New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 34 of 51 FirstFirst ... 9242526272829303132333435363738394041424344 ... LastLast
Results 991 to 1,020 of 1521
  1. - Top - End - #991
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Simple RAW for 5e 4: Smackdown v. RAW

Quote Originally Posted by viaFAMILIAR View Post
    Q340 does the target of hex know they've been cursed?
    A340 From page 204 of the PHB (under 'Targets'):
    Unless a spell has a perceptible effect, a creature might not know it was targeted by a spell at all. An effect like crackling lightning is obvious, but a more subtle effect, such as an attempt to read a creature’s thoughts, typically goes unnoticed, unless a spell says otherwise.
    Hex doesn't mention any perceptible physical effects or say that the creature is aware, so no.

2. - Top - End - #992
    Titan in the Playground

340 addendum:

That's assuming that you mean before the Hexed creature is subject to any attack from the caster. Taking extra necrotic damage, in addition to the force or slashing or whatever damage that the attack would normally deal, should count as "perceptible".
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

3. - Top - End - #993
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
    340 addendum:

That's assuming that you mean before the Hexed creature is subject to any attack from the caster. Taking extra necrotic damage, in addition to the force or slashing or whatever damage that the attack would normally deal, should count as "perceptible".
    Q340a would the effect on the chosen ability score be "perceptible"?
    Last edited by viaFAMILIAR; 2019-07-14 at 10:03 AM.
    "That 'fluff', is RAW"

4. - Top - End - #994
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

Q341 would a double proficiency bonus be applied to passive ability checks? What about the bonus from a stone of good luck?
    "That 'fluff', is RAW"

5. - Top - End - #995
    Titan in the Playground

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by viaFAMILIAR View Post
    Q341 would a double proficiency bonus be applied to passive ability checks? What about the bonus from a stone of good luck?
    A341 yes to both. Your passive score is 10+your normal bonus, which includes double proficiency and magic item bonuses.

As evidence, there are lots of monsters whose listed passive perception is 10+ their perception score, which includes a number equal to twice the appropriate proficiency for that CR.
    Last edited by PhoenixPhyre; 2019-07-14 at 02:18 PM.

6. - Top - End - #996
    Barbarian in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by John Cribati View Post
    Q339: Would Detect Magic be able to detect the use of an Anti-Magic Field?
    A339

No.

Detect magic would detect that there's magic (it does so due to how, RAW, it doesn't exclude the caster from the area... ... ...) but since every part of the area of effect of a spell that overlaps the area of an antimagic field is negated, the fact that detect magic only shows the presence of magic on creatures or items (and not areas) and so on... you would have no "visual" indication nor you would get any information in regards to the school.

Edit: for info, next question is Q242 Q342

Yep, totally messed up.
    Last edited by ThePolarBear; 2019-07-15 at 04:57 AM.

7. - Top - End - #997
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ThePolarBear View Post
    Edit: for info, next question is Q242
    Q342 you mean.

Powers &8^]

8. - Top - End - #998
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

Q 342 Is it possible to be prone and mounted at the same time? Specifically, can I be prone while my mount is taking a ranged attack, redirecting the attack at me with disadvantage?
    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    But as we've agreed, sometimes the real power was the friends we made along the way, including the DM. I wish I could go on more articulate rants about how I'm grateful for DMs putting in the effort on a hard job even when it isn't perfect.

9. - Top - End - #999
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    Q 342 Is it possible to be prone and mounted at the same time? Specifically, can I be prone while my mount is taking a ranged attack, redirecting the attack at me with disadvantage?
    A342
    PHB page 198 (under Mounting and Dismounting):
    If an effect moves your mount against its will while you're on it, you must succeed on a DC 10 Dexterity saving throw or fall off the mount, landing prone in a space within 5 feet of it. If you're knocked prone while mounted, you must make the same saving throw.
    Arguably because of the wording "knocked prone" you wouldn't have to make the saving throw if you intentionally drop yourself prone, but it is definitely possible to be prone while mounted.

10. - Top - End - #1000
    Pixie in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Q343a: Can the spell Holy Weapon be Twinned by a Sorcerer?
    Q343b: If so, what is the effect of using a bonus action to dismiss the spell? Can, or must the weapon enchantments be dispelled simultaneously, or can/must they be activated separately?

11. - Top - End - #1001
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RedzoneX View Post
    Q343a: Can the spell Holy Weapon be Twinned by a Sorcerer?
    A343 No. Twinned Spell can only be used on spells that target one creature, and Holy Weapon doesn't target a creature, it targets a weapon.

12. - Top - End - #1002
    Bugbear in the Playground

Q 344 : For the purposes of a Rust Monster's ability, does the AC "offered" by their armor include their Dex modifier?
    For example, Scale Mail has an AC of "14 + Dex (Max +2)" so would it take 4 hits or 6 to reduce the AC it offers to 10?

Quote Originally Posted by Rust Monster
    If the object touched is either metal armor or a metal Shield being worn or carried, its takes a permanent and cumulative -1 penalty to the AC it offers. Armor reduced to an AC of 10 or a Shield that drops to a +0 bonus is destroyed.
    Last edited by gr8artist; 2019-07-20 at 03:38 PM. Reason: Numbering on mobile

13. - Top - End - #1003

Lizardfolk

A344 While the total AC of the wearer of said armor may be higher than 10, the Armor's provided AC would be reduced to 10 in 4 hits, as at that point the armor's AC would be 10, and the character's AC would include the Dex bonus. I hope that phrasing makes sense!
    "I may be a Hobgoblin, but the real mythical creature I'm playing is an Ethical Billionaire"

14. - Top - End - #1004
    Troll in the Playground

A 344 Slight technical point--once the AC bonus has been dropped to 0 (AC 10 armor) it's considered destroyed. Until then you're wearing less effective medium armor with a max dex bonus of two. This became relevant for my barbarian wearing a breastplate (AC 14 + 2 dex) that a black pudding was reducing. I thought my AC reverted to 15 (10 +3 con + 2 dex) but since I was technically still wearing armor, I wasn't getting my unarmored defense UNTIL it was completely destroyed after 4 hits so my AC kept dropping each round making it easier for the black pudding to hit me. Then my AC suddenly jumped up to 15 due to unarmored defense.
    If you cast Dispel Magic on my Gust of Wind, does that mean you're disgusting?

In real estate, they say it's all about location, location, location. In D&D I say it's about action economy, action economy, action economy.

Crystal Mage -- a homebrewed arcane tradition

15. - Top - End - #1005

SwashbucklerGuy

Q.345: I'm creating a Divine Soul sorcerer.

I have the Distant Spell metamagic, which says, "When you cast a spell that has a RANGE of 5 feet or greater, you can spend 1 sorcery point to double the RANGE of the spell".

The spell spirit guardians, under the 'Range' entry, says, "Range: Self (15-foot radius)".

So, does Distant Spell double the radius to 30-foot (on the grounds that the radius is mentioned in the entry for 'range', which makes it able to be affected by Distant Spell), OR does Distant Spell not apply at all (on the grounds that the range is 'Self')?

16. - Top - End - #1006
    Titan in the Playground

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by Arial Black View Post
    Q.345: I'm creating a Divine Soul sorcerer.

I have the Distant Spell metamagic, which says, "When you cast a spell that has a RANGE of 5 feet or greater, you can spend 1 sorcery point to double the RANGE of the spell".

The spell spirit guardians, under the 'Range' entry, says, "Range: Self (15-foot radius)".

So, does Distant Spell double the radius to 30-foot (on the grounds that the radius is mentioned in the entry for 'range', which makes it able to be affected by Distant Spell), OR does Distant Spell not apply at all (on the grounds that the range is 'Self')?
    A 345. The range to the target (Self) is always 0 and twice 0 is still 0. No affect. The radius of spells is unchanged by the Distant Spell metamagic. Yah, they really should have found a different way to write those burst/emanation/cone spells. I'm partial to 4e's Burst/Blast/Cone notation myself.

Note that with that particular spell, the radius is called out in the text as well and not designated a range:

You call forth spirits to protect you. They flit around you to a distance of 15 feet for the duration. If you are good or neutral, their spectral form appears angelic or fey (your choice). If you are evil, they appear fiendish.
    Last edited by PhoenixPhyre; 2019-07-21 at 05:19 PM.
    Dawn of Hope: a 5e setting. http://wiki.admiralbenbo.org
    Rogue Equivalent Damage calculator, now prettier and more configurable!
    5e Monster Data Sheet--vital statistics for all 693 MM, Volo's, and now MToF monsters: Updated!
    NIH system 5e fork, very much WIP. Base github repo.
    NIH System PDF Up to date main-branch build version.

17. - Top - End - #1007
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q346 Is there a raw (ship) cannon ?
    Last edited by Myth27; 2019-07-22 at 03:02 PM.

18. - Top - End - #1008
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Myth27 View Post
    Q346 Is there a raw (ship) cannon ?
    A346: There is a cannon in the DMG under some firearm/siege weapon rules, page 267-268. It deals 8d10 damage.

The Ghosts of Saltmarsh also have some rules on artillery fire, as well as how many/type of siege weapons you can have on a ship based on its size.
    Last edited by Man_Over_Game; 2019-07-22 at 03:13 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by KOLE View Post
    MOG, design a darn RPG system. Seriously, the amount of ideas I’ve gleaned from your posts has been valuable. You’re a gem of the community here.

5th Edition Homebrewery
    Prestige Options, changing primary attributes to open a world of new multiclassing.
    Adrenaline Surge, fitting Short Rests into combat to fix bosses/Short Rest Classes.
    Pain, using Exhaustion to make tactical martial combatants.
    Fate Sorcery, lucky winner of the 5e D&D Subclass Contest VII!

19. - Top - End - #1009
    Pixie in the Playground

Q#347
    Is good berry affected by life cleric level one?

20. - Top - End - #1010
    Troll in the Playground

A 347 I honestly don't think this is a simple one. Be prepared to make a new thread. That said, by my reading of the life cleric ability, the answer is "no". It would arguably apply if you allow the life cleric to administer the berry, i.e. hand feed it. By RAW, they have to eat it themselves so the life cleric is not healing them with a spell. He's providing a means for them to heal themselves.
    If you cast Dispel Magic on my Gust of Wind, does that mean you're disgusting?

In real estate, they say it's all about location, location, location. In D&D I say it's about action economy, action economy, action economy.

Crystal Mage -- a homebrewed arcane tradition

21. - Top - End - #1011
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGirl

Q:348
    Assuming a Pact of the Chain warlock with the Voice of the Chain Master: If you see an enemy (not in cover) through your familiar's senses, can you make a ranged spell attack against that target from your position? (Assuming you have the range to hit the enemy, of course)
    Last edited by airless_wing; 2019-07-23 at 09:49 AM. Reason: Added question number

22. - Top - End - #1012
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dalebert View Post
    A 347 I honestly don't think this is a simple one. Be prepared to make a new thread. That said, by my reading of the life cleric ability, the answer is "no". It would arguably apply if you allow the life cleric to administer the berry, i.e. hand feed it. By RAW, they have to eat it themselves so the life cleric is not healing them with a spell. He's providing a means for them to heal themselves.
    R347
    Sage Advice says "Yes", but this also would imply that the level 6 Life Cleric feature would also heal the Life Cleric whenever someone ate one of the Goodberries.

RAW, Dalebert is right. The spell conjures something, not heals someone. The healing is a side effect of the conjured item when it's eaten, but the casting itself doesn't actually heal anything (where something like Cure Wounds/Healing Word does). To compound on this fact, the Life Cleric features state "When you cast a spell", and no healing is done at the time of casting.
    Quote Originally Posted by KOLE View Post
    MOG, design a darn RPG system. Seriously, the amount of ideas I’ve gleaned from your posts has been valuable. You’re a gem of the community here.

5th Edition Homebrewery
    Prestige Options, changing primary attributes to open a world of new multiclassing.
    Adrenaline Surge, fitting Short Rests into combat to fix bosses/Short Rest Classes.
    Pain, using Exhaustion to make tactical martial combatants.
    Fate Sorcery, lucky winner of the 5e D&D Subclass Contest VII!

23. - Top - End - #1013

Quote Originally Posted by airless_wing View Post
    Q:348
    Assuming a Pact of the Chain warlock with the Voice of the Chain Master: If you see an enemy (not in cover) through your familiar's senses, can you make a ranged spell attack against that target from your position? (Assuming you have the range to hit the enemy, of course)
    A:348 Generally no, but not entirely.

It takes your Action to look through your familiars eyes, and you can do so until the start of your next turn.

So any spell that requires an Action to cast is not available; BUT, there is wiggle room for a Bonus Action Spell to be used, like Misty Step, though.

Also, if you have the Metamagic Quicken (or similar ability) you could pull off a Bonus Action offensive ranged Spell Attack npnp.
    Quote Originally Posted by kamap View Post
    Also don't try to bring logic into the argument it has left the building ages ago since magic made its appearance.

24. - Top - End - #1014

SolithKnightGuy

Q349a
    Well Detect Magic reveal if I have a contingency spell active?

Q349b
    Will casting dispel magic on a creature with an active contingency spell successfully dispell the Contingency spell? (Assuming a successful roll on the check obviously)

25. - Top - End - #1015
    Titan in the Playground

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by Galithar View Post
    Q349a
    Well Detect Magic reveal if I have a contingency spell active?

Q349b
    Will casting dispel magic on a creature with an active contingency spell successfully dispell the Contingency spell? (Assuming a successful roll on the check obviously)
    A349a: Detect magic will reveal that you have magic affecting you, and will reveal the school(s) including that of contingency. It does not give specifics--that's what identify is for.

A349b: yes. It checks against each and every spell active on the creature. Contingency is a spell active on the creature. Thus, it can and will dispel that (modulo the check, of course).
    5e Monster Data Sheet--vital statistics for all 693 MM, Volo's, and now MToF monsters: Updated!

26. - Top - End - #1016
    Pixie in the Playground

Q#350
    Can I twin eldritch blast? (5th level)
    it would seem that I could not, but a lot of guides I have seen have suggested that it can be twinned (sorcerer lvl 3)

27. - Top - End - #1017
    Titan in the Playground

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by No1ofIntrst View Post
    Q#350
    Can I twin eldritch blast? (5th level)
    it would seem that I could not, but a lot of guides I have seen have suggested that it can be twinned (sorcerer lvl 3)
    A350

EB can be twinned before character level 5, but not afterward. The condition on the twin metamagic is if the spell is capable of affecting more than one target per casting. Which level 5+ EB can, so it is not eligible.

Quote Originally Posted by PHB
    To be eligible, a spell must be incapable of targeting more than one creature at the spell’s current level. For example, magic missile and scorching ray aren’t eligible, but ray of frost and chromatic orb are.

28. - Top - End - #1018
    Pixie in the Playground

Q351: The Archivist (artificer subclass) can manifest a mind as a bonus action at any point within 60’. It can also cause the mind to move 30’ per turn as a bonus action and dismiss it as a bonus action (it also disappears if it gets more than 300’ away). Can the archivist remanifest it in a different location within 60’ of them without first dismissing it (to get around the 30’ movement limit)?
    Last edited by Armisael; 2019-07-28 at 11:17 AM.

29. - Top - End - #1019
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Q352:

Character A is approaching Character B. Character B hides in a bush and rolls Stealth(20). Character A, in responce, rolls Perception(15). Is Character B now completelly invisible for character A? Can Character A in any way detect character B? How, mechanically?

I'm interested in "the status" of B vs. all creatures, which have failed their Perception vs B's Stealth. Are all creatures deemed to have Blinded status vs. B? Or do other creatures know the square, B is in, but have only disatvantage for attacks vs. B?

thanks

30. - Top - End - #1020
    Titan in the Playground

A 352:

Creatures who fail their perception check against B do not perceive B, and therefore do not know he's there. There are very few situations where such a creature would even attempt to attack or otherwise affect B, so the question of disadvantage on those attacks is moot. In the rare case that they do have reason to suspect B's presence without perceiving it (for instance, they have met the party before, and knows that the people they do perceive are usually in the company of a stealthy rogue), they might attempt to guess various likely hiding places and attack them, but those are pure guesses, and would still involve disadvantage even if they did guess correctly.

The way, mechanically, for creatures to detect B is to roll Perception checks, and that's already failed. They might have more chances to do so, depending on subsequent actions and events.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics