New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 51 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Banned

Planetar

Default Re: Simple RAW for 5e 4: Smackdown v. RAW

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixPhyre View Post
    A63 official base classes? No. There are subclasses published in SCAG and XGtE, but so far only the 12 base classes are official.
    There is also the mystic, but it is UA, and not yet legal (or balanced).

2. - Top - End - #182
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Q65

Does Natural Armor count as wearing Armor for purposes of things such as a Monk's Martial Arts?

(Context: I was looking at possible builds for a Ninja Tortle, and my first read suggests the shell shuts down a number of Monk features.)

3. - Top - End - #183
    Banned

Planetar

A65
    No, although you get no benefit from the Unarmoured Defense of the Monk (or Barbarian) unless it specifically increases any extant AC you have.
    Last edited by Kadesh; 2018-09-02 at 01:11 PM.

4. - Top - End - #184
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGuy

Q 66

Can you use contingency in combination with a spell stored in a ring of spell storing?

Edit: specifically to cast a spell that isn't on your normal list.
    Last edited by th3g0dc0mp13x; 2018-09-02 at 11:59 AM.

5. - Top - End - #185
    Banned

Planetar

A66
    "The ring can store up to 5 levels worth of spells at a time"

"CONTINGENCY
    6th-level evocation"

No.

Edit; if that was not what you meant,
    Choose a spell of 5th level or lower that you can cast, that has a casting time of 1 action, and that can target you.
    While wearing this ring, you can cast any spell stored in it. The spell uses the slot level, spell save DC, spell attack bonus, and spellcasting ability of the original caster, but is otherwise treated as if you cast the spell.
    Yes, you can use a spell that someone has cast into the Ring as part of the Contingency spell, provided it has a Casting Time of 1 action, and can target you.
    Last edited by Kadesh; 2018-09-02 at 12:23 PM.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BloodSnake'sCha View Post
    Q 64

Is the 4 hours Elf Trance count as a long rest or do they still need to do nothing for 4 more hours?

I ask for RAW only and I will like to know the sources if you have them as I wasn't able to find it.

Thank you in advance for the help :)
    This is Q64 you may want to edit your post because someone may think I already got an answer.

It should look like this
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadesh View Post
    A64A65
    No, although you get no benefit from the Unarmoured Defense of the Monk (or Barbarian) unless it specifically increases any extant AC you have.
    Last edited by BloodSnake'sCha; 2018-09-02 at 12:36 PM.

7. - Top - End - #187
    Banned

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by BloodSnake'sCha View Post
    Q 64

Is the 4 hours Elf Trance count as a long rest or do they still need to do nothing for 4 more hours?

I ask for RAW only and I will like to know the sources if you have them as I wasn't able to find it.

Thank you in advance for the help :)
    Apologies. Finger must have slipped I guess?

A64 A long rest is 8 hours. Nothing within the wording of the Elf Trance ability affects how long you long rest for, otherwise it would state that your Long Rest is shorter consequently

If you wish to debate this, feel free to avail yourself of the hundreds, if not thousands of posts written on the subject, message the creator of the game on twitter, and then, once you have done so, create a new thread on the forum to bring to light any new previously unseen rule affecting a Long Rest due to Trancing.

This argument has been long hashed out, and you will either fall on one side of fence, or the other, and this Simple RAW thread is not the place to have it again, thanks.

8. - Top - End - #188
    Ettin in the Playground

A64
    Just as non elves only need six hours of sleep and Aspect of the Moon warlocks need zero, Elves still need a full eight hours of downtime for a long rest.
    Keeping watch is, however, explictly an allowed part of taking a long rest, so you could trance for four hours, and keep a long watch, during which time you cook breakfast, read a book and prepare your spells, all without breaking your long rest.
    Last edited by Thanatos 51-50; 2018-09-02 at 04:43 PM.

9. - Top - End - #189
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Q67
    Can multiple paladins benefit from all of their Auras of Protection? I know that sort of thing didn't work in 3.5, but I can't find, on a cursory scan, where the rule against such a thing would be in 5th.

Edit: Q68
    Are spells cast via warlock invocations all at minimum level, or are they at the level of the warlock's spell slots?
    Last edited by VoxRationis; 2018-09-03 at 11:20 AM.

10. - Top - End - #190
    Banned

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by VoxRationis View Post
    Can multiple paladins benefit from all of their Auras of Protection? I know that sort of thing didn't work in 3.5, but I can't find, on a cursory scan, where the rule against such a thing would be in 5th.
    Please can you include the number for your question? I believe it should be Q67.

A67
    Yes, a creature under the effects of multiple Auras of protection recieves the benefit of all.

11. - Top - End - #191
    Barbarian in the Playground

Q69a: What are the RAW sources for D&D 5e?
    For example, is the Blood Hunter from D&D Beyond a RAW base class?
    Is Unearthed Arcana a RAW source?
    Is this determined by the adventure guild? Or is that just a specialized form of play?

Q69b: What is the RAW mingling of sources for D&D 5e.
    I understand something about PHB + One other splatbook, and Eberron can have any number of splatbooks? Where is this cited, if at all?
    Last edited by AugustNights; 2018-09-03 at 12:15 PM.

12. - Top - End - #192
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by VoxRationis View Post
    Q68
    Are spells cast via warlock invocations all at minimum level, or are they at the level of the warlock's spell slots?
    A68
    If the Invocation lets you cast the spell using a Warlock spell slot (like Bewitching Whispers), then the spell is cast at the level of the slot used. If the Invocation lets you cast it at will (like Armor of Shadows), then the spell is cast at its base level.

13. - Top - End - #193
    Banned

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by AugustNights View Post
    Q69a: What are the RAW sources for D&D 5e?
    For example, is the Bloodhunter from D&D Beyond a RAW base class?
    Is Unearthed Arcana a RAW source?
    Is this determined by the adventure guild? Or is that just a specialized form of play?

Q69b: What is the RAW mingling of sources for D&D 5e.
    I understand something about PHB + One other splatbook, and Eberron can have any number of splatbooks? Where is this cited, if at all?
    A69 "RAW" means "Rules as Written" and means that what you play is what is played exactly as it is written, even if the intention appears to be opposite to what the rules do. "Rules as intended", or "RAI", are rules which appear to take "designers intent" into consideration - and often erroneously used when there is no documentation of what the designers intent was, and while we're at it, another interpretation is "Rules as Common Sense Dictates", or "RACSD", which is almost exactly what it says on the tin - often ignoring RAW, and even the nebulous "intent" to dictate what makes sense to the common standard of reading without needing to be passed in the bar.

However, in this thread, only the "RAW" as relating to first party content is considered.

I presume you mean "First Party" - which is material produced by Wizards of the Coast; these can be found here - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ns_5th_edition

No, the Blood Hunter is not First Party - it has been written as homebrew by Matthew Mercer and stands in a weird limbo as he has been all but employed as a de facto ambassador for 5e and is sponsored by D&D beyond. The Blood Hunter itself has not been published by WotC and is thus not First Party.

Unearthed Arcana is technically produced by WotC and thus First Party, but it is explicitly play test material, not finalised, subject to review by the public in the weeks following its release, and confirmed by the design team to no longer be in consideration if it's not published in a specific production within a year. However, this thread should have an answer to questions relating to such, although it's often better to ask elsewhere in its own thread, as answers may have multiple interpretations due to the lack of proof reading.

Adventurers' League is a specific type of play, and the rules of that can be found if you google "Adventurer's League rules", typically noted as being "PHB+1"; you can take additional material from a single book when you participate in the Adventurer's League. I've recently seen it noted that playing the Adventurer's League in Eberron allows you to use the Wayfinder's Guide to Eberron in addition to the "PHB+1" rule, but as I do not play by those rules, I cannot confirm, nor do I wish to bother checking.

If your DM is running a game, it's often wise to double check to see if your character is good to run within their setting - even though it's "RAW" and technically feasible, you might to appropriately explain how a low level character from Eberron has found itself situated in Neverwinter. Adventurer's League was specifically set up to ease the task on DM's running for random people each week that they weren't dealing with both RAW legal characters, and not having to mitigate a Book-dived Franken-character in an game intended to draw in new players, thus the often considered draconian limitation on what you bring to an Adventurer's League Game.

DnD Beyond is little more than a tool used to allow characters to be transported between sessions using the internet and to act as an in house marketing tool, capitalizing on the gap of old online character stat-sites like Myth Weavers. Although it is allowed to use certain trademarks, it is created and owned by Curse, which is in turn a part of Twitch, and therefore nothing to do with WotC.

Many home games do not use those rules, use "houserules" to offset or prevent broken, albeit RAW, combinations, and go to the extent of creating Homebrew - such as how Matt Mercer created the Blood Hunter to specifically tie in with Vin Diesel's character during the early days of 5e promotion with his iconic role in a recent Fantasy film, the Last Witch Hunter. The Critical Role campaigns are rather notorious for not playing by the rules completely, often allowing for "rule of cool" moments, homebrew, and to show the opportunity that sometimes making a mistake with the rules needn't be the be-all, end-all of the game.

Any further discussions or questions you have should be made in a new thread - I have gone on far too long already for a "Simple RAW" thread. Please limit further questions in this thread to what is produced within WotC published books or Unearthed Arcana.

14. - Top - End - #194
    Banned

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by leogobsin View Post
    A68
    If the Invocation lets you cast the spell using a Warlock spell slot (like Bewitching Whispers), then the spell is cast at the level of the slot used. If the Invocation lets you cast it at will (like Armor of Shadows), then the spell is cast at its base level.
    Further to that, here is the Sage Advice;

Spell Level
    What level is a spell if you cast it without a spell slot? Such a spell is cast at its lowest possible level, which is the level that appears near the top of its description. Unless you have a special ability that says otherwise, the only way to increase the level of a spell is to expend a higher-level spell slot when you cast it.
    Here are some examples:
    • The warlock’s Chains of Carceri feature lets a warlock cast hold monster without a spell slot. That casting of hold monster is, therefore, 5th level, which is the lowest possible level for that spell.
    • The warlock’s Thief of Five Fates feature lets a warlock cast bane with a spell slot, which means the spell is 1st level or higher, depending on the slot that the warlock expends to cast it.
    • The monk’s Disciple of the Elements feature lets the monk spend ki points, rather than a spell slot, to increase the level of a spell.
    This rule is true for player characters and monsters alike, which is why the innate spellcasters in the Monster Manual must cast an innate spell at its lowest possible level.

15. - Top - End - #195
    Orc in the Playground

Zombie

Q70

When multiclassing between classes with different hit dice, you have distinct Hit Dice you can use during a Short Rest for Hit Point recovery. During a Long Rest, you can recover only half of your Level in Hit Dice. If mixed dice totalling more than half of your Level have been expended, is there a specified recovery order?

A clarifying example: I multiclass Sorcerer/2 Barbarian/4 (just to prove I can). I have 2d6+4d12 Hit Dice. During a Short Rest, I expend them all. At my next Long Rest, as a player I obviously want to recover 3d12, rather than 1d6+2d12 or 2d6+1d12.

16. - Top - End - #196
    Banned

Planetar

A70
    There is no specified order. If you have 3d10 and 3d8, and spend the 3d10 and a single d8, you can choose to recover all 3d10 after the long rest.

17. - Top - End - #197
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Q71 pole arm master feat lets you attack with the opposite end of the glaive as a bonus action. Can you take the bonus action first?
    Last edited by Dmdork; 2018-09-04 at 03:35 AM.

18. - Top - End - #198
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dmdork View Post
    Q71 pole arm master feat lets you attack with the opposite end of the glaive as a bonus action. Can you take the bonus action first?
    A71

Sage Advice ruling (this one is about the Shield Master bonus action shove, but it is very similar to PAM):

Clarification about bonus actions: if a feature says you can do X as a bonus action if you do Y, you must do Y before you can do X. For Shield Master, that means the bonus action must come after the Attack action. You decide when it happens afterward that turn. #DnD

Q72

I have a question regarding Transmute Rock:

You choose an area of stone or mud that you can see that fits within a 40-foot cube and that is within range, and choose one of the following effects.

Does this mean that I can choose any portion of stone/mud within the cube, or do I have to target everything that fits within it?
    Last edited by Platypusbill; 2018-09-04 at 04:00 AM.

19. - Top - End - #199
    Banned

Planetar

A72
    As long as it fits within the 40ft cube.

20. - Top - End - #200
    Ogre in the Playground

A67
    Yes, a creature under the effects of multiple Auras of protection recieves the benefit of all.
    A67

This is inaccurate. Game effects with the same name do not stack; they overlap. Only the strongest applies its effects.

Powers &8^]

21. - Top - End - #201
    Banned

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by LtPowers View Post
    A67

This is inaccurate. Game effects with the same name do not stack; they overlap. Only the strongest applies its effects.

Powers &8^]
    https://www.sageadvice.eu/2015/08/18...tection-stack/

22. - Top - End - #202
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGuy

Q73

Does a spell cast from a ring of spell storing take the same amount of time to cast from the ring as it did to put it in the ring.

Example: I take 1 minute to cast Leomund's tiny hut into a ring of spell storing. Does it take an action or 1 minute to cast when it's released from the ring of spell storing?

23. - Top - End - #203
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by th3g0dc0mp13x View Post
    Q73

Does a spell cast from a ring of spell storing take the same amount of time to cast from the ring as it did to put it in the ring.

Example: I take 1 minute to cast Leomund's tiny hut into a ring of spell storing. Does it take an action or 1 minute to cast when it's released from the ring of spell storing?
    A 73 From the Ring of Spell Storing description: "The spell uses the slot level, spell save DC, spell attack bonus, and spellcasting ability of the original caster, but is otherwise treated as if you cast the spell."

So yes, a spell cast from a Ring of Spell Storing has the casting time listed in its description.
    Last edited by leogobsin; 2018-09-06 at 04:44 PM.

24. - Top - End - #204
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGuy

Q74:
    If you cast Chill Touch from hiding, does this give away your presence,position or relative direction?
    Last edited by Ogun; 2018-09-06 at 09:05 PM.

25. - Top - End - #205
    Banned

Planetar

A74
    The GM decides when circumstances are appropriate for hiding. When you try to hide, make a Dexterity (Stealth) check. Until you are discovered or you stop hiding, that check's total is contested by the Wisdom (Perception) check of any creature that actively searches for signs of your presence.

You can't hide from a creature that can see you clearly, and you give away your position if you make noise, such as shouting a warning or knocking over a vase.

An invisible creature can always try to hide. Signs of its passage might still be noticed, and it does have to stay quiet.

In combat, most creatures stay alert for signs of danger all around, so if you come out of hiding and approach a creature, it usually sees you. However, under certain circumstances, the GM might allow you to stay hidden as you approach a creature that is distracted, allowing you to gain advantage on an attack roll before you are seen.
    DMs judgement. Casting a spell with a Verbal Component however is likely something which constitutes 'not hiding' unless it can't hear you.

26. - Top - End - #206
    Bugbear in the Playground

A74

DMs judgement. Casting a spell with a Verbal Component however is likely something which constitutes 'not hiding' unless it can't hear you.
    R74 To add to this, it should be noted that things like Subtle Spell exist to allow someone to cast without notice.

You can't whisper a Verbal Component, invoking a Spell is supposed to be obvious; unless one of the few measures to obfuscate casting are employed.

27. - Top - End - #207
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGuy

Q75:
    Can Minor Illusion be used to create the Illusion of Silence?
    How about a impenetrable din?

28. - Top - End - #208

Quote Originally Posted by Ogun View Post
    Q75:
    Can Minor Illusion be used to create the Illusion of Silence?
    How about a impenetrable din?
    A75: No to both.

Minor Illusion can "create a sound ... its volume can range from a whisper to a scream."

Silence is less than a whisper and an 'impenetrable din' is more than a scream. Also, the spell cannot create actual barriers.
    Last edited by Erys; 2018-09-07 at 09:55 PM.

29. - Top - End - #209
    Barbarian in the Playground

Q76: the feat mounted combatant reads: You can force an attack targeted at your mount to target you instead.
    Does this include anything with an attack roll? What about single target spell saves? What all does an "attack" encompass? Anything that uses an attack action and has a single target of your mount?

Thanks!
    Last edited by MagneticKitty; 2018-09-10 at 04:48 PM.

30. - Top - End - #210

Quote Originally Posted by MagneticKitty View Post
    Q76: the feat mounted combatant reads: You can force an attack targeted at your mount to target you instead.
    Does this include anything with an attack roll? What about single target spell saves? What all does an "attack" encompass? Anything that uses an attack action and has a single target of your mount?

Thanks!
    A76: An "Attack" is any offensive action that uses an 'Attack Roll'. (PHB 193-194; Making an Attack section).

So any melee, ranged, or spell that uses an Attack Roll and is against your mount can be directed to you instead. But something that targets your mount and forces a save cannot be redirected.