New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Default Next book to be announced July 23

From latest fireside chat with Nathan Stewart on Twitch.

Also worth noting:

They seem to have developed alt-covers (possibly Hydra-done) for the PHB, DMG and MM. More news on that on July 16.

Lava Children, nightmare fuel from 1e fiend folio, are evidently in the Undermountain adventure.

They posted a partial statblock for Jarxyl from Dragon Heist.

They also showed a picture of a bat-like humanoid as a new monster. I have forgotten its name.

EDIT: So this is the fourth 2018 book, in case that wasn't clear, that they'll be announcing

That's it for spoilers. Speculate away.
    Last edited by Beechgnome; 2018-07-06 at 07:02 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Banned

Planetar

Default Re: Next book to be announced July 23

I want a Draconomicon. Speculation aside, give me Gem Dragons, Ferrous Dragons, Planar Dragons, Lung Dragons, Dragon Spells, Dragon Flavoured Archetypes, Dragon flavoured Feats (and replacements for Spellcasting), Draconic Advancement past Ancient, Treasure hordes, maps, in depth discussion on tactics and likely spells, new Templates for Dragons.

Failing that, a Lords of Madness, Fiend Folio, or Undead flavoured one, or actual Mass Battle rules.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Beechgnome View Post
    Lava Children, nightmare fuel from 1e fiend folio, are evidently in the Undermountain adventure.
    1e Lava Children were weird -- like, metal just passed right through them, and they passed through metal -- but I don't particularly associate them with nightmare fuel.

Not like Meenlocks or Nilbogs, which were legit nightmares.

4. - Top - End - #4

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    1e Lava Children were weird -- like, metal just passed right through them, and they passed through metal -- but I don't particularly associate them with nightmare fuel.

Not like Meenlocks or Nilbogs, which were legit nightmares.
    It was the art for me. Like cherubs.well in reverse.
    Last edited by Beechgnome; 2018-07-06 at 07:19 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

It was the art for me. Like cherubs.well in reverse.
    Ah, so it's the thing where they look like huge clawed special needs children.

Yeah I can see that being disturbing.

6. - Top - End - #6

PirateGuy

Can someone post the partial stat block for jaraxle?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

From latest fireside chat with Nathan Stewart on Twitch.

Also worth noting:

They seem to have developed alt-covers (possibly Hydra-done) for the PHB, DMG and MM. More news on that on July 16.

They posted a partial statblock for Jarxyl from Dragon Heist.

They also showed a picture of a bat-like humanoid as a new monster. I have forgotten its name.

EDIT: So this is the fourth 2018 book, in case that wasn't clear, that they'll be announcing

That's it for spoilers. Speculate away.
    Well there goes my money...especially since I have a crap binding on my personal PHB.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

If your PHB is falling apart you can contact WotC customer services and they will send you a self addressed stamped envelope to return your book. They will then send you a replacement free of charge. Nathan even mentions this on the show.

The show can be found here: twitch.tv/videos/281549567 (can't post links yet), VODs are free to watch.

Jarlaxle's stats can be seen around the 36:30 mark but the statblock cuts off after the CR so they only show the AC, HP, ability scores and proficiencies. Looks like his AC might be 14 (+3 leather) + 6 (Dex) + 4 (Cha).

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Personally I'd like another Xanathar's-type PHB expansion. We've had MToF as a MM expansion and we have 2 adventures coming out so I'd really like a book mostly composed of player options, since those are the most exciting things for me to read personally.

Failing that I'd be down for something like a Dragonomicon or something.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

I really like something similar to Volo's, where it fleshes out the world and lore for specific monster groups. I dug that.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Halfling in the Playground

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by swamp_slug View Post
    If your PHB is falling apart you can contact WotC customer services and they will send you a self addressed stamped envelope to return your book. They will then send you a replacement free of charge. Nathan even mentions this on the show.
    What about bad printing? About half of the headers in my PHB the bolded print is not aligned, making them look blurry. It is especially noticable when one page is printed correctly, but the opposite page isn't.

12. - Top - End - #12

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Wisefool View Post
    What about bad printing? About half of the headers in my PHB the bolded print is not aligned, making them look blurry. It is especially noticable when one page is printed correctly, but the opposite page isn't.
    Ugh, I have that with my PHB - bought it only a few weeks ago. It irks me to no end, especially because on some pages it's so bad that the letters look as if they're supposed to be read with those oldschool 3D glasses.

I doubt there's anything you can do about it, as I suspect it's not a matter of misprinting but just bad outlining of the headers. If that's the case, then even if you were to get a new copy, it'd most like have the same issue.

We could check that. In my copy of the PHB, the following pages are especially bad: 258, 263, 266, 271, 274, 276. Can anyone confirm or deny this with their own book?
    Just remember... if the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Bugbear in the Playground

I'll take more class options. Maybe a stronghold builders and followers guidebook type of thing

14. - Top - End - #14

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Maelynn View Post
    We could check that. In my copy of the PHB, the following pages are especially bad: 258, 263, 266, 271, 274, 276. Can anyone confirm or deny this with their own book?
    In my book, the misprinted headers appear in every Class except the first three (Barb, Bard, Cleric) and then again at the start of Chapter 4 Personality and Background, ending on the Acolyte page. None of the pages you listed are misprinted in my book. So that suggests to me the misprinted pages got randomly inserted into all of the books instead of appearing in from start to finish in select books.

Want to trade books? I am always checking out the Class abilities section and barely look at the Spells, lol

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Imp

With his HPs just superior to the one of a CR5-6 monster, a +6 to DEX, and his magic item, Jaralaxl would pretty much be a pretty fragile Fragile Speedster type if he faced opponents of a lvl close to his CR of 15.

Given the PCs are likely going to be lvl 5 at most in Dragon Heist, he'll be a nightmare.

16. - Top - End - #16

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Unoriginal View Post
    With his HPs just superior to the one of a CR5-6 monster, a +6 to DEX, and his magic item, Jaralaxl would pretty much be a pretty fragile Fragile Speedster type if he faced opponents of a lvl close to his CR of 15.

Given the PCs are likely going to be lvl 5 at most in Dragon Heist, he'll be a nightmare.
    Thanks for posting info on him. For years now we've been wanting updated stats on Salvatores characters and items. Just for giggles mostly.

17. - Top - End - #17

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Wisefool View Post
    In my book, the misprinted headers appear in every Class except the first three (Barb, Bard, Cleric) and then again at the start of Chapter 4 Personality and Background, ending on the Acolyte page. None of the pages you listed are misprinted in my book. So that suggests to me the misprinted pages got randomly inserted into all of the books instead of appearing in from start to finish in select books.

Want to trade books? I am always checking out the Class abilities section and barely look at the Spells, lol
    Damn, well that's definitely a misprint issue then. The Class sections don't seem to have it in my copy.

As for trading, your copy sounds worse than mine. I think I'll keep my copy and be a tad more appreciative of it. ;)
    Just remember... if the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Degwerks View Post
    Thanks for posting info on him. For years now we've been wanting updated stats on Salvatores characters and items. Just for giggles mostly.
    I'll post the pic of his stat they have shown when I get home, then.

19. - Top - End - #19

PirateGuy

I'll post the pic of his stat they have shown when I get home, then.
    That'll be much appreciated, thank you.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

I was only partially paying attention to the stream, but I was reasonably certain that Nathan said the new book would include information for different settings. Plural. Did i hear him correctly?

21. - Top - End - #21

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by randomodo View Post
    I was only partially paying attention to the stream, but I was reasonably certain that Nathan said the new book would include information for different settings. Plural. Did i hear him correctly?
    I'd have to listen again. I think when he referred to the next book and 2019 books he referred to settings in the plural. One thing that did stick out was he said when the announcement happens on July 23 that it would be one of many things announced or possibly released that day. Which I took to mean either: an opening up of content on DMGuild or possibly even a release like the Elemental Evil player's accessory.
    Part-time DM, part-time player in 5e. I aim to be reasonable.
    Homebrews on the stove (5e):

Wizard School: Black Magic
    Druid Circle of the Many
    Druid Circle of the Silver Moon
    Bard College of the Chord

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Imp

Sorry, it took a while longer than I thought it would, but here's Jarlaxle:

Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #23

PirateGuy

Sorry, it took a while longer than I thought it would, but here's Jarlaxle:

Spoiler
    Show
    Thanks a lot sir!

24. - Top - End - #24

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Maelynn View Post
    Damn, well that's definitely a misprint issue then. The Class sections don't seem to have it in my copy.

As for trading, your copy sounds worse than mine. I think I'll keep my copy and be a tad more appreciative of it. ;)
    I submitted the issue to WotC with pictures and they responded the next day that they would send me a replacement PHB. I didn't see their response until now because it got bounced to my Spam folder. So you should definitely look into it!

25. - Top - End - #25

BlueKnightGuy

What I want: more (mundane) weapons, more weapon feats, more fighting styles, more non-spell options, more non-FR settings.

What I'll probably get: more spells, more FR.

What I'll settle for: more monsters, as long as we can cut the "this monster is evil because it follows evil gods" cliche.
    Methods & Madness - my D&D 5e /OSR /game design blog.
    *5e: easy survival rules. Bringing balance to the Forge (yup!). Fort/Ref/Will.
    *OSR: One page hacks, my answer to retroclones. Would love to take ONE PAGE from YOUR book!
    *3e x 4e x 5e - Can you trip an ooze? Are miniatures required?