The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 8 of 41 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast
Results 211 to 240 of 1223
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Daemon

    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Simple RAW for 5e 4: Smackdown v. RAW

    Quote Originally Posted by MagneticKitty View Post
    Q76: the feat mounted combatant reads: You can force an attack targeted at your mount to target you instead.
    Does this include anything with an attack roll? What about single target spell saves? What all does an "attack" encompass? Anything that uses an attack action and has a single target of your mount?

    Thanks!
    A76 Attack is generally a term of art, meaning "make an attack roll as defined." So saves are out. The only exceptions (to my knowledge) are grapples and shoves, which are explicitly called out as attacks.

    So anything that requires an attack roll counts, anything that does not involve such a roll, does not count.
    Dream of Hope: a 5e setting. http://www.admiralbenbo.org
    PhoenixPhyre's Extended Homebrew Signature
    5e Monster Data Sheet--vital statistics for all 693 MM, Volo's, and now MToF monsters: Updated!

  2. - Top - End - #212
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2005

    Default Re: Simple RAW for 5e 4: Smackdown v. RAW

    A67 Those tweets are over three years old and predate the DMG erratum that says the following:

    Different game features can affect a target at the same time. But when two or more game features have the same name, only the effects of one of them—the most potent one—apply while the durations of the effects overlap.
    Please see the DMG Errata (PDF) under Chapter 8, "Combining Game Effects". Paladin Auras no longer stack, even if they once did based on RAW.


    Powers &8^]

  3. - Top - End - #213
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    PaladinGuy

    Join Date
    Feb 2018

    Default Re: Simple RAW for 5e 4: Smackdown v. RAW

    Q77: Does familiar's invisibility end when a warlock casts touch range spells through it? Like an invisible imp (or sprite) delivering Cure Wounds (or Shocking Grasp).

    Q78: Should I have an advantage on attack rolls when invisible familiar delivers a touch range spell like Shocking Grasp or Contagion?
    Last edited by gnollgnoll; 2018-09-13 at 03:12 AM. Reason: added another question

  4. - Top - End - #214
    Banned
     
    Planetar

    Join Date
    Mar 2018

    Default Re: Simple RAW for 5e 4: Smackdown v. RAW

    A77
    A familiar does not have advantage normally, so ot depends on the source of invisibility.

    'Finally, when you Cast a Spell with a range of touch, your familiar can deliver the spell as if it had cast the spell. Your familiar must be within 100 feet of you, and it must use its reaction to deliver the spell when you cast it. If the spell requires an Attack roll, you use your Attack modifier for the roll.'

    An imp loses its Invisibility when it makes an attack, as does a creature under the effects of the Invisibility spell.

    A78
    Invisible
    An invisible creature is impossible to see without the aid of magic or a special sense. For the purpose of hiding, the creature is heavily obscured. The creature's location can be detected by any noise it makes or any tracks it leaves.
    Attack rolls against the creature have disadvantage, and the creature's attack rolls have advantage.
    Provided that the Familiar would otherwise not be subject to disadvantage, an Invisible creature has advantage on its attacks.

  5. - Top - End - #215
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    PaladinGuy

    Join Date
    Mar 2014

    Default Re: Simple RAW for 5e 4: Smackdown v. RAW

    Q79: Suppose I am incapacitated via Hypnotic Pattern, and thus unable to take actions or reactions. I receive damage, which ends Hypnotic Pattern. Can I now use my reaction to activate the Goliath racial ability Stone's Endurance, which reduces incoming damage? Does it matter that I was unable to take reactions at the moment I received the damage?

    Extra-fun bonus question: If I reduce the damage to 0 via Stone's Endurance, does that mean I did not receive damage, meaning that Hypnotic Pattern did not end, meaning that I could not use Stone's Endurance, meaning that I did indeed take the damage, meaning that Hypnotic Pattern did end, meaning that I used Stone's Endurance....thus creating a causal loop that rips a hole in the fabric of space and time?
    “I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are good people and bad people. You're wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides.”
    - Lord Havelock Vetinari, Patrician of Ankh-Morpork

  6. - Top - End - #216
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    E’Tallitnics's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Prime Material Plane

    Default Re: Simple RAW for 5e 4: Smackdown v. RAW

    Quote Originally Posted by NecessaryWeevil View Post
    Q79: Suppose I am incapacitated via Hypnotic Pattern, and thus unable to take actions or reactions. I receive damage, which ends Hypnotic Pattern. Can I now use my reaction to activate the Goliath racial ability Stone's Endurance, which reduces incoming damage? Does it matter that I was unable to take reactions at the moment I received the damage?

    Extra-fun bonus question: If I reduce the damage to 0 via Stone's Endurance, does that mean I did not receive damage, meaning that Hypnotic Pattern did not end, meaning that I could not use Stone's Endurance, meaning that I did indeed take the damage, meaning that Hypnotic Pattern did end, meaning that I used Stone's Endurance....thus creating a causal loop that rips a hole in the fabric of space and time?
    A79 No, you cannot use a reaction if you're incapacitated.

  7. - Top - End - #217
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    PaladinGuy

    Join Date
    Mar 2014

    Default Re: Simple RAW for 5e 4: Smackdown v. RAW

    Quote Originally Posted by E’Tallitnics View Post
    A79 No, you cannot use a reaction if you're incapacitated.
    So, despite the fact that damage ends the spell that was incapacitating me, you'd rule that I was still incapacitated at the moment I took the damage? (Not disagreeing, just clarifying your reasoning for myself)
    “I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are good people and bad people. You're wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides.”
    - Lord Havelock Vetinari, Patrician of Ankh-Morpork

  8. - Top - End - #218
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    E’Tallitnics's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Prime Material Plane

    Default Re: Simple RAW for 5e 4: Smackdown v. RAW

    Quote Originally Posted by NecessaryWeevil View Post
    So, despite the fact that damage ends the spell that was incapacitating me, you'd rule that I was still incapacitated at the moment I took the damage? (Not disagreeing, just clarifying your reasoning for myself)
    R79 Exactly! Nothing occurs simultaneously in 5e except for Magic Missiles.

  9. - Top - End - #219
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    PaladinGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2015

    Default Re: Simple RAW for 5e 4: Smackdown v. RAW

    Q80: If a Cleric takes the Attack Action, can he then use his bonus action to cast Healing Word?

  10. - Top - End - #220
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    E’Tallitnics's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Prime Material Plane

    Default Re: Simple RAW for 5e 4: Smackdown v. RAW

    Quote Originally Posted by Oramac View Post
    Q80: If a Cleric takes the Attack Action, can he then use his bonus action to cast Healing Word?
    A80 Yes he can!

  11. - Top - End - #221
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    OrcBarbarianGirl

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Why am I here?

    Default Re: Simple RAW for 5e 4: Smackdown v. RAW

    Q81 If I have Tavern Brawler and I hit an enemy with an improvised weapon I have thrown, can I still use a bonus action to grapple them? (I assume I still have to move up to the creature and get within grapple range.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Petrocorus View Post
    This thread, Questions that can't be answered... Answered by RAW by No brains, is Epic.
    Quote Originally Posted by illyahr View Post
    That is so stupid it's hilarious.
    Quote Originally Posted by georgie_leech View Post
    ...I've clearly been playing D&D for too long, because that made a demented kind of sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by that_one_kobold View Post
    And this is why I love D&D

  12. - Top - End - #222
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    E’Tallitnics's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Prime Material Plane

    Default Re: Simple RAW for 5e 4: Smackdown v. RAW

    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    Q81 If I have Tavern Brawler and I hit an enemy with an improvised weapon I have thrown, can I still use a bonus action to grapple them? (I assume I still have to move up to the creature and get within grapple range.)
    A81 Yes. The bonus action processes off of, “a hit” and improvised weapons include thrown objects.
    Last edited by E’Tallitnics; 2018-09-16 at 05:50 PM. Reason: Spelling.

  13. - Top - End - #223
    Orc in the Playground
     
    OrcBarbarianGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2014

    Default Re: Simple RAW for 5e 4: Smackdown v. RAW

    Q82 does standing up from prone in difficult terrain cost you extra movement?

  14. - Top - End - #224
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Erys's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2016

    Default Re: Simple RAW for 5e 4: Smackdown v. RAW

    Quote Originally Posted by Dmdork View Post
    Q82 does standing up from prone in difficult terrain cost you extra movement?
    A82: No.

    In the same section that explains prone it also mentions moving while prone (crawling) cost an addition foot of movement (2 feet per one moved) and that doing so in difficult terrain cost an another foot of movement (i.e. 3 feet of move per foot moved). Since they make this distinction, it is clear Standing Up is not considered moving through terrain, and therefore does not cost any extra movement.

    Which is good, half your move is already a lot.

  15. - Top - End - #225
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    GnomeWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Jan 2017

    Default Re: Simple RAW for 5e 4: Smackdown v. RAW

    Q83

    Can a creature summoned with conjure x be charmed by the charm monster spell from XGtE? How does this work? IE Caster 1 casts conjure elemental. Caster 2 (enemy of caster 1) casts charm monster on the elemental.

  16. - Top - End - #226
    Orc in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2018

    Default Re: Simple RAW for 5e 4: Smackdown v. RAW

    Quote Originally Posted by MrWesson22 View Post
    Q83

    Can a creature summoned with conjure x be charmed by the charm monster spell from XGtE? How does this work? IE Caster 1 casts conjure elemental. Caster 2 (enemy of caster 1) casts charm monster on the elemental.
    A83I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work. The elemental wouldn't stop being friendly to Caster 1, and would still obey commands from Caster 1, unless the command was to attack Caster 2, which the Charmed condition renders impossible.
    Last edited by leogobsin; 2018-09-18 at 08:48 PM.

  17. - Top - End - #227
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    GnomeWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Jan 2017

    Default Re: Simple RAW for 5e 4: Smackdown v. RAW

    Quote Originally Posted by leogobsin View Post
    I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work. The elemental wouldn't stop being friendly to Caster 1, and would still obey commands from Caster 1, unless the command was to attack Caster 2, which the Charmed condition renders impossible.
    So the elemental would still be under caster 1's command as long as caster 1 didn't lose concentration but would refuse to attack caster 2 (assuming it failed the save vs caster 2's CM)?

  18. - Top - End - #228
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Erys's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2016

    Default Re: Simple RAW for 5e 4: Smackdown v. RAW

    Quote Originally Posted by MrWesson22 View Post
    So the elemental would still be under caster 1's command as long as caster 1 didn't lose concentration but would refuse to attack caster 2 (assuming it failed the save vs caster 2's CM)?
    That is correct.

  19. - Top - End - #229
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Dalebert's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Simple RAW for 5e 4: Smackdown v. RAW

    Q84 Do you have to decide to empower before you roll or can you decide after rolling a bunch of 1s and 2s?
    If you cast Dispel Magic on my Gust of Wind, does that mean you're disgusting?

    In real estate, they say it's all about location, location, location. In D&D I say it's about action economy, action economy, action economy.

    Crystal Mage -- a homebrewed arcane tradition

  20. - Top - End - #230
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2005

    Default Re: Simple RAW for 5e 4: Smackdown v. RAW

    Quote Originally Posted by Dalebert View Post
    Q84 Do you have to decide to empower before you roll or can you decide after rolling a bunch of 1s and 2s?
    A84 "When you roll damage for a spell, you can spend 1 sorcery point to reroll a number of the damage dice...". Since you can't reroll dice that haven't been rolled yet, it makes no sense to use Empowered Spell before you roll damage.


    Powers &8^]
    Last edited by LtPowers; 2018-09-20 at 10:36 AM.

  21. - Top - End - #231
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    SwashbucklerGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Simple RAW for 5e 4: Smackdown v. RAW

    Q85 I am playing as an Abjurer Wizard character with the Arcane Ward feature. A Wraith monster attacks me with its Life Drain and hits, but the damage dealt doesn't hurt me, just the Arcane Ward. What happens with the Life Drain? Does the health reduction go through the ward and hit me? Does the ward lose maximum hit points? Or is there no loss of maximum hit points, but just damage dealt?

  22. - Top - End - #232
    Banned
     
    Planetar

    Join Date
    Mar 2018

    Default Re: Simple RAW for 5e 4: Smackdown v. RAW

    Quote Originally Posted by Archeoaevis View Post
    Q85 I am playing as an Abjurer Wizard character with the Arcane Ward feature. A Wraith monster attacks me with its Life Drain and hits, but the damage dealt doesn't hurt me, just the Arcane Ward. What happens with the Life Drain? Does the health reduction go through the ward and hit me? Does the ward lose maximum hit points? Or is there no loss of maximum hit points, but just damage dealt?
    A85 You only reduce your hit points by the damage taken by a wraith's Life Drain, but the ward takes damage 'instead', with damage done to the Abjurer only if the Ward is not enough to take all the damage dealt.

  23. - Top - End - #233
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    SwashbucklerGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Simple RAW for 5e 4: Smackdown v. RAW

    Quote Originally Posted by Kadesh View Post
    A85 You only reduce your hit points by the damage taken by a wraith's Life Drain, but the ward takes damage 'instead', with damage done to the Abjurer only if the Ward is not enough to take all the damage dealt.
    I know that the damage is dealt to the Arcane Ward without going over to the Abjurer. My question is what happens to the reduction in maximum hit points.

  24. - Top - End - #234
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Erys's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2016

    Default Re: Simple RAW for 5e 4: Smackdown v. RAW

    Quote Originally Posted by Archeoaevis View Post
    I know that the damage is dealt to the Arcane Ward without going over to the Abjurer. My question is what happens to the reduction in maximum hit points.
    Edit to add a little more clarity:
    R85 Your max hitpoints can only be reduced if you actually take damage.

    The Wrath's Life Drain forces a Con Save if it damages the Wizard. Damage to the ward does not force a savings throw and the wards max HP cannot be permanently reduced. Only if the Wrath can overcome the Arcane Ward does the Wizard face the threat of permanent* drain.

    *Permanent until a long rest.
    Last edited by Erys; 2018-09-22 at 06:13 PM.

  25. - Top - End - #235
    Banned
     
    Planetar

    Join Date
    Mar 2018

    Default Re: Simple RAW for 5e 4: Smackdown v. RAW

    Quote Originally Posted by Archeoaevis View Post
    I know that the damage is dealt to the Arcane Ward without going over to the Abjurer. My question is what happens to the reduction in maximum hit points.
    Apologies I assumed it was clear from the wording. If you fail a Con save you reduce your Max HP by the amount of damage taken. If that damage is reduced, such as through the Arcane Ward class feature, or the Bladesingers Song of Defense, then failing the Con Save means you take a reduced amount of damage. If that damage is reduced to 0, then failing the Con Save reduces the amount of HP reduction to 0.
    Last edited by Kadesh; 2018-09-23 at 02:34 AM.

  26. - Top - End - #236
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Millstone85's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Simple RAW for 5e 4: Smackdown v. RAW

    Q86 As a kensei, can I spend 2 ki points on a single hit to make it both a deft strike and a stunning strike?

  27. - Top - End - #237
    Banned
     
    Planetar

    Join Date
    Mar 2018

    Default Re: Simple RAW for 5e 4: Smackdown v. RAW

    Quote Originally Posted by Millstone85 View Post
    Q86 As a kensei, can I spend 2 ki points on a single hit to make it both a deft strike and a stunning strike?
    A86
    Yes. Letters.

  28. - Top - End - #238
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Millstone85's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Simple RAW for 5e 4: Smackdown v. RAW

    Quote Originally Posted by Kadesh View Post
    A86
    Yes. Letters.
    Nice! Letters.

  29. - Top - End - #239
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    DwarfFighterGuy

    Join Date
    Jan 2016

    Default Re: Simple RAW for 5e 4: Smackdown v. RAW

    Q87

    With two weapon fighting, can you make your off hand attack (bonus action) before, or in between your main hand attacks?

  30. - Top - End - #240
    Banned
     
    Planetar

    Join Date
    Mar 2018

    Default Re: Simple RAW for 5e 4: Smackdown v. RAW

    Quote Originally Posted by Sno View Post
    Q87

    With two weapon fighting, can you make your off hand attack (bonus action) before, or in between your main hand attacks?
    After.
    - I've clarified that bonus action abilities (not just Shield Master) mean it when they say you must do X to do Y. Ignore the old ruling that stated otherwise. #DnD
    https://twitter.com/JeremyECrawford/...12448477749248

    This is a poorly written rule, however, and reliant on Tweets like these to back that up. Please check with DM before.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •