New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Hearthstone 22: Evening the Odds

Quote Originally Posted by Resileaf View Post
    Well I already know that in wild, it synergizes well with feign death. They also work as anti-AoE because they're instant 8 damage to the face.
    True about Feign Death, though I really tend not to care about Wild - only reason I'd venture into that is to play classic Handlock a bit. And as anti-AoE goes, they seem a tad counter-productive due to taking up so much space on your board that it becomes hard to have a board that demands AoE.

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    Play Dead. Terrorscale Stalker.

I could see a weird combo with Seeping Oozeling, one of those two, and something like Abomination or Primordial Drake. Spells like Grievous Bite and Explosive Shot can also target friendlies. The former also forces the opponent to look for a silence or eat 8+ damage to the face AND trade at least one minion or a spell into a 5/5 Taunt.

I don't think it will be a particularly GOOD combo, but I can see a meme deck built around it and the dream of nuking your opponent's face with a bunch of pseudo-Boom Bots.
    Play Dead seems like a bad use of that card - you've basically turned it into an Arcane Shot that can only be aimed at the face. Terrorscale Stalker is a bit better since it comes attached to a 3/3, but still nothing overly impressive.

I suppose Seeping Oozeling to get more of them could be a thing, but that only helps if you have ways to activate them. And Abomination and Primordial Drake kind of fall under what I said about Geddon.
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

2. - Top - End - #182
    Titan in the Playground

Kind of, but I think it could work in some kind of hypothetical Control Hunter where you stall them out, chip away at them, and then finish them off with a burst of damage at the end.

Might pair well with the 2 Mana Infest but Mechs card to give you a bit of refill at the last edge of the game.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    FYI - All the new cards are being added to the page I linked above in real time, including that one. Just to save you some typing
    but..
    Quote Originally Posted by Destro_Yersul View Post
    People have gotten annoyed in the past when we haven't posted full stats for things, because some of them look at this thread from work or somewhere that the various reveal sites are blocked.
    yeah..that
    Quote Originally Posted by Zevox View Post
    Anyway though, thoughts on today's cards:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Neutral
    7: Star Aligner - Well, the name's apt - the stars really need to align to ever use that ability. Pack filler, and even in arena he's just War Golem 99% of the time.

alternatively..shot in the arm to good ol cubelock
    not hard for cubelock to get 3 or 4 of the charging 5/7's out..(and run one into something to go from 4 to 3)
    Ponies not only make ME want to be a better person than I was before they entered my life, they make me want to HELP OTHERS be better people too.

And that is a GOOD thing by any definition.

full size avatar

4. - Top - End - #184
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by otakuryoga View Post
    but..

yeah..that
    It's your wrist, pal. *shrug*

not hard for cubelock to get 3 or 4 of the charging 5/7's out..(and run one into something to go from 4 to 3)
    ...Oh crap, I forgot about Dreadlord. 7 to the enemy's whole board and 17 to the face is actually not bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Resileaf View Post
    Well I already know that in wild, it synergizes well with feign death. They also work as anti-AoE because they're instant 8 damage to the face.
    ...But... why the heck would you AoE them? The hunter has willingly given up 4 board slots on crappy minions you never have to interact with. (5 if you consider that the 5/5 is woefully overcosted.)

Sure he might magnetize them next turn... but if he had 4 minions he could've dropped in one turn, he could've just done that last turn.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

5. - Top - End - #185
    Titan in the Playground

...But... why the heck would you AoE them? The hunter has willingly given up 4 board slots on crappy minions you never have to interact with. (5 if you consider that the 5/5 is woefully overcosted.)

Sure he might magnetize them next turn... but if he had 4 minions he could've dropped in one turn, he could've just done that last turn.
    That's his point. You're disincentivized to use board clears while those are up, in a way.

In practice it essentially makes Blizzard like smacking a 4/2 Taunt with a weapon. Not a huge discouragement when put that way, but still some of one. The discouragement increases as the number of bots grows and become a potentially bigger threat, though so does available board real estate decrease.

Potential mind games, especially when enemy health is low. Sure they can Dragon's Fury their Flamestrike to clear the board, but eating a potential 8 damage when they only have 10 left is a gamble, and likely leaves the Hunter the board (if he doesn't outright win in that scenario via non-Deathstalker hero power).

Combined with a future Mark of the Lotus style board buff and it could be a pretty great combo. Hell, something like Dire Wolf alpha could force the issue. It's not like Magnetize is the ONLY Minion buff available, after all.
    Last edited by Rynjin; 2018-07-26 at 12:37 AM.

6. - Top - End - #186

That's his point. You're disincentivized to use board clears while those are up, in a way.
    Not my point. I meant, why would you need to?

Board clears are for if your opponent has a board full of threats. A bunch of 0/2s are not threats, even if they can be "buffed later."

Compare this to casting Spellstone. You leave this alone, you might take 6-9 damage next turn, and even then most of that is from the 5/5 which you can deal with individually. You leave the wolves alone, you're definitely taking 12, maybe even 16 if the followup is Leokk, to say nothing of eating KC or hero power on top of that.
    Last edited by Psyren; 2018-07-26 at 12:52 AM.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

7. - Top - End - #187
    Titan in the Playground

Not my point. I meant, why would you need to?

Board clears are for if your opponent has a board full of threats. A bunch of 0/2s are not threats, even if they can be "buffed later."

Compare this to casting Spellstone. You leave this alone, you might take 4-6 damage next turn. You leave the wolves alone, you're definitely taking 12, maybe even 16 if the followup is Leokk, to say nothing of eating KC or hero power on top of that.
    If there's a 5/5, a 5/4 (the Oozeling), a 3/3 (the Stalker) and two 0/2's, you might consider dropping a Flamestrike/Ping, or a Dragon's Fury is my point. This makes you take 4 damage, and produces 4 more 0/2s, which can be easily buffed from hand the next turn, or played alongside other sticky minions like Savannah Highmane or that new mech that summons a pair of Annoy-o-Trons and a 4/4 or whatever. You're now again faced with the choice of clearing board (and taking 8 damage), trading 4 minion attacks to knock off the Annoy-o-Trons (or killing the Highmane, leaving the 2/2s to deal with), or doing nothing about it.

Edit: Forgot it summoned 4 by default, so you'd have 3 0/2s for 6 damage in the first case.
    Last edited by Rynjin; 2018-07-26 at 01:00 AM.

8. - Top - End - #188
    Ogre in the Playground

Void Ripper can be conveniently played after Boommaster at 10 Mana, turning the 0/2 minions into 2/0s and from there into 8 face damage. The legendary is still terrible, I don't think this is going to find itself in too many Mech or Deathrattle Hunters, if at all.

The 0/2 Goblin Bombs have also been confirmed as being collectible neutral commons. Woo.
    you know that I'm more than just a doll do you?-Geno
    Add me on Steam!
    Spoiler
    Show
    by Thecrimsonmage and By Shades of Gray by Akrim.elf

and current made by me.

9. - Top - End - #189
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

If there's a 5/5, a 5/4 (the Oozeling), a 3/3 (the Stalker) and two 0/2's, you might consider dropping a Flamestrike/Ping, or a Dragon's Fury is my point. This makes you take 4 damage, and produces 4 more 0/2s, which can be easily buffed from hand the next turn, or played alongside other sticky minions like Savannah Highmane or that new mech that summons a pair of Annoy-o-Trons and a 4/4 or whatever. You're now again faced with the choice of clearing board (and taking 8 damage), trading 4 minion attacks to knock off the Annoy-o-Trons (or killing the Highmane, leaving the 2/2s to deal with), or doing nothing about it.

Edit: Forgot it summoned 4 by default, so you'd have 3 0/2s for 6 damage in the first case.
    Boommaster Flark summons the Goblin Bombs as a Battlecry, making Seeping Oozeling (which copies a Deathrattle at random from the deck with its Battlecry) irrelevant. You're not producing even more Goblin Bombs without a bounce effect.

10. - Top - End - #190
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mando Knight View Post
    Boommaster Flark summons the Goblin Bombs as a Battlecry, making Seeping Oozeling (which copies a Deathrattle at random from the deck with its Battlecry) irrelevant. You're not producing even more Goblin Bombs without a bounce effect.
    Whoops. I misread the card as "Deathrattle: Summon 4 0/2 bots". Hm.

Not sure how to make that work then.

11. - Top - End - #191

Whoops. I misread the card as "Deathrattle: Summon 4 0/2 bots". Hm.

Not sure how to make that work then.
    All good. I was sure I had misread it too. It just seems bad.

And knowing my luck, it's the one I'll get - just like I got Shaw when the only Hunter deck I play is Spellhunter
    Last edited by Psyren; 2018-07-26 at 03:17 AM.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

12. - Top - End - #192
    Titan in the Playground

On the bright side, at least Shaw is a good card.

I got Splintergraft. A Golden Splintergraft, which takes the sting out, but absolute trash nonetheless.

And yeah, I'm disappointed. I like my misinformed headcanon version of the card way better, I was already planning a deck around it. =/
    Last edited by Rynjin; 2018-07-26 at 03:31 AM.

13. - Top - End - #193
    Titan in the Playground

Hm... while that sounded like a fair point at first, I don't think that would be likely to work either. Simply because it's too much mana - Cube is 5, which means it can't be played the same turn as Star Aligner even before you add Pact or something to pop it, making the combo unreliable as heck, and sticking you with a War Golem in your deck whenever it doesn't work out. And if you get two Doomguards out via Cube and your opponent does nothing about them for a turn, odds are you've already won anyway.
    Last edited by Zevox; 2018-07-26 at 04:43 PM.

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

14. - Top - End - #194

I just realized Crystology pulls both Lynessa and Primalfin Champion, so I'm expecting it to probably show up in some kind of buff paladin deck (e.g. Quest Paladin.)
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

15. - Top - End - #195
    Firbolg in the Playground

I just realized Crystology pulls both Lynessa and Primalfin Champion, so I'm expecting it to probably show up in some kind of buff paladin deck (e.g. Quest Paladin.)
    Good call on that. It's probably one of the few situations where it'd be a better value than Call to Arms (which is mostly trash post-nerf). As someone who has tried to make buff paladin work every expansion since pulling a Golden Galvadon on day one of Ungoro, I look forward to trying this out.
    If my text is blue, I'm being sarcastic.But you already knew that, right?

16. - Top - End - #196

Yeah, CtA is what made me look at it; I was wondering if Crystology would be any good in Even Paladin. It's... not, but it's nice to think of it for this archetype instead, which I always liked better than the even/odd rushdown decks anyway.

BTW, as far as making Flarky and his 0/2 bombs work, one card I had overlooked completely was Void Ripper, which would be a cheap and easy way for a Hunter to set off all his bombs at once. Even more interestingly, Flark and VR are both odd cards, and you have the mana to drop both in one turn if you make it to endgame, need just a bit of damage to seal the deal, and they've already taken both of your Kill Commands to the face. So Odd Face Hunter could make a comeback.

Speaking of Kill Command, it strikes me that Nightmare Amalgam, on top of ALSO being Odd. is both a Beast and a Mech - so you could get some magnetize and other mech synergies going without giving up your 5 damage burst spell.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

17. - Top - End - #197
    Titan in the Playground

Oh, that's right, today's new cards.

Spoiler
    Show
    Neutral
    6: Mechanical Whelp - Reminds me of Skelemancer, which turned out not to be so good, but this one loses the "must die on your opponent's turn" restriction in exchange for +1 cost and -1/-1 to the minion it summons (and gaining the mech tag). Could succeed where Skelemancer failed, particularly in Doctor Boom Warrior decks, where it gets Rush after Boom is played.
    6: Missile Launcher - So, it's a weaker, more expensive Despicable Dreadlord that also hits your stuff, and both faces. Eh, not seeing a lot of hope for this one, unless Odd Paladin overruns the meta or something. It is magnetic too I guess, but I don't see a ton of reason you'd want to magnetize it to something else either.

Hunter
    2: Fireworks Tech - If a mech Hunter is a thing, this will be a part of it, and likely no small part of why it becomes a thing. Very competitive stats and effect.

Paladin
    2: Crystology - Two mana draw two specific cards looks good. Granted, Small-Time Recruits never quite got that good despite seeming like it should be, but 1 attack minions can be better than 1-cost minions by far - Stonehill Defender, Tar Creeper, or the new 2-mana 1/5 mech, to name a few. Will likely see play in many Paladin decks, though perhaps as a one-of in some.

Rogue
    4: Academic Espionage - This is either really good or totally worthless, with little chance of anything in between. A few of Trump's ideas for it seem feasible, like combining it with Myra's Unstable Element. It will just need testing to find out how good or bad a deck with/built around this truly is.

Shaman
    6: Eureka! - Combo card waiting to happen, except that Shaman already has a combo deck that this doesn't work with and which will be hard to dethrone from that role. I'm not seeing it as good enough as a pure value card either, particularly since pure value has never quite worked for Shaman. My expectations for this are thus low.

Warrior
    1: Eternium Rover - Solid anti-aggro 1-drop, and a body to slap magnetizes onto. Definitely a candidate for a Mech/Doctor Boom Warrior deck, though if the meta is more control-oriented it may not make the cut even if such a deck is good.
    9: The Boomship - Speaking of control metas, holy moly, a Control Warrior would love to have this bad boy in a slow enough meta. The only question is whether Control Warrior will be a thing again, and whether the meta will be slow enough to run a 9-mana card just to summon a bunch of other big cards from your hand at once. I'm pretty skeptical of that myself, but if it happens, I might well want to play that deck.

18. - Top - End - #198
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

The meme play with Missile Launcher is in Wild: a turn 8 Snowchugger -> Magnetize Missile Launcher play freezes the entire rest of the board at the end of your turn, every turn, forcing your opponent to either find a way to remove the missile-chugger or sit around doing almost nothing until the Mage finishes building whatever combo they're stalling for.

19. - Top - End - #199
    Titan in the Playground

The meme play with Missile Launcher is in Wild: a turn 8 Snowchugger -> Magnetize Missile Launcher play freezes the entire rest of the board at the end of your turn, every turn, forcing your opponent to either find a way to remove the missile-chugger or sit around doing almost nothing until the Mage finishes building whatever combo they're stalling for.
    I can't even begin how many weak points this plan has. But I'll try: hard removal, card generators (LK, Ysera), damage removal (6/7 is not THAT hard), cards that benefit from being attacked (it's not like Acolyte of Pain is uncommon), weapons (though hampered), the combo requires two cards that are terrible individually if you don't have any other synergies. Also Mech Mage finishes up combat at turn 6-7 the latest. You'd more likely use Snow Chugger before. Honestly I can see a Snowchugger into Zilliax to remove two targets or one target and freeze the enemy hero (while leeching for 10 life) but not Missile Launcher.

20. - Top - End - #200
    Titan in the Playground

On the other hand, Control Mages run Frost Nova, which only ever freezes for one turn. I think having a pair of cards that says "deal with me or be permafrozen" is pretty good. Especially since it's almost entirely weapon immune (barring a hero swap).
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

21. - Top - End - #201

Cute, but if you can't deal with one creature in Wild, you were probably dead anyway.

More likely, Missile Launcher will be a budget replacement for Baron Geddon in a couple of decks. Maybe there'll be a way to grant all mechs Lifesteal?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

22. - Top - End - #202
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Today's new cards from the gallery.
    Show
    Mage
    1: Shooting Star - Well, that's efficient for what it is. Often it's a 1-mana Arcane Explosion. The question is, does any deck want a tiny AoE like this? Barring something like Odd Paladin overrunning the meta, I have a hard time seeing this being that desirable.
    4: Cosmic Anomaly - Cool name, meh card. Granted, a lot better than any spell damage +2 card we've seen before, aside from perhaps the one-use battlecry one from this same set, but still, I don't know that spell damage on a 4-mana minion is desirable enough to make it see play.

Paladin
    2: Crystalsmith Kangor - Eh... I don't know. Paladin has liked a few healing cards at various times in its history, but right now, they're not really a big thing. Maybe if one of the unrevealed cards goes well with it it can find a place?
    5: Shrink Ray - Cool, but I can't help but think that the main thing you'd want to use this for is exactly the same as you would for Equality, which makes it not worth the +3 mana. Heck, if you have anything on the board, you'd prefer Equality to keep their attack scores up. So it only really beats Equality when used against a decently threatening enemy board but you lack the AoE to follow up and finish them off. Would you run it in addition to Equality in a Control Paladin then? ...maybe? I don't know, I'm not enthusiastic about this one, but I also don't want to write it off completely.

Priest
    6: Zerek, Master Cloner - Interesting. But aside from Power Word: Shield, what's Priest got to activate this guy with? Because it's going to take more than that to make him feasible, and I'm blanking on other good options. I mean, there's Divine Spirit and Inner Fire, but you don't want those just to activate this guy's deathrattle, you want to combo them into a kill.

Rogue
    5: Myra Rotspring - Why couldn't she have been printed back while Jade was still in standard? Ugh. At the moment, not really seeing this one. I mean, she's value, sure, but not insane value, and nothing that's simply value has ever made a deck in Rogue work.

Quote Originally Posted by Sporeegg View Post
    I can't even begin how many weak points this plan has. But I'll try: hard removal, card generators (LK, Ysera), damage removal (6/7 is not THAT hard), cards that benefit from being attacked (it's not like Acolyte of Pain is uncommon), weapons (though hampered), the combo requires two cards that are terrible individually if you don't have any other synergies. Also Mech Mage finishes up combat at turn 6-7 the latest. You'd more likely use Snow Chugger before. Honestly I can see a Snowchugger into Zilliax to remove two targets or one target and freeze the enemy hero (while leeching for 10 life) but not Missile Launcher.
    Weapons aren't a weakness - Missile Launcher hits face, so with Snowchugger's effect, no weapons are getting used. And Snowchugger isn't terrible individually, it was a Mech Mage staple.

I'll give it this much, it's the best idea I've seen for Missile Launcher. But even if it worked so well it was worth running Missile Launcher for, which I think is questionable, it's wild only, so meh, don't really care.

Cute, but if you can't deal with one creature in Wild, you were probably dead anyway.

More likely, Missile Launcher will be a budget replacement for Baron Geddon in a couple of decks. Maybe there'll be a way to grant all mechs Lifesteal?
    What decks would want a budget replacement for Baron Geddon though? Most decks don't want Baron Geddon in the first place. The only one I think I've seen him run in anytime recently is Control Mage for his synergy with Frost Lich Jaina, and Missile Launcher sure can't replace him there.

23. - Top - End - #203
    Firbolg in the Playground

Are there any poisonous mechs out there? If so watch out.

Also potential synergy with self damage warrior but I think they finally gave up on pushing that
    Last edited by Seerow; 2018-07-27 at 06:43 PM.

24. - Top - End - #204
    Ogre in the Playground

I think Shrink Ray could find it's home in Odd Paladin. Right now, Odd Paladin doesn't have access to Equality or any AoE. Odd Paladin is already good at filling up the board, and this only makes it easier for the 1/1 Recruits to trade efficiently.
    you know that I'm more than just a doll do you?-Geno
    Add me on Steam!
    Spoiler
    Show
    by Thecrimsonmage and By Shades of Gray by Akrim.elf

and current made by me.

25. - Top - End - #205
    Troll in the Playground

I like this expansion so far. I've been playing around with deck builders, and I've found it's easier to figure out what's good in control, combo, and midrange decks than aggro.

I just know that when the expansion hits I'm going to craft Electra and Flobbidinous Floop if I don't open them or get them for free. Also Malygos. Here I come, Malygos Shaman and Flobbidinous Malygos Druid!
    Quote Originally Posted by Requilac View Post
    Wow, i can’t believe it, WotC actually made the rules compatible for a situation in which an ape demon is leaping into the air to knock a vampire out of a Poylmorphed T-rex’s jaws who is flying 120 feet above the ground.
    Amazing Avatar by Smutmulch

26. - Top - End - #206
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Geno9999 View Post
    I think Shrink Ray could find it's home in Odd Paladin. Right now, Odd Paladin doesn't have access to Equality or any AoE. Odd Paladin is already good at filling up the board, and this only makes it easier for the 1/1 Recruits to trade efficiently.
    Eh, maybe? I don't know, Odd Paladin is very aggressive, and Shrink Ray is pretty blatantly a Control deck's card. It works if all they've got is 1/1s and they need to deal with some bigger things, but it's actively detrimental to Odd Paladin's board after they've dropped something like Fungalmancer, Level Up, or Scalebane. And it's a pretty big mana cost for an effect whose utility to their gameplan seems iffy.

27. - Top - End - #207

Now I wonder - does Zerek come back WITH the spells you put on it?

Quote Originally Posted by Seerow View Post
    Are there any poisonous mechs out there? If so watch out.
    Toxic Arrow?

Quote Originally Posted by Seerow View Post
    Also potential synergy with self damage warrior but I think they finally gave up on pushing that
    Now that you mention it - Sudden Genesis?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

28. - Top - End - #208
    Titan in the Playground

Me, I'm thinking of a Lab Recruiter + Fal'Dorei Strider combo. that and Pogo-Hopper. its a bit slow, but you can go infinite with it. or oooh! Lab recruiter into Star Aligner. now you have three Star aligners to fulfill the condition....now if only you could play them all on the same turn, then the three Star Aligners would all deal 7 damage, for a total of 21 to the enemy......but where would you get the way to cut the cost?
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

29. - Top - End - #209
    Titan in the Playground

Now I wonder - does Zerek come back WITH the spells you put on it?
    I can't imagine it does. If it did, it would say so, like how that Paladin legendary spell specifies that the mechs it revives keep Magnetize buffs.

30. - Top - End - #210
    Troll in the Playground

Reckless Experimenter on 5 into Mecanical Whelp and Cube on 6 then trade one whelp is a turn 7 Star Aligner combo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Requilac View Post
    Wow, i can’t believe it, WotC actually made the rules compatible for a situation in which an ape demon is leaping into the air to knock a vampire out of a Poylmorphed T-rex’s jaws who is flying 120 feet above the ground.
    Amazing Avatar by Smutmulch