New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 27 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Default Re: The Northlands Saga - Spears in the Ice IC

Heltinne Thrainsdottir, Speaker of Spirits

Heltinne bowed her head thanks for the Jarl’s response. When it was time to depart, she stopped by the smith to receive a well-crafted spear before joining the others. ”My thanks, Master Smith. May my arm and aim bring honor to your gift.”

The decision was made to try the hills first, partially on Heltinne’s recommendation. She knew most of the area had been cleared out, and as such would make a perfect home for a murderer on the run. However, once the group had entered the hills and were searching for a bit, she paused and held up a hand to halt the group. Stepping from the path, she moved over to a set of rocks and pulled a small tuft of fur from the edge. Sniffing it delicately, Heltinne crinkles her nose. Casting about, she glanced at the ground, letting out a grunt of frustration when she found what she was looking for. “Damn the luck, but I found troll-sign ... fur and tracks. Best we look around and see if these are real, or tricks by our quarry to drive hunters away. Quickly, before darkness ...if there are real trolls, we don’t want to be stumbling around after sunset.”

Peer about for tracks and see if they are real.
    Spoiler: Status
    Show
    AC 14 HP 9 Init +1 Move 30
    F +1 R +1 W +3
    Weapon: lME ongspear (+3, 1d8+3), Morningstar (+2, 1d8+2/3)
    Spells (Unl/3): ghost sound, mage hand, guidance, create water, detect magic, spark / cure light wounds, bless, obscuring mist
    SLA: 1/1, Ice armor: 1hr
    Key skills: Perception +6; Sense Motive +5; Diplomacy +7; Heal +7; Spellcraft +4; KS Religion +4; KS Geography +5; KS History +4
    Effect: Child of Winter (+2 Initiative/Reflex; endure elements vs cold; no penalty on ice; 1/2 pen deep snow); ER 5 vs cold, acid, electricity
    Life is ... life. As always bot/cut as necessary.
    DM: "Why do you have so many characters?"
    Me: "Because I never embraced the strategic value of running away."

Fare thee well, N_R ... you will missed!y

2. - Top - End - #182
    Ettin in the Playground

White That Walks stoops down inspecting the trollsigns in the failing light. Indeed it looks quite fresh no more than an hour or two ago that a single troll has been in the area. The tracks indicate that it has come into the hills area from the Moors to the north. After wallowing in the muddy depression it has clambered out and wandered off deeper into the hills...directly where you are planning to head in your search for Styr.

Spoiler: next steps?
    Show
    Camp or investigate?

3. - Top - End - #183
    Barbarian in the Playground

Planetar

White That Walks - Nuk Bear Shaman

The Nuk calls for a halt as Brother, his polar bear companion, stops to sniff at a muddy depression. We follow one of the jotun's twisted spawn's trail. The abomination is ahead of us, where we go to track Styr the Ugly. Be on your guard, for night falls.

OOC - WTW's vote is to continue/investigate, but he requires less sleep than the nordlings.
    Last edited by atlastrembles; 2019-10-04 at 08:59 AM.

4. - Top - End - #184
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"We definately don't want to fight a troll at night," Bjorn said, "I think it's best if we find a defensible campsite and search further in the morning."

Adding act to thought, he started looking around for a good campsite.
    Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett

"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
    "I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute."

5. - Top - End - #185
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Heltinne shrugged, seemingly undaunted at the prospect of fighting a troll after dark. She nodded her head towards the others, saying, ”Lead on, then. To camp and rest, for monsters await our spears and blades on the morrow.”

OK with setting up camp somewhere - perhaps an unused cave?
    Show
    F +1 R +1 W +3
    Weapon: lME ongspear (+3, 1d8+3), Morningstar (+2, 1d8+2/3)
    Spells (Unl/3): ghost sound, mage hand, guidance, create water, detect magic, spark / cure light wounds, bless, obscuring mist
    Key skills: Perception +6; Sense Motive +5; Diplomacy +7; Heal +7; Spellcraft +4; KS Religion +4; KS Geography +5; KS History +4
    Effect: Child of Winter (+2 Initiative/Reflex; endure elements vs cold; no penalty on ice; 1/2 pen deep snow); ER 5 vs cold, acid, electricity

6. - Top - End - #186
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Bjorn looked at the two Nuks. While he had been out in the forest and hills before, he wouldn't call himself an expert in survival in those environments. The two elves most likely had a lot more experience in finding good shelter and food, although they had brought rations with them.

"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett

7. - Top - End - #187
    Titan in the Playground

Freyja

Freyja looks at the Nuk as he searches the rough trail. "A troll... It may be prudent to wait for the light. Better we can see when they come rather than battle such a thing in dark." She looks about the others, "I have not seen such a beast before, have any of you faced such creatures."
    Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

8. - Top - End - #188
    Ettin in the Playground

You find a suitable place to make camp, a sheltered stony depression some distance away from the boggy area. As you scout the immediate area for threats and check the lay of the land Signy searches the area for herbs and plants useful for her cunning woman rituals. Amid the scraggly grasses and scrubby trees she finds nothing.

Despite the earlier signs indicating that a troll has entered the recently-cleared hills there is no further trace of the beast. You settle in, picket the horses, and the night passes peacefully. There is one incident of note, during Freyja's watch. The giant-blooded spear maiden had clambered atop a large rock to better gaze out across the rocky slopes and at the stars in the cool air above.

Nestled in the hills some miles away she detects the telltale flicker of a small campfire. Eventually the flame dims and goes dark, but it might be something else to investigate come the morning...

The new day dawns cool and clear. You break camp and ready yourselves for the days hunt.

Spoiler: comments
    Show
    Signy Herbalism (1d20+4)[8]

Feel free to tell me what any routine camp/ watch arrangements might be. In this instance it's not going to be material but in the future it might be.

9. - Top - End - #189
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"Okay, where to now," Bjorn asked as soon as they were ready to move on, "let's keep an eye out for any trolls that might run around as well."

10. - Top - End - #190
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Heltinne gave thanks to the gods before bed, with special attention to Freyja and the spirits of winter. She volunteered for the last watch so she could greet the dawn. When it was time to wake the others, she had already broken down most of the camp and prepared a simple breakfast. When the group was ready to move out, she followed, eyes always on the horizon, scanning for threats. While she spoke with anyone talking to her, she didn’t seem inclined to start a conversation.

- I listed Hel’s routines above. Ready to press!
    Show
    F +1 R +1 W +3
    Weapon: MW longspear (+3, 1d8+3), Morningstar (+2, 1d8+2/3)

11. - Top - End - #191
    Ogre in the Playground

Mørkedrømevandrer

Slicking his hair back with blood from a fresh kill as he turns the spit over the fire, two fresh rabbits offering their flesh to sustain warriors in a hard day's work, the Wanderer considers the course of their journey and what that might signify.

"Were I a blood-thief coward hiding from the iron price, I might litter my trail with troll-spoor to throw off any pursuit. Perhaps our minds-eye would be well served to seek for truths among the filth we find around us."

Once another is sufficiently risen to handle the preparation of the morning's meal, the Nuk lives up to his name and wanders off, eyes scanning the ground for any sign of what might lie ahead, or what might lead them on their journey.

Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    (1d20+6)[21] Survival

12. - Top - End - #192

Planetar

White That Walks

Rising with a yawn echoed by his polar bear companion, White That Walks performs a few calisthenics in the early morning air, limbering up for the day's journey. Feeding Brother some jerky, he listens to Mørkedrømevandrer's musing as he casts his eye about as well.

Troll or coward, neither will escape the consequences of their actions. One may well lead to another.

13. - Top - End - #193
    Ettin in the Playground

Mørkedrømevandrer searches the ground for any further signs of activity as the rest of the group rises and prepares to depart. The ground is stony and hard, and will make for slow progress if the horses are to avoid risk. Nevertheless you should be able to make it to the observed campsite within an hour or so should you wish. It seems that the troll has also wandered in that direction judging by the occasional large footprint, scratched rock and tufts of coarse hair.

14. - Top - End - #194
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Heltinne shrugs at the commentary. ”Let your mind’s eye lead on then, Nuk. The daylight waits for no one, and the distance gets no shorter.” The Oracle nudged her horse in the direction indicated and settled in to follow the trackers.

Moving out - scanning the horizon for signs of ambush - Perception - (1d20+6)[21]
    Show
    AC 14 HP 9 Init +1 (+3) Move 30
    F +1 R +1 (+3) W +3

15. - Top - End - #195
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Bjorn followed the trackers as well, weapons ready.
    "If there is a troll and we encounter it, we'll have to take it down," he said, "but our primary goal is the criminal."
    That would be something to boast about at a feast, he thought, bringing the criminal to justice and clearing out some trolls. Well, only one, at least he hoped so, as he'd rather not go against a full pack. His father had taught him to be brave, but he had also taught him to be smart. Getting killed for nothing didn't bring any glory.

16. - Top - End - #196
    Titan in the Playground

Freyja

The giantess looks about, her spear resting on her shoulder as she surveys the scene. "I like the mountains. I prefer the sea and the wind in my sails" she pauses to take a deep breath of air, "But I like this" She walks happily beside the horses, her feet covering the ground just as swiftly as the horses as she hefts her shield and spear.

17. - Top - End - #197
    Ettin in the Playground

You head off in the direction of the campsite that you saw during the evening. Even now you can still make out the telltale wisps of smoke indicating it still burns low in the canyons ahead. From the troll spoor about you are clearly not the only ones to have noticed the campsite and you deduce that he troll must also be drawn to the campers ahead.

As you draw close to the site you spy movement in the rocks ahead. There is a clatter of loose stones and you see a burly 7-ft swamp troll turning toward you from where it hid among the boulders. The large hulking brute has long, thick arms and legs, both of which end in sharpened and filthy claws. Its body is covered with moss and fungus, and its hair is dark brownish-green. Large, upward-curving fangs jut from its lower jaw. Evidently it was trying to get into position to ambush those in the nearby campsite.

Spoiler: info & rolls
    Show
    Perception vs Hide DC6 to roll initiative in surprise round
    DDW (1d20+7)[11]
    Freyja (1d20-1)[1]
    WTW (1d20+7)[12]
    Brother (1d20+5)[12]
    Heltinne (1d20+6)[22]
    Bjorn (1d20+1)[21]
    Signy (1d20)[6]

Initiative
    DDW (1d20+2)[16]
    Freyja (1d20+1)[17]
    WTW (1d20+4)[18]
    Heltinne (1d20+1)[21]
    Bjorn (1d20+6)[8]
    Signy (1d20+1)[13]
    Swamp Troll (1d20+2)[20]

I make it that everyone except Freyja & WTW are mounted, please let me know if I have this wrong.

Swamp troll is 80ft away. Gentle slope. No charging.

Knowledge/ Lore to ID
    Freyja (1d20+4)[19]
    Freyja knows that this swamp troll has minor regeneration (acid or fire) as long as it hasn't been away from swamp environments for more than a couple of days.

=> Heltinne
    (surprise round so one move or standard action only)
    Last edited by Ghostfoot; 2019-10-27 at 05:18 AM.

18. - Top - End - #198
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Normally, in a surprise round you get either a standard or move action - is it different here?

Heltinne saw the troll turn towards the group and she froze for a moment. As soon as she saw the beast start to move, she raised her spear and free hand and called upon the gods of the north. ”The gods of winter watch over you, as do your ancestors. Prove yourself worthy of their gaze!”

Presuming she can take a standard action, Heltinne will cast bless on the group.
    Show
    F +1 R +1 (+3) W +3
    Spells (Unl/2): ghost sound, mage hand, guidance, create water, detect magic, spark / cure light wounds, bless, obscuring mist

19. - Top - End - #199
    Ettin in the Playground

Heltinne's words fill you with courage. The monstrous creature bellows in rage at being disturbed by your group. Flexing it's long arms it lopes towards you, taloned hands outstretched...

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Swamp troll
    Move action: advance 30ft

Spoiler: Map
    Show

Your icon is "large" sized if you are mounted (or if you are a giant like Freyja!)

=> Party
    Surprise round so one move or standard action only (except Heltinne, who wraps into first round of proper combat & gets her normal rounds worth of actions).
    Post in any order.

20. - Top - End - #200
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Bjorn quickly dismounted and let the reins of his horse fall on the ground. Except when the troll would break through them, the horse was trained to treat reins on the ground the same as being tied to a post. With his shield and axe ready he stood at the front of the group, ready to kill his first troll.

21. - Top - End - #201
    Titan in the Playground

Freyja

The giantess looks at the troll with disgust. "Ware that beast. We may need fire to finish it truly." Setting her spear firmly between two rocks she waves to the others. "Get back, get behind me. Use your bows and keep from its claws." She levels the long spear in front of her bracing for the inevitable impact from a running troll.

Spoiler: Freyja
    Show

Brace the spear

22. - Top - End - #202

Planetar

White That Walks

Upon sighting the troll, the white-hooded Nuk places his hand on his bear, whispering a short prayer. The polar bear snuffs at the ground and lets out a defiant roar. Still not full grown, it's not quite as terrifying as it could be, but there is real strength behind the small ursine's voice. Together, they take up position behind Heltinne, guarding her flanks a step behind her. White That Walks draws a torch and carries a dark pinewood shield on Heltinne's left. The bear hunches and paces, ready to pounce on her right.

Watching the troll warily as it nears, White That Walks sets to light the torch.

We are with you, shieldmaiden. Claw and flame to tear and cleanse. Stand strong.

Spoiler: Mechanics
    Show
    Standard Action - Cast Virtue on the Bear for +1 HP.

Move Action - Take up position on Heltinne's flanks, five feet back from her/behind her. WTW on her left, Bear on her right.

Free Action - Draw a torch. Next round I'll light it.

23. - Top - End - #203
    Ettin in the Playground

With words of courage, your group stands ready and prepares for the oncoming troll...

=> Mørkedrømevandrer (move or standard action only) & Heltinne

24. - Top - End - #204
    Ogre in the Playground

Mørkedrømevandrer

With a grim focus the Wanderer pulls out his bow, knees carefully holding his mount in place for the moment while he aims and looses an arrow.

Show
    (1d20+3)[10] to hit for (1d8)[1] damage

(1d20+2)[22] ride check DC5 if needed to control mount with my knees

25. - Top - End - #205
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

With the blessings upon her companions, Heltinne slipped down from her horse and planted her longspear as well, a fierce grin lighting up her nearly angelic face. ”Fell the troll first ... fire will follow. ”

Dismount and brace ...
    Show
    F +1 R +1 (+3) W +3
    Spells (Unl/2 of 3): ghost sound, mage hand, guidance, create water, detect magic, spark / cure light wounds, bless, obscuring mist
    Effect: Child of Winter (+2 Initiative/Reflex; endure elements vs cold; no penalty on ice; 1/2 pen deep snow); ER 5 vs cold, acid, electricity; Bless (+1 att, save vs fear; on group, 9 rounds)

26. - Top - End - #206
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Bjorn decided to wait together with the others for the troll to come to him instead of charging it himself.

27. - Top - End - #207
    Ettin in the Playground

The gangly troll emits another low bellow, stones crunching as it lopes forwards across the rocks. Dark Dream Wanderer's arrow flies wide as he shoot from horseback, the huge creature bearing down on him talons outstretched...

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Troll double moves to close with DDW + horse.

=> Party
    + any AoO's as appropriate
    (post in any order. I'll resolve in order of posting unless you indicate otherwise)
    Last edited by Ghostfoot; 2019-11-09 at 08:29 PM.

28. - Top - End - #208
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

With a warcry, Bjorn moved closer and attacked the troll. The faster they could bring it down, the better it was. The people at the other campfire had heard it and if they were the criminals they were looking for, they would move out, so the faster they could give chase, the better it was.

Spoiler: OOC rolls
    Show

I first take a move action to get in close combat with the troll (square T15 on the map), then 1 attack.

attack: (1d20+6)[19]

damage: (1d8+3)[4]

if crit: (1d20+6)[24]

damage if crit: (3d8+9)[21]
    Last edited by farothel; 2019-11-09 at 04:38 PM.

29. - Top - End - #209
    Titan in the Playground

Freyja

The giantess braces for the impact as the troll lumbers to her Nuk ally. Even as it runs past the spear she thrusts deeply towards its flank before driving the spear forward a second time, a cry of "For Odin!" on her lips as she tries to push it back from the brave Nuk who had saved them from the hordes of undead.

Spoiler: Freyja
    Show

AoO: (1d20+8)[18] dam (2d6+4)[9]
    Attack (1d20+8)[12] dam (2d6+4)[12]

Hps 12/12
    AC 17
    Saves +4/1/1

Effects: Bless

30. - Top - End - #210
    Ogre in the Playground

Mørkedrømevandrer

In the face of the monster, the Wanderer slips from the back of his horse and takes a careful step around the beast, dropping his bow at his feet and unslinging the mighty new blade from his back. With a powerful surge he brings the blade around arcing at the back of the troll!

Show
    Dismount to T15, 5-foot step to S16.

Quickdraw Hægtesse, and attack!

(1d20+5)[10] to hit for (2d6+6)[17]