New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Ogre in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Default Re: Questionable Content 13: It's YOU Who Is The Dork!

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    As a general rule, I don't reveal that kind of detail about my life, sorry.

GW
    I choose to interpret this as meaning that you've never done an honest day's work in your life. Sorry.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Ettin in the Playground

Can confirm, nails grow back. Some of my toes are on their third or fourth toenail, thanks to pickup basketball. (Not that I rip them out playing - they get bruised in the moment and fall out later.)

3. - Top - End - #183
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by dps View Post
    I choose to interpret this as meaning that you've never done an honest day's work in your life. Sorry.
    There's lots of honest work, even physically exhausting labor, that is unlikely to result in lost nails.

Regarding legal responsibility and lawsuits: yes, the adults are probably legally responsible for Sam's well-being in their place of business, but there's a difference between "legally responsible" and "causally responsible," and since the full story of what happened makes it clear that this happened because Sam intentionally, if impulsively, did something dumb, her father would probably be inclined to give her a scolding along the lines of "That's what you get for playing with power tools. Be thankful it wasn't a rotary saw." At most, he would forbid her from returning to them and scold them for turning their back. In any case, a chunk of lost fingernail wouldn't be worth the legal proceedings; even talking to a lawyer long enough for them to tell you that will probably cost more than what little is necessary to treat the wound.

On a complete aside, I just realized that Bubbles changed her clothes in the fashion of one sweating in the heat, even though she (presumably; QC robots are often unnecessarily biomimetic) doesn't sweat.

4. - Top - End - #184
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by VoxRationis View Post
    On a complete aside, I just realized that Bubbles changed her clothes in the fashion of one sweating in the heat, even though she (presumably; QC robots are often unnecessarily biomimetic) doesn't sweat.
    They (probably) don't sweat, but thermodynamics says that doing work produces heat that they'll need to lose somehow, and removing unnecessary insulation over their surface is one method of increasing heat dissipation capacity.

Alternately, maybe her primary concern here is not how hot she's getting, but how hot she looks for her girlfriend.
    Play your character, not your alignment.

5. - Top - End - #185
    Titan in the Playground

What do you mean, "unnecessary"? Sweating is an important biological process and anyone who owns a pc should know cooling a CPU is a very crucial factor. So while I guess there are other options, sweating doesn't feel like the worst way in which androids would mimic life.

Also, gosh, Sam, next time you will cut your hair with a power saw, won't you? If you act that stupid you deserve to get stitches...
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

6. - Top - End - #186
    Firbolg in the Playground

Griffon

There's lots of honest work, even physically exhausting labor, that is unlikely to result in lost nails.
    Pretty sure that was meant to be a joke.

She's also a mechanic that has spent the morning trying to get a broken concrete saw running. Chances are she took her loose-fitting shirt off because she didn't want to get it dirty, and because wearing loose-fitting clothing around power tools is not a wise choice!

But, yeah... This is the most non-incident event to have happened in the comic. It's barely ever worth worrying about:

Jim: "Hello Faye, how was Sam today? Did she cause any problems?"
    Faye: "She did some drawing for us, so we showed her around the workshop. There was a bit of drama when she broke her nail, but she's not a wimp so she'll probably get over it by supper time."
    Jim: "Hey, at least you brought her back with her hands still attached; given her usual escapades a complete dismemberment might not have been out of the question."

I mean... That's about it, isn't it?
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

7. - Top - End - #187
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    What do you mean, "unnecessary"? Sweating is an important biological process and anyone who owns a pc should know cooling a CPU is a very crucial factor. So while I guess there are other options, sweating doesn't feel like the worst way in which androids would mimic life.
    Maybe not the worst way, but a completely impractical one. It would involve carrying a water supply as well as creating the process of pores all over the skin.

Cooling fans are a much better idea.
    "That's a horrible idea! What time?"

T-Shirt given to me by a good friend.. "in fairness, I was unsupervised at the time".

8. - Top - End - #188
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tomandtish View Post
    Maybe not the worst way, but a completely impractical one. It would involve carrying a water supply as well as creating the process of pores all over the skin.

Cooling fans are a much better idea.
    No, they are a cheaper, less efficient alternative. Capillary water cooling would likely require less energy and be more efficient at cooling, because water is an excellent heat trap. So if money is not an objection (military project) and refueling is already available (it has a mouth), then I don't see why it couldn't be implemented.

Grey Wolf
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

9. - Top - End - #189
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

We've already seen an AI release steam out of the base of her neck. That's an industrialised form of sweating.
    Yes, I am slightly egomaniac. Why didn't you ask?

Free haiku !
    Alas, poor Cookie
    The world needs more platypi
    I wish you could be

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari
    Also this isn’t D&D, flaming the troll doesn’t help either.

10. - Top - End - #190
    Ettin in the Playground

No, they are a cheaper, less efficient alternative. Capillary water cooling would likely require less energy and be more efficient at cooling, because water is an excellent heat trap. So if money is not an objection (military project) and refueling is already available (it has a mouth), then I don't see why it couldn't be implemented.

Grey Wolf
    See, now you've gone and made me imagine robots with bladders.

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

11. - Top - End - #191
    Ettin in the Playground

As a general rule, I don't reveal that kind of detail about my life, sorry.
    Probably not a bad idea. Personally, I'm going to interpet this as you doing construction work in the Antartic while fighting interdimensional invaders, because I try to be optimistic.

Through mostly I ask because sometimes construction workers have the most lax attitudes to injury.

Quote Originally Posted by John Cribati View Post
    See, now you've gone and made me imagine robots with bladders.
    I think Pintsize would have peed on someone by now, through maybe his chasis doesn't allow a bladder.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oko and Qailee View Post
    Man, I like this tiefling.
    For all of your completely and utterly honest needs. Zaydos made, Tiefling approved.

12. - Top - End - #192
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Probably not a bad idea. Personally, I'm going to interpet this as you doing construction work in the Antartic while fighting interdimensional invaders, because I try to be optimistic.

Through mostly I ask because sometimes construction workers have the most lax attitudes to injury.
    I knew the Starkweather-Moore shouldn't have tried to excavate that dark pit at the center of the city.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

13. - Top - End - #193
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Well, I can tell you that my knowledge of how to treat that particular injury comes directly from a medical professional. Which, on reflection, do also tend to have fairly lax attitudes to injuries, presumably because they are far more aware than the general public of the dangers involved (or lack thereof).

Grey Wolf
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

14. - Top - End - #194
    Troll in the Playground

Well, I can tell you that my knowledge of how to treat that particular injury comes directly from a medical professional. Which, on reflection, do also tend to have fairly lax attitudes to injuries, presumably because they are far more aware than the general public of the dangers involved (or lack thereof).

Grey Wolf
    Well played, sir!

15. - Top - End - #195
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Grey Wolf
    That hasn't been my experience, at least with the medical professionals in my family. They wont freak out, but they wouldn't, ie tell Sam to quit whining or dismiss it as trivial either.

Maybe its a nurse/doctor divide (there are many nurses but no doctors in my immediate family).
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

16. - Top - End - #196
    Barbarian in the Playground

We're missing the point: Bubbles just successfully used Psych Warfare on Sam - and it worked!

17. - Top - End - #197
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by jwhouk View Post
    We're missing the point: Bubbles just successfully used Psych Warfare on Sam - and it worked!
    And? Adolescents are quite vulnerable to it.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

18. - Top - End - #198

So by charging she means running in a hotile fashion towards the gun nest? That makes sense I guess, I spent the day thinking that she would charge the nest as in loading it.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

19. - Top - End - #199
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    So by charging she means running in a hotile fashion towards the gun nest? That makes sense I guess, I spent the day thinking that she would charge the nest as in loading it.
    CHARGE!

Spoiler
    Show
    Run away! Run away!

20. - Top - End - #200
    Barbarian in the Playground

SAM uses REVERSE PSYCHOLOGY on DAD!

It's Super Effective!

21. - Top - End - #201
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    That hasn't been my experience, at least with the medical professionals in my family. They wont freak out, but they wouldn't, ie tell Sam to quit whining or dismiss it as trivial either.

Maybe its a nurse/doctor divide (there are many nurses but no doctors in my immediate family).

Her injury reallyisn't that big of a deal though, it's the most common kind you'll run into in a shop (in my personal experience anyway). The nail took the brunt of the damage and that's the nails job, and pretty much what always happens when someone somehow jams their finger into a sander or has a grinder slip. It would have been more surprising if she had needed stitches or a doctor visit for it.

22. - Top - End - #202

Clinton got a new haircut! And a child!
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

23. - Top - End - #203

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by jwhouk View Post
    SAM uses REVERSE PSYCHOLOGY on DAD!

It's Super Effective!
    I don't think that's reverse psychology. That's just owning up and taking responsibility and accepting consequence.
    Spoiler: I've checked out the spoiler thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    Show
    I've checked out the comic thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    I can't find the one with the "cartoon butt," though.
    OK, finally tracked the Naked Superheroes guy down
    What do you see as being objectionable about it? The use of the word "bimbos"?
    Quote Originally Posted by stack View Post
    There are no nipples or genitals
    Looks like a nipple when I look close.
    Then don't look close.

24. - Top - End - #204
    Troll in the Playground

Can confirm, parents are absolutely suckers for actually owning up your mistakes and displaying responsibility. It's a known security issue in the Dad 1.0 software .

25. - Top - End - #205

Quote Originally Posted by Drascin View Post
    Can confirm, parents are absolutely suckers for actually owning up your mistakes and displaying responsibility. It's a known security issue in the Dad 1.0 software .
    Its not a bug, its a feature. The point of the Dad sofrware is to actually develop these behaviors in its bot production

26. - Top - End - #206

Hmm.. everyone is being reasonable..

We clearly have changelings infiltrator! Quick, bloodtesting!

27. - Top - End - #207
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Oh my, such a cruel tyrant. How dare this man not let his daughter play with dangerous machinery. What a terrible father he is.
    Last edited by Beelzebub1111; 2018-08-12 at 10:22 PM.

28. - Top - End - #208
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Beelzebub1111 View Post
    Oh my, such a cruel tyrant. How dare this man not let his daughter play with dangerous machinery. What a terrible father he is.
    Who said anything along those lines?

I hope he also knows teenagers can never be trusted and also contacts Faye and Bubbles... Though they have probably learned their lesson already.
    Also, I wonder if he knows why she's going there..
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

29. - Top - End - #209
    Halfling in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by Beelzebub1111 View Post
    Also, he forgot to stipulate "no welding," so there's still room for further wacky hijinks :)

30. - Top - End - #210

Marten's mom lost her lips.