New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 51 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Orc in the Playground

DrowGirl

Default Re: Simple RAW for 5e 4: Smackdown v. RAW

Q. 98 Can you be a Variant Human and still have a dragon mark of making?
    Last edited by Dualswinger; 2018-10-07 at 03:49 AM. Reason: Forgot to number question

2. - Top - End - #272
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Q 99 a) Is Wall of force movable? Could a strong enough creature push it around?

b) Can Wall of force trap a Gargantuan creature? As trap it in a sphere of Fall of force?

c) Is there any mechanical problem, when it comes to an idea of trapping a creature in a sphere of Wall of force and then just casting Fireballs within the sphere untill creature dies?

thanks
    Last edited by Pinjata; 2018-10-07 at 03:44 AM.

3. - Top - End - #273
    Banned

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Pinjata View Post
    Q 99 a) Is Wall of force movable? Could a strong enough creature push it around?

b) Can Wall of force trap a Gargantuan creature? As trap it in a sphere of Fall of force?

c) Is there any mechanical problem, when it comes to an idea of trapping a creature in a sphere of Wall of force and then just casting Fireballs within the sphere untill creature dies?

thanks
    a99
    A: absent of rules. Check with your DM. It is presumed not, usually due to lack of wording saying it is possible to do so or any DC's
    B: the space commanded by a gargantuan creature is 20ft x 20ft or larger, but Sphere of WoF can only do so up to 20ft. Ask your DM.
    C: depends on where you are casting from: opposite sides to the target creature has the fireball impacts on the side of the wall and blocks the explosion from travelling through. If you are inside the sphere, no mechanical issue apart from being trapped inside the same area.

4. - Top - End - #274
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Q100
    Damage for an unarmed strike is 1 plus ability modifiers. On a critical strike, do I get to double that 1?

5. - Top - End - #275
    Ettin in the Playground

A100 On a critical hit, you get to roll all of the damage dice twice. But an unarmed strike doesn't have any damage die. So no, it is still just 1 + Str mod.

6. - Top - End - #276
    Orc in the Playground

DrowGirl

Q 101.

If there’s a static magic effect such as wall of fire, that deals damage when a target enters the area, could a warlock use Repelling blast to force them to leave the area, then Grasp of Hadar to move them back in, triggering the damage?

Q 101a.

When a warlock makes multiple E blast attacks because they are level 5 or higher, can they move between attack rolls?
    Last edited by Dualswinger; 2018-10-10 at 04:38 AM.

7. - Top - End - #277
    Banned

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Dualswinger View Post
    Q 101.

If there’s a static magic effect such as wall of fire, that deals damage when a target enters the area, could a warlock use Repelling blast to force them to leave the area, then Grasp of Hadar to move them back in, triggering the damage?
    A102 Spell Specific. Ie Wall of Fire takes place on turn end within 10ft, or enters it the first time on a turn or ends its own turn there. In the instance a creature moves through the into the Wall of Fire, and ends its turn there, they take the damage twice. But Repelling Blast, Grasp of Hadar, Repelling Blast only takes effect the first time it enters the wall.

One side of the wall, selected by you when you cast this spell, deals 5d8 fire damage to each creature that ends its turn within 10 feet of that side or inside the wall. A creature takes the same damage when it enters the wall for the first time on a turn or ends its turn there. The other side of the wall deals no damage.

Q 101a.

When a warlock makes multiple E blast attacks because they are level 5 or higher, can they move between attack rolls?
    A
    No.
    Last edited by Kadesh; 2018-10-10 at 06:42 AM.

8. - Top - End - #278
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Pretty sure I know the answer but I want to confirm this.

Q103: The spell Invulnerability makes you immune to all damage, and requires concentration. Concentration checks only occur when you take damage. So if a spellcaster cast Invulnerability on himself, he is guaranteed to maintain concentration for the full duration, correct?
    Insert Clever Signature Here

9. - Top - End - #279
    Titan in the Playground

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by Oramac View Post
    Pretty sure I know the answer but I want to confirm this.

Q103: The spell Invulnerability makes you immune to all damage, and requires concentration. Concentration checks only occur when you take damage. So if a spellcaster cast Invulnerability on himself, he is guaranteed to maintain concentration for the full duration, correct?
    A103 Not necessarily, although you won't lose it to damage. You could lose concentration to any of the following:

a) a spell or effect that made you incapacitated without reducing your HP (because you can't maintain concentration that way).
    b) a spell or effect that drops your HP to 0 (Power Word Kill when you're under 100 HP).
    c) a strong weather effect that forces a concentration check
    d) a spell such as sleet storm that forces concentration checks without doing damage.
    e) etc.
    Dawn of Hope: a 5e setting. http://wiki.admiralbenbo.org
    Rogue Equivalent Damage calculator, now prettier and more configurable!
    5e Monster Data Sheet--vital statistics for all 693 MM, Volo's, and now MToF monsters: Updated!
    NIH system 5e fork, very much WIP. Base github repo.
    NIH System PDF Up to date main-branch build version.

10. - Top - End - #280
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixPhyre View Post
    A103 Not necessarily, although you won't lose it to damage. You could lose concentration to any of the following:

a) a spell or effect that made you incapacitated without reducing your HP (because you can't maintain concentration that way).
    b) a spell or effect that drops your HP to 0 (Power Word Kill when you're under 100 HP).
    c) a strong weather effect that forces a concentration check
    d) a spell such as sleet storm that forces concentration checks without doing damage.
    e) etc.
    Awesome. Thank you.

11. - Top - End - #281
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Ok, another one I literally just thought about.

Q104: Do Divine Smite and Eldritch Smite stack? Near as I can tell, they do, but I want to check. Eldritch Smite states you must expend a warlock spell slot, but the PHB Errata specifies than Divine Smite does NOT require use of a paladin spell slot. And I don't see any language in either of them that would lead me to believe they don't stack.

12. - Top - End - #282
    Banned

Planetar

Ok, another one I literally just thought about.

Q104: Do Divine Smite and Eldritch Smite stack? Near as I can tell, they do, but I want to check. Eldritch Smite states you must expend a warlock spell slot, but the PHB Errata specifies than Divine Smite does NOT require use of a paladin spell slot. And I don't see any language in either of them that would lead me to believe they don't stack.
    a104
    There is no stacking involved. You can Divine Smite and Eldritch Smite on the same attack.

13. - Top - End - #283
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kadesh View Post
    a104 You can Divine Smite and Eldritch Smite on the same attack.
    That's what I meant. So yes, if I have a 4th level warlock spell slot, I can spend it to Eldritch Smite for 5d8 Force damage AND 5d8 Radiant damage. This is great to know.

Thank you.

14. - Top - End - #284
    Troll in the Playground

That's what I meant. So yes, if I have a 4th level warlock spell slot, I can spend it to Eldritch Smite for 5d8 Force damage AND 5d8 Radiant damage.
    You can do both on the same hit by spending a separate spell slot for each one. The language of divine smite is that you expend the spell slot to do it. Expending a slot means that it's used up to grant a use of that ability so it's not there to be expended on the eldritch smite or vice-versa. The fact they're happening simultaneously doesn't change the fact that each requires its own expenditure of a spell slot.
    If you cast Dispel Magic on my Gust of Wind, does that mean you're disgusting?

In real estate, they say it's all about location, location, location. In D&D I say it's about action economy, action economy, action economy.

Crystal Mage -- a homebrewed arcane tradition

15. - Top - End - #285
    Banned

Planetar

That's what I meant. So yes, if I have a 4th level warlock spell slot, I can spend it to Eldritch Smite for 5d8 Force damage AND 5d8 Radiant damage. This is great to know.

Thank you.
    That is not what was stated. You can divine smite (expend a spell slot) and Eldritch Smite (Expend a Warlock Spell Slot) on the same attack. Expending a single spell slot does not give you the benefits of both smites and I have no idea where you interpret that out of the words of the rules without essentially wilfully misreading. Please take further discussion if you wish to debate this to another thread.

16. - Top - End - #286
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q105 when you cast touch spell through your familiar as a wizard can the familiar cast the spell on itself? E.g. can I make my familiar invisible from 50 feet?

17. - Top - End - #287
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Myth27 View Post
    Q105 when you cast touch spell through your familiar as a wizard can the familiar cast the spell on itself? E.g. can I make my familiar invisible from 50 feet?
    A105: So long as you are using a Spell with a Range: Touch, are within 100' of one another, and your Familiar still has a Reaction- it can target whomever is within reach. Including itself.
    Quote Originally Posted by kamap View Post
    Also don't try to bring logic into the argument it has left the building ages ago since magic made its appearance.

18. - Top - End - #288
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Q106 Great weapon fighting lets you re-roll 1s and 2s for damage. Does that include superiority damage dice?
    Last edited by Dmdork; 2018-10-13 at 07:20 PM.

19. - Top - End - #289
    Banned

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Dmdork View Post
    Q106 Great weapon fighting lets you re-roll 1s and 2s for damage. Does that include superiority damage dice?
    A106 No.
    http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/feat...ers-april-2016
    CLASS FEATURES
    If you use Great Weapon Fighting with a feature like Divine Smite or a spell like hex, do you get to reroll any 1 or 2 you roll for the extra damage?
    The Great Weapon Fighting feature—which is shared by fighters and paladins—is meant to benefit only the damage roll of the weapon used with the feature. For example, if you use a greatsword with the feature, you can reroll any 1 or 2 you roll on the weapon’s 2d6. If you’re a paladin and use Divine Smite with the greatsword, Great Weapon Fighting doesn’t let you reroll a 1 or 2 that you roll for the damage of Divine Smite.

The main purpose of this limitation is to prevent the tedium of excessive rerolls. Many of the limits in the game are aimed at inhibiting slowdowns. Having no limit would also leave the door open for Great Weapon Fighting to grant more of a damage boost than we intended, although the potential for that is minimal compared to the likelihood that numerous rerolls would bog the game down.

20. - Top - End - #290
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q107 - Warforged and Defense fighting style

Darkwood Core (unarmored)
    None
    11 + your Dexterity modifier (add proficiency bonus if proficient with light armor)

Composite Plating (armor)
    Medium armor proficiency
    13 + your Dexterity modifier (maximum of 2) + your proficiency bonus.

Heavy Plating (armor)
    Heavy armor proficiency
    16 + your proficiency bonus; disadvantage on Dexterity (Stealth) checks.
    Defense

While you are wearing armor, you gain a +1 bonus to AC.
    Does the warforged count as "wearing" armour for the defense fighting style.

And if so, does that apply to Darkwood core in all conditions? Or only if proficient with light armour?

21. - Top - End - #291
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Escribblings View Post
    Q107 - Warforged and Defense fighting style

Does the warforged count as "wearing" armour for the defense fighting style.

And if so, does that apply to Darkwood core in all conditions? Or only if proficient with light armour?
    A107 As far as I can tell, if you are in Composite Plating or Heavy Plating configuration, you count as wearing armor, thus the (armor) in the table, in Darkwood Core configuration you don't count as wearing armor, thus (unarmored).

22. - Top - End - #292
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by leogobsin View Post
    A107 As far as I can tell, if you are in Composite Plating or Heavy Plating configuration, you count as wearing armor, thus the (armor) in the table, in Darkwood Core configuration you don't count as wearing armor, thus (unarmored).
    Kind of what I thought...

Although the proficiency with light armour bit is still bugging me...

23. - Top - End - #293
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Q108 if you crit, do you double your superiority dice also?

24. - Top - End - #294
    Titan in the Playground

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by Dmdork View Post
    Q108 if you crit, do you double your superiority dice also?
    A108 Yes. Just like smites, sneak attack or any other dice-based modifier that does not require a separate roll (such as a saving throw).

So:

* Superiority dice when used to add to damage
    * Sneak attack
    * Attack spells (including weapon attack cantrips)
    * Smites (both divine and improved)
    * Bonus dice such as flametongue's 2d6 fire

You do not double the following:
    * static numbers (such as rage damage or the stat modifier)
    * anything that requires a separate roll, including a save. This is most common for monster abilities--if it reads "deals 2d8 piercing; targets must make a CON save or take XdY poison", only the 2d8 is doubled on a crit.
    Dawn of Hope: a 5e setting. http://wiki.admiralbenbo.org
    Rogue Equivalent Damage calculator, now prettier and more configurable!
    5e Monster Data Sheet--vital statistics for all 693 MM, Volo's, and now MToF monsters: Updated!
    NIH system 5e fork, very much WIP. Base github repo.
    NIH System PDF Up to date main-branch build version.

25. - Top - End - #295
    Dwarf in the Playground

q109

Looking at the tool descriptions provided in XGtE

Apart from the DC is there any practical difference between

Alchemist's tools "Identify a poison"

and

Herbalism kit "Identify poison"

26. - Top - End - #296
    Banned

Planetar

q109

Looking at the tool descriptions provided in XGtE

Apart from the DC is there any practical difference between

Alchemist's tools "Identify a poison"

and

Herbalism kit "Identify poison"
    a109
    No.

Letters.

27. - Top - End - #297
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixPhyre View Post
    A108 Yes. Just like smites, sneak attack or any other dice-based modifier that does not require a separate roll (such as a saving throw).

So:

* Superiority dice when used to add to damage
    * Sneak attack
    * Attack spells (including weapon attack cantrips)
    * Smites (both divine and improved)
    * Bonus dice such as flametongue's 2d6 fire

You do not double the following:
    * static numbers (such as rage damage or the stat modifier)
    * anything that requires a separate roll, including a save. This is most common for monster abilities--if it reads "deals 2d8 piercing; targets must make a CON save or take XdY poison", only the 2d8 is doubled on a crit.
    Just as an addendum for that last part since sometimes people get confused with poisons what is posted is correct but for instance Drow and basilisks (among others) have attacks that read out similar to this 1d8+5 piercing and 2d8 poison damage. Notice that unlike in the previous example the poison damage does not involve a save for the damage and thus is a direct part of the attack's damage. IN this case hyou would double teh poison damage.

The last version is when an attack has added poison damage and there is a save but it is not for the damage such as I think the carrion crawler. In its case it is like 1d8 piercing +1d4 poison and you make a save or be paralyzed. THe save has nothing to do with the damage so I would rule that it would be doubled on a crit (the save is only for paralysis not for 1/2 damage or anything like that).
    A vestige for me "Pyro火gnus Friend of Meepo" by Zaydos.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/shows...5&postcount=26

28. - Top - End - #298
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q110

I'm guessing no, but...

Does the Warforged Envoy's integrated tool stack with the rogue's expertise with thieves' tools?

If yes, is it triple prof or double double?

29. - Top - End - #299
    Orc in the Playground

Q110

I'm guessing no, but...

Does the Warforged Envoy's integrated tool stack with the rogue's expertise with thieves' tools?

If yes, is it triple prof or double double?
    A110 It would not stack. PHB, page 171-172:

Occasionally, your proficiency bonus might be multiplied or divided (doubled or halved, for example) before you apply it. For example, the rogue’s Expertise feature doubles the proficiency bonus for certain ability checks. If a circumstance suggests that your proficiency bonus applies more than once to the same roll, you still add it only once and multiply or divide it only once.

30. - Top - End - #300
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q111

Two weapon fighting with one weapon?

Is it permissible to take the attack action (for however many attacks) and then pass the weapon to the off hand for the bonus TWF attack?