New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Questionable Content 13: It's YOU Who Is The Dork!

Surely that's not Marten's mom. That looks nothign like her. I assumed it was a doctor.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

2. - Top - End - #212
    Firbolg in the Playground

Griffon

She has new rounder glasses, she's not wearing lipstick, and there's no lines under her eyes. After Faye and Bubbles' recent make-overs, I'm surprised that's all that happened.

As for Sam, Jeph is wrong. Subdued personality and anxiety *are* possible symptoms of being in shock. So are widened pupils, but we can probably put that down to the puppy-dog eyes.
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

3. - Top - End - #213

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Surely that's not Marten's mom. That looks nothign like her. I assumed it was a doctor.
    I am not clear on whether this constant cutting of corners in the art is due to a side project, or if it's just Jeph wanting more free time.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

4. - Top - End - #214
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    Who said anything along those lines?
    Implied by her reaction to him saying no power tools. and Martin's mom basically chastising him for being concerned about his daughter's well-being. It's just so odd that the tone is so against a father that clearly cares about his preteen(?) daughter's safety.

It's like when in steven universe when the show seemed to make connie's mom the bad-guy when she doesn't want her daughter to play with swords.

5. - Top - End - #215
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    I am not clear on whether this constant cutting of corners in the art is due to a side project, or if it's just Jeph wanting more free time.
    Well he did say he has a new puppy. That could be related.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

6. - Top - End - #216
    Barbarian in the Playground

That is indeed Veronica. She is showing her age (and also probably doesn't have on makeup).

What I want to know is where did Jim's glasses go?

7. - Top - End - #217
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Beelzebub1111 View Post
    Implied by her reaction to him saying no power tools. and Martin's mom basically chastising him for being concerned about his daughter's well-being. It's just so odd that the tone is so against a father that clearly cares about his preteen(?) daughter's safety.

It's like when in steven universe when the show seemed to make connie's mom the bad-guy when she doesn't want her daughter to play with swords.
    And it would have believable writing for her to react with happiness at the restriction? You're reading way more into the tone here than I think is warranted.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    We should try to make that a thing; I think it might help civility. Hey, GitP, let's try to make this a thing: when you're arguing optimization strategies, RAW-logic, and similar such things that you'd never actually use in a game, tag your post [THEORETICAL] and/or use green text

8. - Top - End - #218

She is Sam's stepmother, so by Grimm's Law she has to hate Sam. That's why she doesn't want him to care about Sam's wellbeing.

I wonder what Marten thinks of Sam's dad. First he went for his ex, then he married his mother.
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

9. - Top - End - #219
    Ettin in the Playground

Isn't this probably in character for Veronica? It always seemed like she had a very... relaxed attitude toward some things, I guess.

It might even be setting up a clash between her and whassisname the baker over parenting styles.

10. - Top - End - #220
    Ettin in the Playground

That's a misreading. The punishment is being portrayed as quite reasonable. Sam is sad because she's being punished, not because she's being unreasonably punished. And Marten's mom only chastises Jim when the concern reaches the point of "She didn't talk back, should we take her to the ER?" When he was displaying regular concern and handing down a regular punishment, no one objected.

11. - Top - End - #221

Personally I'd more in favor of a "You're going to classes and tutoring on how to use them safely until it's well engraved on your head and sticks" punishment, but yeah, what he did was perfectly reasonable and even rather lenient.
    My avatar used to be a W.S.D. (Weapon of Sanity Destruction)
    "I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."
    Quote Originally Posted by tomaO2 View Post
    After reading the Dominic Deagen forum threads, can you really accuse me of bashing? Read it again. That is the kind of thing that is pure venom. They don't even take it seriously anymore. It's just done for fun.

12. - Top - End - #222
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Felius View Post
    Personally I'd more in favor of a "You're going to classes and tutoring on how to use them safely until it's well engraved on your head and sticks" punishment, but yeah, what he did was perfectly reasonable and even rather lenient.
    Teaching Sam how to use power tools correctly and exposing her to practice seems more like a reward than a punishment.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

13. - Top - End - #223
    Titan in the Playground

He can say "No power tools." at this point for full consequences impact, and then after a few weeks make it a point that he's going to get her proper training before she starts messing with them. It's not like he can ban her from using power tools forever.
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

The Worldbuilding Forum -- where realities are born.

14. - Top - End - #224
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Teaching Sam how to use power tools correctly and exposing her to practice seems more like a reward than a punishment.
    Why does it have to be one or the other? She didn't make an injury deliberately or from negligence, just ignorance. It seems perfectly fine to me to have the response be 'you're going to learn how to use them safely, and if you screw up after being taught how not to, then you get in trouble'.

15. - Top - End - #225
    Ettin in the Playground

Frankly, given that Sam is interested in learning a trade, banning her from it seems a bit much. She's probably learned part of the lesson about machine safety via ripped-off nail, so after a standard "think about how stupid you were" punishment, I'd rather have her learn how to safely do something she has a genuine interest in.
    Last edited by John Cribati; 2018-08-13 at 03:54 PM.

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

16. - Top - End - #226
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by John Cribati View Post
    Frankly, given that Sam is interested in learning a trade, banning her from it seems a bit much. She's probably learned part of the lesson about machine via ripped-off nail, so after a standard "think about how stupid you were" punishment, I'd rather have her learn how to safely do something she has a genuine interest in.
    I think part of the problem is that she isn't keeping him in the loop at all. She wanted to learn swordfighting, so she asked him and he set her up with a professional class. But with this she was ostensibly just hanging out with friends and drawing things, so its got undertones of her lying about what she was up to. Especially since she's had problems with just running off and being evasive about what she was actually up to before.

17. - Top - End - #227
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    Marten's mom lost her lips.
    She probably kissed a Dremel.
    Play your character, not your alignment.

18. - Top - End - #228
    Troll in the Playground

He's being harsh, but fair. This IS Sam, after all; Faye should have known better than to trust her not to do something wrong the moment her back was turned.

19. - Top - End - #229

Quote Originally Posted by John Campbell View Post
    She probably kissed a Dremel.
    Kinky.

Faye's only slightly off the hook with Jim. Bubbles "positive influence" turns out to be an ace in the hole for Ms. Whitaker.

20. - Top - End - #230
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Argh. Im overcome with the desire to slap Jim here. Sam is HIS child, not Faye's. If he has reason to believe she shouldn't be left alone unsupervised, he probably shouldn't let her do things like go to a machine shop without him. They aren't her babysitters, they aren't her formal instructors. Frankly, they aren't obligated to watch her at all.

21. - Top - End - #231
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Argh. Im overcome with the desire to slap Jim here. Sam is HIS child, not Faye's. If he has reason to believe she shouldn't be left alone unsupervised, he probably shouldn't let her do things like go to a machine shop without him. They aren't her babysitters, they aren't her formal instructors. Frankly, they aren't obligated to watch her at all.
    Actually they under obligations, legally, and quite a few. Union Robotics is a business, not a private facility, and Faye and Bubbles are not Sam's relatives or licensed childcare providers. So she's either working or undergoing an educational experience, and Faye and Bubbles aren't licensed to provide the latter so that leaves working. It is explicitly illegal under Massachusetts Law for any worker under 18 to 'use buffing or polishing equipment' (and that took me approximately ten seconds to google, so this isn't hard to locate).

Jim would be fully within his rights to press criminal charges against Faye in this situation. That would be massively disproportionate to what actually happened and tonal discordant with the events of the comic, but that's the legal landscape. Sam really should not be anywhere near the shop during business hours or while equipment is in operation, especially not without a guardian present.
    Now publishing a webnovel travelogue.

Resvier: a P6 homebrew setting

22. - Top - End - #232

Griffon

I think Jim is being remarkably generous, under the circumstances. Faye took it upon herself to show off the tools to Sam, without Jim's parental consent (Sam is only 14 years old, IIRC), and Sam got hurt in the process due to lax supervision. The fault is entirely Faye's

Sam shouldn't have been there; Union Robotics is a business, and as a member of the public she has no right or need to be touching anything beyond the front door and a seat in whatever passes for a reception area. As a minor on the premises of an industrial area she should have had direct supervision at all times.

Faye should have known better. Sam was there without knowledge or permission from her father, and also is a notorious moron. There was no need to let her handle the tools for any reason beyond Faye's own amusement, and even if there were a reason and/or we could somehow interpret the event as Sam being some kind of trainee or employee then Sam's PPE and formal training was woefully lacking even before she was left alone.

So yes, Faye; you're the ******* in this situation and now that it's come back to hurt someone near to you then you're looking for sympathy. As usual.
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

23. - Top - End - #233
    Ogre in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mechalich View Post
    Actually they under obligations, legally, and quite a few. Union Robotics is a business, not a private facility, and Faye and Bubbles are not Sam's relatives or licensed childcare providers. So she's either working or undergoing an educational experience, and Faye and Bubbles aren't licensed to provide the latter so that leaves working. It is explicitly illegal under Massachusetts Law for any worker under 18 to 'use buffing or polishing equipment' (and that took me approximately ten seconds to google, so this isn't hard to locate).
    Sam doesn't work there; she is not employed by Faye and Bubbles. And while she may have arguably been undergoing an educational experience, since Faye and Bubbles weren't charging her for it, whether or not they are licensed to do so is a moot point.

Jim would be fully within his rights to press criminal charges against Faye in this situation. That would be massively disproportionate to what actually happened and tonal discordant with the events of the comic, but that's the legal landscape. Sam really should not be anywhere near the shop during business hours or while equipment is in operation, especially not without a guardian present.
    The real problem for Union Robotics in this situation is if their insurance provider finds out that they let someone not employed there, and a minor at that, into the work area.

24. - Top - End - #234

No, really, is that Marten's mom? I don't see anything in common. The face is broader, she doesn't have the lips or the wrinkles around the eyes, the hairstyle is entirely different, as are the glasses...

25. - Top - End - #235

Quote Originally Posted by Mechalich View Post
    It is explicitly illegal under Massachusetts Law for any worker under 18 to 'use buffing or polishing equipment' (and that took me approximately ten seconds to google, so this isn't hard to locate).
    Huh, those seem rather strict.
    Also quite unspecific. Keep those dangerous rags away from the kids.

"Children grow up to be people? All the children I knew grew up to be machines."
    ~Augustus von Fabelrath~
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Somebody should have that sigged.
    Member of Peelee's Church of Sudden Skylight

26. - Top - End - #236

...and then they banged.

27. - Top - End - #237

Imo the focus on this wound is misdirected. Who cares if she gets herself temporary injuries they will heal, what is more important imo is how much chance there is in something for permanent damage. Which probably isn't super high with a dremel but still imo the important part in looking at the child suitability of something.

28. - Top - End - #238

Yeah. Which is why i find the "no power tools" stipulation entirely reasonable. This time, it's a dremel. Next time, it may be a saw. And I would also see it as entirely reasonable if Jim said "You can't go into that shop. You can see Faye and Bubbles of course, they are good people, but you can't do it while they are at work in a shop full of dangerous tools." She has shown she can't be quite trusted with them yet, and that Faye and Bubbles can't properly supervise here in that context. If it interests her, let her learn the basics at school or in a course, not someone's workplace.
    Last edited by Eldan; 2018-08-14 at 06:14 AM.

29. - Top - End - #239
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

Obviously, Bubbles and Faye are liable and were grossly negligent. However, this is where my suspension of disbelief collapses (or more accurately, I just don't view the scene with the same perspective as I would the same scenario in real life). Sam wouldn't be there at all, except for comic logic. I don't care how irresponsible Faye is being cast as being, Bubbles is a professional. A business that could last a day has better discipline than allowing such things to happen. OTOH, they are also a business that draws phalli on their clients who keep coming back for repeat business (because they can't stop breaking their newly repaired stuff)--i.e. a wacky cartoon universe business.

30. - Top - End - #240
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    No, really, is that Marten's mom? I don't see anything in common. The face is broader, she doesn't have the lips or the wrinkles around the eyes, the hairstyle is entirely different, as are the glasses...
    She started eating more, got her hair done, does her makeup differently, and got contact lenses.

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.