New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 51 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Simple RAW for 5e 4: Smackdown v. RAW

Q14
    I have a sword and a shield in my hands and a javelin on my hip. I want to make a ranged attack. Can I drop my sword, draw my javelin, and throw it all this round?
    Physics in D&D is only superficially similar to real world physics.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HisHighestMinio View Post
    Q14
    I have a sword and a shield in my hands and a javelin on my hip. I want to make a ranged attack. Can I drop my sword, draw my javelin, and throw it all this round?
    A14: Yes.

Dropping is free and does not count as an object interaction, allowing you to draw the javelin as part of your Move or Action.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Orc in the Playground

Imp

Q015
    Can a player two-weapon-fight and throw one of the weapons per round, indefinitely, as follows:
    Start with shortsword and handaxe in separate hands.
    Round 1
    Action: Melee attack with shortsword, Bonus Action: throw handaxe#1, Free Object Interaction: Draw handaxe#2.
    Round 2
    Action: Melee attack with shortsword, Bonus Action: throw handaxe#2, Free Object Interaction: Draw handaxe#3.
    and so on
    ?
    "Indefinitely" really means "until running out of handaxes."

4. - Top - End - #34
    Halfling in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

A015 Yes. Keep in mind that without feats or status conditions, if you are within 5' of an enemy (to attack with the short sword), throwing the hand-axe will likely be at disadvantage.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

Q16 Booming Blade and OA, not the usual question.

I have Warcaster and BB. In my turn, I hit Foe with BB #1. In her turn, she decides to move, accepting damage from BB1 and provoking an OA--which would be BB#2. Assuming she continues to move, is the order of events that BB1 goes off, then I make my Warcaster attack, then BB#2 goes off?

Or does the Warcaster attack happen before BB1 triggers, which I presume means BB#1 gets overwritten by BB#2 so Foe only takes the "if you move" damage once?

Can she accept the damage from BB#1 but cancel movement after I hit her with my Warcaster attack, thereby avoiding the move trigger for BB#2? (I don't see how that would work, logically, but the whole "BB and Sentinel are triggered by movement but can cancel that movement" is a bit shaky to me)
    Junior, half orc paladin of the Order of St Dale the Intimidator: "Ah cain't abide no murderin' scoundrel."

Tactical Precepts: 1) Cause chaos, then exploit it; 2) No plan survives contact with...(sigh)...my subordinates.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Orc in the Playground

Q17a Does Misty step allow you to go through walls?
    Q17b Can you cast misty step to go through a solid glass surface
    Q17c Can you see through your familiar eyes and use misty step to pass through a wall?
    Q17d Is line of effect a thing in 5e?

7. - Top - End - #37
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Laserlight View Post
    Q16 Booming Blade and OA, not the usual question.

I have Warcaster and BB. In my turn, I hit Foe with BB #1. In her turn, she decides to move, accepting damage from BB1 and provoking an OA--which would be BB#2. Assuming she continues to move, is the order of events that BB1 goes off, then I make my Warcaster attack, then BB#2 goes off?

Or does the Warcaster attack happen before BB1 triggers, which I presume means BB#1 gets overwritten by BB#2 so Foe only takes the "if you move" damage once?

Can she accept the damage from BB#1 but cancel movement after I hit her with my Warcaster attack, thereby avoiding the move trigger for BB#2? (I don't see how that would work, logically, but the whole "BB and Sentinel are triggered by movement but can cancel that movement" is a bit shaky to me)
    A16 This probably depends on whether you're playing on a grid on or not. If you are, then movement happens a square at a time. BB #2 hits before she's moved into the new square, overriding BB #1 before it has a chance to deal damage. If you're playing without a grid, movement happens a foot at a time, so Foe could move away from you a measurable distance before leaving your reach, triggering BB #1, and then you hit with BB #2 just before she leaves your reach, at which point she could choose to stop moving, having triggered BB #1 but not #2.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by leogobsin View Post
    A16 This probably depends on whether you're playing on a grid on or not. If you are, then movement happens a square at a time. BB #2 hits before she's moved into the new square, overriding BB #1 before it has a chance to deal damage. If you're playing without a grid, movement happens a foot at a time, so Foe could move away from you a measurable distance before leaving your reach, triggering BB #1, and then you hit with BB #2 just before she leaves your reach, at which point she could choose to stop moving, having triggered BB #1 but not #2.
    I'm not thrilled with interpretation which varies with whether you're on a grid or not, but I see that BB says "If the target willingly moves...it immediately takes 1d8 thunder damage" whereas OA triggers "when a hostile creature that you can see moves out of your reach". So I think your "without a grid" answer applies to "with a grid" too.
    Junior, half orc paladin of the Order of St Dale the Intimidator: "Ah cain't abide no murderin' scoundrel."

Tactical Precepts: 1) Cause chaos, then exploit it; 2) No plan survives contact with...(sigh)...my subordinates.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Troll in the Playground

Q18

What, if anything, is the range limit on a wizard seeing through its familiars eyes? I see the 100 ft limit on telepathic communication, but not one for the scouting.
    I will NOT succumb to evil!
    ...Unless she's cute.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Koury View Post
    Q18

What, if anything, is the range limit on a wizard seeing through its familiars eyes? I see the 100 ft limit on telepathic communication, but not one for the scouting.
    A 17 I believe that since it's part of the same paragraph, using your familiar's senses has the same 100 foot limit as telepathic communication.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Orc in the Playground

A 17 So answering the first couple requires answering
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Bear View Post
    17d Is line of effect a thing in 5e?
    To which the answer is: not under that name, but yes (kind of). The PHB chapter about spellcasting has the following section:
    Quote Originally Posted by A Clear Path to the Target, PHB pg 291
    To target something, you must have a clear path to it, so it can’t be behind total cover.
    If you place an area of effect at a point that you can’t see and an obstruction, such as a wall, is between you and that point, the point of origin com es into being on the near side of that obstruction.
    However...
    17a Does Misty Step allow you to go through walls?
    Probably yes, since the space you teleport to isn't really a 'target' of the spell (the PHB says spell will tell you if they target "creatures, objects, or
    a point of origin for an area of effect", and the space is none of those); if there were a hole in the wall or something else that would let you see a space on the other side of the wall, you could Misty Step to that space.
    Q17b Can you cast misty step to go through a solid glass surface?
    Also probably yes by the same reasoning.
    Q17c Can you see through your familiar eyes and use misty step to pass through a wall?
    Should work, yep.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Orc in the Playground

Q19 does a fireball affect targets behind 3/4 cover? Does spread around corner mean that it ignores everything except total cover?

13. - Top - End - #43
    Titan in the Playground

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by Red Bear View Post
    Q19 does a fireball affect targets behind 3/4 cover? Does spread around corner mean that it ignores everything except total cover?
    A 19 even total cover is ignored, unless the target is completely enclosed in total cover. If you're in the blast zone and are not completely enclosed (that is, if there is any open path from you to the center of the effect), you must make the save.
    Dawn of Hope: a 5e setting. http://wiki.admiralbenbo.org
    Rogue Equivalent Damage calculator, now prettier and more configurable!
    5e Monster Data Sheet--vital statistics for all 693 MM, Volo's, and now MToF monsters: Updated!
    NIH system 5e fork, very much WIP. Base github repo.
    NIH System PDF Up to date main-branch build version.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Troll in the Playground

Q20 A Level 2 Druid can wild shape into any beast CR 1/4 or less. Under limitations it says no flying or swimming speed. Can the druid assume those forms but not use the relevant movement? Giant poisonous snake has both land and swim, for example.
    ...Unless she's cute.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Orc in the Playground

Q20 A Level 2 Druid can wild shape into any beast CR 1/4 or less. Under limitations it says no flying or swimming speed. Can the druid assume those forms but not use the relevant movement? Giant poisonous snake has both land and swim, for example.
    A 20 No, if a form has a speed that is restricted at your current level, you can't turn into that form at all.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by leogobsin View Post
    A 20 No, if a form has a speed that is restricted at your current level, you can't turn into that form at all.
    I'm assuming it says this somewhere?

The reason I ask is they could make a table about, say, a Dragon Shape ability that says the exact same things:

Level Age Color Limitations
    4 Wyrmling White No Casting, Flight or Breath Weapon
    8 Young Green No Casting or Breath Weapon
    12 Adult Blue No Casting
    16 Ancient Red

And it would seem clear to me that a level 8 character could turn into a Young White Dragon even though it has a breath weapon normally.
    Last edited by Koury; 2018-07-16 at 07:15 AM.
    ...Unless she's cute.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Orc in the Playground

I'm assuming it says this somewhere?

The reason I ask is they could make a table about, say, a Dragon Shape ability that says the exact same things:

Level Age Color Limitations
    4 Wyrmling White No Casting, Flight or Breath Weapon
    8 Young Green No Casting or Breath Weapon
    12 Adult Blue No Casting
    16 Ancient Red

And it would seem clear to me that a level 8 character could turn into a Young White Dragon even though it has a breath weapon normally.
    It's made clear by the wording of Wildshape. Namely: "Your druid level determines the beasts you can transform into, as shown in the Beast Shapes table. At 2nd level, for example, you can transform into any beast that has a challenge rating of 1/4 or lower that doesn't have a flying or swimming speed." If a beast has a speed not allowed by the table, you can't transform into that beast.

That theoretical dragonshape table could work but it would need different wording, something like "you can transform into a dragon that has a feature banned by the limitations column, but you cannot make use of that feature."
    Last edited by leogobsin; 2018-07-16 at 12:32 PM.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Troll in the Playground

Q21

Can a Monk use Martial Arts to attack twice when his readied action to attack is triggered? Sorry if I worded that oddly. Basically, do Bonus Action riders still trigger on ready action attacks.
    Last edited by Koury; 2018-07-17 at 07:38 AM.
    ...Unless she's cute.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Barbarian in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Q21

Can a Monk use Martial Arts to attack twice when his readied action to attack is triggered? Sorry if I worded that oddly. Basically, do Bonus Action riders still trigger on ready action attacks.
    A21 Bonus Actions can only be used on your turn. So if the trigger for your readied action interrupts someone else’s turn you cannot use any bonus actions.

20. - Top - End - #50

Q 22

Can Precision Attack be applied after a miss? It can be applied if a hit is turned into a miss, such as with the Shield spell per JC here.
    Last edited by Mikal; 2018-07-17 at 10:17 AM.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Titan in the Playground

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by Mikal View Post
    Q 22

Can Precision Attack be applied after a miss? It can be applied if a hit is turned into a miss, such as with the Shield spell per JC here.
    A 22

Precise wording:

You can use this maneuver before or after making the attack roll, but before any effects of the attack are applied.
    Yes, you can turn a miss into a hit with precision attack. Making the attack roll involves knowing whether it was a success or failure. That's part of why it's so powerful.
    Dawn of Hope: a 5e setting. http://wiki.admiralbenbo.org
    Rogue Equivalent Damage calculator, now prettier and more configurable!
    5e Monster Data Sheet--vital statistics for all 693 MM, Volo's, and now MToF monsters: Updated!
    NIH system 5e fork, very much WIP. Base github repo.
    NIH System PDF Up to date main-branch build version.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Pixie in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Q 23

When the spell wish is used to replicate a spell that requires a saving throw (for example, Disintegrate) does the spell automatically hit, or does the target of the wish>disintegrate still get the opportunity to make the saving throw and prevent the spell from affecting the target, bearing in mind following:
    "The basic use of this spell is to duplicate any other spell of 8th level or lower. You don’t need to meet any requirements in that spell, including costly components. The spell simply takes effect."
    Last edited by Z3REF; 2018-07-17 at 11:28 PM.

23. - Top - End - #53

Q 24

If you bury an Item under after this you place a pit using a robe of useful items onto said area does this get rid of the buried item? If nay; where is it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Flappeercraft
    NAAARUUUUTOOOOOOOO

24. - Top - End - #54
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Z3REF View Post
    Q 23

When the spell wish is used to replicate a spell that requires a saving throw (for example, Disintegrate) does the spell automatically hit, or does the target of the wish>disintegrate still get the opportunity to make the saving throw and prevent the spell from affecting the target, bearing in mind following:
    "The basic use of this spell is to duplicate any other spell of 8th level or lower. You don’t need to meet any requirements in that spell, including costly components. The spell simply takes effect."
    A 23
    No, "requirements" refers to components and casting time. Think about it this way: the "effect" of Disintegrate isn't that it deals damage to another creature, it's that "A thin green ray springs from your pointing finger to a target that you can see within range.", and then a targeted creature must make a dexterity saving throw.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Q25
    When wielding two light weapons, you are allowed to use your bonus action to attack with the off-hand weapon. You are also able to replace an attack with a weapon for one which would be unarmed according to the rules for making unarmed strikes.

Could you then replace the bonus off-hand attack with a unarmed attack as long as you are holding 2 light weapons? Would this work with polearm mastery bonus attack as well?

26. - Top - End - #56

DruidGuy

Q26

My table is arguing over the Gambling rules in Xanathar's Guide.

0 successes Lose all the money you bet, and accrue a debt equal to that amount.
    1 success Lose half the money you bet.
    2 successes Gain the amount you bet plus half again more.
    3 successes Gain double the amount you bet.
    We're disagreeing over the actual totals here, because the 2 and 3 successes have some wiggle room for interpretation - is 'gain the amount you bet' mean recouping the bet, or getting more over and above?.

--

So, starting with 100 gold pieces, how many gold pieces would you have in your possession after gambling, at each number of successes?

Example 1:
    1: owe 100
    2: 50
    3: 150
    4: 200

Example 2:
    3: 250
    4: 300

Which one is right?
    Or, is it something else?
    TIA
    I swear, 1 handed quarterstaves are 5e's spiked chain. - Rainbownaga
    The Warlock is Faust: the Musical: The Class. - toapat

27. - Top - End - #57
    Banned

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Beelzebubba View Post
    Q26

We're disagreeing over the actual totals here, because the 2 and 3 successes have some wiggle room for interpretation - is 'gain the amount you bet' mean recouping the bet, or getting more over and above?.

--

So, starting with 100 gold pieces, how many gold pieces would you have in your possession after gambling, at each number of successes?

Example 1:

Example 2:

Which one is right?
    TIA
    A26
    To lose something suggests it is in your possession until that time at which it is lost.

If you lose 1 [THING] you had 1 [THING] to lose. If you gain 1 [THING] you add it to your inventory, irrespective of whether there was a [THING] already there, and bkth need to be true at the same time the results are resolved. Ergo, I think the latter to be true.

Logically, you gain your bet, matched by an equal bet in return from each other player.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Beelzebubba View Post
    Q26

Spoiler: Question
    Show

--

Example 1:

Example 2:

Which one is right?
    TIA
    A26

It's example 1. When you make a bet the process is as follows:

Start with 100.
    Bet 100. You now have 0.
    Win and gain specified amount for 1, 2 or 3 successes. (Bet*0.5, Bet*1.5, Bet*2)
    OR
    Lose and gain nothing for 0 successes. Furthermore, fall into debt. (Bet*-2, half of which is counted as payed already.)

The main thing is once you make the bet, that money is no longer yours. Works this way in real life also.
    Last edited by Koury; 2018-07-24 at 08:23 AM.
    ...Unless she's cute.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Barbarian in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Fnissalot View Post
    Q25
    When wielding two light weapons, you are allowed to use your bonus action to attack with the off-hand weapon. You are also able to replace an attack with a weapon for one which would be unarmed according to the rules for making unarmed strikes.

Could you then replace the bonus off-hand attack with a unarmed attack as long as you are holding 2 light weapons? Would this work with polearm mastery bonus attack as well?
    A025: You must make both attacks with a light weapon. Unarmed Strike isn’t a light weapon, nor is any polearm.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ogre in the Playground

A26

It's example 1. When you make a bet the process is as follows:

Start with 100.
    Bet 100. You now have 0.
    Win and gain specified amount for 1, 2 or 3 successes. (Bet*0.5, Bet*1.5, Bet*2)
    OR
    Lose and gain nothing for 0 successes. Furthermore, fall into debt. (Bet*-2, half of which is counted as payed already.)

The main thing is once you make the bet, that money is no longer yours. Works this way in real life also.
    A26

I agree Example 1 is the intended outcome, but I think Example 2 is what they actually wrote. If the money you bet is "no longer yours", then "lose half the money you bet" would put you Bet*0.5 in debt. The 100 gold you bet is already lost and you'd have to lose another 50 on top of that. That doesn't make sense with the way they wrote the 0-successes line.

So the way they wrote it has you keeping your bet until the outcome is known. Upon determining your number of successes, you could 1) lose the whole bet and go into debt, 2) lose half the bet and keep the other half, 3) keep the bet and gain 1.5x on top of that, or 4) keep the bet and gain 2x on top.

They should have described 3) and 4) as "retaining" your bet rather than "gaining" your bet.

Powers &8^]