New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default Writing a usable (and decent) baseline for Auramancers?

So, the three major aura classes (Dragon Shaman, Marshal, and Divine Mind) are all... kind of terrible. Now, I'm not here to discuss whether auras are even good class abilities, whether passives are boring, or some third thing. I'm looking for suggestions in creating a decent set of baseline rules for the classes to follow. Because that's the other thing, the progression on auras is usually weak and different across all three classes. Their range varies, from two different fixed numbers to an extremely small range that grows with level progression. How they progress is inconsistent, either being level based (and never the same levels between two classes) or ability score based. I want to iron this all out so that the rules are consistent (if homebrew). My ideas so far:

• All base Aura distances are 30ft. Whether this gets larger or not is TBD.
    • All Auras are activated as swift actions and deactivated as free actions.
    • All Auras should improve with level, but should in some way benefit from an ability score.

I really appreciate the help.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

I for one support the Gnoman Empire.

Spoiler: Build Contests
    Show

E6 Iron Chef XVI Shared First Place: Black Wing

E6 Iron Chef XXI Shared Second Place: The Shadow's Hand

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Writing a usable (and decent) baseline for Auramancers?

You'll should probably also establish the base number of auras that can be maintained simultaneously.
    “No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style.” ― Steven Brust
    "In God we trust. All others we investigate." - United States Army Military Police Corps
    My thanks to Komodo for the excellent Avatar.
    Check out BSR's Improved Sorcerer project.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BowStreetRunner View Post
    You'll should probably also establish the base number of auras that can be maintained simultaneously.
    Good point. Again, another point not agreed on. One, two of different types, or three? I'm inclined to allow at least three as you go up in level, probably even before level 20.
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

Show

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

The least bad attempt at an aura-based class I've seen is the 4e Skald, which is a subclass of 4e's take on the Bard.

To oversimplify a bit, the Skald had an aura that was expected to be constantly active. Many of their powers basically gave the aura some kind of effect for the encounter or until you switched it, and those effects were usually triggered upon the Skald making a basic attack. Also, a certain number of times per encounter, the Skald or any of the Skald's allies in the aura could spend an action to either heal themselves or to heal an adjacent ally, which is distinct from the 4e standard of "only the leader can spend actions to heal people but they can do it at range."

The Skald still fell down as a class because their basic attacks were boring and inefficient even if they did trigger some minor effects in the aura, but the basic idea is salvageable. Especially since the idea of a "basic attack" in 3.5 is just a regular attack rather than "an attack that can't do anything interesting and that is being used instead of a cool encounter power." Having the auramancer's attacks do things for people in the aura is neat, honestly (something something Martial Spirit), and I also like the idea of an aura that allows allies in the aura to spend their actions in new ways. Maybe work with that a bit?
    Last edited by Zaq; 2018-07-13 at 02:08 AM.
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Basically, the problem with aura classes is that having an aura is NOT a substitute for having a thing to do in combat.

Auras are mostly just a weak bonus of some kind. There's nothing bad about getting another bonus. The bad part is when you get a small bonus instead of a decisive action which ends an encounter.

So, the answer to making a good aura class might be: start with a good class, then add some auras.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Firbolg in the Playground

I started an attempt at this years ago. One of the things I did that I still feel is a good idea is having the ability to focus an aura. So you could spend an action to enhance an aura for one Ally, or to remove it from all allies and give a much stronger version to one Ally.

I'd also do some debuffing auras, to impose penalties on enemies.

As far as number of auras I'd say 3 is minimum. I'd start with 2 and maybe an extra every 6-8 levels. Think how many passive buffs a cleric or Bard can put off at high level. You need to match or exceed that.
    If my text is blue, I'm being sarcastic.But you already knew that, right?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Here's a good rule of thumb for making Auramancers relevant as Player Characters. If the exact same effect can be accomplished by choosing an Auramancer Cohort through use of the Leadership feat and having that Cohort stand around in the vicinity of the PCs during combat but doing absolutely nothing else, then that class pretty much falls flat as a PC class.

Having an Auramancer in the group just to gain the area effect seems like something that could better be accomplished by an item, a spell, or an NPC. It's the sort of thing that would be a great addition to a familiar/animal companion/special mount. A Player Character should be all about the actions they take during the encounter. When those actions have little to do with their primary ability, it takes a lot of the fun out of the class.

For a lot of these characters there is an initial decision to determine which aura to radiate. Then they go hack and slash or take other actions that any NPC could perform, with none of the dramatic flare of the normal PC mechanics. The only thing they need to do is keep positioning themselves where the rest of the party continues to get the benefit of the aura. They are like a standard-bearer or a torch-bearer for the party and that's all.
    “No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style.” ― Steven Brust
    "In God we trust. All others we investigate." - United States Army Military Police Corps

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

I feel like the marshal's auras are largely fine as a secondary class feature, but struggle as the focus of a class. In a previous game I DM'd, I gave marshals access to crusader maneuvers and stances at a slower progression (basically used the bard spell progression as a model and capped things at 6th-level maneuvers and stances from the White Raven, Stone Dragon and Devoted Spirit disciplines), changed the grant move action to 1/encounter instead of 1/day and made it a move action instead of a standard, and allowed her to project multiple minor auras at once at levels 7, 14 and 19 and multiple major auras at once at levels 10 and 20. I made an NPC with the class and it seemd fine balance-wise, but none of my players tried the class, so it's a bit hard to say for sure.

That doesn't really answer your question, though. If I wanted to make something that was JUST an auramancer... well, to me, the auras would need to be significant enough to be worthwhile, and would need to do something more interesting than just passive bonuses. (Not that passive bonuses are bad, per se, but they aren't really enough to make a class out of... they should be one option, not every option.) Think about auras that can fundamentally alter an encounter: auras that grant flight or incorporeality, auras that turn your party giant or tiny or invisible, auras that grant telepathy or haste or fire shield-style effects. Think about auras that link everyone's lifeforce together, so that people are sharing one pool of HP, or auras that let everybody share skills, so that suddenly the whole party is as sneaky as the thief and as charismatic as the paladin.

You could even turn it into an interesting mechanic that lets you use the auras offensively: perhaps the aura of luck gives your party re-rolls, or you can turn it around and force your enemies to roll twice and take the lower option. Maybe the aura of free movement that lets your party move unhindered can instead force your enemies to treat their area as though it were difficult terrain. The aura of haste becomes an aura of slow, or the aura of telepathy can instead become an aura of telepathic static. This gives some flexibility to your auramancer, so that when they select an aura it has a dual purpose and keeps them from being a one trick pony or solely a passive class.

I think you could make an interesting and decent class just focused on auras like these, but you would pretty much have to build it from the ground up. My immediate thought: make nine levels of auras, have them selected like maneuvers (including the ability to swap them out and ToB's approach to multiclassing), include some class features such as the eventual ability to use multiple auras at once and maybe some minor defensive or martial class features, depending on how you want to build things out. Treat the auras basically like stances in activation and use, and look into stances and spells to get ideas for interesting ones. Make each aura able to be used either as a boost to your party or a debuff to your opponent. Have them learn two auras at first level and one new aura at each subsequent level. Add some feats to augment auras further: feats that increase any numeric bonuses they provide, or that let you alter the energy type, or let you change auras as an immediate action once per encounter. That kind of thing.

So for example, I might make some auras like this (just a sampling of some random ones, there should be way more than just this):

LEVEL ONE:
    Aura of War: Allies gain +1/4 AL (min +1) to all attack and damage rolls OR foes receive -1/4 AL (min -1) to all attack and damage rolls.

Aura of Hardiness: Allies gain +1/4 AL (min +1) to all saving throws OR foes receive -1/4 (min -1) to all saving throws.

Cavalry's Charge: Allies receive +AL damage on a charge OR allies can make opposed Strength or Dexterity checks to negate a charge.

Aura of Vigilance: Allies gain +1/2 AL (min +1) to Listen and Spot checks OR foes receive -1/2 AL (min -1) to Listen and Spot checks.

LEVEL TWO:
    Fog of War: Allies gain concealment OR allies gain the Blind-Fight feat.

Aura of Swiftness: Allies get +10' movement speed to all movement modes OR foes take a -10' movement speed penalty (to a minimum of 5' per round).

Aura of Readiness: Allies gain +5 to their initiative checks OR foes receive -5 to their initiative checks, can be used as an immediate action.

Giant's Aura: Allies receive the effects of an enlarge person spell OR allies receive the effects of a reduce person spell.

LEVEL THREE:
    Salamander's Skin: Allies gain fire resistance 10 + 1/2 AL OR any creature striking an ally with its body or a handheld weapon takes 1d6 + AL fire damage.

Aura of Freedom: Allies receive the benefits of a freedom of movement spell OR foes treat the terrain as difficult terrain.

Shade's Aura, Lesser: Allies are treated as invisible (attacking negates this as per the invisibility spell) OR foes are outlined as though by a faerie fire spell.

Aura of Speed: Allies receive the effects of a haste spell OR foes receive the effects of a slow spell.

Aura of Singlemindedness: Allies can communicate telepathically OR foes have telepathy suppressed while within range.

LEVEL FOUR:
    Aura of Flight: Allies can fly 30' (good maneuverability) OR foes have their flight maneuverability reduced by two stages.

....and so on, don't really want to map out nine levels of auras. But here are some potential higher level ones:

LEVEL EIGHT:
    Aura of the Archons: Allies receive the benefit of a holy aura/unholy aura/cloak of chaos/shield of law spell OR foes of an opposing alignment must make a Will saving throw to approach you as though affected by a repulsion spell.

Adamantine Skin: Allies receive DR 20/adamantine OR allies ignore hardness and damage reduction on all attacks.

Earth's Tremors: Allies gain the earth glide special ability OR foes must make a Reflex save at the beginning of each turn or fall prone.

Aura of Strong Mind: Allies receive the benefits of a mind blank spell OR foes have their mind blank suppressed.

Aura of Magic Suppression: All magic other than this aura is suppressed as though by an antimagic field within the range of this aura.

LEVEL NINE:
    Shade's Aura, Greater: Allies and their equipment become ethereal OR foes must make a Will save or be shunted onto the astral plane.

Aura of Forewarning: Allies may always act in the surprise round, are never flat-footed and receive +1/2 IL insight bonus to AC and saving throws OR foes are always considered flat-footed and receive a -1/2 IL penalty to AC and saving throws.

The Restless Dead: Allies who fall in combat are temporarily resurrected as though by a true resurrection spell for ten rounds, after which time they fall dead as normal OR foes who fall in combat immediately arise as a skeleton or zombie under your control for ten rounds.

Nature's Fury: Allies can assume the form of an animal, elemental or plant creature with HD equal to or lower than your AL as a swift action, and can change forms each round OR the elements turn against your foes, battering them with wind and hail (5d6 points of bludgeoning damage each round), grappling them with vines and stones (grapple checks as though made by a huge creature with a BAB equal to your AL), making ranged attacks impossible, disrupting spellcasting and giving all creatures more than 5' away total concealment.
    Optimization Showcase in the Playground

Former projects:
    Shadowcaster Handbook
    Archer Build Compendium

Iron Chef Awards!
    Spoiler
    Show

GOLD
    IC LXXVI: Talos
    IC LXXV: Alphonse Louise Constant
    IC XLIX: Babalon, Queen of Bones
    IC XLV: Dead Mists
    IC XL: Lycus Blackbeak
    IC XXXIX: AM-1468
    IC XXXV: Parsifal the Fool
    IC XXX: Jal Filius

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Another thing that would improved the auras as the primary mechanic would be more interaction involving the activation or deactivation of an aura. You could give the auramancer abilities that trigger when these events take place, which would make the changing of auras mid-encounter more tactical in nature. Sort of like some spells that can be left up for the duration, but at any time prior to that can be expended for a different short term effect. Or even similar to the way psionic characters can expend their focus to achieve certain effects.

You might also make some of the auras variable in a tactical manner. For instance, +3 in a 10 ft radius <or> +2 in a 20 ft radius <or> +1 in a 30 ft radius. Adjust the radius up or down by 10 ft by lowering or raising the bonus by +1.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Something that I think would make an auramancer more useful is the ability to pass on an aura, for a period of time, and then project another one.

For Example, if you have a regenerative aura, pass it on to a frontliner for something like 3+Con Mod rounds and begin a new aura, let's say an aura of protection, as a free action. I mean pass it and start a new one all as a single free action.

Another thing would be using auras offensively, like a debilitating aura or an aura of sickness. Being able to pass that on to a melee character while you use a beneficial aura would be better I think.

I guess that if Auras are going to be the focus of a class, they really need to function more like spells or encounter based class features. Possibly something like the Chanter from Pillars of Eternity? You chant and create auras that persist for the whole time you're chanting that particular chant.

If we're going with a more Chanter stylized auramancer, it would be important to set a clear progression. Start with a number of Phrases known which take a free action to say and grant a minor bonus. At say level 3, if you combine 3 phrases together into a stanza as a standard action you create a combination of their effects and they are enhanced. At level 6, if you take a full round action to combine 3 stanzas into a chant, it produces a combination of those effects that are also enhanced. At level 9 if you take a 1 round action (so you start it on your turn and then it takes effect at the start of your next turn) you can combine 2 chants into an epic which is essentially your class capstone at level 9. Continuing to progress in the class would grant access to higher level, more powerful phrases. The key to making this work would be by making the phrases vary, such as some that cause damage, some that heal or restore, some that protecte physically, some that disrupt, and some that debuff. For instance:
    - Level 1 Phrases: Bare your teeth (+1 to attack), Ready your shield (+1 AC), Staunch the Flow (Fast Healing 1), Terrorize the soul (Shaken, Will Negates DC Cha based), Slice the flesh (1d4 damage, Will 1/2 DC Cha based)
    Then, at level 3 you can combine Bare your Teeth, ready your shield, and staunch the flow into an aura that provides +2 attack, +2 AC, and Fast Healing 2 (or something like that) for as long as you maintain it, which would be a standard action at that point.

Something like that would be a good auramancer I think. Passive abilities are rarely good as primary class features and changing them to something that can be shaped, molded, or customized would be important for increasing how valuable auramancers are as a class.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by BowStreetRunner View Post
    Another thing that would improved the auras as the primary mechanic would be more interaction involving the activation or deactivation of an aura. You could give the auramancer abilities that trigger when these events take place, which would make the changing of auras mid-encounter more tactical in nature
    I really like this idea. As others have said, auras are boring, even if they are strong. Because auras are passive in nature, you're spending most of your combat time being a terrible character at the expense of making everyone else a bit steonger. The numbers are usually in your favor, but it still feels boring.

Would love the idea that activating and deactivating auras makes things happen. Say, if you have an Auras of Fire Resist, maybe deactivating it allows you to send a blast of fire that deals damage equal to the amount of damage protected by the aura.

Just some thoughts.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

One thought that comes to my mind is that the most effective Aura users tend to be people who do inspiring things. Bards sing epic stories (they have to actually take an action to perform) and Crusaders lead the charge (they have to take an action to attack).

A more focused Auramancer should probably have a repertoire of actions in combat that provide different types of inspiration. There might be a passive Visual Aura that provides a small buff to allies and debuff to enemies within line of sight. Then they could use verbal speech to Give Encouragement/Direction to allies or Heckle/Berate enemies. Also they might boost allies next combat round any time they drop an enemy, or revive a fallen ally.

It might be neat to grant Auramancers "Party maneuvers" like designating a target and all allies gain "Inspire Courage" bonuses against the designated target (maybe the bonuses against the next target increase incrementally every time they cooperatively drop a designated target) or the freedom to take an extra move speed towards the target. Perhaps they could sound the call to regroup and give everyone a free movement to move closer to one another.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    Some play RPG's like chess, some like charades.

Everyone has their own jam.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Could also try a "collection" aura. E.g. for every X points of damage your aura negates, you gain a +1 bonus on attack and damage rolls for 1 round, similar to crusader. Or when you protect your allies from fire damage, the fire is stored in a reservoir that you can shoot back out.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Luccan View Post
    My ideas so far:

• All base Aura distances are 30ft. Whether this gets larger or not is TBD.
    • All Auras are activated as swift actions and deactivated as free actions.
    • All Auras should improve with level, but should in some way benefit from an ability score.

I really appreciate the help.
    As Nifft suggested, you should start with a good class and then give it auras rather than the other way around. The quintessential aura class is actually none of the ones you listed, it's the Bard. By keeping the Bard in mind, you can not only come up with more list items that auras should follow to be good, you also quickly realize that an "aura class" needs additional things (like skills and spells) to be viable. If your final result is a class that is strictly worse than a Bard, you should start over.

So other aura rules you'll want to consider include:

• Auras should be supernatural / non-dispellable.
    • Auras shouldn't interfere with other actions like spellcasting and fighting. (there might be an action-economy consideration with starting or changing them, but not with just having them run passively.)
    • Auras should only function while their source is conscious and able to take some kind of action (even a free one) to maintain.
    • Auras need a way for enemies to identify their effects and respond accordingly.
    • Decide whether auras are constant or have a daily use limit, and balance accordingly. (You can also do both - passive, at-will/continuous effects + augmentations using a per encounter or per-day resource.)
    • Decide whether auras need to be sense-dependent (i.e. allies must see or hear you to benefit) and balance accordingly.
    • Decide whether auras (including beneficial ones) are mind-affecting and balance accordingly.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

Glad to see this got so much response, I'll be taking a longer, more considerate read through when I have more time. I hadn't planned on making a new class when it started, to be honest, just wanted to improve the old ones, but now I'm feeling inspired so I might take a shot at it. However, a few suggestions have stuck out. I like the idea of activating/deactivating auras having effects beyond just an aura boost. The tactical nature of it increases a lot. Here's a few I've thought of for existing auras, as examples (subject to change of course, these just popped into my head first):

Divine Mind's Creation Mantle aura:
    When you activate this aura, you animate one object contained entirely within your normal aura radius as per the spell Animate Objects (except as follows). Maximum size is dictated by you class level (Levels 1-4, Tiny; 5-8, Small; 9-12, Medium; 13-16, Large; 16-18, Huge; 18-20 Gargantuan) and the object stays animate until you cancel your aura or after 8 hours. The animated object must remain with in the area of you aura or ceases to function after 1d10 rounds. This is a psionic effect. Additionally, when you deactivate this aura all constructs you designate within the aura must make a Will save (DC 10+your manifester level+your Wisdom bonus) or take 1d6 damage (this increases by 1d6 every 3 class levels).

Dragon Shaman's Vigor aura:
    When a Dragon Shaman deactivates their Vigor aura, they can heal allies within their aura as if they had their full allotment of points in Touch of Vitality. When healed in this way, the Dragon Shaman need not actually be touching his allies to heal them and the points expended do not count against their usual number of points per day. Even if the Dragon Shaman does not currently have Touch of Vitality, calculate the points using the same formula as if they did (class level x Charisma bonus). This unique aura ability may be used once every hour, even if the Dragon Shaman deactivates and reactivates their Vigor aura before then.

Marshal Steady Hand and Motivate Attack auras:

When either of these auras are activated, the Marshal can grant all allies within his aura radius an Attack action. This aura ability can be used a number of times per encounter per aura equal to the Marshal's Major Aura bonus.

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    As Nifft suggested, you should start with a good class and then give it auras rather than the other way around. The quintessential aura class is actually none of the ones you listed, it's the Bard. By keeping the Bard in mind, you can not only come up with more list items that auras should follow to be good, you also quickly realize that an "aura class" needs additional things (like skills and spells) to be viable. If your final result is a class that is strictly worse than a Bard, you should start over.

So other aura rules you'll want to consider include:

• Auras should be supernatural / non-dispellable.
    • Auras shouldn't interfere with other actions like spellcasting and fighting. (there might be an action-economy consideration with starting or changing them, but not with just having them run passively.)
    • Auras should only function while their source is conscious and able to take some kind of action (even a free one) to maintain.
    • Auras need a way for enemies to identify their effects and respond accordingly.
    • Decide whether auras are constant or have a daily use limit, and balance accordingly. (You can also do both - passive, at-will/continuous effects + augmentations using a per encounter or per-day resource.)
    • Decide whether auras need to be sense-dependent (i.e. allies must see or hear you to benefit) and balance accordingly.
    • Decide whether auras (including beneficial ones) are mind-affecting and balance accordingly.
    All things to keep in mind. I believe all current auras are either (Su) or (Ex), so I was planning on keeping them that way.
    Last edited by Luccan; 2018-07-16 at 09:12 PM.
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

Show