New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Default Re: Hearthstone 22: Evening the Odds

So I ended up binging on Hearthstone overnight. I finishing up some quests with a very old spiteful priest when I got blindsided by burst priest combo (Alexstraza-> Mind Blast x2 + Holy Fire). Realized I only needed to craft Alexstraza for it. A few hours later, I'd climbed from 20 to 10 and maxed out on gold for the day, my sign I needed to quit for the day.

I enjoy the deck, it does favorably against paladin and most warlocks I went up against but I still had to put in a decent amount of thought and make choices. But druid. OH MY GOD DRUID.

I realize I'm playing a one-hit wombo combo and deck and that's going to struggle but my god druid feels overtuned. Way too much armor, and way too much reward for stacking the armor, and everything just synergizes way too well together. It's ridiculous how much armour and utility they get even before you include the absurd value that is hadronox. I swear it gets more armour than C'thun warrior.

2. - Top - End - #92

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Cardew View Post
    I enjoy the deck, it does favorably against paladin and most warlocks I went up against but I still had to put in a decent amount of thought and make choices. But druid. OH MY GOD DRUID.

I realize I'm playing a one-hit wombo combo and deck and that's going to struggle but my god druid feels overtuned. Way too much armor, and way too much reward for stacking the armor, and everything just synergizes way too well together. It's ridiculous how much armour and utility they get even before you include the absurd value that is hadronox. I swear it gets more armour than C'thun warrior.
    Two Words: Skulking Geist. Ruins their Haddronox spam/mill and removes their only removal from hand. Taunt Warrior ruins their fun with Cornered sentry's raptors and Shaman with Hex's frog. I ran into one with my budget Shudderwock deck(no Hagatha or Grumble), and the two times he rolled his rez, two times he rez'd a 0/1 taunt. It was glorious. But yeah, Druids have extremely consistant decks that have very little chance to lose in any matchup because they can outvalue aggro, midrange and outlive control decks in the late game.

And God forbid they managed to get a turn 5 Oakheart and pull Dragonhatcher and the 1/5 that doubles end of turn effects. Literally get 4-5 lategame minions for 5 mana.
    Last edited by Mikemical; 2018-07-17 at 03:56 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    You're my hero.
    OotS Avatar by Linklele.

Spoiler: When early morn walks forth in sober grey. - William Blake
    Show
    Oft when the summer sleeps among the trees,
    Whispering faint murmurs to the scanty breeze,
    I walk the village round; if at her side
    A youth doth walk in stolen joy and pride,
    I curse my stars in bitter grief and woe,
    That made my love so high and me so low.

O should she e'er prove false, his limbs I'd tear
    And throw all pity on the burning air;
    I'd curse bright fortune for my mixed lot,
    And then I'd die in peace, and be forgot.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Mikemical View Post
    Two Words: Skulking Geist. Ruins their Haddronox spam/mill and removes their only removal from hand. Taunt Warrior ruins their fun with Cornered sentry's raptors and Shaman with Hex's frog. I ran into one with my budget Shudderwock deck(no Hagatha or Grumble), and the two times he rolled his rez, two times he rez'd a 0/1 taunt. It was glorious. But yeah, Druids have extremely consistant decks that have very little chance to lose in any matchup because they can outvalue aggro, midrange and outlive control decks in the late game.

And God forbid they managed to get a turn 5 Oakheart and pull Dragonhatcher and the 1/5 that doubles end of turn effects. Literally get 4-5 lategame minions for 5 mana.
    Don't forget mage polymorph. They can also add a beast to the enemy pool.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Troll in the Playground

Four new cards.

Al'akir lite is likely pretty good (plus Corpsetaker and Ashmore!), and the new 1/5 mech is probably a very scary minion even outside Mech synergy.
    Quote Originally Posted by actual quote from this forum
    So yeah. your wrong.
    Check out Camp Archimedes, a (slightly homebrew) mercenary camp full of interesting units. A great addition to any campaign (in my very biased opinion)

5. - Top - End - #95
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gandariel View Post
    Four new cards.

Al'akir lite is likely pretty good (plus Corpsetaker and Ashmore!), and the new 1/5 mech is probably a very scary minion even outside Mech synergy.
    1/5 is just annoying vs. aggro decks. But then again, somehow game development seems to combat aggro style decks with every expansion. I can see why because they are annoying to play against (no interaction ala Magic with blocking) but there's enough stuff to stop that already.

As for Zilliax, I think it's a main stay in almost any mech deck. The strength of magnetic are keywords, not stats imho. Unpowered Steam Bot into Zilliax is a 3/11 divine shield, rush, windfury taunt lifesteal. Drawing and playing that is pretty much the death of any aggro deck. Hard removal is its poison.

Is there any news if the fused mech has summon sickness? If not, even wargear might be viable.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Titan in the Playground

Zilliax and the 1/5 seem pretty good (though no windfury). The others... I'm less positive. Maybe wargear is ok.
    I used to do LP's. Currently archived here:

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:
    The Great Divide Dark Heresy - Finished
    They All Uprose Dark Heresy - Finished
    Dead in the Water Dark Heresy - Finished
    House of Glass Dark Heresy - Deceased

We All Fall Down Dark Heresy - Finished

Sea of Stars Rogue Trader - Ongoing

7. - Top - End - #97
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Sporeegg View Post
    As for Zilliax, I think it's a main stay in almost any mech deck. The strength of magnetic are keywords, not stats imho. Unpowered Steam Bot into Zilliax is a 3/11 divine shield, rush, windfury taunt lifesteal. Drawing and playing that is pretty much the death of any aggro deck. Hard removal is its poison.
    Unpowered Steambot -> Zilliax costs 9 mana--if you're at turn 9 and can safely play it in one turn (i.e. aren't in danger of dying through removal anyway), you're probably fairly safe against aggro. If you try to play it over two turns earlier in the game, then you're giving an aggro player what's essentially a free turn to set up against your gameplan, including possibly just hitting your face with Leeroy for lethal.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Ettin in the Playground

1/5 is just annoying vs. aggro decks. But then again, somehow game development seems to combat aggro style decks with every expansion. I can see why because they are annoying to play against (no interaction ala Magic with blocking) but there's enough stuff to stop that already.

Is there any news if the fused mech has summon sickness? If not, even wargear might be viable.
    I think I recall something that a magnetized mech can attack if its predecessor could attack, though I don't have a source.
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

9. - Top - End - #99

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mikemical View Post

Yeah I figured out the skulking ghiest bit after the after the third mage I played dropped it on me. I couldn't figure out why they all had it in there at first. I'm tempted to add a chief inspector as well to deal with some mages but I'm worried it will be to slow against mage and hunter and it's useless by default against everyone else. Priest doesn't have good options for diluting the beast pool unless I'm missing something. Maybe I could add in a cornered sentry, I'm running 2 pyromancers and a bunch of spells after all but that seems... sub optimal.

I do think jade spellstone is way too cheap/effective especially when you compare it shield slam, which requires you to actually have the armor. Shield slams ceiling might be higher, but it's floor is much much lower.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Spamalot in the Playground

I'm okay with a 2 mana 1/5 vanilla mech actually. Druid of the Swarm is a 2 mana 1/5 beast with taunt, that can also transform into soft removal if that is needed, and that wasn't gamebreaking. The loss of taunt and versatility is worth the conversion from class card to neutral imo.

I mean, aggro has gotten plenty of goodies too. If you look at an Odd Paladin decklist for example, you'll see key cards from every expansion in Standard. I think they're balancing the meta between the big 3 archetypes (aggro, control and combo) well.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

11. - Top - End - #101
    Troll in the Playground

I'm actually in total disagreement with you, while still being on the same side.

The 1/5 is not a good anti aggro card. It's a good aggro card. If Zoo doesn't run Keleseth I'm thinking they will run him.

And Zillax is good, but Unpowered steambot is probably the worst thing for him to Magnetize on.

First off there's the old adage "if the individual cards are bad on their own, the deck won't work" (which has been proven true countless times)

And then, for 9 mana and two cards that's not even that amazing.

The best target we've been shown is probably the 1/5, because you give it taunt and a more balanced stat line. Or the Hunter bomb guy, where it should kill at least 2 minions and heal a bunch.

The 5/5 would be a better target too.
    10 mana and 2 cards is not too crazy a price for "kill a minion, heal 8, and have an 8/7 taunt lifesteal".
    The only effect I can compare it to is Ultimate Infestation, which means it's on the right track.
    Quote Originally Posted by actual quote from this forum
    So yeah. your wrong.
    Check out Camp Archimedes, a (slightly homebrew) mercenary camp full of interesting units. A great addition to any campaign (in my very biased opinion)

12. - Top - End - #102
    Titan in the Playground

The 2 mana 1/5 is almost certainly going to bring out the inner fire combo priests.

Other cards look strong, but we’ll have to see. If Magnetize can be silenced, aggro decks will have a very strong game plan to push through damage considering how much goes into a single combined card.
    School Fox by Atlur

Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

13. - Top - End - #103
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gandariel View Post
    First off there's the old adage "if the individual cards are bad on their own, the deck won't work" (which has been proven true countless times)
    Raid Leader tho
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    Mordekaiser for president.

14. - Top - End - #104

Quote Originally Posted by Winthur View Post
    Raid Leader tho
    It still hurts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    You're my hero.
    OotS Avatar by Linklele.

Spoiler: When early morn walks forth in sober grey. - William Blake
    Show
    Oft when the summer sleeps among the trees,
    Whispering faint murmurs to the scanty breeze,
    I walk the village round; if at her side
    A youth doth walk in stolen joy and pride,
    I curse my stars in bitter grief and woe,
    That made my love so high and me so low.

O should she e'er prove false, his limbs I'd tear
    And throw all pity on the burning air;
    I'd curse bright fortune for my mixed lot,
    And then I'd die in peace, and be forgot.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Winthur View Post
    Raid Leader tho
    Raid Leader isn't what makes the deck work. If Odd decks could run Dire Wolf Alpha instead, then they'd do so.

16. - Top - End - #106

DwarfClericGuy

Fire festival brawl with mini rag. Time to get those fireworks.

17. - Top - End - #107

Quote Originally Posted by Mando Knight View Post
    Raid Leader isn't what makes the deck work. If Odd decks could run Dire Wolf Alpha instead, then they'd do so.
    DWA is certainly better, but that doesn't mean Raid Leader (a bad individual card) isn't one of the best 3 drops this deck could run.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

18. - Top - End - #108
    Titan in the Playground

Why would Dire Wolf be better, exactly? It has less impact on this kind of deck. You're generally never going to have less than 4 minions on board, so the position dependent +1 attack to two creatures is going to have far less value than +1 to 3, 4, 5, or 6 minions.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Titan in the Playground

With a lot of tokens, they give roughly the same benefit unless you're pushing face damage. When you trade one token in, the next one gets the +1 attack bonus.

And DWA is 1 mana cheaper.
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeGuitarrem View Post
    With a lot of tokens, they give roughly the same benefit unless you're pushing face damage. When you trade one token in, the next one gets the +1 attack bonus.
    Fair enough, though your endgame a lot of the time with Odd Paladin is to just nuke their face with as much damage as possible once your board is set up. 4 dudes plus Level Up plus Raid Leader is a bigger spike than the same but Wolf instead.

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeGuitarrem View Post
    And DWA is 1 mana cheaper.
    Right, but it WOULDN'T be if, as Mando Knight said, Odd decks could run it. It would have to cost either 1 mana (in which case it's clearly OP, since it's essentially a 1 mana 4/2 under ideal circumstances, and a 1 mana 2/2 at worst, which is still great) or 3 (in which case we're back to "it's undeniably worse than Raid Leader unless you're Hunter").

21. - Top - End - #111
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    Right, but it WOULDN'T be if, as Mando Knight said, Odd decks could run it. It would have to cost either 1 mana (in which case it's clearly OP, since it's essentially a 1 mana 4/2 under ideal circumstances, and a 1 mana 2/2 at worst, which is still great) or 3 (in which case we're back to "it's undeniably worse than Raid Leader unless you're Hunter").
    I actually meant it more as a "if Odd decks could run DWA as-is" note--if you relax the Odd-Only requirement imposed by Baku (such as pre-Witchwood aggro/recruit Paladin), you run DWA over Raid Leader. If there was "DWA, but a 2/4 (or possibly even 2/3) for 3", Odd Paladin would probably consider it over Raid Leader for the larger body. Raid Leader gets cut in Wild Odd Paladin, where you can get some Wild 3-drops that do have better stats (Warhorse Trainer) or a potentially-better ability (Steward of Darkshire).

22. - Top - End - #112
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mando Knight View Post
    I actually meant it more as a "if Odd decks could run DWA as-is" note
    If imagining that makes someone's brain hurt too much, imagine if they moved Dire Wolf Alpha to three mana and gave it, "Battlecry: Refill one mana crystal."

23. - Top - End - #113
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I have a challenge a friend quest. Anyone willing to swap one? I am normally able to play between 9-12 PM eastern time.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Titan in the Playground

Raid Leader is quite heavy synergy with a deck that can expect to put 4+ bodies on the board during the middle turns of the game. It’s also a bad card, but it can offer both trading and sometimes acts as a lava burst (which is a good 3 mana card), so it’s conditionally worth playing. Also though, identifying when a niche card can become a top tier contributor does not contradict the general rule that playing a lot of bad cards is bad.
    School Fox by Atlur

Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

25. - Top - End - #115
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

What does everyone think of Whizbang? I think this might be the first ever Golden legendary that I craft.

And I normally dust all golden cards that I already have 2 copies of.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by MacGiolla View Post
    What does everyone think of Whizbang? I think this might be the first ever Golden legendary that I craft.

And I normally dust all golden cards that I already have 2 copies of.
    He's niche, but not in the way most niche legendaries are. Whizbang is for the player who doesn't really know what kind of deck they want to play, but wants to play some Hearthstone anyway. He's the cheapest way to experience a wide variety of cards from the current sets (until April-ish 2020 in Standard, and indefinitely in Wild), but is terrible for consistency (since you randomly play one of 18 decks every game).

27. - Top - End - #117

Will Golden Whizbang turn your whole deck golden?

...If so I might be right there with you in crafting it! It'll depend on whats in the recipes though.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

28. - Top - End - #118
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post

...If so I might be right there with you in crafting it! It'll depend on whats in the recipes though.
    It's the same (non-Classic+Basic) deck recipes that the game offers you when you decide to build a new deck, two decks per class that change every time they release a new set.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post

It should turn your deck golden if it works like other golden cards. That means you would even get to use the golden coin.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Titan in the Playground

Whizbang The Wonderful: THE ONLY CARD YOU'LL EVER NEED.

Sure you can get better ones to actually win, but to play the game? Only card you'll technically need.

I'm waiting for the inevitable card they're going to introduce to combine with Myra's Unstable Element. Right now its just a bad card or in very specific situation a last resort play, but if they make something even like "every time you draw a card deal 1 damage to the enemy player" boom, it'll be something good. Or if you could somehow find a way to cast it upon your opponent.....
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".