New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Default [Geography] Apes in Forgotten Realms

Where can I find medium sized apes living in the wild in the forgotten realms? What apes would be medium sized? Would gorillas count as medium sized apes?

I'm making a revised ranger with an ape animal companion and I'm working on backstory and cultural aspects of my character etc.

Thanks!
    The Spice must flow.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Banned

Planetar

Default Re: [Geography] Apes in Forgotten Realms

Chult seems like a likely place to have found a Gorilla companion.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

The Ranger in our party rescued a gorilla from captivity in a traveling caravan outside of Neverwinter...

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

According to XtgE Druid Tables, Apes can be seen in Forest terrains.

So clearly they can be found all over the Faerunian North, which is heavily forested.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Apes, in the real world, use to refer to orangutans, chimpanzees, gorilla, bonobo, and gibbons if I am not mistaken? So gorillas should fit as medium sized apes.
    Last edited by Fnissalot; 2018-06-24 at 12:14 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Fnissalot View Post
    Apes, in the real world, use to refer to orangutans, chimpanzees, gorilla, bonobo, and gibbons if I am not mistaken? So gorillas should fit as medium sized apes.
    That is correct, Ape is a tailless monkey, divided into great apes and lesser apes. Great apes include chimps, gorillas, orangutans, humans, and a few others (including several extinct species). Lesser apes are mostly native to Asia, and I don't remember the species included. There is no canonical species named 'ape', so the entry in the MM is rather non-specific. In fiction, Ape usually refers to gorillas, but in the case of 5e, is probably an orangutan or chimp, as gorillas aren't 'medium' creatures.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by lperkins2 View Post
    That is correct, Ape is a tailless monkey, divided into great apes and lesser apes. Great apes include chimps, gorillas, orangutans, humans, and a few others (including several extinct species). Lesser apes are mostly native to Asia, and I don't remember the species included. There is no canonical species named 'ape', so the entry in the MM is rather non-specific. In fiction, Ape usually refers to gorillas, but in the case of 5e, is probably an orangutan or chimp, as gorillas aren't 'medium' creatures.
    There is no large ape released by WotC as of now though, so I would at least be ok with gorillas going under Apes. You could then say that it is a smaller gorilla if anyone wants to complain?

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vintrastorm View Post
    Where can I find medium sized apes living in the wild in the forgotten realms? What apes would be medium sized? Would gorillas count as medium sized apes?
    "Humans are bloody everywhere these days." -- an elf, probably

Quote Originally Posted by Vintrastorm View Post
    I'm making a revised ranger with an ape animal companion and I'm working on backstory and cultural aspects of my character etc.
    Since the setting's apes include arctic yeti, it seems pretty reasonable to have apes everywhere from the sub-arctic to the tropics.

Unlike the real world, they presumably can feed off of magical plants & hunt magical non-hibernating prey animals in the winter of temperate and colder regions.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

After a quick trip to wikipedia and doing some comparisons; Gorillas(1.2-1.8m standing straight, 70-200kg) are closer to a black bear (1.2-2m standing straight, 40-250kg) than a polar bear (1.8-3m standing straight, 150-700kg) in size and height. Black bears are medium while polar bears are large; so medium should be fine for a gorilla.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Barbarian in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by WalterO’dim View Post
    The Ranger in our party rescued a gorilla from captivity in a traveling caravan outside of Neverwinter...
    THIS. Solves several problems in one. A ranger would surely want to rescue a wild animal that was unfairly imprisoned. Maybe his goal is to return Mogo back to his homeland.

So for generations did the sainted skull of Caius Anicius Magnus Furius Camillus Æmilianus Cornelius Valerius Pompeius Julius Ibidus, consul of Rome, favourite of emperors, and saint of the Romish church, lie hidden beneath the soil of a growing town. At first worshipped with dark rites by the prairie-dogs, who saw in it a deity sent from the upper world..
    - H.P. Lovecraft, "Ibid".