New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 51 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Simple RAW for 5e 4: Smackdown v. RAW

Q 88
    Is there a strict definition of 'line of sight'? If my character is blinded, does that mean that he immediately loses line of sight to his surroundings? Thank you in advance.
    Last edited by Corran; 2018-09-23 at 10:30 AM.
    Hacks!

2. - Top - End - #242
    Titan in the Playground

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    Q 88
    Is there a strict definition of 'line of sight'? If my character is blinded, does that mean that he immediately loses line of sight to his surroundings? Thank you in advance.
    A 88
    Line of sight is not a defined term. Spells and abilities that require sight (which is not all of them) are phrased as "a ____ that you see". So being blinded makes any such ability unavailable for the duration.
    Dawn of Hope: a 5e setting. http://wiki.admiralbenbo.org
    Rogue Equivalent Damage calculator, now prettier and more configurable!
    5e Monster Data Sheet--vital statistics for all 693 MM, Volo's, and now MToF monsters: Updated!
    NIH system 5e fork, very much WIP. Base github repo.
    NIH System PDF Up to date main-branch build version.

3. - Top - End - #243
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixPhyre View Post
    A 88
    Line of sight is not a defined term. Spells and abilities that require sight (which is not all of them) are phrased as "a ____ that you see". So being blinded makes any such ability unavailable for the duration.
    I apologize for the follow up, if this has to be a new question I can edit it.
    To be more specific, I was wandering how the spells fear and blindness combine against the same enemy, assuming both hit said enemy. Does the frightened enemy gets to make a save because 'he ended his move in a location where it has no line of sight to me' because he is blinded?
    Hacks!

4. - Top - End - #244
    Banned

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    I apologize for the follow up, if this has to be a new question I can edit it.
    To be more specific, I was wandering how the spells fear and blindness combine against the same enemy, assuming both hit said enemy. Does the frightened enemy gets to make a save because 'he ended his move in a location where it has no line of sight to me' because he is blinded?
    The only requirement is that someone cannot see the target. If the circumstances dictate that you cannot see a creature, then of course, you cannot see a creature. A Creature without Darkvision can see the source of Fear during daylight and dimlight, but in heavily obscured circumstances, such as Darkness, or Cloudkill, they are blinded and thus cannot see as effectively as if there was a brick wall in the way. Should said character without darkvision later pick up the Devil's Sight invocation, they would no longer be able to use Darkness to blind themselves.

In addition to all of this, most creatures with a Gaze attack like the Medusa, or the Umber Hulk specify in the the ability to avert their eyes at the start of their turn, preventing them from seeing the creature. It is reasonably within the RAW that you averting your gaze does not have to happen against these monsters only, but merely that there is largely little benefit in doing so by voluntarily blinding one-self.
    Last edited by Kadesh; 2018-09-24 at 03:11 PM.

5. - Top - End - #245
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q89: Hex Warrior & Improved Pact Weapon

Quote Originally Posted by Hexblade
    Hex Warrior

At 1st level, you acquire the training necessary to effectively arm yourself for battle. You gain proficiency with medium armor, shields, and martial weapons.

The influence of your patron also allows you to mystically channel your will through a particular weapon. Whenever you finish a long rest, you can touch one weapon that you are proficient with and that lacks the two-handed property. When you attack with that weapon, you can use your Charisma modifier, instead of Strength or Dexterity, for the attack and damage rolls. This benefit lasts until you finish a long rest. If you later gain the Pact of the Blade feature, this benefit extends to every pact weapon you conjure with that feature, no matter the weapon’s type.
    Question is this, I know that the Hex Warrior can be applied to any weapon summoned into existance by Pact Weapon and later Improved Pact Weapon, which opens up 2-handed weapons as per Sage Advice.

However, does this also apply to magic weapons, i.e. a +2, can be made into a pact weapon by ritual.

I ask this because, although not initally summoned into existance, once riyualised into a pact weapon it can be conjured away and back.

6. - Top - End - #246
    Banned

Planetar

A89
    Yes.

Letters

7. - Top - End - #247
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q90 can you change your prepared spells DURING a long rest? Or do you need to spend time after the 8 hours? (The rules says when you finish a long rest you can change the list of prepared spells)

8. - Top - End - #248
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Myth27 View Post
    Q90 can you change your prepared spells DURING a long rest? Or do you need to spend time after the 8 hours? (The rules says when you finish a long rest you can change the list of prepared spells)
    A90 You have to finish the long rest before you can change your spell list. It cannot be done during the long rest.

9. - Top - End - #249
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q91 - Multiple Pact Weapons

You can use your action to create a pact weapon in your empty hand. You can choose the form that this melee weapon takes each time you create it (see chapter 5 for weapon options). You are proficient with it while you wield it. This weapon counts as magical for the purpose of overcoming resistance and immunity to nonmagical attacks and damage.

Your pact weapon disappears if it is more than 5 feet away from you for 1 minute or more. It also disappears if you use this feature again, if you dismiss the weapon (no action required), or if you die.

You can transform one magic weapon into your pact weapon by performing a special ritual while you hold the weapon. You perform the ritual over the course of 1 hour, which can be done during a short rest. You can then dismiss the weapon, shunting it into an extradimensional space, and it appears whenever you create your pact weapon thereafter. You can’t affect an artifact or a sentient weapon in this way. The weapon ceases being your pact weapon if you die, if you perform the 1-hour ritual on a different weapon, or if you use a 1-hour ritual to break your bond to it. The weapon appears at your feet if it is in the extradimensional space when the bond breaks.
    If I am reading this correctly, by simply creating a pact weapon, you get to choose it's form every time.

You can only transform one magic weapon into a pact at a time

Question - I'm expecting the answer to be no, but....

If you have transformed a magic weapon into your pact weapon, can you still summon other, for want of a better word "mundane", pact weapons in a different form, minus the magical traits?

Or are you restricted to summoning only the weapon you transformed?

10. - Top - End - #250
    Banned

Planetar

A91
    Wording can be argued easily either way. Ask your DM.

Edit: see below, am in agreement, missed 'thereafter'
    Last edited by Kadesh; 2018-09-25 at 09:23 AM.

11. - Top - End - #251
    Ogre in the Playground

A91

I'm going to disagree that the wording is ambiguous. The relevant line is "it appears whenever you create your pact weapon thereafter". That means, whenever you create your pact weapon, it's the magic weapon you transformed. No option for other weapons.

Powers &8^]

12. - Top - End - #252
    Ogre in the Playground

Q92:

Does a known spell count as "prepared" for purposes of being able to scribe it into a spellbook?

Powers &8^]

13. - Top - End - #253
    Banned

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by LtPowers View Post
    Q92:

Does a known spell count as "prepared" for purposes of being able to scribe it into a spellbook?

Powers &8^]
    No. Prepared and Known spells are two seperate things in 5e. Can I ask further as to why you are asking as no single class both knows and prepares spells, and I might be able to provide a more accurate answer.

14. - Top - End - #254
    Barbarian in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Q92:

I would say "yes" based upon the rules from "Replacing the Book" on Page 114 of the PHB, specifically regarding how if your spellbook is lost/stolen/destroyed, you can scribe your spells into a fresh book from memory. Given how "A wizard scroll of detect magic" is NOT a thing, while "a scroll of detect magic" IS, I would argue that regardless of the source, the "same" spell is the same, and qualifies the same way to be transcribed into the book, regardless of where you "originally knew" the spell from.

How this "interacts" with things like known spells from another class that overlaps with the Wizard spell list is somewhat ambiguous. Could you bypass the "2 spells per level" thing that way via spells from a deity (cleric/druid lists) or from "just known" like sorc? And then swap out the spells at a later day (deities) or level (sorc and others)? I'd say you could. If you're going to multiclass that hard just to bypass that requirement, I think you're giving up a lot more, but definitely seems like an "ask your DM" question.

After writing all of that, I'd say in the end, it's "ask your DM, RAW isn't clear."

15. - Top - End - #255
    Banned

Planetar

Druids, Clerics and Wizards do not 'know' their spells. There is no mention of 'known' anywhere within their entries, neither does the replacing your spellbook rules. Your spells are still prepared, even if you can't create new ones.

Kmowing how to cast the spell is different that the 'Spells Known' mechanic.

16. - Top - End - #256
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kadesh View Post
    No. Prepared and Known spells are two seperate things in 5e. Can I ask further as to why you are asking as no single class both knows and prepares spells, and I might be able to provide a more accurate answer.
    R92

I'm thinking of a Wizard multiclassed with a class that learns spells (Bard, Sorcerer, Arcane Trickster, etc.). Especially the Arcane Trickster, which explicitly uses the same spell list as the Wizard does.

Powers &8^]

17. - Top - End - #257
    Banned

Planetar

R92

I'm thinking of a Wizard multiclassed with a class that learns spells (Bard, Sorcerer, Arcane Trickster, etc.). Especially the Arcane Trickster, which explicitly uses the same spell list as the Wizard does.

Powers &8^]
    A92 This appears to be a gap in the rules about Spells Knowns that are on the Wizard list, but the rules make no mention of being known when Scribed into a book, but specifically states Prepared.

18. - Top - End - #258
    Titan in the Playground

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by Kadesh View Post
    A92 This appears to be a gap in the rules about Spells Knowns that are on the Wizard list, but the rules make no mention of being known when Scribed into a book, but specifically states Prepared.
    You scribe, prepare, and learn spells as if you are single-classed. So knowing spells from another class is irrelevant for the wizard rules.
    Dawn of Hope: a 5e setting. http://wiki.admiralbenbo.org
    Rogue Equivalent Damage calculator, now prettier and more configurable!
    5e Monster Data Sheet--vital statistics for all 693 MM, Volo's, and now MToF monsters: Updated!
    NIH system 5e fork, very much WIP. Base github repo.
    NIH System PDF Up to date main-branch build version.

19. - Top - End - #259
    Troll in the Playground

Re: A 92

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixPhyre View Post
    You scribe, prepare, and learn spells as if you are single-classed. So knowing spells from another class is irrelevant for the wizard rules.
    That really should be the thread-ender as far as the RAW, but if not and folks continue to disagree, I would suggest that this discussion deserves its own thread and is not longer a "Simple RAW' question.
    Last edited by Dalebert; 2018-09-27 at 11:31 PM.
    If you cast Dispel Magic on my Gust of Wind, does that mean you're disgusting?

In real estate, they say it's all about location, location, location. In D&D I say it's about action economy, action economy, action economy.

Crystal Mage -- a homebrewed arcane tradition

20. - Top - End - #260
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Q93

If I were to take the Dueling Fighting Style and were primarily a Sword & Board type character, but also had Tavern Brawler (really not necessary for the question to apply but anyway), and made improvised attacks with the shield, would the Dueling Fighting Style still function for the actual weapon in the other hand?

RAW (I think) it should, because regardless of its use shield is not an actual weapon; it's only used as an improvised weapon.

For reference, the fighting style says the following:
    Quote Originally Posted by Fighting Style: Dueling
    When you are wielding a melee weapon in one hand and no other weapons, you gain a +2 bonus to damage rolls with that weapon.
    Last edited by Arkhios; 2018-10-02 at 01:18 AM.
    Please be mindful of what you say in public; sadly not all can handle sarcasm or The Internet Credibility.
    My Homebrew:
    Base Class: Warlord | Roguish Archetype: Inquisitor | Roguish Archetype: Thug | Primal Path: Rage Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Anon von Zilch View Post
    Words actually mean things, people!

Ongoing game & character:
    Sajan Uttam, human Monk 6/Fist of Irori 3 (Legacy of Fire)

D&D/Pathfinder CV of sorts
    3.0 since 2002
    3.5 since 2003
    4e since 2008
    Pathfinder 1e since 2008
    5e since 2014

21. - Top - End - #261
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Arkhios View Post
    Q93

If I were to take the Dueling Fighting Style and were primarily a Sword & Board type character, but also had Tavern Brawler (really not necessary for the question to apply but anyway), and made improvised attacks with the shield, would the Dueling Fighting Style still function for the actual weapon in the other hand?

RAW (I think) it should, because regardless of its use shield is not an actual weapon; it's only used as an improvised weapon.

For reference, the fighting style says the following:
    A93 I believe you're correct, yes. Weapons are things listed on the Weapons table, the shield is not on that table.

22. - Top - End - #262
    Ogre in the Playground

A93

I believe Sage Advice has stated that an improvised weapon counts as a weapon only for the duration of the attack. As soon as the attack is resolved, it's no longer a weapon.

Powers &8^]

23. - Top - End - #263
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Q94

If you have pact magic from the warlock class, and pick magic initiate feat with a class that got say absorb elements, would you then be able to cast it with your pact magic spell slots?

24. - Top - End - #264
    Banned

Planetar

a94
    No. Letters.

25. - Top - End - #265
    Orc in the Playground

Q95 Does speed 0 while flying means falling? specifically I would like to know what happens if a wizard with the fly spell gets the restrained condition while in the air, does he fall?

26. - Top - End - #266
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Red Bear View Post
    Q95 Does speed 0 while flying means falling? specifically I would like to know what happens if a wizard with the fly spell gets the restrained condition while in the air, does he fall?
    A95 Player's Handbook, page 191:
    If a flying creature is knocked prone, has its speed reduced to 0, or is otherwise deprived of the ability to move, the creature falls, unless it has the ability to hover or it is being held aloft by magic, such as by the fly spell.

27. - Top - End - #267
    Orc in the Playground

Q96 Web spell says it needs to be anchored to 2 solid masses, do these masses have to be within the spell area or can they be far away?

28. - Top - End - #268
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Red Bear View Post
    Q96 Web spell says it needs to be anchored to 2 solid masses, do these masses have to be within the spell area or can they be far away?
    A96 The anchors have to be within the spells area at time of casting. Conversely you can always just layer the spell if no anchors are available.
    Quote Originally Posted by kamap View Post
    Also don't try to bring logic into the argument it has left the building ages ago since magic made its appearance.

29. - Top - End - #269
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

Q 97 Which part of which book describes terrain features, such as light vs dense forests? I'm having a hard time finding that.
    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    But as we've agreed, sometimes the real power was the friends we made along the way, including the DM. I wish I could go on more articulate rants about how I'm grateful for DMs putting in the effort on a hard job even when it isn't perfect.

30. - Top - End - #270
    Orc in the Playground

A97 DMG around page 106