The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: The CHALLENGE 4: Art block can't stop us

1533 for Hero's War
    Spoiler
    Show
    Captain's Journal
    Day 1

The Seagoing Vessel Marina has set off from Port Tel today. The designation scheme the illustrious scholar Cato introduced gave this ship the name SV Marina, painted in bright white letters against the wooden hull. An inspiration to all sailors!

I, Nema, am its captain, a singular honour that I shall do my best to live up to. The University, Ektal and all of the Federation have vested their trust in me. Thirty good sailors and six passengers make up the crew, the responsibility of leadership rests heavily on my shoulders. This duty I shall discharge to the very best of my ability.

Our mission is to explore the unknown world, find treasures and bring stories from abroad. This research vessel crewed with the finest sailors of the Federation, bearing many and varied scientific instruments, along with six scholars of the University of Minmay and the Inath Academy, will surely succeed in our quest!

Our ship is a two-masted caravel, itself somewhat of an experimental design. Evolved from the training and experimental ship, the predecessor SV Maika, our sail plan allows tacking into the wind at a clip that puts the previous generation of vessels to shame. The sharp bottomed hull and the raised decks give the ship a great buoyancy and stability, greatly increasing our seaworthiness. Known maps of the coast and estimated maps drawn from older records give us a great ability to chart our course, along with the sea-compass and the great Selna in the sky, we shall never lose our way.

Of the armaments, a stock of guns, fireshells and a pair of spell cannons, one at the bow and one aft, our ship is also the most heavily armed ship in the Federation. Though mostly because no one had the need to arm the river and coastal barges before. And yet, I was also given a secret weapon by Cato and the special effects team. In case of sea monster, they say. Let the monsters come, we shall be ready.

I am proud to say that the SV Marina is the most advanced and seaworthy vessel of the Federation!

Our journey will start by taking depth readings of the ocean floor west of Inath, examining the fauna and assessing the performance of SV Marina in the open seas. We will head almost due westwards for two days before turning south to reach Illastein's coast where our final provisions and any last minute procurements can be made at the Independent Duchy of Eilan.

Once there, we will follow the coastline west of Illastein, to map the distance to the western most tip of this continent. In records of the past, this point marks the end of one major continent of this world Terra. The other continent is on the Farside, where Selna is not visible, or so the Academy's records say.

We carry supplies for six weeks. After mapping the end of this continent, we shall head into the unknown, where the red light of the moon reaches not. Fame and fortune await!

The stock of goods that we carry include valuables, in case we find someone to trade with, medical supplies and canned fruit. The fruit in particular, Cato has instructed us to add to our diet to ward off a disease called scurvy. While I do not understand what this disease might be, having a sweet treat I can withhold for minor infractions ought to be a useful disciplinary tool.

I almost had to use it immediately. Not an hour after the port receded below the horizon did the first incident between two of the scholars arise.

Tiel is one of the oceanographers of the University of Inath. A woman of slight build, sharp eyes and a boundless energy, as well as a strong alchemist, I had hoped that she would be a contributing crew member.

Mack is a scholar from the Academy, a spellstorm of some repute. He enjoys the patronage of a major noble in Inath, allowing him to avoid being a monster hunter and instead following his interest finding 'new and interesting' monsters. His words, not mine.

When I came up to the deck after recording the initial log entries, it was to find half my sailors watching the two of them fighting the middle of the deck. They were tumbling every which way, scratching and pulling at everything they could reach like a pair of crazed animals. It was with great disappointment that I had to instruct the crew to forcibly separate the two scholars and confine them in separate quarters. Where is the elite crew I had expected? Why had they not intervened and called for me, instead of just watching? One shall never know.

Mack might be semi-noble or have some serious backing, but what of it? We are out of sight of land, nothing but endless ocean all around. We cannot have a breakdown of discipline or we will not survive. My charter gives me the authority for all command related matters on this ship and I had to practically wave it in front of my crew to get them to obey. Not a good sign.

When I later interviewed each of them, the matter came to light in a torrid tale of lust and immorality. Mack, having once cheated on Tiel or was cheated on by her, matters are not clear and change depending on who you believe, he had once been the lover of the tiny yet furious oceanographer. Two years ago, they had separated in a stormy drama that left Tiel running to the University just to get away from Mack.

Somehow, both of them had come aboard this vessel without ever knowing the other was on board. Despite both of them having been all over the ship, they kept missing each other like the opening acts of a comedy.

Finally, today after we had left and all possibility of excusing themselves was closed, they met. Tiel was up on deck performing some measurement of the humidity, Mack had come up for fresh air. Upon spotting her, despite their mutual terrible history, Mack, in his infinite wisdom, decided that propositioning his ex-lover to be his bed companion for this voyage was a good idea.

The results was the explosive altercation I had witnessed.

My first mate, a close friend and confidante by the name of Fawkner, was beside himself with laughter. After all, it is not he who has to prevent his passengers from plotting murder.

Captain's Journal
    Day 2

Our perpetually squabbling duo Tiel and Mack have kept their peace for the night and are being let out cautiously. We shall if their good behaviour lasts.

We have arrived at the first navigation point, a survey of the ocean at the furthest point from shore in living memory. The diving bell is deployed and our tiny oceanographer went down with it on the winch.

To be honest, I cannot trust that thing. It might have stout walls and a heavy chain, but Tiel is entrusting her life to the ingenuity of man. Down at a twenty meters below the surface, she is alone with the fish. If the chain breaks, if the bell develops a leak, if any one of a number of things goes wrong, her end would be swift and certain.

As a test of a submarine concept, it works wonderfully no doubt. I just cannot see why anyone would want to go under the surface.

Our crew had a fair few scares as the chain twisted this way and that, something that never happened in the shallower depths and calmer waters in the Bay of Inath. When the bell exceed the agreed time of the dive and the signal to return had not come, we almost thought that the brave Tiel had met with an accident.

It was not so, to the relief of all. I gave the order to winch the bell back up, five minutes past the dive time of two hours, and the sailors set to it accordingly. The Marina groaned and tilted as the bell's great weight, all off one side, unbalanced the ship, as the bell rose one crank at a time. But after a great huffing and puffing of effort, the bell was recovered.

Our oceanographer was quite angry with us. In our haste, we had not stopped the ascent at ten meters for the salinity test. She even wanted us to send her down again!

To my great consternation, the woman collapsed mid-rant. One moment she was demanding we repeat the dive, the next she was on the deck groaning and clutching her arms and knees.

The ship's doctor hustled her to the sick room. It was after we had stowed away the bell, clear that no further dives would occur today, that he returned with his prognosis. The woman had developed a strange condition in her joints, aches and pains that made her unable to rest. He had to reassure the crew that Tiel had not picked up a mysterious sickness of the deeps.

It is an inauspicious start to our journey.
    Last edited by jseah; 2019-08-22 at 08:22 AM.

2. - Top - End - #212
    Barbarian in the Playground

Status for August 12 to 18!

Lycunadari passes with seven nature photos.

jseah passes with 1533 words for Hero's War.

5crownik007 passes with 1500 words for The Short Way Down.

Flyingbooks42 didn't post/upload anything..

Thus Flyingbooks42 FAILs this round!

Lycunadari, jseah and 5crownik007 PASS this round!

Current standing:
    Spoiler
    Show

Lycunadari
    Current run: 344 weeks
    Longest run: -

jseah
    Current Run: 183 weeks
    Longest Run: 33 weeks

5crownik007
    Current run: 1 week
    Longest run: 2 weeks

Flyingbooks42
    Current run: -
    Longest run: 1 week

---

More forest pics!
    You can call me Juniper. Please use gender-neutral pronouns (ze/hir (preferred) or they/them) when referring to me.

"We all are vessels of our brokenness, we carry it inside us like water, careful not to spill. And what is wholeness if not brokenness encompassed in acceptance, the warmth of its power a shield against those who would hurt us?" - R. Lemberg, Geometries of Belonging

Stories

Do you like writing? Drawing? Being creative? Come join the CHALLENGE!

3. - Top - End - #213
    Ogre in the Playground

Of Magic
    Word Count: 2476
    Added Words: 1227
    Spoiler
    Show
    Alright. She was being surrounded by a pack of wolves. And not just normal wolves, but black coated monstrosities as tall as Rihanna's short meter that puffed wisps of fire from their slavering mouths. They looked like they could bite her head off in one gulp.
    She glanced left and right. The biggest wolf was slowly stalking towards her while its subordinates spread out to try to surround her. Pack hunting. Well, if Rihanna wanted to live, she would have to do something about this right?
    What spell to make? A traditional favourite, fireball? Probably not good, the wolves were breathing fire. If this world worked like a fantasy game, these wolves would be fire resistant. So ice then? But what was an ice attack going to look like anyway? The wolves had thick fur and their fire probably kept them warm. Rihanna just couldn't see how shooting an icicle into a wolf might kill it.
    ... well, a icicle to the head would kill most things. But ice wasn't a good material and why would Rihanna conjure ice when there was a better option on the ground? She bent down to scoop up a handful of small rocks, keeping an eye on the wolves.
    They hesitated at her movement before continuing to advance. She prodded the spell creator in her head. Make rock go fast?
    Rihanna felt a completely different spell to her warmth spell settle in her mind. Direct energy to the rock in her hand, perform a different twist, project a line towards the target, pump in power and release.
    The rock disappeared with a supersonic crack. The forehead of the leading wolf her line touched exploded into shower of blood. Rihanna checked her power, five hours of the high power warmth left, or five shots. Seven wolves still standing. They were shocked right now at the sudden demise of their leader but she wouldn't bet on them staying that way for long.
    She mentally divided her energy into seven and fired another rock at the lower power. It spun out with a quieter crack, shredding the shoulder of her target in a blast of meat. It didn't die. The stunned wolves all turned back to her and immediately began to charge, the wounded wolf limping behind the pack. They weren't going to wait for her to attack them like before.
    Uh oh.
    Rihanna backed away slowly, firing off another of her rocks. This one was lucky and went straight through the mouth, tearing off the lower jaw of the wolf. The spray of blood was impressive but did not discourage the rest. Another rock, and the foremost wolf collapsed into a heap of fur with a bleeding stump for a leg.
    Her breath was coming faster now, spending the energy was taking something out of her body. It felt like she was running a marathon. Then Rihanna took another step back and hit something hard.
    She had backed into a tree. Four shots remaining, five wolves still incoming. She didn't dare lower the power any more, with the rocks gaining inaccuracy instead of losing power. If Rihanna missed, that would be the end of her. She didn't even have the time to fire them all off before the wolves got to her anyway.
    A shield please?
    Another mental flurry and a spell popped into place. Magic to make a spherical barrier around her and the growling and yelping of the wolves vanished into silence. It took surprisingly little energy. Then the lead wolf slammed into her shield mid leap, scrabbling at the invisible force in mid-air, and the energy drain slammed into Rihanna like a punch to the gut.
    Another such block and her energy would all be gone. What to do, what to do?! Rihanna saw the next wolf readying its haunches for a pounce over the fallen leading wolf. She needed more energy. Some way to make magic? Any way that could give her more power would do!
    There was a mental flurry, this time feeling even longer and her doing even more things. Her energy even dipped slightly. Then a spell fell into her head.
    A tendril of energy through her palm into the tree behind her, a column of energy connecting to her chest and a mighty mental pull. Energy from the tree flowed down the column into her, filling Rihanna with a white hot fire. She felt sick, pulling in the foreign energy was like pouring acid down her throat.
    No time to waste! Rihanna blasted the foreign energy out into her rock, blowing the projectile clear through the gut of the pouncing wolf. It blew backwards before it could touch her shield. Then Rihanna drew again from the tree, blasting the wolf that hit her shield first.
    There was a short panic when she scrambled around the tree to gain some time and pick up more rocks, a wolf hit her shield. But she managed to push the energy coming from the tree into her shield, barely holding it off. Then she had to blast the wolf and the next one and the next injured one with the broken shoulder.
    And then there were no more wolves left.
    Rihanna screamed as the tree's energy still continued to pour into her. Stop this magic! She shouted mentally.
    Compress energy into a hardened blade and blast it at the column still linking her to the tree. The link shattered into nothing. But she still had some of the tree's foreign power inside her, burning her up.
    A small mental nudge and she blasted it all into a pulse of force. A thunderclap and a blast of wind surrounded Rihanna, like a climatic end to her battle. Leaves, forest soil, fallen branches, everything within a meter or her was flung away in all directions. Even the tree was she next to creaked and groaned under the force, though not giving way.
    At long last, the forest grew quiet.
    Rihanna sagged against the abused tree, the rough bark on her skin was nothing next to the aching in her bones. Drawing that energy from the tree had injured her somehow, Rihanna knew. But she was safe for the moment.
    Her heart was beating frantically, her hands couldn't stop shaking. Damn this Rob, sending her to a place like this. If she hadn't come up with the drain spell, Rihanna would be dead right now!
    She squatted down for a moment longer before deciding to make herself scarce. She couldn't believe these wolves were the predators of this forest, not with magic around, and especially not when this concerned Rob.
    Something might come investigate the noise and Rihanna better not be here when it arrived.

301 for Hero's War
    Spoiler
    Show
    She did manage to complete a few training cycles but her condition prevents her from making accurate measures of her power. It is well known that sick people do not regenerate power quickly after all.

Cork, the ship's cook, made an interesting dish today. During the survey activities, the nets had brought in some strange fishes and our cook gave us the product of his creativity. As a fuka appointed to the expedition by Cato, I had expected a genius at making edibles out of wild resources.
    We got that but the fish meuniere was actually delicious. Despite the fact that fresh salt water fish is somewhat rare and only obtainable in port towns, Cork only needed two attempts to cook up a meal for the crew fit to be served in any upscale restaurant in Minmay. In one meal, he has won over half the crew and morale is up despite the accident with Tiel earlier today. I just wish I had a good wine to go with my fish, I have a bottle of white in my cabin I think would match the fish, but I am waiting for a special occasion to open it.
    Tomorrow, we are planning to run a drag net on the sea bed to survey the deeper resources of the region. Cork promises a boiled shellfish dinner.
    I foresee a great future for Cork and deep sea fishing. Opening a restaurant in Minmay with speciality seafood sounds like an excellent idea. Why, if enough people want seafood dinners, Port Tel might even get a railway connection!
    On the other hand, after this expedition, I suspect everyone is going to be thoroughly sick of fish. I must remember to pick up extra supplies of roots and preserved meats at our resupply stop at Eilan.

4. - Top - End - #214

Status for August 19 to 25!

Lycunadari passes with three watercolour paintings, three portraits and a bunch of fairies.

jseah passes with 301 words for Hero's War and 1227 words for Of Magic.

5crownik007 didn't upload/send me anything.

Flyingbooks42 didn't upload/send anything.

Thus 5crownik007 and Flyingbooks42 FAIL this round!

Lycunadari and jseah PASS this round!

Current standing:
    Spoiler
    Show

Lycunadari
    Current run: 345 weeks

jseah
    Current Run: 184 weeks

5crownik007

Flyingbooks42

---

I'm getting back into watercolour painting. And some pencil drawings.
    You can call me Juniper. Please use gender-neutral pronouns (ze/hir (preferred) or they/them) when referring to me.

"We all are vessels of our brokenness, we carry it inside us like water, careful not to spill. And what is wholeness if not brokenness encompassed in acceptance, the warmth of its power a shield against those who would hurt us?" - R. Lemberg, Geometries of Belonging

Stories

5. - Top - End - #215
    Ogre in the Playground

1790 for Hero's War
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ka winged his way onwards, catching a gentle tailwind that only needed him to correct west a little. Behind him trailed two hunters from Clan Two. The clans had been reluctant to be a part of this expedition due to the loss of Muli in that climatic battle months ago. Having a small population, every elka was precious to the clan. Muli's death and the demands of having two-thirds of the clan's hunters be away from the range for possibly months made them leery of the request from the landbound.
    Ka had argued, along with many of the survivors of Clan One, that the humans were here to stay and their generous offers of food, magic and other tools was worth it. More than the transient gratitude for aiding the humans, who did understand the population pressure on the clan, Ka wanted his adoptive Clan to work more closely with the humans.
    He had seen what Cato and the rest of the University did. Anything that they used, they improved. Magic and machines got better and more complex, people got training and better tools. If the elkas decided to separate themselves from the humans, they would not receive these advantages and they might lose their place in the world the humans were building around them.
    His arguments had paid off, Ka felt. The humans knew how important flight was and the elkas provided a capability that the landbound did not have. So much of their focus went towards helping the elkas fly faster, longer and be more protected. Each of the scouts that were ranging outwards from the landbound northern fortress was armed with the best weapons and best magic that could be given to them.
    The flight harness given to each of the elkas of Clan Two was a finely designed weapon. The primary limitation of the elka's flight and weapons were the amount of magical power they could bring to bear. With spellforming wands to shoot spells and mist shields to blur beams, the average elka in a combat situation could not fly for long. Hence the harness consisted of the best magical storage the humans could give them.
    it was a delicate balancing act. The more power they contained, the heavier the power pack was, even if the newly discovered and very expensive high density magical crystals were used for storage. Too heavy and the elka couldn't fly at all. Each elka flew slightly differently and as they improved in their lift and endurance, so did the weight they could carry. Not to mention the requirements of distributing the weight. Every flight harness was sized and customized for the elka who carried it, at great expense and to great effect.
    The crown jewel of the whole flight harness device was the launch assist. Rather than take a running start, each flight harness could provide one to three liftoffs from a standing start. They were barely enough to get into the air, but the ability to simply spring away from enemies made landing a much less risky prospect.
    There was talk of creating larger glider surfaces that could be deployed from the harness, to reduce energy consumption over long distance flight. Such designs only further justified working with the humans, in Ka's mind.
    The land far below him was empty. Open rolling plains and patches of light forest dotted the land interspersed with many small streams that flowed northwards. Wild animals could be spotted, though rarer than might be expected given the obviously fertile land. The reasons for that became clear after the last few flights had found traces of old farmlands, now abandoned and overgrown. To the average elka, this would be a great hunting ground if not for the lack of convenient perches.
    The mapping the clan had done so far had the humans speculate that there was a major river to the north and Ka's patrol had been tasked to find it. Flying so high that even elka eyes could not spot large prey on the ground was not normally done, being cold and quite useless for hunting. But missing a big river like they were looking for was impossible no matter how high Ka flew and the height let them survey widely.
    They had passed the limits of the mapped area yesterday, where the last scouting group had reported another ruined town. The brown smudge on the ground was all Ka could see of it, along with the misshapen squares where the growth difference between individual abandoned fields showed the decaying boundaries of this northern civilization.
    It only took a few hours of flight before Ka spotted what must be the river he was looking for.
    Not as big as the River Yang, the winding river was punctuated by a myriad of curved lakes, circular lakes and stretches of white rapids. Further to the west downstream was a marshy area that the river spread out into before disappearing over the horizon. Dots and smudges and the little discoloured patches indicating human activity was evident north of the river, and at higher density than the south.
    Ka called the other two elkas in the patrol to him with a signalling pulse of magic. The pair adjusted into a close formation around him.
    "Down there," he pointed, where a large black mass was pressed up against the river from both sides. It was moving, though that was all Ka could tell from this height.
    "It could be a zombie group," said one of the scouts. Lali looked a little worried but everyone would if asked to face a zombie swarm. The memory of Muli had reminded the elka that they were not invincible, even to the ground bound monsters.
    "I think it is a zombie group, but we should investigate and track where it's heading," Ka replied, "the humans will appreciate the warning. No need to go low enough for the beams to be a danger. "
    Her husband, Waukee, shared a look. The scout pair finally agreed after a few moments and the three elkas fell into a sharp dive.
    Almost immediately, Ka felt something was wrong with the group of monsters. They were crossing the river, but heading north. More importantly, someone was fighting them. When the elkas dropped lower, they found out who.
    Arrayed against the small horde on the opposite bank was a series of small dugouts. Little mini forts of sand and soil, each of the defensive positions could shoot at each other from the side or at an angle from the back, while the shield of mounded soil protected them from the light beams.
    Compared to the hard and concentrated defence of a trench line, walls and killing fields that the southern humans preferred, this bunch was reducing the horde by attrition. As each point was overrun, at great cost to the zombies, it was subject to a withering barrage of counter fire from the defenses behind and to the side. And rather than physical projectiles, the defenders were using almost purely magic for their attacks.
    The patrol's overflight drew little attention. The humans were locked in combat and the monsters were too attracted to the major magical signature from behind the humans' defenses. Most of the humans wore slightly heavier clothing, the air being colder here than south of the Snow Wall, and their metal armour was of a heavier design.
    As Ka and the patrol climbed back upwards with the speed they gained from the dive, they felt more than saw a huge bloom of magic from a bigger platform hidden behind a small hill. The humans there milled around, dragging bodies and injured, while the red dressed other humans scurried between them. Ka couldn't make out what they were doing but the magical bloom was hanging around their camp area like a cloud.
    As the monsters surged forwards in an attempt to reach the cloud of magic, the magic responded. Quick like lightning, the humans' magic funneled into a spike of disruptive mana that smashed into the zombies' own black mist. The two clouds struggled against each other for a moment before the black mist won, though much diminished.
    Ka could almost feel the shock on the faces of his companions. These humans had their own mist-equivalent! Though it was crude compared to the hammer blows of the spellcannons, these people were not to be underestimated.
    "Let's help them," Ka said, after watching the struggle against the dead continue unabated.
    "What? We were asked to find the river, not fight a battle," Waukee complained.
    "We wanted to find the river because the humans suspect others exist. Now that we found it and the others, if we help, they will be friendlier to us. Our humans will be happier. "
    Ka's explanation did not satisfy them, he could tell. But they eventually acquiesced to Ka's leadership.
    "Three bombs each,, target the main mass on the south side," Ka said.
    The elka patrol winged over, circling the horde to the east, before beginning an attack dive. Their spellforming wands spat out globs of magic that splashed on the top of the black mist into a blurry shield that dispersed a light beam. Then they were at the bottom of the dive, a mere few wingspans above the mist, and Ka pulled on the chosen strings on his bomb vest.
    Three cylinders each double the size of a fist were hurled into the crowd, with Lali and Waukee's own salvo beside them. Plunging through the weakened black mist, the layered disruptive shells on the cylinders and their high speed resisted the corrosive magical effect for a few moments, long enough for the bombs to reach the ground.
    Each of the cylinders popped open, a carefully balanced magical construct spraying the mixture inside evenly in all directions. The special payload instantly caught fire and then exploded with a deep booming sound.
    To make elka attacks more effective, the University had provided small quantities of handmade special ammunition. Rather than the plain living fire of the normal grenades, these contained a quantity of the new explosive powder. The living fire ignited on contact with air and caused the powder packet in the middle to instantly explode, scattering the sticky fire in a massive but short lived fireball. Flaming droplets were propelled in all directions, lighting up the dry zombies which were yet to ford the river.
    Nine blasts smashed a gaping hole in the center of the zombie swarm, and then the weakened black mist completely collapsed under the strain of trying to deal with so much fire. The small horde devolved into a charging mess without light beams.

6. - Top - End - #216

Status for August 26 to September 1!

Lycunadari passes with seven watercolour paintings.

jseah passes with 1790 words for Hero's War.

5crownik007 didn't upload/send me anything.

Thus 5crownik007 and Flyingbooks42 FAIL this round!

Lycunadari and jseah PASS this round!

Current standing:
    Spoiler
    Show

Lycunadari
    Current run: 346 weeks

jseah
    Current Run: 185 weeks

5crownik007

Flyingbooks42

---

Trees, and roses, and a glass!

Stories

7. - Top - End - #217
    Dwarf in the Playground

Update:
    I've not been posting due to a combination of exams and personal issues, but I should be back in 2 weeks at the latest.
    For now, enjoy the few things I did make over the last few weeks in-between being sad and studying(same thing really)

Spoiler: Fiona and Kyu
    Show

Spoiler: Gave Up(Rimworld Comic)
    Show
    Last edited by 5crownik007; 2019-09-12 at 08:54 PM.
    "You... little... *****. It's what my old man called me, it's like it was my name, and I proved him right, by killing all the wrong people. [And], I love ya Henry, and I'll never call you anything but your name, but you gotta decide; are you gonna lay there, swallow that blood in your mouth, or are you gonna stand up, spit it out, and go spill theirs?" - Unknown

8. - Top - End - #218
    Ogre in the Playground

1539 for Hero's War
    Spoiler
    Show
    Well, Miria expected that someone would find a use for an overly accurate lathe. Too much accuracy never hurt anyone.
    The production model lathes on the other hand, while slightly less accurate, were much cheaper due to being cut by the high quality one in her workshop. These lathes came in a variety of sizes, powered by different sources of motive work and were built according to what a customer needed.
    By the time the toolroom lathe was done and calibrated against the primary standards to everyone's satisfaction, the released specifications had given the industrialists of Minmay ideas. Sales and orders were already backed up for thousands of rimes. So of course the first thing Miria did with the lathe was to duplicate itself.
    It looked like she was about to become a very rich subsidiary of the Ironworkers, but Miria only felt a little disappointed.
    She might be earning a lot but being the lead engineer in the new generation lathe business got boring. Designing a lathe or jigs or measuring device for a customer requires just enough creativity that Miria couldn't do it in her sleep. But also wasn't anything truly new.
    What Miria most wanted to do was to build an even more accurate production tool. Perhaps something that could work on extremely small scales? Dare she even dream of a cutting edge accurate to the micron scale?

The zombie army was cut down easily without their terrible power. Once the black mist had collapsed and the defenders noticed the change in behaviour, they had rapidly formed up into a shield wall that reduced the zombies to chunks with ease.
    By the time the toolroom lathe was done and calibrated against the primary standards to everyone's satisfaction, the released specifications had given the industrialists of Minmay ideas. Sales and orders were already backed up for thousands of rimes. So of course the first thing Miria did with the lathe was to duplicate itself.
    It looked like she was about to become a very rich subsidiary of the Ironworkers, but Miria only felt a little disappointed.
    She might be earning a lot but being the lead engineer in the new generation lathe business got boring. Designing a lathe or jigs or measuring device for a customer requires just enough creativity that Miria couldn't do it in her sleep. But also wasn't anything truly new.
    What Miria most wanted to do was to build an even more accurate production tool. Perhaps something that could work on extremely small scales? Dare she even dream of a cutting edge accurate to the micron scale?

The zombie army was cut down easily without their terrible power. Once the black mist had collapsed and the defenders noticed the change in behaviour, they had rapidly formed up into a shield wall that reduced the zombies to chunks with ease.
    Ka and his patrol watched from above, circling the battlefield warily. They didn't want to spend their precious magic firing their spellforming wands at the army. It would kill only a few more zombies and the defenders seemed to have things on a rising wind.
    On the other hand, their overflight of the back area that had conjured the human's grey mist had shown some rather disturbing signs. Ones that made Ka nervous.
    As the battle wound down, the humans on the ground below began to wave upwards at them. White flags were used to mark out an empty field on which Ka could land.
    "Can you even trust these landbound? They are not the tame ones back home. "
    Ka glanced at Waukee, but the male was still in formation. "We have to, we were asked to scout and find information. Talking to the local humans will tell us more. Especially about the things we saw. "
    "And if they decide to cut you open to steal your wings?" The man might grumble but Ka knew his wing mate was just worried for his safety.
    After all, they had spotted the humans cleaning up some bodies in the healing area. Bodies that had come from those strange raised stone blocks that were now stained with red blood. Judging from the special graves that were set aside from the open grave of dead soldiers, the humans down there were burying around thirty bodies from their strange action.
    The field of bloody stone blocks looked like the humans had dragged out some of their own people and cut them open on top of the blocks. What for, Ka had no idea.
    "I have my harness and I won't be taking it off," Ka replied, "you'll be on over flight. I did ask you to only use after our bombs just in case we need to use the rest. "
    Ka didn't wait for his wing mate to reply, instead diving down to the open area before settling into a landing glide. If they were going to be so kind as to set up the clear space, Ka wouldn't waste his magic. And if it helped encourage them to think he needed a long run to get off the ground, he would have a surprise escape ready for them.
    As soon as Ka touched the ground, three of the soldiers came running into the landing zone, waving and gesturing at him.
    The words coming out of their mouth sounded like a warped almost unintelligible mess. "Leave magic things, come with" was all that Ka could make out. It was like listening to an accent even worse than the differences between the most poetic elka Clan phrases and the Inath humans' Tsarian. At least they were speaking a dialect of Tsarian, rather than the Inath's more common First originated language.
    And that their word order was not reversed.
    "I'm not leaving this," Ka said, plucking at the harness strapped around him and shaking his head.
    The foremost soldier just frowned and gestured at him again, "put down magic, not allowed. No fighting. "
    "I am not going to leave my weapons," Ka refused adamantly. After seeing the sacrifices, there was no way he was going to leave his safety behind. Even if it meant he couldn't meet with their leadership.
    "Not no weapons, commander cannot meet," the soldier insisted. He reached out towards Ka's spellforming wand but stopped when Ka took a step back out of reach.
    They stared at each other, each not willing to give up their positions.
    "What about messages?" Ka suggested.
    The soldier brightened up and spoke quickly to his colleague, who ran off.
    "Thank for help with big enemies, all people must fight with each other. "
    Ka frowned, the chance for misinterpretation was high, he barely understood the soldier. But an attempt had to be made. "The other humans are coming from the south, and they would like to meet with you. Do you have any introduction messages I can bring?"
    The soldier frowned back, "if more come, fighting with each other is good. Introduction is good. "
    Ka paused then decided that he really needed to understand if the soldier was talking about fighting the Inath people from the south. Or perhaps these northerners thought Ka was talking about monsters coming from the south?
    He paraphrased himself. The soldier did the same.
    This continued for a few more rounds before the colleague who had run off came running back with a rolled up tube of paper in his arms. "Message for coming people!" the man proclaimed and thrust it out to Ka.
    Ka received the large roll of paper carefully. "I thank you for this-" He started to bow respectfully but was interrupted when he heard some shouting around the borders of the cleared area around him.
    The soldiers who were crowding around trying to get a closer look at the foreign elka were suddenly pushed aside. Leading the way was a man in red robes, trailed by similarly red dressed flunkies. The soldiers gave them a wide berth.
    Marching straight towards Ka, the red robed man's assistants spread out trying to surround Ka and the three soldiers. The soldier who was talking to Ka puffed up with indignation, but his incoming rant was cut short when the red robe pointed at Ka and shouted a single word. "Catch!"
    Ka took one glance at the circle of red rushing towards him. Time to leave.
    He tugged on the magic in his harness and flared his lift as high as it would go, feeling the sudden magical drain from the backpack. The power blasted Ka into the sky, hurtling forwards and upwards with furled wings. Ka deployed the wings with well-practiced timing, the launch system saved power by only giving him just enough speed and height to get off the ground.
    His ability to launch from a standing start obviously took these northerners by surprise. The red robes were left gaping at Ka as he winged his way higher and upwards.
    It took until Ka had caught up to his wing mates before realizing that he was still holding the scroll containing the message the soldier had given him. Perhaps this wasn't completely a waste of time then.

9. - Top - End - #219

Status for September 2 to September 8!

Lycunadari passes with 5 nature photos, one action drawing and a bunch of critter drawings.

jseah passes with 1539 words for Hero's War.

5crownik007 passes with one drawing and a long comic.

Thus Flyingbooks42 FAILs this round!

Lycunadari, jseah and 5crownik007PASS this round!

Current standing:
    Spoiler
    Show

Lycunadari
    Current run: 347 weeks

jseah
    Current Run: 186 weeks

5crownik007
    Current run: 1 week

Flyingbooks42

---

I sorted all the pics but then promptly forgot to actually upload them before I left, oops.

Stories

10. - Top - End - #220
    Dwarf in the Playground

I actually didn't expect it, but I got a bunch of stuff made.
    Spoiler: Battle Over Vall
    Show

Spoiler: ETSOD Operator
    Show

Spoiler: SPC Infantryman
    Show
    "You... little... *****. It's what my old man called me, it's like it was my name, and I proved him right, by killing all the wrong people. [And], I love ya Henry, and I'll never call you anything but your name, but you gotta decide; are you gonna lay there, swallow that blood in your mouth, or are you gonna stand up, spit it out, and go spill theirs?" - Unknown