into enemy hands.

Of course, that explanation is assuming they're related technologies, which they might very well not be.
    Also, Harem's effective range is so much greater that im going to say her power is still the superior version.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

14. - Top - End - #254
    Ogre in the Playground

I think its clear the two shields have different operating principles. For example, one is a visible bubble and the other is not. Harem couldn't teleport through Sydney's shield. We don't know what would happen if Harem's tried to teleport through Cthulu's. Also we don't even know if Sydney actually got through the shield. It honestly looks like the shield hugs pretty closely. She probably is, but still.
    My deaths to wolves (or other evil night killers)
    Spoiler
    Show

Spytrap III, Ultimate Kaos II, Monty Python, Twin Village, Invasion of the Zombies: Outbreak, Vampires III

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow
    I think Lamech will make a great Sephiroth.
    A new New York IC OOC

15. - Top - End - #255
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lamech View Post
    I think its clear the two shields have different operating principles. For example, one is a visible bubble and the other is not. Harem couldn't teleport through Sydney's shield. We don't know what would happen if Harem's tried to teleport through Cthulu's. Also we don't even know if Sydney actually got through the shield. It honestly looks like the shield hugs pretty closely. She probably is, but still.
    I'd like to think we aren't going to be spending a dozen strips watching this thing no-sell Sydney in full detail. Maybe she'll get the shot, maybe something else will happen to distract her, but I want to believe that come Monday something happens other than "Sydney misjudged the radius of the shield and didn't actually get in."
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

16. - Top - End - #256

I'm honestly hoping for 'Sydney's attack fails and she is captured', since that would provide an avenue for learning about the Spectrum Spheres and then we find out how badly she's misusing them because of the lack of an owners manual.

17. - Top - End - #257

Im operating under the assumption that not all teleports work the same way. For example, sydneys works by sending a beacon of light to a location then somehow dragging her to it (possibly along the trail of light left behind?) In this case, if light can pass through the shield, and it does, it wouldnt be unreasonable for her light based teleportation to work. Im not sure if we have heard anything about the mechanics behind harems teleportation other than how its mostly line of sight, or to a place she is familiar with.

As for the next comic, im hoping we get to see how fast she is after she bisects the squidward with her ppo on single beam attack and has to dodge its falling carcass. Though that part will probably be thursday as I expect monday to end with an "Eep!" as she sees it falling on her. I am also curious to see if she gets another upgrade quickly or not. If its through raw usage of the orbs then I could easily see her, once she gets back, just going somewhere in the archon facility and juggling cement blocks with her lighthook or teleporting all over the building for several hours just trying to grind out points. (Im honestly surprised she hadnt been doing that anyways just to test if that lets her upgrade faster in the first place)

18. - Top - End - #258
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

At times like I wonder if Vale while very different from humans physically, isn't really all that different mentally.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

19. - Top - End - #259

Quote Originally Posted by HandofShadows View Post
    At times like I wonder if Vale while very different from humans physically, isn't really all that different mentally.
    Its possible she shares some human traits, otherwise there would be no way for deus to really interact with her if she was utterly alien. Im also wondering what his big plan here is. Though with deus its entirely possible this tower has nothing to do with the skybreaker, he was just overseeing the completion of it when she showed up. Dude has a LOT of plots and plans going on. For all we know he intends to use it to open a portal to a realm that will provide the air pressure he needs to create absurd renewable energy levels in that tower and every other one he builds. Or he intends to open a portal to another dimension so he can be the first interdimensional corporate entity on earth.

20. - Top - End - #260
    Titan in the Playground

I dont think the tower has anything done with the Skybreaker.
    Likely it is some sort of renewable energy source taking advantage of mirrors and sunlight.

I suspect she is a lot like humans mentally. It seems she is mainly working for Deues because he is managing to be amusing.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

21. - Top - End - #261

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    I dont think the tower has anything done with the Skybreaker.
    Likely it is some sort of renewable energy source taking advantage of mirrors and sunlight.
    Nope. A solar updraft tower works almost entirely on the differences in temperatures at different layers of the atmosphere. Similar to an OTEC loop in the ocean.

22. - Top - End - #262
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Nope. A solar updraft tower works almost entirely on the differences in temperatures at different layers of the atmosphere. Similar to an OTEC loop in the ocean.
    So we're looking at yet another investment in his bonsai nation. I really hope he's an egomaniacal philanthropist and not a villain with good PR. The idea of a Lex Luthor/Doctor Doom type legitimately laughing all the way to the bank just makes me smile.
    Spoiler: My inventory:
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Jammy Dodger (I was promised tea)
    1 Godwin Point.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairos Theodosian
    It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.

23. - Top - End - #263
    Bugbear in the Playground

Can you imagine what kind of updraft a portal to the stratosphere would create? I'm assuming the Skybreaker can open a portal to anywhere (and potentially anywhen, given its latest misadventure), it just needs proper targeting.
    Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    ---------------------
    Current occupation: Considering drawing a better Psionic Flame avatar.
    ---------------------
    Skills: Competent Modder, Proficient Programmer, Accomplished RTD Game Master, Adequate Artist, Dabbling Writer
    ---------------------
    Join Dropbox! It's free! And useful!

24. - Top - End - #264
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Calemyr View Post
    So we're looking at yet another investment in his bonsai nation. I really hope he's an egomaniacal philanthropist and not a villain with good PR. The idea of a Lex Luthor/Doctor Doom type legitimately laughing all the way to the bank just makes me smile.
    There's a reason Cut Lex Luthor a Check is a major trope.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

25. - Top - End - #265

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Mirrsen View Post
    Can you imagine what kind of updraft a portal to the stratosphere would create? I'm assuming the Skybreaker can open a portal to anywhere (and potentially anywhen, given its latest misadventure), it just needs proper targeting.
    He doesn't even need to do that. A standard SUT generates roughly 10% the power BoulderHoover Dam does. He's building two. That's more than enough power for his pocket nation.

26. - Top - End - #266

He doesn't even need to do that. A standard SUT generates roughly 10% the power BoulderHoover Dam does. He's building two. That's more than enough power for his pocket nation.
    Depends on what he wants to do there. If its run a normal nation, sure. If its run his own Genosha, maybe not.

27. - Top - End - #267
    Troll in the Playground

Deus doesn't do adequate. Sure he could have enough power. But that wouldn't be all the power would it.
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

28. - Top - End - #268

More than enough power? You're just asking for someone to contradict. Okay I'd say it depends.

How big is this Galtyn anyway? It's a fictional area that seceded from Kongo/Zaire. Rebel provinces from there have historically been as large as Katanga, which was the size of California. Both of the unstable Kivu provinces alone are bigger than Ruanda.

So, I had been thinking about Ruanda/Burundi/Lesotho-size, which means it's likely one of the smallest nations of Africa... and still the size of Belgium(!) or New Hampshire. A really large area.
    You can fit between one and thirty Million people in such a nation (probably on the low end of the scale but there must be a population boom happening). There could be large cities, and still lots of room to farm, sweatshop, and have a huge national reservation.

Even if Galtyn is only a fraction as large as Ruanda, it would have huge potential. Singapore or NYC are ~2% that size and still notable economies. (But really, african warlords would hardly claim to be a king with palace and gold crown for less than a thousand square kms. Unless they conquered a major town that already had a (procincial) palace, which again means Galtyn can be assumed as province-sized.)

If you industrialize quickly, the power requirements escalate fast. If you even plan to use it as your secret super weapon base, you'll need much more dakka, and soon.

29. - Top - End - #269

You need more history in your diet. People have claimed to be kings (with castles and gold crowns) with a lot less than a thousand square kilometers. At one point in Irish history, you could pass four kings in their castles in a day's walk.

Also, Hoover Dam generates 4.2 Terawatts of power annually--enough to power just about everything between the Rockies and the Mississippi River. Deus having a fifth of that (840 Gigawatts) was factored into the assessment that it was more than enough for Galytn's needs.

30. - Top - End - #270

Also, Hoover Dam generates 4.2 Terawatts of power annually--enough to power just about everything between the Rockies and the Mississippi River. Deus having a fifth of that (840 Gigawatts) was factored into the assessment that it was more than enough for Galytn's needs.
    Annual Terawatt-hours. It's how much energy it generates through the whole year. Its actual output is around 2 Gigawatts, so Deus "merely" has around 400MW at his disposal for continuous use. Which is certainly significant, quite possibly well enough for any civilian applications in Galytn. The issue is that Deus wants something beyond civilian applications - and in order to have an excess he can hide, he needs his powerplants to generate more than they should theoretically be capable of.
    Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    ---------------------
    Current occupation: Considering drawing a better Psionic Flame avatar.
    ---------------------
    Skills: Competent Modder, Proficient Programmer, Accomplished RTD Game Master, Adequate Artist, Dabbling Writer
    ---------------------
    Join Dropbox! It's free! And useful!