New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Banned

MindFlayer

Default Re: A thought-- spell-less Warlock?

One minor thing I'd suggest (and this also applies to the normal Warlock) - I'd have them start with Eldritch Blast automatically.

It's a somewhat minor point, but it seems weird to have a class designed around an optional ability.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebonack View Post
    It looks like someone beat me to it, but if the Warlocks boons also became full class features that progressively grew in power with level I think that would provide plenty of material to work from.

A few Warlock only spells would probably need to be converted into Invocations for this concept to get off the ground, but I think it could work pretty well.

When I get some more time I'll toss together a mockup.
    If you find the time I'd really like to see that.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Cliché View Post
    One minor thing I'd suggest (and this also applies to the normal Warlock) - I'd have them start with Eldritch Blast automatically.

It's a somewhat minor point, but it seems weird to have a class designed around an optional ability.
    Eldritch Blast as a class feature removes a bunch of dipping abuse, too. It's a solid improvement from both a convenience and a balance perspective.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    Eldritch Blast as a class feature removes a bunch of dipping abuse, too. It's a solid improvement from both a convenience and a balance perspective.
    Wait, how's that stop dipping?
    Argue in good faith.

And try to remember that these are people.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

Beholder

You could try bringing back the sorting of invocations into different grades (Least, Lesser, Greater, and Dark) that are "unlocked" at different levels from 3.5e. It might be easier to balance than having every ability in the class be available at level 1, and it might make a good "substitute" for Mystic Arcanum. Plus, it'll probably line up well with the tiers of play that 5e's balance is built around.
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Is this a good OJEBUWIP WHAT IN THE NINE ABYSSES, or a bad OJFBUEWIP WHAT IN THE NINE ABYSSES?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Jake View Post
    "Oh no, I'm bleeding out of my eyes...it's only now that I see that the delivery fee isn't a substitute for tipping your pizza guy!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Arguss View Post
    "No" means "yes".
    Quote Originally Posted by daremetoidareyo View Post
    My other idea was to be a troglodyte were-cockroach and just smell bad in people's squares.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by krugaan View Post
    Who said anything would "stop dipping"?

6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by krugaan View Post
    I imagine it would be "get a second beam at WARLOCK level 5, 11, and 17," rather than character level.

Quote Originally Posted by ATHATH View Post
    You could try bringing back the sorting of invocations into different grades (Least, Lesser, Greater, and Dark) that are "unlocked" at different levels from 3.5e. It might be easier to balance than having every ability in the class be available at level 1, and it might make a good "substitute" for Mystic Arcanum. Plus, it'll probably line up well with the tiers of play that 5e's balance is built around.
    There are already plenty of level-gated invocations, so that shouldn't be an issue.
    Hill Giant Games
    I make indie gaming books for you!
    Spoiler
    Show

STaRS: A non-narrativeist, generic rules-light system.
    Grod's Guide to Greatness, 2e: A big book of player options for 5e.
    Grod's Grimoire of the Grotesque: An even bigger book of variant and expanded rules for 5e.
    Giants and Graveyards: My collected 3.5 class fixes and more.

Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    Grod's Law: You cannot and should not balance bad mechanics by making them annoying to use

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    I imagine it would be "get a second beam at WARLOCK level 5, 11, and 17," rather than character level.
    That should be part of agonizing blast, without the 4 * +5, eldritch blast is just another cantrip.
    Trust but verify. There's usually a reason why I believe you can't do something.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by bid View Post
    That should be part of agonizing blast, without the 4 * +5, eldritch blast is just another cantrip.
    This, pretty much. If anything, you could add extra invocations to add utility to EB (although I admit there are a ton already).

We already have extra damage, range, slow, push, pull... Did 4e already do shapes? Never played that edition.

Or even have something like smite be applicable to blast?
    Argue in good faith.

And try to remember that these are people.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

I could see it.

They've actually released almost this precise idea... A metric ton of invocations, with at will, encounter, and daily powers. They just made it a bit too complicated and most people don't play it. It's called the Mystic.

You could, by the same token, using the Mystic Discipline skeleton as a collection of invocations would work with the warlock mechanical skeleton, even down to the "use spell slot" invocations (designed to introduce non-warlock spells that scale with level, such as Thief of Five Fates giving a scaling Bane... not that anyone would want that, as far as I can tell), but replacing it with a point system.

One of the reasons the Mystic's Psi Points got so unwieldy (going from 4 to... 71??) is because it was a LR based class. You replace that with a significantly smaller number of points due to the Warlock being a short-rest class, not unlike the Monk's Ki Points system.
    Always looking for critique of my 5E homebrew!

Quote Originally Posted by Bjarkmundur View Post
    ... does this stuff just come naturally to you? Do you even have to try anymore xD
    Quote Originally Posted by Man_Over_Game View Post
    Vogie is the sh**. I don't really have anything to contribute to the topic, just wanted to point that out.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Cliché View Post
    If you find the time I'd really like to see that.
    Ask and you shall receive.

Basic level outline would probably go something like-

1: Eldritch Patron, Eldritch Boon
    2: Hex 1d6, Eldritch Invocations
    3: Boon Feature
    4: Ability Score Increase
    5: Boon Feature, Hex 2d6
    6: Patron Feature
    7: Hex Feature
    8: Ability Score Increase
    9: Hex Feature
    10: Patron Feature
    11: Boon Feature, Hex 3d6
    12: Ability Score Increase
    13: Hex Feature
    14: Patron Feature
    15: Hex Feature
    16: Ability Score Increase
    17: Boon Feature, Hex 4d6
    18: Hex Feature
    19: Ability Score Increase
    20: Patron Feature

So I figure Patron choice nets you two cantrips specific to that Patron, Eldritch Blast, and one cantrip of your choice from the Warlock list. Hex would be simplified a bit, triggers once per round when you damage something and inflicts the indicated amount of damage. That makes its damage a bit more reliable and allows it to be used with a wider selection of class features without any loss of effectiveness. The Hex Features would be a nice list of additional nasty effects to pick from (contagious hexes, area of effect hexes, hexes that trigger off allied damage, more painful hexes, hexes that gimp attack rolls or saves, ect). I'm pretty sure you would be able to get away with exactly the same number of Invocations granted at the same levels given that the Warlock is getting a heap of other features.

This is pretty bare bones, but it feels like a pretty solid starting point. With things like Hex and Boons getting their invocations rolled into major class features, that would save plenty of room for adding new Invocations that that mimic key Warlock spells. To keep the Patron spell lists relevant, I think a few Patron-only Invocations would be worth tossing together, too.
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    The Eternal Game Nightmære Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.