New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Psionic Anti-Crime Squad II: Mind Games [IC]

"Ian, you don't need skill to deal with them. You already know them!" ...that sounded a lot more insulting than it did in her head. Leolin takes a deep breath and tries to wrap her head around the weird situation that we've all somehow been dumped into. "Look. We're not fighting anyone. We're not putting them under arrest, or stalking them, or brain-worming them into doing something they don't want. We're talking to them about how they feel and what they're doing, because we're their friends, and if we don't we might never see them again. If they try to run, or push past you or blow you off or just kind of give you that feeling that you need to draw your sword, don't. Just..."

Ugh, being the leader is hard.

"OK, tell them that we're all meeting up at the Rooster and Orbs, and that the Chief doesn't know about it, which is absolutely true because I'm arranging it right now without her permission. Even if it's just to say goodbye. OK?"

Okay. Whew.

"You're probably right about the stables. There's an argument to be made for just camping out a team at each of them and just waiting for someone to show up, but... wait, if you were planning to load up a horse before leaving, wouldn't you want to get the horse first, and just load it up at the supply place so you don't have to carry it as far?"

Stupid barbarian ignorance. She actually has no idea how normal people gear up to travel. Ah well. It's probably a moot point anyway.
    Last edited by Dr.Gunsforhands; 2019-03-10 at 01:54 AM.

2. - Top - End - #272
    Barbarian in the Playground

Planetar

At the briefing

Lucky clenches his teeth upon hearing the commander's retort. "It seems not only coin, but also appreciation is on a budget in the Watch. You would believe otherwise, given that it doesn't cost a copper. Anyway, we should be on our way..." He leaves without waiting for the commander to reply.

He catches up with Leolin. "Well, we are prohibited from leaving. Unless the Watch consents, it would be seen as desertion. I was pretty worried about this when we first arrived at the Watch, remember?" He sighs. "Still, this doesn't explain why none of our friends let us know about their plan, or their sudden decision to leave at once. I mean, I thought I was the most likely fellow to try to leave the Watch, and there is no way I wouldn't let you guys know about it beforehand. It's very unnatural."

Silverside

Lucky is quite distracted throughout the talks. He doesn't really want to have a confrontation with his old colleagues. The fact that none have let him know about their plans bothers him deeply. He nods his head at the comments of others. "I am OK with any plan. Groups of two sound fine and we have a location for the meet up." He looks over at Ghost. "Let's check these places out, shall we? You take the lead."

3. - Top - End - #273
    Bugbear in the Playground

RogueGuy

"I'm new here but someone just make the call and tell me where you want me, unless the plan is to procrastinate until they manage to get away which, I'll be honest, isn't the worst idea I've heard today. I know you think of these people as your friends, but if we're going to split up into groups of 2 you better be careful because if they decide we're not friends we could be in trouble. Whatever we're gonna do, let's do it." Theo taps his foot impatiently and glances around, doing as best he can to look inconspicuous.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Wherever I end up Theo will gather info if it's a reasonable place to do so, so whenever that happens I got a 19 for it including the minus 5 to the roll.

4. - Top - End - #274
    Titan in the Playground

Leo and Minnie - 8:10 - Wall in the Hole

The duo finds the dingy tavern easily enough, and true to their plan, Mouserat slinks in and scouts the place before Leo comes into sight. This watering hole seems to be already filling up due to the nature of the hour, though there is still a few empty places that one could sit if one would really want to. Mouse fails to notice any sign of the easily spottable Andrei, nor any other armed group of mercenary look-alikes. As Leo joins the petite ex-thief, some of the less-esteemed drinkers turn on their stools to have a better look at the two, probably just a few drinks away from registering them as "two lone women".

Lucky & Ghost - 8:10 - Brothers Flint

The duo, led by Ghost, arrive to find the barnhouse practically closed. The various animals are cooped up in their places for the night, but two strikingly similar young fellows seem to be wandering around, doing the last bit of chores on the premises before locking up the place for good. At first they seem occupied with their jobs, but then one of them -- a tall, blond, well-built young man spots Ghost and turns to face him.

"G'even, neighbor. What can I help you with?" The man seems amicable enough, despite it being closing hours.

Ian & Theo - 8:10 - North Star

Theophilus, using his Talent for an almost perfect disguise, leads Ian into the North Star caravanserai. The place, built around a small courtyard, seems large enough to house a few caravan full of people at the same time and still have a seat or two open at their main hall for two people to have a drink. Theo can spot a couple of merchants with a few caravan guards around one table, downing their cups. The next table belongs to a trader and his family, and the next, to some workers probably hauling some goods. The rest of the tables also follow suit, more or less.

8:10 to 8:40

As Theo orders a drink and starts to ask around the place, he stitches together bits and pieces of information that could be relevant to the search. One man claims to having seen a giant of a man talking to someone near the local barnhouse, while a caravan guard tells of an armed group heading for the Rooster and Orbs. "They seemed like trouble to me," he adds.
    Last edited by Cespenar; 2019-03-12 at 08:36 PM.

5. - Top - End - #275
    Ettin in the Playground

8:00

She nods in assent to Lucky's remarks, especially at the end. "I know, right? You're the last person who'd call them out for desertion, so you'd think they'd at least talk to you. Whatever big secret is making them bug out, we need to know."

8:10

"Huh, yeah, I don't see anyone either... Hey!" Leolin flags down the barkeep. "Who would we want to talk to if we were gearing up to get out of town?"
    Last edited by Dr.Gunsforhands; 2019-03-15 at 02:55 AM.

6. - Top - End - #276
    Firbolg in the Playground

Mouserat tries her best to look casual, but her eyes instinctively dart around the room. She is just about to tell the larger woman this place is a bust when she feels a few sets of eyeballs settling on them; being watched had never been a nice feeling to Mouse. She could feel the gazes settling on her skin, and it felt like a wet sweater on a cold day--clinging, chilly, and wrong. She's about to tug on Leolin's sleeve as the sign to leave when...

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Gunsforhands View Post
    "Huh, yeah, I don't see anyone either... Hey!" Leolin flags down the barkeep. "Who would we want to talk to if we were gearing up to get out of town?"
    Mouserat pulls up next to Leolin and scampers up the barstool, her nose twitching just like a tiny mouse's. "Listen, I told you," she interrupts Leolin's questioning, "if he doesn't stick around he's not the man for you. There are plenty of fish in the sea, so let's get outta here."

She smiles at Leolin, but her eyes dart pointedly towards the door. Hopefully the larger woman can pick up on the alibi and subtext that spending more time here would be a waste of valuable time. Also hopefully, the bartender wouldn't be interested in "girl talk" and would divert suspicion from two ladies asking around about a group leaving town.

Bluff - (1d20+4)[8]
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaz View Post
    Ponies, the Kim Karsdashian of GITP.
    This is what happens when they let me DM:
    Beyond the Horizon IC / OOC
    A Time to Die: Alpha IC / Bravo IC / OOC

7. - Top - End - #277

RogueGuy

Theo head back over to Ian after pumping the room for information.

"I got a couple useful bits of intel from this group. Apparently there was a group of armed men and women heading for the Rooster and Orbs tavern, we should probably check that next. Are any of the people we're looking for particularly large? One of the men at the bar saw a man large enough to be memorable conducting some business near the barn." Theo scans to room surreptitiously, looking for anyone who might have been spooked by his questioning.
    Spoiler: ooc
    Show

Rolling spot to see if there's anyone here who seems spooked (1d20+9)[23]

8. - Top - End - #278
    Ogre in the Playground

Ian scans the area before giving Theo an answer.
    "Unfortunately, yes. There was another, Andrei the Giant, who had powers similar to Ms. Leolin. I'm not sure about the group of men and women. Almost all of the ones we are looking for were men. It's likely it was another mercenary group. My only concern is that they might have attached themselves to a mercenary group filled with Talented. However, it's best that we follow who we can right now instead of risking a goose chase."
    Ian wasn't taking much effort to hide besides allowing Theo to head in first and following soon after.
    "We'll want to check the barn right away. At the very least, we can figure out where they are headed next."

Show
    Spot Check:(1d20+6)[19]
    Hide: (1d20+2)[6]
    Already took penalties and bonuses regarding the deserters into account. Just in case those checks are needed for something else.
    Last edited by Tsunamiatunzen1; 2019-03-15 at 02:48 AM.
    Invincibility lies in the defense. The possibility of victory is in the attack.
    - Diamond Sword

Featured Homebrews:
    (SF) bombs and Hangar Support
    The Forge (Crafting System)

Extended Homebrew Sig

Dice (feel free to use them!):
    Spoiler
    Show
    [roll]1d20+[/roll]
    [roll]1d6[/roll]
    [rollv]3d6[/rollv]
    [roll]4d6b3[/roll]

"I want you dead enough to turn into a handbag and I want you dead enought to turn into a toaster!"
    -Unknown XCOM Commander

9. - Top - End - #279
    Ettin in the Playground

"Huh? Oh, yeah, I guess."

Leolin's confused, but there's no interpretation of Mouserat's weirdness that doesn't read as her wanting to get out of here. She takes her outside, and after a brief conversation clarifying their plan, they move on to the next place in a more rapid-fire fashion.

10. - Top - End - #280
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Everyone
    Show
    In social or investigative situations like this, I'll make the rolls in secret for you. So you can instead just write something like "Hide +7" from now on.

Leo and Minnie - 8:10 - Wall in the Hole

The barkeep, a rough, seen-it-all kind of guy, gestures to his stocks. "You're already here. What do I give ya? Jerky, tacks, some hard cheese? You lookin' for horses too?"

It's unclear that he has processed or chose to ignore Mouserat's bit, since he seems to show little emotion on his face.

Ian & Theo - 8:40 - North Star

Theo eyes the room carefully, and though he receives some stares back from the patrons, he doesn't feel like anyone is personally spooked. The caravan guard mentioned before even waves to invite him for a drink at their table as Theo's gaze moves that way.

Spoiler: Ian & Theo
    Show
    Do you move on?

11. - Top - End - #281

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Tsunamiatunzen1 View Post
    Ian scans the area before giving Theo an answer.
    "Unfortunately, yes. There was another, Andrei the Giant, who had powers similar to Ms. Leolin. I'm not sure about the group of men and women. Almost all of the ones we are looking for were men. It's likely it was another mercenary group. My only concern is that they might have attached themselves to a mercenary group filled with Talented. However, it's best that we follow who we can right now instead of risking a goose chase."
    Ian wasn't taking much effort to hide besides allowing Theo to head in first and following soon after.
    "We'll want to check the barn right away. At the very least, we can figure out where they are headed next."

Show
    Spot Check:[roll0]
    Hide: [roll1]
    Already took penalties and bonuses regarding the deserters into account. Just in case those checks are needed for something else.
    "Actually, that was just me making an egalitarian assumption, the person I got the info from didn't actually mention genders, so I wouldn't discount the possibility that those were the people we're looking for." Theo shrugs, sheepishly. He gives a friendly wave to the caravan guard before mouthing "I've got to go" at him. He then looks to Ian and makes to head for the door.

"So where to, Barn or Rooster?"

12. - Top - End - #282
    Ogre in the Playground

Ian shakes his head in annoyance at the revelation.
    "If they were to make a move right now, the barn. Otherwise, skipping to the Rooster would be the correct decision. As it is, I believe the barn is our best course of action since we have little idea of who went where. Come, we have little time."
    With that, he headed to the North Star's barn.
    - Diamond Sword

Featured Homebrews:

Extended Homebrew Sig

Spoiler
    Show
    [roll]1d20+[/roll]
    [roll]1d6[/roll]
    [rollv]3d6[/rollv]
    [roll]4d6b3[/roll]

"I want you dead enough to turn into a handbag and I want you dead enought to turn into a toaster!"
    -Unknown XCOM Commander

13. - Top - End - #283

Planetar

Lucky comes forward and joins Ghost. "And good evenin' to you, pal. A beautiful night, isn't it? We are looking for our friends. The plan was to leave the city tonight. Have you seen them?" He describes his friends.

14. - Top - End - #284
    Titan in the Playground

At first Lucky's descriptions seem like just words floating by to the overworked-looking young man, but then his eyes glint with recognition.

"Ah, yup, that big fella? He was here alright, with two other friends. About half an hour ago, maybe one hour? They bought our strongest pack horse, Bill, and two other ones, and set off. They didn't haggle much either, so I assumed they were a rich bunch, all of them."

Then, as an afterthought, he adds. "I can git you some horses as well, if you're trying to catch up to them."

Ian & Theo - 8:40 - North Star Stables

Ian and Theo easily find the caravanserai's stable in the courtyard, tended by a lone older man. He squints and gives them a once-over, and then slightly shakes his head. "I don't remember you, so you must be new. Here to drop your horses?"

If asked about the big man, the old man shakes his head again, this time stronger. "Naah, I haven't seen anyone like that today. Hrm. If they said the 'local barnhouse', though, I reckon it could also be the Brothers Flints' place. Here we just care for the beasts of our customers, but theirs is a proper barnhouse alright."

15. - Top - End - #285
    Ogre in the Playground

Ian was a bit disappointed as to the lack of information on Andrei but thanks the man.
    "I was hoping to talk to him alone, but now I believe we need to meet with the others instead."
    With that, he begins to move on to the Rooster and Orbs.

Show
    On the off-chance he's holding out, passive Sense Motive: +6
    Last edited by Tsunamiatunzen1; 2019-03-22 at 02:56 PM.
    - Diamond Sword

Featured Homebrews:

Extended Homebrew Sig

Spoiler
    Show
    [roll]1d20+[/roll]
    [roll]1d6[/roll]
    [rollv]3d6[/rollv]
    [roll]4d6b3[/roll]

-Unknown XCOM Commander

16. - Top - End - #286

RogueGuy

Theo nods at the man and then moves to follow Ian.

Show
    Just before arriving at the next location, Theo will activate Thicken Skin for a +3 bonus to AC and Animal Affinity for a +4 bonus to strength.

17. - Top - End - #287

Planetar

Lucky is happy to hear that Andrei had been through here. It looked like they already handled the transportation issue, though. "Oh, they already bought the horses? I guess we need to catch up." Lucky considers whether he should try buying a horse. Could he bill it to the City Watch? "Well, now that I know you charged a high price when my friends were buying, would you consider to give me a fairer price?"

18. - Top - End - #288
    Titan in the Playground

Leo and Minnie - 8:20 - Silken Cloud

As the duo arrives at their next destination, the Silken Cloud Inn, it's obvious that the atmosphere will be a bit different, even from just the facade of the three-story, cleanly maintained building. Minnie presumably enters the premises first, and walks past a couple of bodyguards just to notice a dimly-lit, cozy looking entrance, tended by a well-dressed middle aged lady. The hall continues to a lounge, where some clinks of glass and laughter could be heard.

"Ah, welcome?" the woman greets Minnie, momentarily surprised as she probably didn't fit the general description. "A room for the night?"

As Leolin follows from afar, a couple of young merchants brush past her, laughing and joking, and head for the inn as well.

The young man looks a bit offended at the implication that he gave the others an unfair price. He crosses his arms.

"Well, I didn't mean I gave them a bad deal, now. The big man got our strongest horse, so that costed a bit more, aye. But the rest, it's the same price I give you now, g'sir. 25 crowns."

Lucky's tingling senses don't warn him against any false intentions on the man's part, but he can reflect that it would presumably be a hard attempt to track those three, under the almost disappearing sun. It wouldn't be impossible, but would depend on a few factors like if they are all together, using the main roads, galloping, or a combination of those.

Also, going after them would presumably cost him enough time that he wouldn't have anything to do with the rest of the team.

Ian & Theo - 8:40 - North Star Inn

As Ian heads for the Rooster's direction, the old man calls from behind, pointing at the opposite direction.

"Nah, you're going the wrong way if you wanna go the Flints' place, now. Their barnhouse is that-a way."

Ian doesn't feel anything off with the man -- he genuinely seems to be giving you directions.

19. - Top - End - #289
    Ettin in the Playground

Leolin stays outside until Minnie gives her a signal this time. She does this because she is a good leader who listens to her teammates. Because she does listen to her teammates, if only they would freaking open up to her instead of hiding from her and skipping out just like that. Grr.
    Last edited by Dr.Gunsforhands; 2019-03-31 at 09:34 PM.

20. - Top - End - #290

Planetar

Lucky whistles. "25 crowns, huh? Andrei must have struck a gold vein. Unfortunately that's a tad too steep for me. Let me get back to you after I borrow some coin from my evidently richer-than-they-look pals." He looks at the sky to see how much time has passed and shakes his head. "Would you be kind enough to tell my friends Lucky is looking for them if they return? I will be at the Rooster and Orbs tonight."

If Ghost agrees, the duo thank the brothers and move on to the next target -- Greener Grass.

21. - Top - End - #291
    Titan in the Playground

Rooster and Orbs - 8:50

As per Leolin's simple plan, the squad reconstitutes itself roughly around 8:50 PM in front of the Rooster and Orbs tavern. It seems like a raucous place -- with angry shouts as well as merry songs emanating outside of its walls, and there are even several people right outside the tavern door itself, enjoying a drink or a silent talk while still in the vicinity of the fun. The place looks like it hasn't yet devolved into a classic honest-to-gods tavern brawl in there, but that may still be in the cards.

The group can share what they have found for a moment, or just rush in straight. Aside from some rumors, no one from the squad seems to have encountered the targets so far.
    Last edited by Cespenar; 2019-04-08 at 01:54 PM.

22. - Top - End - #292
    Ogre in the Playground

Ian thanked the old man before he continued to the Rooster and Orbs.
    "Thank you for your help, but our time is short since we were hoping to catch him here."

Rooster and Orbs
    Ian wasn't terribly interested in going inside, it was far too rowdy and it was all too likely that someone's mug could come flying at him and he'd unconsciously bat it away with his abilities.
    Aside from the lack of any sightings, Ian had little to report to the others.

Show
    Ian is waiting outside.
    Spot: +2 (base)
    - Diamond Sword

Featured Homebrews:

Extended Homebrew Sig

Spoiler
    Show
    [roll]1d20+[/roll]
    [roll]1d6[/roll]
    [rollv]3d6[/rollv]
    [roll]4d6b3[/roll]

-Unknown XCOM Commander

23. - Top - End - #293
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler: Spot Checks
    Show
    Watching while Minnie is subtly asking around: (1d20)[17]+Situational bonuses
    Just Going to the Rooster: (1d20)[12]+Situational bonuses

Sighing in disappointment with her lack of results so far, Leolin scans the crowd outside and then peeks into the rooster to see if anyone else is here yet.

24. - Top - End - #294

Planetar

Lucky and Ghost head to the Rooster and Orbs after a fruitless search. Lucky does not do anything to hide his presence and greets the rest of the group. "Did you find anything? We learned that Andrei purchased some horses at Brothers Flint, and that he didn't negotiate a good price because they were in a rush. We told the brothers to let our friends know that we were meeting here. Hopefully they got the message." He scans the scenery. "Let's just get in and wait for them if there are no objections?"

25. - Top - End - #295
    Titan in the Playground

Rooster and Orbs

Ian and Leo give the people outside a once-over, but no one familiar pops out. As Leo peers through the window, she realizes that she can barely see through the murky glass, and her eyes weren't the sharpest to begin with anyway.

If Lucky and Leolin lead the group through the door, they see that the premises are indeed as chaotic as it sounded from the outside. All around, more than two dozen men look like they are being constantly supplied with ale and food by just a couple of hard-working barmaids. As they barely dodge a sweeping hand of a close-by patron, Lucky and Leo both notice far away that a table full of people are in the middle of a hasty exodus through the kitchen door. Some of them look familiar, even through the haze and crowd.

Ian, on the other hand, barely registers a disappearing "ping" on his telekinetic field as Leo and Lucky enter through the door. It feels like someone must have left his sight around the corner of the tavern, though his ordinary eyes didn't pick up anything.
    Last edited by Cespenar; 2019-04-12 at 03:32 PM.

26. - Top - End - #296
    Ettin in the Playground

"The kitchen!" Leolin points out as she and Ian enter. She shouts one syllable trying to get their attention, but the ambient noise of the tavern drowns her out. "You go after them, I'll try to block the exit!"

She turns around and runs to what must be the kitchen side of the building to head off her fleeing comrades, concentrating on her relatively new speed powers to get there quickly. It seems easier than literally pushing through the crowd.
    Last edited by Dr.Gunsforhands; 2019-04-13 at 01:45 AM.

27. - Top - End - #297

Planetar

Lucky nods and starts rushing through the crowd towards his friends. He shouts over the crowd: "Hey! Won't you guys at least say farewell to your former comrades? It's quite rude."

28. - Top - End - #298
    Titan in the Playground

While Lucky bobs and weaves through the crowd dextrously, Leolin takes the long route and makes it short with her Talent-pumped legs. They both arrive at the same scene just outside the back entrance of the tavern: a bunch of people hurriedly fumbling with the various accessories of a packed horse. As they see Lucky and Leo, they all freeze mid-movement as if students caught by a teacher.

The duo's eyes pick up Bart, Thraskias, Nathanial, Moira, one of de Renlon's bodyguards that Leo recognizes as Strongarm, one vaguely familiar man, and finally, a woman that none of you have seen before. The lattermost steps in front of the group as if to protect them.

"You guys get away, I can earn you some time!"

To which, Bart and a newly appearing Jacob answer briefly but quickly, and with a tinge of embarrassment.

"No, no, these are the friends we have mentioned."

"Yeah, maybe we should hear them out."

Upon hearing that, the woman slowly lowers his defensive stance, though her eyes still seem to be watchful. The almost-ex-watchmen look at Leo and Lucky with anticipation, and a wild mixture of other feelings.
    Last edited by Cespenar; 2019-04-15 at 06:13 PM.

29. - Top - End - #299
    Ettin in the Playground

"THANK you!" Leolin says. "But... I'm going to have to hear you out first? I heard that some of you were quitting the guard, but I never heard word one of why. I don't even know what I'm supposed to be talking you out of."

She looks to Strongarm. "...you work for de Renlon, right? I mean, good on you for quitting from him. I guess that means this isn't just a guard thing."

30. - Top - End - #300
    Ogre in the Playground

Ian puffed a bit as he brought up the rear. It hadn't helped that he'd slipped on something a party-goer had just been drinking.
    "I should *huff* say! You all know very well I'm not nearly as young as I once was!"
    He took a bit of time to catch his breath and telekinetically 'feel' to see if anyone was trying to slip his notice.
    "I believe Miss Leolin is quite right in her outrage. Those of you who were at dinner with the Headmaster should know I made it quite clear I have little love for the people we work for but quite a bit more sympathy for those caught in the same situation we find ourselves in. The least you could do was give a proper farewell instead of this dramatic chase!"
    After the short chastisement, Ian turned his scrutiny on the lady who had been so willing to throw herself in harm's way.
    "I do not believe I recognize you Miss-?"
    - Diamond Sword

Featured Homebrews:

Extended Homebrew Sig

Spoiler
    Show
    [roll]1d20+[/roll]
    [roll]1d6[/roll]
    [rollv]3d6[/rollv]
    [roll]4d6b3[/roll]

-Unknown XCOM Commander