New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Shakespeare fake or real

So the debate on if Shakespeare wrote his plays is getting another kick from what I just read on Yahoo news. I've heard for awhile that he may have stole Romeo and Juliet, and it may have been based off a real world story. I know I've got a few English teachers, students, and lovers of classics of all kinds on this board so what do you think did he write them all him self, have help, or steal it all. I'm personally of the school of he wrote some, stole some and plagiarized. But then I like stuff that discredits historical figures, so I've got a basis that I fully admit.

So Shakespeare Real or Fake.

Yahoo story that sparked my interest.
    [url=http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53501]

50 Unconfirmed Rumors About 4th Ed!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Shakespeare fake or real

I'm not much of a Shakespeare fan, but I would like to point out many cultures have a Romeo and Juliet type story/myth. Just thought that might interest some.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Banned

Romeo and Juliet is drawn from other stories--something Italian, I believe, which was in turn inspired by the Tristan and Isolde myth.

Denying that Shakespeare wrote his plays is minor conspiracy-theorism, and little different from any other conspiracy theory. We've got a rather good record of his life. He wrote them, and people insisting he didn't... well, some folks think we never landed on the moon. Don't buy into it.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Banned

1. Romeo and Juliet has been done in every age. It dates back to the time of forbidden love, which is quite old.

2. Julius Caesar is loosely based on historical events (loosely). Not really stealing, there.

That's about it. Considering his physical and social aptitude (neither remarkable), I figure he had to be at least good enough to break into playwrighting before he could possibly steal, and if he was good enough for that, I also figure he was good enough to do the rest by himself.

5. - Top - End - #5

There are always going to be supposed conspiracies, but this one doesn't seem likely. Like saying that Elvis is still alive. Why bother until you have fact?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Colossus in the Playground

I think that if you intend to accuse Shakespear of stealing, you have to accuse Tolkien of the same to about the same degree. I have yet to see any convincing evidence, aside from mere speculation and conspiracy-theorism, that Willy did anything more than gather inspiration from or rewrite other stories.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Fact: Shakespeare drew inspiration from and occasionally rewrote preexisting stories.

Fact: this does not mean he stole any of the manuscripts for his plays.

8. - Top - End - #8

I think he wrote most of them and had help from some of them.
    "Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other."

-Abraham Lincoln
    Love wins.
    my blog.

9. - Top - End - #9

I always said ol' Shakespeare was a bit handy with plagiarism.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

Oh come on now...we all know that Shakespeare made a deal with an immortal anthropomorphic personification of dreams and story telling.

Willy just had to write to plays for the aforementioned immortal, and in return got all the fame and writing skill he desired.

So, yeah he wrote them himself...but he had some help.
    Masquerade Indy by Gnomish Wanderer

Quote Originally Posted by Mustiado View Post
    Still think that was an epic prank, *snip* Kudos, gentlemen.
    I was outzombied by the baby!!

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Indurain View Post
    Oh come on now...we all know that Shakespeare made a deal with an immortal anthropomorphic personification of dreams and story telling.

Willy just had to write to plays for the aforementioned immortal, and in return got all the fame and writing skill he desired.

I'm glad I wasn't the only one thinking that

I personally think he did it all himself, as far as any writer can. Which is to say, of course there was a bit of plagiarism or basis in real life. There always is. So yes, he did it all himself, with inspiration

I hate it every time someone says 'historical figure X was never really that good, he just got help and didn't do anything himself etc.' It's mainly people being jealous that somebody else was actually pretty good at something such as leading or creating a country. It's stupid
    New Avatar by Dr. Bath. Many thanks

Spoiler
    Show

Ki-Glaivemaster by Quincunx

See the real Glaivemaster

Quote Originally Posted by Tomkin View Post
    Greek Gorgons certainly did not look like big metal cows.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Yeah he didn't steal them he got inspiration.

13. - Top - End - #13

There was some kind of Romeo and Juliet story as early as Ovid's Metamorphosis, called Pyramus and Thisbe.
    Trust me, I had to translate it in an exam.
    I think the phrase rhymes with 'clucking bell'.

Lord Flashheart by Kalirush

14. - Top - End - #14
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by LCR View Post
    There was some kind of Romeo and Juliet story as early as Ovid's Metamorphosis, called Pyramus and Thisbe.
    Trust me, I had to translate it in an exam.
    The play-within-a-play in A Midsummer Night's Dream features Pyramus and Thisbe.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Indurain View Post

Or, ya know, it was a group of word witches from another planet trying to open a portal to the prison dimension where they are trapped by hiding the words in his plays.
    Nothing but a Nobody

Quote Originally Posted by Cogwheel View Post
    Also, are you even human any more, or did you just transcend into some sort of in-joke singularity?

16. - Top - End - #16

im not realy a fan of Shakespeare, ive never really got into any depth about it.

What i do know for a fact is, its annoyingly hard to learn in some cases (for theatre parts from personal experiance) and that its brilliant, Iambic Pentameter (spelling ) is an art in itself
    http://s9.bitefight.org/c.php?uid=97391

On No Accounts Must the Above Link Be Clicked!

Best Avatar by Sampi!

17. - Top - End - #17

Quote Originally Posted by Rachel Lorelei View Post
    The play-within-a-play in A Midsummer Night's Dream features Pyramus and Thisbe.
    Yes, it does.
    I think the phrase rhymes with 'clucking bell'.

Lord Flashheart by Kalirush

18. - Top - End - #18

Personally, I've heard quite a bit about the Shakespeare-Bacon theory, yet I've yet to hear anything wholly convincing.

Really though, the man's works contributed immensely to the use of English in theater and that's commendable in and of itself. Whether Shakespeare borrowed ideas or not, I'd say he was talented enough to be considered great, regardless of the legitimacy of his works.
    Yotsubatar by Dr. Bath

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Shakespeare is a myth English Teachers made up so that they have volumes of easy work to force students to write papers on and..

*is taken away by old ladies with large books*
    Last edited by Orzel; 2007-09-09 at 06:05 AM.
    Gitp's No. 1 Cake hater
    On Vacation until Aug 7th.
    Spell currently researching: Explosive Pie.
    Weapon currently crafting: +1 cakebane kris

20. - Top - End - #20
    Banned

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Catch View Post
    Personally, I've heard quite a bit about the Shakespeare-Bacon theory, yet I've yet to hear anything wholly convincing.

Really though, the man's works contributed immensely to the use of English in theater and that's commendable in and of itself. Whether Shakespeare borrowed ideas or not, I'd say he was talented enough to be considered great, regardless of the legitimacy of his works.
    "If Shakespeare did not exist, it would be necessary to invent him."

That said, I'd never gone with the idea that Shakespeare was just a pen name for Kit Marlowe, or Bacon, or whoever. Sure he nabbed ideas from wherever he found them, sure he recycled some tropes that were popular with his contemporaries, but give the guy credit for existing. Do you really think the single most influential and most quoted writer in the English language (the KJB doesn't count, that was a committee re-write of John Tyndale's earlier work) was nothing more than a literary phantasm? Apply Occam's Razor for great common sensical justice.

Shakespeare: a great playwright ruined by centuries of hype, idolisation and over-analysis.
    Last edited by bosssmiley; 2007-09-09 at 06:21 AM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by bosssmiley View Post
    Shakespeare: a great playwright ruined by centuries of hype, idolisation and over-analysis.
    Funny, I didn't notice anything ruined when I last read his work, or saw it onstage (squee at the GLOBE squeeeee), or took a class on it.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Colossus in the Playground

I've never ever ever had a single class that ever even had the option of studying Shakespear. Which sucks, cuz I really would've liked to. My year 12 highschool teacher could have chosen for us to cover Othello, but nooOOooo, she had to cater to the Lowest Common Denominator! grumblegrumblemutterrant *dissolves into timeworn gripes over year 11 and 12 English class and that bloody useless teacher that ruined it forever*

23. - Top - End - #23

Good Lord, that's appalling. Our English class included a Shakespeare play every year from 8 to 12, and in this country there'd be something of an outcry if it hadn't.

All writers get inspiration from pre-existing plots and plot archetypes, anyway. Even today. We just don't notice it the same way because today we have the novel, which allows you to pick and mix twelve different subplots and tangle them all up in a precise way that no-one's ever done before :P

24. - Top - End - #24

Shakespeare is alive and well and working on some much less ambitious projects. He dyed his red hair, which everyone knows is the mark of Gilgamesh, to hide his unfortunate habit for immortality. So if you think Shakespeare is real, fake, or a lemur, go down to your local gas station and tell him yourself.

25. - Top - End - #25

I think he did exist but he probably did just nick ideas from other plays or stories. Plus he was racist .
    Own it, pwn it, nuke it, sheep it, eat it, quick re -right it, Joe it, turn it, turnip, pimp it, gimp it, dot it, rock it, spec re - spec it...

I'm bringing smexy back

As a Warblade, I'm pimp as hell.

Big up kpenguin for the chronic Avatar.

Powergaming - because you can't roleplay when your dead.
    (\__/)
    (O.o )
    (> < ) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him dominate the World

26. - Top - End - #26

NecromancerGuy

Oh he's real alright! Bastard owes me ten quid!

27. - Top - End - #27
    Banned

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rachel Lorelei View Post
    Funny, I didn't notice anything ruined when I last read his work, or saw it onstage (squee at the GLOBE squeeeee), or took a class on it.
    I think you misunderstand my intent. The place to which he is elevated in the literary 'pantheon' (note inverted commas) sometimes runs the risk of obscuring his merits.

What play you see at the Globe btw? (*envy*)

Quote Originally Posted by PlatinumJester View Post
    Plus he was racist.
    Obvious troll is obvious.

That particular canard (I presume you're coming from the old "Othello" and Shylock standpoints) doesn't stand up to any analysis beyond the most cursory. If there's one thing Shakespeare rarely - if ever - created, it was stereotyped strawman characters.
    Last edited by bosssmiley; 2007-09-09 at 08:09 AM.

28. - Top - End - #28

Doesn't mean he wasn't racist. Merchant of Venice is rascist to Jewish people and black people. Though it was written 500+ years ago when everyone was racist so I guess you can kinda forgive him.
    Own it, pwn it, nuke it, sheep it, eat it, quick re -right it, Joe it, turn it, turnip, pimp it, gimp it, dot it, rock it, spec re - spec it...

I'm bringing smexy back

As a Warblade, I'm pimp as hell.

Big up kpenguin for the chronic Avatar.

Powergaming - because you can't roleplay when your dead.
    (\__/)
    (O.o )
    (> < ) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him dominate the World

29. - Top - End - #29
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PlatinumJester View Post
    Though it was written 500+ years ago when everyone was racist so I guess you can kinda forgive him.
    People are fundamentally a product of their times. It's hardly fair to even bring it up, when, in context of some of his contempories, Shakespeare wasn't bad on that front at all.
    “Life is made up of constant calls to action, and we seldom have time for more than hastily contrived answers.” -- Learned Hand

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Shakespear is as real as the moon landing. Wait...
    Thank Saturn for this avatar!