New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Animal bites

1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Animal bites

Quote Originally Posted by Cespenar View Post
    The main downside of a bite is the zero reach problem. That's why humans hunt with long weapons. Even a stick would give you a huge advantage against a dog over your bare hands.

Game logic-wise, I'd make bite attacks have higher damage and on-hit grapple/latch effects, but provoke an AoO from the defender like an unarmed attack (in 3.5).
    I thought about that but was worried it would be to big a mechanical penalty

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by awa View Post
    I thought about that but was worried it would be to big a mechanical penalty
    Though I have said that, there are so many logic issues with D&D that you'd have to change half the game before coming to the "bite attack" issue.

So it's usually easier to come up with the fluff according to the result, if you're dead set on continuing with the system.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cespenar View Post
    Though I have said that, there are so many logic issues with D&D that you'd have to change half the game before coming to the "bite attack" issue.

So it's usually easier to come up with the fluff according to the result, if you're dead set on continuing with the system.
    ive probably changed more than half the system

4. - Top - End - #34
    Troll in the Playground

ElfPirate

If you're still using six-second rounds it might be a good idea to watch some animal videos and time out six seconds during a fight, just to see how much activity that encompasses.
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxWilson View Post
    I've tallied up all the points for this thread, and consulted with the debate judges, and the verdict is clear: JoeJ wins the thread.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

think your going to need to be more specific on the information you want noticed. Most animal fight just have them move into the equivalent of grapple as soon as they get a solid hit.