New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 51 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Default Simple RAW for 5e 4: Smackdown v. RAW

(This is a fairly high procedure thread; please read the entire instructions carefully before posting. Thanks.)

Ever have a simple, straight-forward rules question that you can’t figure out the answer to? Ask it here. No question is too simple. No more worrying about whether your question is “worth” starting a thread. Ask here and receive an answer. You are, of course, welcome to start a thread for your question, and if you think your question is subject to many interpretations or will start a debate, you are encouraged to start a new thread for it.

This thread will serve as a catch-all for simple, discreet questions that can be answered quickly according to the RAW (Rules As Written). This thread is for all simple RAW questions about D&D 5. If your question is not about the RAW for 5, please look in the appropriate threads in the appropriate forums.

The Procedure:

Do:
    Label your questions with bold Q#s.
    Label your answers with the bold Q# that you are responding to and/or quote the question.
    Be sure that your answer is correct before you post it; if you are the least bit uncertain, just let it pass and get the next one.
    Try to give your answers in as clear and straightforward terms as possible.
    Feel free to quote or link to relevant rules in the SRD, Errata, or FAQ that supports your answer. (You may want to give your answer and then modify it to add support – otherwise someone else may answer while you’re assembling yours.)
    Specify if your question is for a system other than D&D (the default for this thread).

Don’t:
    Ask Homebrew rules questions here.
    Ask trick questions or attempt to “stump the panel,” so to speak.
    Answer a question that’s already been answered.
    Offer contradictions, clarifications, exceptions, or extensions of prior answers unless, in your opinion, the answer give is plainly and completely wrong.
    Post to debate the answers given.
    Post to carry on other conversations whether tangentially related or wholly unrelated.

Dispute Resolution Procedure:
    If you dispute someone’s answer – meaning that they got it wrong in a critical fashion – post your answer and suggest that the original questioner start a thread to discuss it further if they want it hashed out.
    If someone disputes your answer, don’t respond. Just wait to see if the original questioner starts a new thread to discuss it.
    If your question leads to a disputed answer, start a new thread if you’d like it discussed further.

Here are some sample questions. “Bad” questions just mean they should be asked in their own thread where you can get many answers and opinions. “Good” questions just mean that these are the types of questions that are amenable to a quick straightforward answer (probably).

Sample “Bad” Questions:
    How do I play D&D? (Great question, but not for this thread.)
    What is a good 10 level TWF build? (Far too broad and requires much opinion)
    What +2 LA race should I take for my sorcerer build? (Again, an opinion question)
    Which is better GURPS or D&D?

Sample “Good” Questions:
    Q.1. Are there any Large player races?
    Q.2. As a sorcerer/rogue, do I get to add sneak attack damage to my attack spells?
    Q.3. What effect would Dispel Magic have on a golem or similar construct?
    Q.4. Is there a feat that allows me to get a familiar?

Please start over with the numbering. When this one reached 50 pages, please report it so that we can start a new one. Thanks.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

Default Re: Simple RAW for 5e 4: Smackdown v. RAW

Q 001 If a creature has a quality stating that its natural attacks as well as weapons it wields count as magic for bypassing resistance/ immunity, how does that affect the creature's unarmed strikes, which are neither wielded weapons nor natural attacks?
    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    But as we've agreed, sometimes the real power was the friends we made along the way, including the DM. I wish I could go on more articulate rants about how I'm grateful for DMs putting in the effort on a hard job even when it isn't perfect.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

Q 001 If a creature has a quality stating that its natural attacks as well as weapons it wields count as magic for bypassing resistance/ immunity, how does that affect the creature's unarmed strikes, which are neither wielded weapons nor natural attacks?
    So RAW no, their unarmed strikes would not count as magic for the purposes of resistance/immunity. However in practice I would think any creature that has a natural weapon would never be making unarmed strikes; it would just make attacks with its natural weapons, which would presumably do more damage. Do you have a specific example of a creature with such a quality that would be making unarmed strikes?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

re001 I seem to have mixed up some terminology because angels say that their weapon attacks count as magic weapons and golems use the same phrasing. Unarmed strikes are still weapon attacks, correct?
    But as we've agreed, sometimes the real power was the friends we made along the way, including the DM. I wish I could go on more articulate rants about how I'm grateful for DMs putting in the effort on a hard job even when it isn't perfect.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

re001 I seem to have mixed up some terminology because angels say that their weapon attacks count as magic weapons and golems use the same phrasing. Unarmed strikes are still weapon attacks, correct?
    re001 Yep, in their stat block a golem's slam is labelled "Melee Weapon Attack", so their Magic Weapons trait applies to their slam attack.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

Imp

Q002: Cleric spell list preparation: seems like if a cleric wishes to change just one spell of the list of prepared spells, the cleric must meditate for one minute per spell level of every spell on the list--even the spells that aren't changing. Is this correct?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BeefGood View Post
    Q002: Cleric spell list preparation: seems like if a cleric wishes to change just one spell of the list of prepared spells, the cleric must meditate for one minute per spell level of every spell on the list--even the spells that aren't changing. Is this correct?
    A:002 This is correct.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

Q003Am I right in my reading that the spell Tasha's Hideous Laughter still allows an affected target to move? They fall prone, are unable to stand up, and are incapacitated (preventing Actions and Reactions), but they could still move as long as they were crawling (and thus spending 1 extra foot of movement per foot moved), correct?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Halfling in the Playground

Q004 If a target has Magic Resistance (advantage on saving throws against spells and other magical effects), does it have advantage vs the Monk's Ki features, such as Open Hand Technique and Stunning Strike?

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Platypusbill View Post
    Q004 If a target has Magic Resistance (advantage on saving throws against spells and other magical effects), does it have advantage vs the Monk's Ki features, such as Open Hand Technique and Stunning Strike?
    A004 http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/feat...-february-2016 This sage advice has some guidelines for determining if an effect is magical:

Ask yourself these questions about the feature:
    • Is it a magic item?
    • Is it a spell? Or does it let you create the effects of a spell that’s mentioned in its description?
    • Is it a spell attack?
    • Does its description say it’s magical?
    In the case of Ki features, in general the answer to all of these questions is 'no'. (Ki is described as a 'mystic energy', but not 'magic'). Elemental Disciplines that allow you to cast spells would be subject to Magic Resistance, but not Open Hand Technique or Stunning Strike.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

Q005 Couple questions about Simulacrum:
    A Simulacrum explicitly can't regain expended spell slots, could it regain other limited-use resources? Say, Superiority Die, or a Paladin's Lay on Hands? What about if Simulacrum was used to duplicate a creature with Innate Spellcasting, would it regain uses of that creature's limited use spells?
    When Simulacrum is cast, and the creature being duplicated has expended some of their limited-use resources (in particular spell slots), is the simulacrum created with the maximum amount available, or only the amount the creature being duplicated had available when Simulacrum was cast?

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by leogobsin View Post
    Q003Am I right in my reading that the spell Tasha's Hideous Laughter still allows an affected target to move? They fall prone, are unable to stand up, and are incapacitated (preventing Actions and Reactions), but they could still move as long as they were crawling (and thus spending 1 extra foot of movement per foot moved), correct?
    A003

It's a little weird, but it seems you're correct. The incapacitated condition imposes no movement restrictions. Only Actions and Reactions are prohibited, though the spell additionally says the victim is prone and cannot stand up.

Powers &8^]

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Q006 Question about attacking range and movement

What happens when Creature A uses an action to make an attack against Creature B, to which Creature B uses an reaction to move away from the attacking range of Creature A?

For instance, let's say Creature B has used the Ready action on his previous turn, declaring he will activate Misty Step in reaction to an attack being declared against him. Creature A attacks Creature B with his greatsword, using his action, but before the attack hits, Creature B moves away 30ft, out of the range of the greatsword.

In this case, does the action of Creature A get wasted, or does he get to re-do his move, getting to move 30ft up to Creature B and attacking him?

Same stuff can be said involving a Creature C (who has Repelling Blast) that has declared he will cast Eldritch Blast on Creature B in reaction to an attack being declared against Creature B.
    Last edited by Gastronomie; 2018-06-28 at 11:38 PM.
    Spoiler: Avatar
    Show

^ Fantastic avatar made by Professor Gnoll. Yaya Tokaz, from the manga "Kukul and Nagi". ^
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Malifice View Post
    Only on a DnD forum would discussing the methods for jamming a T-Rex into a 10x10x10 box be a thing.
    Extended Signature: Homebrew Stuff
    Unlimited Blade Works: The Guide to the Ultimate Paladin/Sorcerer Multiclass

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

A006 A Readied Action takes place after the trigger is resolved.
    If the trigger is "having an attack declared against me", then the attack takes place and then the reaction can be taken to do the ready action. (Declaring attack is not a state isolated from the attack itself.) So B attacks A and then A can cast misty step if he didn't lost concentration.
    If the trigger is "having someone close enough to attack me", A can teleport before any attack. B hasn't declared any attack and his action is not wasted. He can still use what's left of his action and movement to do something else (or get to A and attack if he has enough movement).

The same goes for the C creature with its eldritch blast readied.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

Q007 Do summoned creatures need to understand your language in order to obey your verbal commands? I'm thinking specifically of the spell "conjure elemental"s where you can summon an earth elemental that only speaks terran and is required by the spell to obey your verbal commands but the spell doesn't say the summoned creature understands your language or is telepathic or emotionally linked with you or other stuff

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Red Bear View Post
    Q007 Do summoned creatures need to understand your language in order to obey your verbal commands? I'm thinking specifically of the spell "conjure elemental"s where you can summon an earth elemental that only speaks terran and is required by the spell to obey your verbal commands but the spell doesn't say the summoned creature understands your language or is telepathic or emotionally linked with you or other stuff
    A007 My impression would be that the phrase "obeys any verbal commands that you issue" means regardless of whether or not you share a language (because if this weren't true it would be impossible for you to command most of the beasts summonable by Conjure Animals, as they don't speak any languages).

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Q008 Regarding the Spell Teleportation Circle, if you us a permanent Circle to start your destination do you still expand the material componants?

18. - Top - End - #18
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by sightlessrealit View Post
    Q008 Regarding the Spell Teleportation Circle, if you us a permanent Circle to start your destination do you still expand the material componants?
    A008 Teleportation Circle doesn't actually make any allowances for using a permanent circle as the starting point for teleporting. RAW, permanent teleportation circles are only destinations, even if you're at a permanent circle you need to draw out your own new circle, consuming the required material components, in order to cast Teleportation Circle.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Bugbear in the Playground

Q 009
    If the players find an ogre's 2-handed weapon, something too large for them to use, and they cast Enlarge/Reduce on it (to reduce it's size), can they use it then? The spell specifies an object not worn or carried, but can they carry it after you cast?
    My Homebrew and Extended Signature
    Current avatar: Charza Sahlaren, by gr8artist

20. - Top - End - #20
    Barbarian in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by gr8artist View Post
    Q 009
    If the players find an ogre's 2-handed weapon, something too large for them to use, and they cast Enlarge/Reduce on it (to reduce it's size), can they use it then? The spell specifies an object not worn or carried, but can they carry it after you cast?
    A009

There is nothing saying you cannot use a reduced object as a weapon. I imagine it would simply be a medium sized greatclub, with the stats as per the PHB.

21. - Top - End - #21

Q 010

A Tabaxi Monk with 20 Dex attacking with a spear will do 1d6+5 if they hit, and be able to make a claw attack as a bonus action, which would deal 1d4+5 if it hits, right? By spend 1 Ki, they could make 2 claw attacks as a bonus action instead, each dealing 1d4+5?

It's a bit weird that Two-Weapon Fighting doesn't get Dex to dmg on off-hand attacks, but Monk Martial Arts seem to.
    Rules that supersede Rule 0:

Rule -1: You're all there to have fun. The GM and the players should never do anything that would limit people's fun, for any in-game or real-life reason.

Rule -0.5 (corollary): That means that if someone's fun is getting in the way of other people's fun, that person needs to change how they're playing.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wonton View Post
    Q 010

A Tabaxi Monk with 20 Dex attacking with a spear will do 1d6+5 if they hit, and be able to make a claw attack as a bonus action, which would deal 1d4+5 if it hits, right? By spend 1 Ki, they could make 2 claw attacks as a bonus action instead, each dealing 1d4+5?

It's a bit weird that Two-Weapon Fighting doesn't get Dex to dmg on off-hand attacks, but Monk Martial Arts seem to.
    A 010 I'm not entirely sure what part of this you're unsure about, but all the numbers you've got there seem correct. Keep in mind, any Monk's unarmed strikes would deal 1d4 damage, because of Martial Arts, and this damage would increase as they gain Monk Levels.

The general rule is that you add your ability modifier to damage rolls of attacks; Two-Weapon Fighting is a specific exception to this rule.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Orc in the Playground

Q 011 Could an Eldritch Knight or Arcane Trickster use spell scrolls for spells on the Wizard list? The description for a spell scroll says "If the spell is on your class's spell list, you can read the scroll and cast its spell..." As an Arcane Trickster or Eldritch Knight you learn spells from the Wizard list, but (unless you're multiclassed) Wizard isn't actually "your class", so can you use Wizard spell scrolls?

24. - Top - End - #24

BarbarianGuy

Q 011 Could an Eldritch Knight or Arcane Trickster use spell scrolls for spells on the Wizard list? The description for a spell scroll says "If the spell is on your class's spell list, you can read the scroll and cast its spell..." As an Arcane Trickster or Eldritch Knight you learn spells from the Wizard list, but (unless you're multiclassed) Wizard isn't actually "your class", so can you use Wizard spell scrolls?
    A011 RAW: No. RAI: Yes.

https://www.sageadvice.eu/2014/11/26...dritch-wizard/

Jeremy is usually very good at pointing to a specific passage in a rule book to answer a question. The fact that he himself says that the “Intent” is yes tells me that RAW means no...

25. - Top - End - #25
    Halfling in the Playground

Q 12 What happens if an enemy is struck by two Prismatic Spray rays and you roll the same type for both?

Spoiler
    Show

7th-level Evocation (Sorcerer, Wizard)

Casting Time: 1 action

Range: Self

Components: VS

Duration: Instantaneous

Eight multicolored rays of light flash from your hand. Each ray is a different color and has a different power and purpose. Each creature in a 60 foot cone must make a Dexterity saving throw. For each target, roll a d8 to determine which color ray affects it.

1. Red. The target takes 10d6 fire damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one.

2. Orange. The target takes 10d6 acid damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one.

3. Yellow. The target takes 10d6 lightning damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one.

4. Green. The target takes 10d6 poison damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one.

5. Blue. The target takes 10d6 cold damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one.

6. Indigo. On a failed save, the target is restrained. It must then make a Constitution saving throw at the end of each of its turns. If it successfully saves three times, the spell ends. If it fails its save three times, it permanently turns to stone and is subjected to the petrified condition. The successes and failures don't need to be consecutive; keep track of both until the target collects three of a kind.

7. Violet. On a failed save, the target is blinded. It must then make a Wisdom saving throw at the start of your next turn. A successful save ends the blindness. If it fails that save, the creature is transported to another plane of existence of the GM's choosing and is no longer blinded. (Typically, a creature that is on a plane that isn't its home plane is banished home, while other creatures are usually cast into the Astral or Ethereal planes.)

8. Special. The target is struck by two rays. Roll twice more, rerolling any 8.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Platypusbill View Post
    Q 12 What happens if an enemy is struck by two Prismatic Spray rays and you roll the same type for both?

Spoiler
    Show

7th-level Evocation (Sorcerer, Wizard)

Casting Time: 1 action

Range: Self

Components: VS

Duration: Instantaneous

Eight multicolored rays of light flash from your hand. Each ray is a different color and has a different power and purpose. Each creature in a 60 foot cone must make a Dexterity saving throw. For each target, roll a d8 to determine which color ray affects it.

1. Red. The target takes 10d6 fire damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one.

2. Orange. The target takes 10d6 acid damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one.

3. Yellow. The target takes 10d6 lightning damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one.

4. Green. The target takes 10d6 poison damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one.

5. Blue. The target takes 10d6 cold damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one.

6. Indigo. On a failed save, the target is restrained. It must then make a Constitution saving throw at the end of each of its turns. If it successfully saves three times, the spell ends. If it fails its save three times, it permanently turns to stone and is subjected to the petrified condition. The successes and failures don't need to be consecutive; keep track of both until the target collects three of a kind.

7. Violet. On a failed save, the target is blinded. It must then make a Wisdom saving throw at the start of your next turn. A successful save ends the blindness. If it fails that save, the creature is transported to another plane of existence of the GM's choosing and is no longer blinded. (Typically, a creature that is on a plane that isn't its home plane is banished home, while other creatures are usually cast into the Astral or Ethereal planes.)

8. Special. The target is struck by two rays. Roll twice more, rerolling any 8.
    A 12 For Red through Blue, they would just take 20d6 damage of the appropriate type, or half on a successful save. If both rays were Indigo or Violet, it would be the same as being struck by one Indigo or Violet ray, since there's no way for the restrained or blinded conditions to stack.

27. - Top - End - #27

GnomeWizardGuy

A 12 For Red through Blue, they would just take 20d6 damage of the appropriate type, or half on a successful save. If both rays were Indigo or Violet, it would be the same as being struck by one Indigo or Violet ray, since there's no way for the restrained or blinded conditions to stack.
    I think the OP is asking if they have to make the saving throws twice as fast as before or not, petrifying them faster for example, or sending them to the ethereral plane more quickly.

RAW, I dunno, but I think that's what they're asking.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eriol View Post
    I think the OP is asking if they have to make the saving throws twice as fast as before or not, petrifying them faster for example, or sending them to the ethereral plane more quickly.

RAW, I dunno, but I think that's what they're asking.
    A 12 (cont) Ok yeah reading over I think there could be an argument for it working something like this:

You get hit by two Violet rays from Prismatic Spray. You fail your dexterity saving throw, and are blinded. From the PHB section on conditions:
    If multiple effects impose the same condition on a creature, each instance of the condition has its own duration, but the condition’s effects don't get worse. A creature either has a condition or doesn’t.
    Each Violet ray inflicts Blinded, and each Blinded condition lasts until the saving throw end it or banishes you. At the start of the creature who cast Prismatic Spray's turn, you make two Wisdom saving throws, one for each ray. If you succeed of both, you are no longer blinded, if you fail on one and succeed the other the Blinded condition from one ray ends, the other ray causes you to be transported to another plane of existence and it's blinded condition ends. If you fail both you're transported to another plane of existence and are no longer blinded (technically you're transported to another plane twice, but that has effectively the same result. Maybe your DM could narrate you being on one plane for a split second before showing up at the other one).
    It would work in a similar way (if a bit more complicated) for Indigo; at the end of each of your turns make two saving throws, one for each ray, and keep track of successes/failures individually for each ray.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Orc in the Playground

Q 13 If you take 1 damage of a type that you have resistance to, do you actually take 0 damage? 1 / 2= 0.5, and page 7 of PHB "Whenever you divide a number in the game, round down if you end up with a fraction, even if the fraction is one-half or greater", so that 0.5 would round down to 0, or is there some other rule I'm missing that would make it stay 1 damage?

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Daemon

Q 13 If you take 1 damage of a type that you have resistance to, do you actually take 0 damage? 1 / 2= 0.5, and page 7 of PHB "Whenever you divide a number in the game, round down if you end up with a fraction, even if the fraction is one-half or greater", so that 0.5 would round down to 0, or is there some other rule I'm missing that would make it stay 1 damage?
    A 13 There is no minimum damage rule (other than the common sense "you can't do negative damage" one). If something has a minimum, it will say so. Thus, 1 damage with resistance is 0 damage taken.

Source: JC Tweet

Examples of minimums in the text:

* Number of spells prepared (cf cleric, druid, paladin, wizard)
    * Number of uses of bardic inspiration
    Dawn of Hope: a 5e setting. http://wiki.admiralbenbo.org
    Rogue Equivalent Damage calculator, now prettier and more configurable!
    5e Monster Data Sheet--vital statistics for all 693 MM, Volo's, and now MToF monsters: Updated!
    NIH system 5e fork, very much WIP. Base github repo.
    NIH System PDF Up to date main-branch build version.