New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 51 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192021222338 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Default Re: Simple RAW for 5e 4: Smackdown v. RAW

Quote Originally Posted by Myth27 View Post
    Q136 can the guardian of faith provide cover or concealment ?
    Up to your DM how they rule spectral to behave. No RAW answer for this.
    Please be mindful of what you say in public; sadly not all can handle sarcasm or The Internet Credibility.
    My Homebrew:
    Base Class: Warlord | Roguish Archetype: Inquisitor | Roguish Archetype: Thug | Primal Path: Rage Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Anon von Zilch View Post
    Words actually mean things, people!

Ongoing game & character:
    Sajan Uttam, human Monk 6/Fist of Irori 3 (Legacy of Fire)

D&D/Pathfinder CV of sorts
    3.0 since 2002
    3.5 since 2003
    4e since 2008
    Pathfinder 1e since 2008
    5e since 2014

2. - Top - End - #362
    Banned

HalflingRangerGuy

Q137
    Can you true polymorph yourself as a different race but keep class levels, or a younger/stronger/smarter/better looking/different sex/healthier version of yourself.

3. - Top - End - #363
    Ogre in the Playground

Q138

Can you Crit with Elderic Blast?

I will also like to know the book and page with this information as I was unable to find it.

Thank you in advance :)

4. - Top - End - #364
    Ettin in the Playground

A138 Yes, you can crit with eldritch blast.

The rules for critical hits are in the PHB, pages 194 (Attack Rolls, Rolling 1 or 20) and 196 (Damage Rolls, Critical Hits).

Spell attacks are never excluded, so it works the same for them as for any other attack.

5. - Top - End - #365
    Troll in the Playground

A 137 Your entire stat block gets replaced by the creature's except for what it says--something like memories alignment and personality.

I didn't read the spell before responding. Memories aren't mentioned. Only alignment and personality are retained. All stats including mental stats of the new creature are replaced completely.
    Last edited by Dalebert; 2018-11-10 at 02:34 PM.
    If you cast Dispel Magic on my Gust of Wind, does that mean you're disgusting?

In real estate, they say it's all about location, location, location. In D&D I say it's about action economy, action economy, action economy.

Crystal Mage -- a homebrewed arcane tradition

6. - Top - End - #366
    Banned

HalflingRangerGuy

...but many class things are memories/personality. A wizard memorizes spells, a fighter learns to use his sword...

7. - Top - End - #367
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Corinath View Post
    Q135

Mace of Terror and the Conquest Paladin oath of unique modifiers of a creature being frightened.

If a level 7+ oath of conquest paladin uses the mace of terror for it's fear effect, does a frightened creature within the conquest paladin's aura dash to run away, or, instead, stand still as they lose all movement speed? If they stand still, do they then never attack because they can only dash and their movement speed is zero?

Basically just... how would these two interract?
    A 135 The creature wouldn't run away because Aura of Conquest sets its speed to zero; it physically cannot run away. They would be unable to attack, since the only action it can use is Dash, but would be able to Dodge since there is nowhere it can move.
    Last edited by leogobsin; 2018-11-09 at 05:12 PM.

8. - Top - End - #368
    Banned

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Corinath View Post
    Q135

Mace of Terror and the Conquest Paladin oath of unique modifiers of a creature being frightened.

If a level 7+ oath of conquest paladin uses the mace of terror for it's fear effect, does a frightened creature within the conquest paladin's aura dash to run away, or, instead, stand still as they lose all movement speed? If they stand still, do they then never attack because they can only dash and their movement speed is zero?

Basically just... how would these two interract?
    A135 'If a creature is frightened of you, its speed is reduced to 0 while in the aura, and that creature takes psychic damage equal to half your paladin level if it starts its turn there.'

'While it is Frightened in this way, a creature must spend its turns trying to move as far away from you as it can, and it can't willingly move to a space within 30 feet of you. It also can't take reactions. For its action it can use only the Dash action or try to escape from an effect that prevents it from moving'
    The rules are rather obvious. Your movement is reduced to zero, so you must your action to otherwise try and escape. Dashing with Movement 0 doubles your move speed, but 0*2 is 0

9. - Top - End - #369
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Misterwhisper View Post
    Q134

Are there rules somewhere about how far a character can throw something?

Not as an improvised weapon like throwing a bottle at someone to attack them, just simply throwing for distance like hurling a rock into a lake as far as you can.
    Not to be a drag, but I think my question got lost in the page change.

10. - Top - End - #370
    Barbarian in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Q134

Are there rules somewhere about how far a character can throw something?

Not as an improvised weapon like throwing a bottle at someone to attack them, just simply throwing for distance like hurling a rock into a lake as far as you can.
    A134 - Unfortunately there is no RAW I know of on this. The rules in PHB 175-177 (Using each ability for STR and DEX) do not mention throwing. The only mention I can find of throwing is related to attacks with thrown weapons on PHB 147, but you specifically said this is about throwing for distance, not attacking, so per RAW this does not apply IMO.

Outside of RAW, I would say it's strength for distance, dexterity (possibly slight-of-hand) for if you're trying to skip a rock on the water. But very much ask your DM, or make your own rules if you ARE the DM.

11. - Top - End - #371
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Eriol View Post
    A134 - Unfortunately there is no RAW I know of on this. The rules in PHB 175-177 (Using each ability for STR and DEX) do not mention throwing. The only mention I can find of throwing is related to attacks with thrown weapons on PHB 147, but you specifically said this is about throwing for distance, not attacking, so per RAW this does not apply IMO.

Outside of RAW, I would say it's strength for distance, dexterity (possibly slight-of-hand) for if you're trying to skip a rock on the water. But very much ask your DM, or make your own rules if you ARE the DM.
    Yeah, it came up in a game last session, I was trying to keep a McMuffin away from the villain and it was just a gemstone about the size of a baseball. So I said, umm I throw it.

I have 20 str and a great athletics check so it seems very odd to just throw it the distance of an improvised weapon.

Improvised weapons distance wise are only listed for melee weapons with the throw property nothing about an improvised range weapon.

12. - Top - End - #372
    Ogre in the Playground

I have 20 str and a great athletics check so it seems very odd to just throw it the distance of an improvised weapon.
    A134 Agreed, but as far as RAW goes I think all we can say definitively is that throwing an object for distance (rather than accuracy) is not an attack but an ability check of some sort. The details would be determined by the DM.

Powers &8^]

13. - Top - End - #373
    Halfling in the Playground

Q139a
    Can a Holy Symbol be a functional weapon (not just a depiction)? I don't think the possibility is outright excluded, relevant rules:

Holy Symbol: A holy Symbol is a representation of a god or pantheon. It might be an Amulet depicting a Symbol representing a deity, the same Symbol carefully engraved or inlaid as an emblem on a Shield, or a tiny box holding a fragment of a sacred relic. Pantheons lists the symbols commonly associated with many gods in the multiverse. A Cleric or Paladin can use a holy Symbol as a Spellcasting focus. To use the Symbol in this way, the caster must hold it in hand, wear it visibly, or bear it on a Shield.

For instance, the PHB section on Pantheons mentions Uller, Norse god of hunting and winter with Longbow as associated Symbol.

Q139b
    If I use a finesse or ranged weapon as Spellcasting Focus (Holy Symbol, Improved Pact Weapon, College of Swords, etc.) for the material component of a spell attack (e.g., Thorn Whip), does Sneak Attack apply?

Note that Sneak Attack does not require a weapon attack, but "The attack must use a finesse or a ranged weapon."

14. - Top - End - #374
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Windwaert View Post
    Q139a
    Can a Holy Symbol be a functional weapon (not just a depiction)? I don't think the possibility is outright excluded, relevant rules:

For instance, the PHB section on Pantheons mentions Uller, Norse god of hunting and winter with Longbow as associated Symbol.

Q139b
    If I use a finesse or ranged weapon as Spellcasting Focus (Holy Symbol, Improved Pact Weapon, College of Swords, etc.) for the material component of a spell attack (e.g., Thorn Whip), does Sneak Attack apply?

Note that Sneak Attack does not require a weapon attack, but "The attack must use a finesse or a ranged weapon."

A139bNo, because you made a spell attack not a weapon attack.
    Last edited by Misterwhisper; 2018-11-13 at 01:15 PM.

15. - Top - End - #375
    Troll in the Playground

A 139 I've wondered about a myself and there seems to be a little room for interpretation, but even if your DM allows you to use a weapon as a holy symbol, for question b you're not using the holy symbol for the attack. You're using it as a material component of the spell and then you're using the conjured thorn whip to attack, and a thorn whip is not a ranged or finesse weapon.

Note there are cases where a spell conjures a finesse weapon and you attack with it. Look into Shadow Blade which you absolutely can sneak attack with, and do lots of extra psychic dmg.
    If you cast Dispel Magic on my Gust of Wind, does that mean you're disgusting?

In real estate, they say it's all about location, location, location. In D&D I say it's about action economy, action economy, action economy.

Crystal Mage -- a homebrewed arcane tradition

16. - Top - End - #376

Quote Originally Posted by Dalebert View Post
    A139b
    You're using it as a material component of the spell and then you're using the conjured thorn whip to attack, and a thorn whip is not a ranged or finesse weapon.
    Interesting, I did not considered casting of the spell and the spell attack itself as separate. But you are right. The Holy Symbol is not even used indirectly for the spell attack: the casting is done before the spell attack is made. I somehow missed that. Thanks for clarifying!

17. - Top - End - #377
    Barbarian in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Q139a

A139a No. A holy symbol is an Amulet, Emblem or Reliquary. None of those are weapons, functional or otherwise.

18. - Top - End - #378

Quote Originally Posted by E’Tallitnics View Post
    A139a No. A holy symbol is an Amulet, Emblem or Reliquary. None of those are weapons, functional or otherwise.
    English is not my first language, but the relevant section states: "It might be A,B, or C...". These are suggestions and not collectively exhaustive, right? Otherwise it really should've stated "It is A,B, or C..."

19. - Top - End - #379
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

English is not my first language, but the relevant section states: "It might be A,B, or C...". These are suggestions and not collectively exhaustive, right? Otherwise it really should've stated "It is A,B, or C..."
    A holy symbol could be a weapon, like some more warlike gods have a weapon they consider a holy symbol, but you are still not making an attack with it, you are attacking with the spell, the symbol is just a component.

20. - Top - End - #380
    Firbolg in the Playground

A139bNo, because you made a spell attack not a weapon attack.
    Sorry, correction on A139b. Jeremy Crawford, Lead Designer, has explained on Sage Advice that Sneak Attack does NOT require a Weapon Attack, but just an Attack utilizing a Weapon.

Here's the relevant piece of information from the Rogue's Sneak Attack feature:

Beginning at 1st level, you know how to strike subtly and exploit a foe’s distraction. Once per turn, you can deal an extra 1d6 damage to one creature you hit with an attack if you have advantage on the attack roll. The attack must use a finesse or a ranged weapon. You don’t need advantage on the attack roll if another enemy of the target is within 5 feet of it, that enemy isn’t incapacitated, and you don’t have disadvantage on the attack roll. The amount of the extra damage increases as you gain levels in this class, as shown in the Sneak Attack column of the Rogue table.
    Magic Stone states it can be used from a Sling or Thrown. Crawford states that throwing the Magic Stone doesn't count (doesn't use a weapon), but shooting it from a Sling does (since it uses a weapon). Neither instance actually improves the base attack (in fact, using a sling reduces its effective range by 50%), and both ways of using the Magic Stone count as being a Ranged Spell Attack.

So whether or not it's a spell attack or a weapon attack isn't relevant. What's relevant is whether or not you're considered to be "using" the ranged or finesse weapon required.

Which is mostly up to the DM.

If a Sling can legitimately reduce the range of a Magic Stone to half and allow it to sneak attack without changing anything else about the spell, I don't see why not.
    Last edited by Man_Over_Game; 2018-11-15 at 06:36 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by KOLE View Post
    MOG, design a darn RPG system. Seriously, the amount of ideas I’ve gleaned from your posts has been valuable. You’re a gem of the community here.

5th Edition Homebrewery
    Prestige Options, changing primary attributes to open a world of new multiclassing.
    Adrenaline Surge, fitting Short Rests into combat to fix bosses/Short Rest Classes.
    Pain, using Exhaustion to make tactical martial combatants.
    Fate Sorcery, lucky winner of the 5e D&D Subclass Contest VII!

21. - Top - End - #381
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Man_Over_Game View Post
    Sorry, correction on A139b. Jeremy Crawford, Lead Designer, has explained on Sage Advice that Sneak Attack does NOT require a Weapon Attack, but just an Attack with a Weapon.

Here's the relevant piece of information from the Rogue's Sneak Attack feature:

Magic Stone states it can be used from a Sling or Thrown. Crawford states that throwing the Magic Stone doesn't count (doesn't use a weapon), but shooting it from a Sling does (since it uses a weapon). Neither instance actually improves the base attack (in fact, using a sling reduces its effective range by 50%), and both ways of using the Magic Stone count as being a Ranged Spell Attack.

So whether or not it's a spell or a weapon attack isn't relevant. What's relevant is whether or not you're considered to be "using" the ranged or finesse weapon required.

Which is mostly up to the DM.

If a Sling can legitimately reduce the range of a Magic Stone to half and allow it to sneak attack without changing anything else about the spell, I don't see why not.
    Magic stone is just creating magical ammo that is then thrown or fired from a sling.

The fact it uses a spell attack is a specific exception to the general rule.

An attack spell like all the others is making a spell attack.

22. - Top - End - #382
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Q140: I'm sure that this has been asked before, but came across a weird rule interaction while thinking a character through last night, and wanted some clarification.

So I know that "Specific beats General", but in this case, I'm not sure which is the General Rule, and which is the Specific. The instance in question: a Hunter Ranger takes the Horde Breaker feature at level 3, which states that: "Once on each of your turns when you make a weapon attack, you can make another attack with the same weapon against a different creature that is within 5 feet of the original target and within range of your weapon."

You attack with a Crossbow (and don't have the Crossbow Expert Feat). As such, the Loading trait would normally apply. (Loading. Because of the time required to load this weapon, you can fire only one piece of ammunition from it when you use an action, bonus action, or reaction to fire it, regardless of the number of attacks you can normally make.)

Is the crossbow loading trait the General rule, or the Specific? Meaning could a Hunter Ranger make two attacks with the crossbow in this instance? Or, is the Hunter Ranger the General Rule, and the loading trait is the specific, meaning that the Hunter Ranger is still limited to one attack?

23. - Top - End - #383
    Dwarf in the Playground

DrowGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Aett_Thorn View Post
    Q140:Is the crossbow loading trait the General rule, or the Specific? Meaning could a Hunter Ranger make two attacks with the crossbow in this instance? Or, is the Hunter Ranger the General Rule, and the loading trait is the specific, meaning that the Hunter Ranger is still limited to one attack?
    A140. Circumstances that allow you to use a weapon to attack multiple times represent the general rule. The crossbow limitation is the specific rule.

I.e. the ranger with the horde breaker feature could execute an additional attack with a bow or a melee weapon, but the loading property specifically denies this for crossbows.
    Last edited by terodil; 2018-11-15 at 09:09 AM.

24. - Top - End - #384
    Titan in the Playground

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by terodil View Post
    A140. Circumstances that allow you to use a weapon to attack multiple times represent the general rule. The crossbow limitation is the specific rule.

I.e. the ranger with the horde breaker feature could execute an additional attack with a bow or a melee weapon, but the loading property specifically denies this for crossbows.
    Supplement to A140

To be "more specific", the overriding rule must include language that specifically overrides the general case. Rules don't interact unless one of the rules says it does--rules are included only by specific import, not just merely using the same words. Using Horde Breaker is an action, and Loading restricts firing using an action to a single attack. Now if Horde Breaker had included a line like "no matter the normal restrictions on the weapon" or "if the weapon has the Loading property, you can ignore it for this action", it would override the Loading property.
    Dawn of Hope: a 5e setting. http://wiki.admiralbenbo.org
    Rogue Equivalent Damage calculator, now prettier and more configurable!
    5e Monster Data Sheet--vital statistics for all 693 MM, Volo's, and now MToF monsters: Updated!
    NIH system 5e fork, very much WIP. Base github repo.
    NIH System PDF Up to date main-branch build version.

25. - Top - End - #385
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Q141

What happens to a vampire is in an alternate form via his Shapechanger trait and is exposed to sunlight? Do they instantly revert to their true form, or are they trapped in their current form until they get out of the light or die?

Q142

Does dim artificial sunlight (such as the outermost light shone by a Sunbeam spell or a Sun Blade) or lightly obscured sunlight trigger a vampire's sunlight hypersensitivity?

26. - Top - End - #386

A141
    Yes, the latter appears to be the case. While Polymorphed with Shapechanger, its Statistics are unchanged, so it cannot Shapechange back while in sun light or running water.

A142
    I think the strictest interpretation would require the spells to outright call the produced light "sun light", and neither spell does.

CORRECTION: see my post below
    Last edited by Windwaert; 2018-11-15 at 08:04 PM.

27. - Top - End - #387
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

A142
    I think the strictest interpretation would require the spells to outright call the produced light "sun light", and neither spell does.
    I chose those two because they specifically use the phrase "This/The light is sunlight."

28. - Top - End - #388
    Titan in the Playground

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Watcher View Post
    I chose those two because they specifically use the phrase "This/The light is sunlight."
    A142 If they specifically call it out as sunlight, then it triggers the Sunlight Sensitivity. Does not have to be bright unless the Sunlight Sensitivity specifically mentions "bright sunlight" or comparable wording.
    Dawn of Hope: a 5e setting. http://wiki.admiralbenbo.org
    Rogue Equivalent Damage calculator, now prettier and more configurable!
    5e Monster Data Sheet--vital statistics for all 693 MM, Volo's, and now MToF monsters: Updated!
    NIH system 5e fork, very much WIP. Base github repo.
    NIH System PDF Up to date main-branch build version.

29. - Top - End - #389

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Watcher View Post
    I am so sorry, I searched for "sun light" and couldn't find it ("sunlight"). In that case, yes, it would apply. Different spelling, same thing.

30. - Top - End - #390
    Banned

HalflingRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by E’Tallitnics View Post
    Both amulet and reliquary could be improvised weapons, and you could put an emblem on a weapon, if not make the weapon an emblem.

I'm not saying the weapon should get crits though.