New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default anybody play red dragon inn?

I played a few games on tabletop sim and liked it enough to order one of the first sets, just wondering if anybody else is into it (only other thread I found was from 2011)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: anybody play red dragon inn?

I've played it - the theme had some fun aspects to it, some of the humor worked pretty well, and I liked the art. The gameplay was pretty disappointing though.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Knaight View Post
    I've played it - the theme had some fun aspects to it, some of the humor worked pretty well, and I liked the art. The gameplay was pretty disappointing though.
    what was disappointing about it?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

It's a favorite of my family whenever we visit my sister. Rules are easy enough to pick up that we can re-learn them quickly after a year apart, and the comedy is just perfect for a family gathering.

I'd say the game's probably more fun because none of us are experts at it or playing particularly seriously.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

I enjoy it quite a lot. It won't win any awards for complex gameplay, but honestly that's fine. It's goofy, simple, and has just enough player options available that your actions have an impact on the game (unlike say Candyland).

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NRSASD View Post
    I enjoy it quite a lot. It won't win any awards for complex gameplay, but honestly that's fine. It's goofy, simple, and has just enough player options available that your actions have an impact on the game (unlike say Candyland).
    Not sure what you mean by this; nothing but player actions affect the game. It is at the maximum end of the player agency continuum.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ross View Post
    Not sure what you mean by this; nothing but player actions affect the game. It is at the maximum end of the player agency continuum.
    Specifically, the drinks are randomized. As is your card hand any given turn. You do have some influence over it, but not complete control. Since you are entirely dependent on your hand for your ability to influence the game, I'd say that RNGesus has a firm grip on Red Dragon Inn. Loose enough to be enjoyable, but definitely stronger than most of the games I play otherwise.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NRSASD View Post
    Specifically, the drinks are randomized. As is your card hand any given turn. You do have some influence over it, but not complete control. Since you are entirely dependent on your hand for your ability to influence the game, I'd say that RNGesus has a firm grip on Red Dragon Inn. Loose enough to be enjoyable, but definitely stronger than most of the games I play otherwise.
    Oh okay, I get you now. I consider randomness orthogonal to player agency, that's why I wasn't tracking

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

I'm a pretty big fan. Quick and easy to pick up, the characters actually play slightly differently, and the gambling portion is always pretty amusing.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

10. - Top - End - #10
    Pixie in the Playground

I've played a lot of it, alongside some other games on TSS; Namely Kingdom: Death and Betrayal at House on the Hill.
    AKA Wren.
    I also homebrew a bunch of stuff and run heavily customized games; pretty much explicitly pathfinder.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ross View Post
    what was disappointing about it?
    It was luck dominated to a somewhat excessive extent, and the decisions that you get to make as a player had a tendency to be glaringly obvious and thus not interesting. On top of that it's just generally shallow as repetitive.

It's a lot like Munchkin in those regards, albeit shallower, including the style of humor.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

A lot of people really enjoy it at the annual meetups. I'm not one of them, though. Every game goes exactly the same: anyone that wins a round of gambling gets completely **** on by everyone else and eliminated pretty much immediately (the person that wins the first round is often out before they've even had a turn), then it drags on for another hour or more while the last two standing slug it out.
    Delightfully abrasive in more ways than one
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    Mango:you sick, twisted bastard <3
    Quote Originally Posted by Gryffon View Post
    I think Krade is protesting the use of the word mad in in the phrase mad scientist as it promotes ambiguity. Are they angry? Are they crazy? Some of both? Not to mention, it also often connotates some degree of evilness. In the future we should be more careful to use proper classification.

Mango is a dastardly irate unhinged scientist, for realz.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sartharina View Post
    Evil's awesome because of the art.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

Damn, that's rough. I played my first real life game yesterday, we had three matches and they were all super close, especially the last one: player C went out, B took a turn, I won on the next turn; and at that point, me and B had almost identical gold and were both down to a 3 point health - alcohol spread. Smaller group though, and we were all pretty new to the game.