New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 51 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Simple RAW for 5e 4: Smackdown v. RAW

Q45 can you summon a large creature inside a 1by1 square space? If so what happens exactly?

2. - Top - End - #122
    Barbarian in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Myth27 View Post
    Q45 can you summon a large creature inside a 1by1 square space? If so what happens exactly?
    A45 No. All conjuration and summoning spells specify that the creature(s) appear in an unoccupied space(s). A large creature is 10' × 10' (4 squares). A 5' × 5' space as 3 ‘occupied’ squares.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Q46

The Ranger spell Ensnaring Strike--it's a concentration spell that takes affect on your first hit after casting. Once the attack hits, the target makes a saving through, and is (i think) restrained on a failure. Does the Ranger need to maintain concentration for the target to remain restrained, or is the target just restrained until it breaks free with a saving through no matter what? In other words, can I cast a different spell (say, Hunter's Mark) if I currently have a creature restrained with Ensnaring Strike?

4. - Top - End - #124
    Banned

Planetar

[bA46[/b]

Concentration
    Some Spells require you to maintain Concentration in order to keep their magic active. If you lose Concentration, such a spell ends.

If a spell must be maintained with Concentration, that fact appears in its Duration entry, and the spell specifies how long you can concentrate on it. You can end Concentration at any time (no action required).
    It defaults to the normal rules for concentration unless otherwise stated.

If Concentration ends, voluntarily or otherwise, the effects of the spell ends unless otherwise stated. You mist maintain Concentration to keep him restrained.

5. - Top - End - #125

Flumph

Q47

Are there actual rules about Druids and metal armor in 5E?

Q48

If a multiclass Paladin/Druid is in Beast Shape, can they still Smite with their animal form's attacks?

6. - Top - End - #126

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Pope Scarface View Post
    Q47

Are there actual rules about Druids and metal armor in 5E?

Q48

If a multiclass Paladin/Druid is in Beast Shape, can they still Smite with their animal form's attacks?
    A47 Yes, in the Class Features of the Druid under Proficiencies "Armor": PH, page 65.

A48 Yes, as long as the beast form's attack state that they're a "Melee Weapon Attack".

7. - Top - End - #127

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by E’Tallitnics View Post
    A47 Yes, in the Class Features of the Druid under Proficiencies "Armor": PH, page 65.

A48 Yes, as long as the beast form's attack state that they're a "Melee Weapon Attack".
    Q47. That isn't a mechanic. It doesn't even say they are not proficient with metal armor. What happens if you dominate person a druid into wearing metal armor? Are there mechanics for this anywhere?

8. - Top - End - #128
    Bugbear in the Playground

Question 49: Does the difference in text between Dark One's Own Luck and the Lucky feat mean that they trigger at slightly different times? Or, is D.O.O.L. supposed to be used at the same time as Lucky, after seeing your roll but before you know how it turns out?
    Lucky: You roll, see it's a bad roll and decide to reroll, then find out the result.
    D.O.O.L: You roll, find out the result, decide to add a d10 and see if that result succeeds.
    Spoiler: Dark One's Own Luck
    Show
    (Warlock optional class feature, emphasis mine)
    When you make an ability check or a saving throw, you can use this feature to add a d10 to your roll. You can do so after seeing the initial roll but before any of the roll’s effects occur.

Spoiler: Lucky
    Show
    (Feat, emphasis mine)
    Whenever you make an attack roll, an ability check, or a saving throw, you can spend one luck point to roll an additional d20. You can choose to spend one of your luck points after you roll the die, but before the outcome is determined. You choose which of the d20s is used for the attack roll, ability check, or saving throw.
    Last edited by gr8artist; 2018-08-17 at 09:13 PM.
    My Homebrew and Extended Signature
    Current avatar: Charza Sahlaren, by gr8artist

9. - Top - End - #129

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Pope Scarface View Post
    Q47. That isn't a mechanic. It doesn't even say they are not proficient with metal armor. What happens if you dominate person a druid into wearing metal armor? Are there mechanics for this anywhere?
    R47 (Reference to Q47) It is a subset of the ‘mechanic’ of Armor Proficiency. The rules don’t specify the armor’s material because that’s up to the DM.

ToA Spoiler Example: In Tomb of Annihilation there’s Chitin Plate Mail made from the remains of a Scorpion. For a Druid with the Heavy Armor Master feat it’s a wearable item.

10. - Top - End - #130

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by gr8artist View Post
    Question 49: Does the difference in text between Dark One's Own Luck and the Lucky feat mean that they trigger at slightly different times? Or, is D.O.O.L. supposed to be used at the same time as Lucky, after seeing your roll but before you know how it turns out?
    Lucky: You roll, see it's a bad roll and decide to reroll, then find out the result.
    D.O.O.L: You roll, find out the result, decide to add a d10 and see if that result succeeds.
    Show
    When you make an ability check or a saving throw, you can use this feature to add a d10 to your roll. You can do so after seeing the initial roll but before any of the roll’s effects occur.

Show
    (Feat, emphasis mine)
    Whenever you make an attack roll, an ability check, or a saving throw, you can spend one luck point to roll an additional d20. You can choose to spend one of your luck points after you roll the die, but before the outcome is determined. You choose which of the d20s is used for the attack roll, ability check, or saving throw.

A49 [An Attack role isn’t processed in your example] Dark One’s Own Luck is processed first, then Lucky. That’s because your roll is immediately known.

11. - Top - End - #131

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by gr8artist View Post
    Show

Show
    (Feat, emphasis mine)
    Usually, the order in which things happen is obvious. Sometimes, two or more things are written to occur at the same time. For example, two things might occur 'at the end of your turn'. In such cases, the person controlling that creature (player for PCs, DM for everything else) chooses the order in which they are resolved.

In your case, both Dark One's Own Luck and Lucky both occur after the d20 is rolled but before the outcome is determined and the effects occur. Therefore, the player chooses the order (or the DM chooses if the warlock is an NPC).

12. - Top - End - #132
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGuy

Q50:
    If one cast Darkness on a ball and commands an Unseen Servant to move the ball by rolling the ball,rather than carrying it,will the Darkness ”stick” to the ball?

13. - Top - End - #133
    Banned

Planetar

A50 yes, it will move with the item.
    If the point you choose is on an object you are holding or one that isn't being worn or carried, the darkness emanates from the object and moves with it

14. - Top - End - #134
    Troll in the Playground

Q51 Where are racial features for geth player characters (which book)? Alternatively, can someone just list them?
    If you cast Dispel Magic on my Gust of Wind, does that mean you're disgusting?

In real estate, they say it's all about location, location, location. In D&D I say it's about action economy, action economy, action economy.

Crystal Mage -- a homebrewed arcane tradition

15. - Top - End - #135

Quote Originally Posted by Dalebert View Post
    Q51 Where are racial features for geth player characters (which book)? Alternatively, can someone just list them?
    Mordenkainen's Tomb of Foes, page 96.

16. - Top - End - #136

Quote Originally Posted by E’Tallitnics View Post
    R47 (Reference to Q47) It is a subset of the ‘mechanic’ of Armor Proficiency. The rules don’t specify the armor’s material because that’s up to the DM.

ToA Spoiler Example: In Tomb of Annihilation there’s Chitin Plate Mail made from the remains of a Scorpion. For a Druid with the Heavy Armor Master feat it’s a wearable item.
    Q52 so if druids only dont wear metal because they are specifically not proficient in it, and animals dont need proficiency to wear barding can a druid while shape changed wear metal medium barding? Metal heavy barding? Non metal heavy barding?
    Last edited by MagneticKitty; 2018-08-21 at 05:34 PM.

17. - Top - End - #137
    Troll in the Playground

Q 47 Druid's wion't wear metal armor. They're proficient in all light and medium armor. It's more of a religious conviction, like Jews avoiding eating pork. I'm sorry I don't have the reference but Jeremy mentioned at some point in a podcast or something that it was never intended as a mechanical limitation that would imbalance if gone; just a flavor thing.

In real estate, they say it's all about location, location, location. In D&D I say it's about action economy, action economy, action economy.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Banned

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by MagneticKitty View Post
    Q52 so if druids only dont wear metal because they are specifically not proficient in it, and animals dont need proficiency to wear barding can a druid while shape changed wear metal medium barding? Metal heavy barding? Non metal heavy barding?
    A52 neither of your statements are correct. Druids are proficient, but will not wear metal armour. Barding is still armour just shaped and priced appropriately, and still needs proficiency.
    Last edited by Kadesh; 2018-08-21 at 08:11 PM.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

Re 52 If a druid wears metal armor, the druid explodes.

It's in the sage advice compendium.
    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    But as we've agreed, sometimes the real power was the friends we made along the way, including the DM. I wish I could go on more articulate rants about how I'm grateful for DMs putting in the effort on a hard job even when it isn't perfect.

20. - Top - End - #140

Quote Originally Posted by Kadesh View Post
    A52 neither of your statements are correct. Druids are proficient, but will not wear metal armour. Barding is still armour just shaped and priced appropriately, and still needs proficiency.
    Where's the proof that regular animals aren't proficient in barding? None of them get penalties from armor
    Last edited by MagneticKitty; 2018-08-22 at 06:32 PM.

21. - Top - End - #141

Where's the proof that regular animals aren't proficient in barding? None of them get penalties from armor
    To be fair, armored animals (like the warhorse) are variants; and it is probably assumed that the horse has in fact been trained in whatever barding it is given. Ultimately whether a DM allows a particular animal access to an armor proficiency or not is their call to make.

To readdress the original-ish quandary of Q52:
    A wildshaped druid can wear any light or medium armor/barding; assuming it is made to fit its form. It will not use metal barding though, because its still a druid.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Troll in the Playground

What reason do you have to think that? Have you seen official stats on an animal with armor on? I don't recall ever seeing any but I could've missed it.

As DM, I would probably treat a warhorse as being proficient but that's just a judgment call that I think makes sense; not RAW as far as I know.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Banned

Planetar

phb 144; Armor Proficiency. Anyone can put on a suit of armor or strap a shield to an arm. Only those proficient in the armor's use know how to wear it effectively, however. Your class gives you proficiency with certain types of armor. If you wear armor that you lack proficiency with, you have disadvantage on any ability check, saving throw, or attack roll that involves Strength or Dexterity, and you can't cast spells.

mm 9; ARMOR, WEAPON, AND TOOL PROFICIENCIES
    Assume that a creature is proficient with its armor, weapons, and tools. If you swap them out, you decide whether the creature is proficient with its new equipment.

For example, a hill giant typically wears hide armor and wields a greatclub. You could equip a hill giant with chain mail and a greataxe instead, and assume the giant is proficient with both, one or the other, or neither. See the Player's Handbook for rules on using armor or weapons without proficiency.

The MM only allows you to provide proficiency swaps, and if you have nothing to swap, then you can't gain anything new. If you can find a Beast outside of an Armoured Warhorse, be my guest.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

Q53 Could a creature casting command 'speak' its command with telepathy? Specifically, could a creature reply to another creature telepathically contacting it so they can issue the command in a language the creature understands?
    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    But as we've agreed, sometimes the real power was the friends we made along the way, including the DM. I wish I could go on more articulate rants about how I'm grateful for DMs putting in the effort on a hard job even when it isn't perfect.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Banned

Planetar

A53
    Telepathy makes no mention of speaking, which Command requires you to do.

Telepathy does not allow you to translate words into another language (that requires the Tongues spell), nor does it give you the ability to discern what languages the target knows (Detect Thoughts needed for that).

26. - Top - End - #146

DwarfClericGuy

Q54

Creature with flying (adult green dragon) reaches medium creature, sucessfully grapples it. Flies up. At a certain height, creature with flying tries to drop medium creature. How could medium creature hold onto creature with flying (mechanically)? Would it be grapple rules all over again?

27. - Top - End - #147
    Banned

Planetar

A54 There is no way for a creature to hold on. The Grapple rules require a creature to be no larger than one size larger than you (an Adult Dragon being Huge). There are variant rules in the DMG called "Climb onto a bigger creature" (pg 271), which allow a creature to move on to a larger one and move around its body as if in difficult terrain after making an Acrobatics or Athletics check contested by an opponents Acrobatics check, which are simple enough.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Titan in the Playground

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by Kadesh View Post
    A54 There is no way for a creature to hold on. The Grapple rules require a creature to be no larger than one size larger than you (an Adult Dragon being Huge). There are variant rules in the DMG called "Climb onto a bigger creature" (pg 271), which allow a creature to move on to a larger one and move around its body as if in difficult terrain after making an Acrobatics or Athletics check contested by an opponents Acrobatics check, which are simple enough.
    Except there's no way to do that as a reaction, which is what you'd need if you're dropped on someone else's turn. You fall.
    Dawn of Hope: a 5e setting. http://wiki.admiralbenbo.org
    Rogue Equivalent Damage calculator, now prettier and more configurable!
    5e Monster Data Sheet--vital statistics for all 693 MM, Volo's, and now MToF monsters: Updated!
    NIH system 5e fork, very much WIP. Base github repo.
    NIH System PDF Up to date main-branch build version.

29. - Top - End - #149
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGuy

Q55:
    Would Tavern Brawler let a Wildshaped character strike for 1d4 and Grapple as a Bonus action?

30. - Top - End - #150
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ogun View Post
    Q55:
    Would Tavern Brawler let a Wildshaped character strike for 1d4 and Grapple as a Bonus action?
    A 55
    Yes, while wildshaped you can still make unarmed strikes, and those unarmed strikes deal the same damage they would if you weren't wildshaped.
    Last edited by leogobsin; 2018-08-24 at 10:37 PM.