New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Hearthstone 22: Evening the Odds

Quote Originally Posted by Mikemical View Post
    Consider the following: you've filled your deck with Fel'Dorai Strider's spiders, and both you and your opponent have no board. You get 6+ 4/4 spiders + any other card that isn't an ambush into your hand. If you vanished the turn before, you can fill your deck again with 4/4s if the first wave gets wiped. I'm not saying it's a guaranteed win condition, just theorycrafting about the uses of the spell.
    Only as many cards as you can hold in your hand. Everything else gets milled, including spiders once your hand is full.

The card works as such: you now have ten cards which need to win you the game. What ten cards can win you a game? Is that a best-case situation, worst-case scenario, or somewhere in between? The more options your deck has to win with only ten cards, the better this card is.

As long as you're not relying on two or three explosive turns to win, because you might not draw this spell.
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by otakuryoga View Post
    the only way i see that legendary rog spell being useful is if there is a card in the set that casts all spells you draw with random targets..and even that would be a hail mary move
    but lots of people played with Yogg for hail mary sooooo..
    The rogue spell could replace a second Gadgetzan. It is however terrible until late game. I'd say it is best in a combo deck (ala Malygos Rogue - cast the spell, draw Maly, Shiv, Shiv, Prep, Prep, keep Coin, Eviscerate for 21 damage)
    What ten cards can win you a game?[...]The more options your deck has to win with only ten cards, the better this card is.

Ten cards is a third of a deck. There are enough combos that can win you that easily.
    Last edited by Spore; 2018-07-11 at 08:36 AM.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mikemical View Post
    Consider the following: you've filled your deck with Fel'Dorai Strider's spiders, and both you and your opponent have no board. You get 6+ 4/4 spiders + any other card that isn't an ambush into your hand. If you vanished the turn before, you can fill your deck again with 4/4s if the first wave gets wiped. I'm not saying it's a guaranteed win condition, just theorycrafting about the uses of the spell.
    Note that if you burn the spiders they don't spawn. Meaning if they aren't part of those first 10 cards, you get nothing.

I would say that card is obviously best used in aggro, since in control or combo you risk burning your win condition if you use it before the last 10 cards, and if you wait until then to use it it's a dead draw the entire time. So with that said I would probably drop it into Odd Rogue, in place of Sprint, for finishing out games where the opponent is about to stabilize. If you can't finish them off with 10 more cards in hand then you were probably going to lose anyway. It also lets you point and laugh at Rin decks. ("You can't fire me, I already quit!")
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

4. - Top - End - #64
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

No one has yet asked the important question - how do we get Dave Kosak to make a rap song for us?

5. - Top - End - #65
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sporeegg View Post
    Ten cards is a third of a deck. There are enough combos that can win you that easily.
    Though, it has to be a combo that works when missing a significant number of combo pieces, because unlike most combo decks where you can keep waiting until you draw into the pieces, you draw 6-9 cards and hope you have enough of your combo to go off.
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

I find that another risk is that rogues rarely have small hands at any point in the game. Their card draw is already so good that it would be difficult to run out of cards if you tried. Drawing the rest of your deck risks having a hand too full to make the best use of it. If you have five or more cards in your hand, you'll lose most of your deck to the milling.

7. - Top - End - #67

Quote Originally Posted by Resileaf View Post
    I find that another risk is that rogues rarely have small hands at any point in the game. Their card draw is already so good that it would be difficult to run out of cards if you tried. Drawing the rest of your deck risks having a hand too full to make the best use of it. If you have five or more cards in your hand, you'll lose most of your deck to the milling.
    This again is why aggro is the best fit for this card - dumping your hand is something you end up doing naturally anyway so that you can race control and combo effectively. Top-decking this when you have one-card in hand and need to get rid of a pesky taunt or respond to a big tempo swing (board clear or lifegain) is perfect.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

8. - Top - End - #68
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    No one has yet asked the important question - how do we get Dave Kosak to make a rap song for us?
    Ben Brode only did rap songs for expansions without theme songs, so Journey to Un'goro and Knights of the Frozen Throne; he didn't do one for Kobolds and Catacombs or Witchwood.

Boomsday Project has a theme song, albeit not much of one. It's just a chorus.

<sentence that's broken into two parts, with the last words rhyming> "when you work with Doctor Boom!"

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    This again is why aggro is the best fit for this card - dumping your hand is something you end up doing naturally anyway so that you can race control and combo effectively. Top-decking this when you have one-card in hand and need to get rid of a pesky taunt or respond to a big tempo swing (board clear or lifegain) is perfect.
    I can definitely see this fitting in a similar spot in Aggro Rogue as Aluneth does in Aggro Mage.
    Last edited by Joran; 2018-07-11 at 01:07 PM.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ogre in the Playground

Speaking of Aggro, Hearthstone revealed a new card, and it looks like Mage might have an alternative for Aluneth in Stargazer Luna.
    you know that I'm more than just a doll do you?-Geno
    Add me on Steam!
    Spoiler
    Show
    by Thecrimsonmage and By Shades of Gray by Akrim.elf

and current made by me.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Geno9999 View Post
    Speaking of Aggro, Hearthstone revealed a new card, and it looks like Mage might have an alternative for Aluneth in Stargazer Luna.
    Stargazer Luna
    Mage Legendary minion
    3 mana 2/4
    After you play the right-most card in your hand, draw a card.

¿Porque no los dos?

There are some Aggro Mage lists that have both Aluneth and Arcane Intellect; seems like it could slot in for an Arcane Intellect. Interesting mechanic; they're expanding design space even more.

I can see best case scenarios for Luna + Sorcerer's Apprentice and then just running through the deck (there's a bevy of 1-2 cost spells that Mage can run). 2/4 stat line means that it's going to be difficult to remove if the enemy doesn't have an early minion. Looks good for burn/Aggro mage.

11. - Top - End - #71

Quote Originally Posted by Joran View Post
    I can definitely see this fitting in a similar spot in Aggro Rogue as Aluneth does in Aggro Mage.
    Indeed, and it's even better than Aluneth in many cases. Aluneth doesn't instantly fatigue you, but once you start, you begin fatiguing 4x per turn, killing you in no time. This card meanwhile, even though it does start fatigue instantly, it's only 1x per turn (and furthermore you can get that down to 0x with a Kingsbane if you want.)
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

12. - Top - End - #72
    Titan in the Playground

Stargazer Luna
    Mage Legendary minion
    3 mana 2/4
    After you play the right-most card in your hand, draw a card.

¿Porque no los dos?

There are some Aggro Mage lists that have both Aluneth and Arcane Intellect; seems like it could slot in for an Arcane Intellect. Interesting mechanic; they're expanding design space even more.
    I already love this card for three reasons.

1) For the enemy, you suddenly have another layer of complexity added that they can play around or into. Does the tempo Mage have Luna? Which cards are where in his hand?

2) It buffs my favorite archetype.

3) The Yu-Gi-Oh memes are real. Heart of the cards, don't fail me now!

13. - Top - End - #73

So this brawl taught me an interesting unexpected card interaction. If Shifter Zerus transforms into one of the Witchwood stat-swap minions (Spellshifter, Gilnean Royal Guard, etc.) - the swapped stats become permanent even after Zerus turns into something else. I had a Zerus-into-Spellshifter who swapped from 1/4 to 4/1, then every other monster he turned into for the rest of the game had its native stats overridden to 4/1.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Troll in the Playground

Well, the reveal video was incredibly cringe-worthy, but the shown cards look nice.

I assume "magnetic" means, if you have a mech you HAVE to cast it as a buff, you don't get to choose. In that case it risks being pretty bad, because in my experience there are many cases where I'd prefer having two separate dudes.

Anyways, cards look cool.

As the reveals come out, please point out to the ones you think are most interesting or you don't know about: I'll gather them and do a poll like last time :)
    Quote Originally Posted by actual quote from this forum
    So yeah. your wrong.
    Check out Camp Archimedes, a (slightly homebrew) mercenary camp full of interesting units. A great addition to any campaign (in my very biased opinion)

15. - Top - End - #75
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gandariel View Post
    Well, the reveal video was incredibly cringe-worthy, but the shown cards look nice.
    Agreed. Maybe they should have asked Carbot. At least his drawing style is enjoyable and his jokes are funny.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gandariel View Post
    I assume "magnetic" means, if you have a mech you HAVE to cast it as a buff, you don't get to choose. In that case it risks being pretty bad, because in my experience there are many cases where I'd prefer having two separate dudes.
    Nope, you can still play the Magnetic Minion normally. They have a little showcase gif on their website, what you have to do to activate the Magnetic is playing the Magnetic Minion on the left of the Mech you want to buff.
    you know that I'm more than just a doll do you?-Geno
    Add me on Steam!
    Spoiler
    Show
    by Thecrimsonmage and By Shades of Gray by Akrim.elf

and current made by me.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Titan in the Playground

Nope, you can still play the Magnetic Minion normally. They have a little showcase gif on their website, what you have to do to activate the Magnetic is playing the Magnetic Minion on the left of the Mech you want to buff.
    Man, Hearthstone's minimalist UI design is really starting to show...

18. - Top - End - #78
    Troll in the Playground

I'm surprised they didn't borrow the Choose 1 feature. I can see situations where I'll want to play a minion as a minion to play around something (small minion to play around Crushing Walls) and getting it magnetized to a minion.

Although, flavor-wise, playing with magnets, they do sometimes stick in ways I didn't anticipate and that "SNAP" feeling is always great.

19. - Top - End - #79

I'm surprised they didn't borrow the Choose 1 feature. I can see situations where I'll want to play a minion as a minion to play around something (small minion to play around Crushing Walls) and getting it magnetized to a minion.

Although, flavor-wise, playing with magnets, they do sometimes stick in ways I didn't anticipate and that "SNAP" feeling is always great.
    Maybe the Choose 1 code doesn't allow for a minion/spell pairing? They could do it as a buff/summon, but that wouldn't trigger Battlecries and lock out a lot of potential design space.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Colossus in the Playground

More likely, they simply didn't want to make a druid-specific mechanic universal.

21. - Top - End - #81

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeGuitarrem View Post
    Man, Hearthstone's minimalist UI design is really starting to show...
    The limitations of a minimalist UI are a paltry price to pay for enabling cross-platform play with the entire mobile market though.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

22. - Top - End - #82
    Troll in the Playground

The limitations of a minimalist UI are a paltry price to pay for enabling cross-platform play with the entire mobile market though.
    I've played Hearthstone on every device that supports it.

When I initially played Hearthstone, it was on my iPad 2. Then I swapped to PC when the iPad got too slow. Now, I play about 50-50 PC/Android phone now.

I like the PC interface the best, but it's still a nice experience on the phone once you get used to it.

At some point, I should probably download a deck tracker.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Titan in the Playground

Maybe, but Eternal demonstrates that you can pull off a lot better UI on mobile.

24. - Top - End - #84

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    More likely, they simply didn't want to make a druid-specific mechanic universal.
    And for druids, running that alongside Fandral might cause coding headaches.

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeGuitarrem View Post
    Maybe, but Eternal demonstrates that you can pull off a lot better UI on mobile.
    Who?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

25. - Top - End - #85
    Ogre in the Playground

Who?
    I assume they mean Eternal, the game by Dire Wolf Digital. I could be wrong, though. I only just found out about it by Googling it because of this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harnel View Post
    where is the atropal? and does it have a listed LA?

26. - Top - End - #86

Quote Originally Posted by gomipile View Post
    I assume they mean Eternal, the game by Dire Wolf Digital. I could be wrong, though. I only just found out about it by Googling it because of this thread.
    I was being facetious; I don't actually care about every inconsequential CCG out there.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

27. - Top - End - #87
    Titan in the Playground

It definitely puts Hearthstone to shame in the UI department, among other things.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

fire festival time!
    all quests award double gold!
    and i cleared my quest log yesterday 8(
    Ponies not only make ME want to be a better person than I was before they entered my life, they make me want to HELP OTHERS be better people too.

And that is a GOOD thing by any definition.

full size avatar

29. - Top - End - #89
    Titan in the Playground

BDP feels weird in that regard that it actually buffs wild more than standard as there are many MANY more mechs in that format. Anyone thinks there will be a new focus on wild with the changed team?

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

Wild gets massively buffed with every expansion as the new cards mix with the old ones in completely broken combos, it's not a new situation.
    The only difference is that mechs already existed in the past, so the new generation of mechs will have more combos with the old one.