New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: Questionable Content 13: It's YOU Who Is The Dork!

If somebody just handed me a tool and said "here, use this on this" I probably wouldn't think to look for other tools to assist me either. In general, I tend to assume that if somebody is teaching me how to do a thing, theyre going to give me everything I need off the bat, up to and including a work station if necessary.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

2. - Top - End - #152
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    If somebody just handed me a tool and said "here, use this on this" I probably wouldn't think to look for other tools to assist me either. In general, I tend to assume that if somebody is teaching me how to do a thing, theyre going to give me everything I need off the bat, up to and including a work station if necessary.
    And this is why Fayes is not a teacher at the moment :-P

Altough she tries to teach

3. - Top - End - #153
    Bugbear in the Playground

This is actually more or less how I learned to drive; the teacher spent five minutes explaining how to adjust the seat, but aside from that he mostly just told me to do things I'd never done before and got mad when I did them wrong.
    Vitruvian Stickman avatar by linklele.
    I have an extended signature now. God knows why.
    Spoiler: shameless self-aggrandizing
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    What this guy said.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by rooster707 View Post
    This is actually more or less how I learned to drive; the teacher spent five minutes explaining how to adjust the seat, but aside from that he mostly just told me to do things I'd never done before and got mad when I did them wrong.
    Reminds me of learning to drive.

"Out on the clutch, in on the gas" repeated over and over (and over and over).

Wasn't until day three when he finally realized he'd been forgetting to say "at the same time".
    "That's a horrible idea! What time?"

T-Shirt given to me by a good friend.. "in fairness, I was unsupervised at the time".

5. - Top - End - #155
    Titan in the Playground

Faye is clearly not a teacher since she forgot the first rule : students are idiots.
    But honestly, how old is Sam again? Because I feel that's a little too dumb even for her.
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

6. - Top - End - #156
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    Faye is clearly not a teacher since she forgot the first rule : students are idiots.
    But honestly, how old is Sam again? Because I feel that's a little too dumb even for her.
    Yeah, she seems too young for this kind of mistake. This is the kind of sh*t you generally only need to worry about when teaching adults.

(You think I'm kidding. I am not. Adults are almost always WAY worse than children in terms of actually teaching them stuff).

7. - Top - End - #157

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    14, I think? At least, I think she was when she was introduced. Even so, this one's kinda on Faye - students should be supervised at all times in case of accidents... and, of course, "accidents" since she's fully aware of how whimsical Sam can be.

And as I said before - Dremel's aren't automated killing machines, you could probably use one to trim your nails if you wanted. How hard was that "touch" that it seems to have ripped her whole fingernail away?
    Jesus Christ, kid; I know that some people want to touch the pretty little flame, but if you MUST do that then start with a candle - why would your first impulse be to plunge your whole hand into an inferno?!

Quote Originally Posted by Drascin
    (You think I'm kidding. I am not. Adults are almost always WAY worse than children in terms of actually teaching them stuff).
    The Dunning-Kruger effect in action. Kids tend to know that they don't know something and act accordingly; adults have "life experiences" and "education" that they think qualifies them as more adept at pretty much anything they want. Hilarity usually ensues.
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

8. - Top - End - #158

Clean the wound
    Make sure its not too bad
    Make her do it again as soon as possible.

Otherwise, she may develop a phobia of drenels. My father had a work accident with a ribbon saw when he was about late 20s (cut off parts of his middle finger). He went to the hospital and saved the finger, but he waited too long before trying to use the tool again. He physically cannot use a ribbon saw anymore.

9. - Top - End - #159
    Ettin in the Playground

Sam. What are you doing. Sam. Stahp.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

10. - Top - End - #160
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Cikomyr View Post
    Clean the wound
    Make sure its not too bad
    Make her do it again as soon as possible.

Otherwise, she may develop a phobia of drenels. My father had a work accident with a ribbon saw when he was about late 20s (cut off parts of his middle finger). He went to the hospital and saved the finger, but he waited too long before trying to use the tool again. He physically cannot use a ribbon saw anymore.
    Ehm no.
    a) Sam isn't Faye's kid
    b) Faye is responsible for her at the moment.

Her top priority is not "OMG I hope she does use the tool again" it's "OMG I hope she doesn't have any permanent damage from this and her father doesn't sue us into the ground"

If she develops a phobia of powertools considering what the hell she jsut did, that might only be healthy for her.

11. - Top - End - #161
    Barbarian in the Playground

Sam is going to be in a world of trouble. Faye is going to be in a UNIVERSE of trouble.

This is going to have repercussions.

12. - Top - End - #162

Griffon

Nah. Sam invited herself into the workshop despite being told plenty of times to ask permission first, and after Faye kindly agreed to let her stay she screwed around and tore her fingernail.

It's not a *big* thing and from what we've seen of Jim so far, he's far too used to her antics to hold a grudge over it even if it weren't her own fault. The person most at risk here is Sam getting grounded for not doing as she was told again.

Besides, we know that Jim's lawyer sucks at his job, so Faye and Bubbles have nothing to fear
    Last edited by Wraith; 2018-08-07 at 08:49 AM.

13. - Top - End - #163

Quote Originally Posted by Morquard View Post
    Ehm no.
    a) Sam isn't Faye's kid
    b) Faye is responsible for her at the moment.

Her top priority is not "OMG I hope she does use the tool again" it's "OMG I hope she doesn't have any permanent damage from this and her father doesn't sue us into the ground"

If she develops a phobia of powertools considering what the hell she jsut did, that might only be healthy for her.
    Ok. The time scale i was talking about was over the course of a few days, probably weeks. Sorry, i didnt meant "in the immediate" ;)

"Making sure her finger is ok" kind of cover hospital trips, and minimal amount of healing. I wasn't very clear, sorry

14. - Top - End - #164
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    Nah. Sam invited herself into the workshop despite being told plenty of times to ask permission first, and after Faye kindly agreed to let her stay she screwed around and tore her fingernail.

It's not a *big* thing and from what we've seen of Jim so far, he's far too used to her antics to hold a grudge over it even if it weren't her own fault. The person most at risk here is Sam getting grounded for not doing as she was told again.

Besides, we know that Jim's lawyer sucks at his job, so Faye and Bubbles have nothing to fear
    They run a business and they let a teenager work with power tools without any training and proper introduction and then left her alone with it. That alone is a legal nightmare if it would come to it.
    It doesn't matter that she "invited herself". They allowed her to do so, by not kicking her clients out and telling them this isn't the place for that. They accept her money. Yes they're on the hook for this.

Faye could have said "Hey, Bubs, I need to pee, watch Sam for a minute", and all would have been fine.

I'm not saying Jim will sue them. I doubt that. And yes probably Sam is the one that gets grounded for this. But that doesn't change the facts that this is still their responsibility.
    Last edited by Morquard; 2018-08-07 at 10:40 AM.

15. - Top - End - #165
    Barbarian in the Playground

Spoiler: We are forgetting that...
    Show

Someone who works at Union Robotics is a fairly well-trained field medic, to the point where she will probably be able to take care of Sam's injury. I mean, you think you'd send a combat AI out into the field without giving them knowledge in how to repair the humans in her squad?

16. - Top - End - #166
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by jwhouk View Post
    Spoiler: We are forgetting that...
    Show

Someone who works at Union Robotics is a fairly well-trained field medic, to the point where she will probably be able to take care of Sam's injury. I mean, you think you'd send a combat AI out into the field without giving them knowledge in how to repair the humans in her squad?
    A bleeding finger is not exactly going to require cutting edge medical knowledge to take care of. Some disinfectant and a band-aid will do it.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

17. - Top - End - #167
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    A bleeding finger is not exactly going to require cutting edge medical knowledge to take care of. Some disinfectant and a band-aid will do it.
    What if it took a serious chunk of fingernail off?
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

The Worldbuilding Forum -- where realities are born.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    What if it took a serious chunk of fingernail off?
    Treatment for that is still disinfectant and a band-aid. Clean and reapply as needed.

Grey Wolf
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

19. - Top - End - #169
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Treatment for that is still disinfectant and a band-aid. Clean and reapply as needed.

Grey Wolf
    Right. Fingernails grow back, eventually, even if it does kind of suck for a while.

20. - Top - End - #170
    Titan in the Playground

You'd really need to be trying to cause serious, intentional harm with a dremel for it to require anything more than disinfection and a bandage.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

21. - Top - End - #171
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    As an odd question, have you ever worked in construction?

As for the injury itself, if she has weak nails she could have gotten it snagged and it ripped. It'd be showy, but not really serious if a little icky. Some dremel attachments probably could cause an injury, but I don't know if SANDING would. I guess if this argument keeps going I might just have to go and try. I am betting Faye started her off on a higher grit to boot to teach her a lesson (and to possibly mess with her), since it'd be a lot harder to mess it up and teach her some patience.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oko and Qailee View Post
    Man, I like this tiefling.
    For all of your completely and utterly honest needs. Zaydos made, Tiefling approved.

22. - Top - End - #172
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

There is the issue of insurance and liability still. Sure a disinfectant and band aid might be enough, but if someone decides to sue, or it gets worse, they might be in even more trouble if they didn't take her to a doctor/hospital.

23. - Top - End - #173

Yup, that was negligent. It was also Faye. So all's normal on the western front.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

24. - Top - End - #174

Quote Originally Posted by Morquard View Post
    There is the issue of insurance and liability still. Sure a disinfectant and band aid might be enough, but if someone decides to sue, or it gets worse, they might be in even more trouble if they didn't take her to a doctor/hospital.
    I kind of am worried about the whole insurance/liability thing. She had no business being there. She wouldn't be covered by the store's liability insurance, right?

25. - Top - End - #175

Griffon

I kind of am worried about the whole insurance/liability thing. She had no business being there. She wouldn't be covered by the store's liability insurance, right?
    FOREWORD: Not a lawyer, no expertise, just conjecturing.

There's more than one kind of liability insurance. Without public liability insurance (as opposed to employee) they wouldn't be able to allow ANYONE on the premises in case of anything ranging from accidents to heart attacks, seizures, etc, so they probably have at least that.

26. - Top - End - #176
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    FOREWORD: Not a lawyer, no expertise, just conjecturing.

There's more than one kind of liability insurance. Without public liability insurance (as opposed to employee) they wouldn't be able to allow ANYONE on the premises in case of anything ranging from accidents to heart attacks, seizures, etc, so they probably have at least that.
    There's a difference between allowing them in to do business, and allowing them to use the stores tools and unsupervised at that, and a teenager on top of it.

27. - Top - End - #177
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Personally I highly, highly doubt that we will suddenly transition to a legal drama over a slightly bloody finger.

28. - Top - End - #178
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    As an odd question, have you ever worked in construction?
    As a general rule, I don't reveal that kind of detail about my life, sorry.

GW
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

29. - Top - End - #179

I am not familiar with that part of the anatomy. Can a nail grow back?

30. - Top - End - #180
    Titan in the Playground

I am not familiar with that part of the anatomy. Can a nail grow back?
    As long as you don't damage the root or the nail bed, and even then sometimes it'll grow back anyway.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."