New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 30 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617181920212223 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Re: Strange Aeons: In Search of Sanity II [IC - Group #1]

“Leave the spirt in peace if it does no harm. Dorn, let us go and meet these yellow “ninjas”.” Brother Jaume’s callused hands rhythmically squeeze the worn oak of his quarter staff in anticipation.
    Last edited by Blackhawk101; 2019-02-22 at 05:50 PM.

2. - Top - End - #362
    Colossus in the Playground

"Behind me, Brother, and prepare to bring the faith to the disquiet spirit," says Brother Dorn before he opens the door.

A row of fireplaces stand among heaps of barrel-sized pots and cooking implements in this ruin of a kitchen. Numerous doors lead to the south, east, and west, while multiple corners of the L-shaped room have collapsed. A line of large rocks deliberately cordons off the westernmost door. Of course, should you step in you would be in that cordoned area. An obvious haunt rattles a cauldron over the kitchen's cold westernmost fireplace that the party is near.

Dorn steps forth bravely. The clattering cauldron overturns and a vaporous, spectral image of a lean man's sobbing face pours forth, filling the area that has been cordoned off in this western corner. As soon as it appears, it is gone, and the room is quiet.

What does the party do now?
    20MAR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: The Worldwound (2013, Jacobs, Keith, et. al.).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Spoiler: Player Status
    Show
    bcool999: On hiatus through 01APR2024.

3. - Top - End - #363
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

“Shall I attempt to dispel the haunt?”

4. - Top - End - #364

There doesn't appear to be anything remaining.

"There ... there doesn't appear to be anything remaining," says Dorn.
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2019-02-22 at 10:11 PM.
    20MAR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: The Worldwound (2013, Jacobs, Keith, et. al.).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Show

5. - Top - End - #365
    Ogre in the Playground

"Then I suppose we had best keep moving. That is the side room?" Jean asks, pointing at the nearest southern door.

6. - Top - End - #366
    Ogre in the Playground

"Yes, they were in there. If this is all the same, most or all of them are still alive. And probably angry..."
    "Do Driderettes buy their legwarmers in bulk?"

7. - Top - End - #367
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

​“How many foes did you encounter?”

8. - Top - End - #368
    Ogre in the Playground

"There were at least four that we could see. There were also sounds coming from somewhere further south, like there was another room past that one with more people in it, but we never got far enough inside to know exactly what was going on."

9. - Top - End - #369
    Ogre in the Playground

"We have the advantage - we know they're there, and how many of them there are. Let me know when you both are ready." Jean says, readying his sword.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Casting Shield on myself.

10. - Top - End - #370
    Ogre in the Playground

"If you want to try to talk first, the most normal-looking people should be in the front. When they attacked, from what they were yelling, they thought we were some kind of monsters..."

11. - Top - End - #371

"You know," says Lord Hanley, "I am a noble trained in the art of de-escalation. Perhaps if Saint Dorn would second me, we could to the door, and then make our case known, and invite them - if they are at all amenable - to the safety and sanctuary of the Chapel. The rest of you should be out of sight in this side room with the stinky reptile in the meanwhile. I don't know how threatened they'll be by a dwarf* and an old man. No offense, Dorn."

"None taken," says Dorn. "I am an emissary, so I could be more than a body, but an able assistant in such a regard?"

Lord Hanley gives a deferential nod to Dorn, and then looks to the rest of the party. "What say the rest of you? Does this sound like a plan?"
    Spoiler: *OOC
    Show
    *EDITOR: By this, you see he means "dwarf" as a "person of exceptionally short stature," and not the race named as such.
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2019-02-23 at 09:49 PM.
    Show

12. - Top - End - #372
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

“If we can save lives and eliminate bloodshed, I am all for the diplomatic approach. If things go poorly, yell for help and we’ll come running!”

13. - Top - End - #373

Without carrying on a conversation with myself ...

Lord Hanley is a word wizard, and little needed Dorn's aid. It takes him a good ten minutes, and he does nothing to rush things. Still, in the end he is successful in totally winning the four occupants over with wit, warmth, and promise of food. There are three yellow-robed cultists that end up coming out, and another that is more yellowed from dirt and grease if nothing else, but is definitely a cook or kitchen helper (or at least was). The four of them (especially the kitchen helper) are only too eager to get to a more safe location.
    Spoiler
    Show
    You will learn later that the cook is Ivory Garidine, an assistant chef who became trapped here during the riots. She survived this long by offering the rioters who first charged into this room a bowl of cookie dough, and then promising to make more. She's run out of the ingredients for desserts and now has been doing what she could with her very limited supplies - largely water, potatoes, dill, lard, and bacon grease. She was very concerned about what running out of dill meant for her longevity, but has been putting on a strong face.

Don't respond with knowledge of this now ... just storytelling info you will pick up later.

A couple days ago, they were attacked by a pack of "monstrous people" - a bird man, a devil-man, and other disreputable types. When faced with the fact that Akbar was there (and even he is rather exotic), Lord Hanley is able to get apologies to Akbar from the four of them. The banging to the south is a pack of Tribals on the other side of a hastily made barricade that have been trying to get in.

What do you do before bringing the four of them to the Chapel?
    Show

14. - Top - End - #374
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

​“Let us get this poor folks back to the chapel.”

15. - Top - End - #375

The four new folks seem a little more nervous with the extra faces (remember, Lord Hanley and Dorn were the first), but Lord Hanley is able to calm them. The remaining ingredients that Ivory had are gathered and the party heads back to the Chapel, safely led by the party.

Nearing the guard station, the party is called to hold because of all of the new faces, but Lord Hanley is able to talk past the guards without need for Captain York.

You are back at the Sanctuary. Now what?
    Show

16. - Top - End - #376
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Brother Jaume will brief Winter on our new discoveries and survivors; including a warning that the cultists can be violent when threatened.. To the group: “We should hurry back to the kitchen and continue to explore.”

17. - Top - End - #377

The party spends about an hour in total with "processing" the newbies ... and Ivory is now officially the cook (and the other three will be watched).

With no good reason not to explore further (though Akbar has some things to ruminate on), the party goes back to the kitchen, taking the standard marching order. With Jean being the first to go into the kitchen, the same thing happens to him as happened to Dorn some time ago ... a ghostly, screaming cook bursts forth from the overturned cauldron (that seemed to have righted itself at some point) and scares the hell out of Jean! (Brother Jaume had nerves of steel.)

Otherwise, nothing else happens with the haunt, besides Jean having to take a minute because he feels sick for several rounds.

Now what?
    Show

18. - Top - End - #378
    Ogre in the Playground

"To the east, I think." Jean murmurs once he's recovered from his bout of nausea. Of all the things in this damned hellhole, a ghostly chef shouldn't be that frightening - though the feeling of his stomach trying to invert itself wasn't one he'd forget for a while.

19. - Top - End - #379
    Ogre in the Playground

"Did the folks in yellow tell anybody how many bad guys were in that other room?"

20. - Top - End - #380
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

“Yes, they said a pack of tribals to the south beyond a barricade. East is fine for me.”

21. - Top - End - #381

There are two doors on the east wall, 15' apart. Dorn recommends the northern door, since that keeps the party closer to the "outer periphery" of the building instead of aimlessly wandering around the center. Javert listens at the door.
    Spoiler: Jean
    Show
    "Boss, I don't just hear something. I hear .... like a lot of people. A whole LOT of people."
    Show

22. - Top - End - #382
    Ogre in the Playground

Jean waves the others back. "If any of you have been saving a way to see through a door without opening it, now is the time. Javert hears are many, many people behind this door."

23. - Top - End - #383

Dorn, Lord Hanley, and Nadya shrug, having no way to do so.
    Show

24. - Top - End - #384
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

“What can Javert make out?” asks BJ.

25. - Top - End - #385

Spoiler: Jean
    Show
    Javert doesn't make out words, but merely the presence of some mutterings, movements, and random noises he can't define.
    Show

26. - Top - End - #386
    Ogre in the Playground

"Not much. Muttering. Movement."

27. - Top - End - #387

Dorn gathers the group away from the door - about midway into the kitchen (roughly where the room takes an "L" to the south. "We don't need to make a lot of noise at the door," he explains.

"My friends, we only know of one other group of any size - size unknown, though - that is a powerful faction in this asylum. That would be Ulver Zandalus' yellow-robed nutters. We've managed to talk with some. Others, we've had to fight. I think we all knew that we were going to meet with them at some point. For them to be making 'comfortable-in-my-own-territory' noises, it is my assumption that we may have found Zandalus' main redoubt. We don't know numbers, but given the varied reactions of those other yellow-robed folk we've met before, I think we have a chance of making at least tenuously peaceful contact. Going in with an honest desire for that might be better than kicking in the door, and it might give us a better chance of observing their strength at that.

"Either that, or let's leave this room for now and check the other door to the east (in case it doesn't sound like it goes to the same place), and then the doors to the south.

"What say ye?"
    Show

28. - Top - End - #388
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

“Aye, it is a risk approaching Zandalus and his group but everything is a risk in this place! We need information and we may find it in that room. I say we make contact.”

29. - Top - End - #389
    Ogre in the Playground

"I think I will keep my blade close. Try, if you must."

30. - Top - End - #390
    Ogre in the Playground

"One thing doesn't quite make sense... if that crowd over there is from the same faction as the four yellow robe people we met and took back to camp... why was that small group alone in here and getting ready to fight the tribals by themselves?"