New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Saga Edition: Dawn of Defiance

So I had been running a game of SWSE, with the module Dawn of Defiance in the past. Only got two chapters in before it had to go on hiatus for a bit. Now we're starting it up again soon, and we're picking up where we left off. Just some musings and requests for any insight or suggestions.

Spoilers added out of courtesy, though the module's kinda old by this point.

Spoiler: End of Ch. 2, beginning Ch. 3
    Show
    The party rescued Jedi Master Denia from Cato Neimoidia, and they've brought her back to the Resurgence. The Felucian shaman and the Jedi padawan now have a mentor for the time being. I've given her a slight personality change to "growth comes from conflict" being a central motto to her teaching, whether through peaceful arbitration or with a lightsaber. Makes her a little more of a black sheep to the Council when it was active. Of course she'll have ultimately peaceful goals for such teachings. The Jedi player was forbidden from joining the Clone Wars by her master, and never liked that. Let's stoke that desire for conflict, shall we?

I gave Darga's majordomo some paraphernalia about the Baran Do sages, so the Felucian has something to study if he wants to be away from the Jedi way of handling things. So far I've made Denia a little wary of training him, despite his interest in getting his hands on a lightsaber.

However, the next leg of the adventure, Bespin and the card tournament, should hopefully be a place where the pilot can shine. The character is feeling overwhelmed by all this 'rebellion' nonsense, and he just don't want no trabble and to get work flying ships. He's going to need some development that solidifies his dedication to the movement, or at least a person in the rebellion. The obvious choice would be Jedi character, but this player plays both those characters. Was thinking of bringing in a Mandalorian merc he has a history of working with/running from the empire with who could be working for Bail Organa at this point for a small sidequest. Suggestions welcome on this one.

When I was reading over the module, I could not, for the life of me, find where the prize money for winning the tournament was. Anyone know where that is? Or how much it is?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Banned

ClericGuy

Default Re: Saga Edition: Dawn of Defiance

Quote Originally Posted by Greymane View Post
    So I had been running a game of SWSE, with the module Dawn of Defiance in the past. Only got two chapters in before it had to go on hiatus for a bit. Now we're starting it up again soon, and we're picking up where we left off. Just some musings and requests for any insight or suggestions.

Spoilers added out of courtesy, though the module's kinda old by this point.

Show
    The party rescued Jedi Master Denia from Cato Neimoidia, and they've brought her back to the Resurgence. The Felucian shaman and the Jedi padawan now have a mentor for the time being. I've given her a slight personality change to "growth comes from conflict" being a central motto to her teaching, whether through peaceful arbitration or with a lightsaber. Makes her a little more of a black sheep to the Council when it was active. Of course she'll have ultimately peaceful goals for such teachings. The Jedi player was forbidden from joining the Clone Wars by her master, and never liked that. Let's stoke that desire for conflict, shall we?

I gave Darga's majordomo some paraphernalia about the Baran Do sages, so the Felucian has something to study if he wants to be away from the Jedi way of handling things. So far I've made Denia a little wary of training him, despite his interest in getting his hands on a lightsaber.

However, the next leg of the adventure, Bespin and the card tournament, should hopefully be a place where the pilot can shine. The character is feeling overwhelmed by all this 'rebellion' nonsense, and he just don't want no trabble and to get work flying ships. He's going to need some development that solidifies his dedication to the movement, or at least a person in the rebellion. The obvious choice would be Jedi character, but this player plays both those characters. Was thinking of bringing in a Mandalorian merc he has a history of working with/running from the empire with who could be working for Bail Organa at this point for a small sidequest. Suggestions welcome on this one.

When I was reading over the module, I could not, for the life of me, find where the prize money for winning the tournament was. Anyone know where that is? Or how much it is?
    If you can, get your hands on the old Sabbacc cards from the WEG d6 module.

Implement some rules for cheating (bearing in mind the Scoundrel talent for Gambling). DC 20 Deception check to avoid the 'shifting' phase and keep the cards in your hand kind of thing (with getting caught equalling something bad).

Actually have the players play Sabbacc.

Was really cool back in the day when we did it.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    The buy-in is 10k credits, winner-takes-all. "More than 51 competitors have entered the tournament (plus any heroes who entered)," so the pot (before the administrative overhead, of course) is over half a million credits.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Malifice View Post
    If you can, get your hands on the old Sabbacc cards from the WEG d6 module.

Implement some rules for cheating (bearing in mind the Scoundrel talent for Gambling). DC 20 Deception check to avoid the 'shifting' phase and keep the cards in your hand kind of thing (with getting caught equalling something bad).

Actually have the players play Sabbacc.

Was really cool back in the day when we did it.
    I love the idea, and I looked into it, but I can't seem to find the cards. I could find the module in question, but dang that hing is like, 60 bucks. I wonder if I can find some cards on Etsy or something...

I also really like the idea of having rules for cheating. Most of the players are so-so at gambling, but the Zeltron Scoundrel has like, a +16 to Deception, so having her get by underhandedly sounds great.

Quote Originally Posted by Mando Knight View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    The buy-in is 10k credits, winner-takes-all. "More than 51 competitors have entered the tournament (plus any heroes who entered)," so the pot (before the administrative overhead, of course) is over half a million credits.
    Awesome, thanks. I couldn't find it for the life of me. So far the players are super psyched about the tournament.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

We ran a simple version that you could 'aid another' yourself using Deception to give you a +2 bonus for cheating, but that if you still failed the Gambling roll, you got caught and thrown out of the tournament immediately.
    Check out our Sugar Fuelled Gamers roleplaying Actual Play Podcasts. Over 300 hours of gaming audio, including Dungeons and Dragons, Savage Worlds, and Call of Cthulhu. We've raced an evil Phileas Fogg around the world, travelled in time, come face to face with Nyarlathotep, become kings, gotten shipwrecked, and, of course, saved the world!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Banned

ClericGuy

I love the idea, and I looked into it, but I can't seem to find the cards. I could find the module in question, but dang that hing is like, 60 bucks. I wonder if I can find some cards on Etsy or something...

I also really like the idea of having rules for cheating. Most of the players are so-so at gambling, but the Zeltron Scoundrel has like, a +16 to Deception, so having her get by underhandedly sounds great.

Awesome, thanks. I couldn't find it for the life of me. So far the players are super psyched about the tournament.
    You can find them if you look hard enough. Theyre out there and totally worth it..

The game is basically very similar to Blackjack, but with the addition of cards with a negative value. You're trying to get a hand of 23 (or minus 23) with the best possible hand being a card with a value of 'Zero' and a '2' and a '3' (I think it was called a Fools Sabbac or something like that).

You all put in the initial ante, and then match that ante by throwing equal credits in the 'Sabbacc pot'. It might be (for example) 10 credits to buy in for each player (so its 10 credits for the hand, and another 10 credits in the pot, per player).

You all get dealt 2 cards, then comes the ante phase (raises/ folds, like poker) basically wagering on your current hand.... but this is then followed by 'the shifting' phase.

During the shifting phase you roll a d6, and on a 3+every PC randomly selects a card from the hands of the person to their right and takes that card. Your good hand, might be replaced with rubbish all of a sudden!

On a succesful Gambling check, you can choose not to lose a card during shifting and keep your hand intact. Mess up the roll, and you get caught and forfeit everything (and likely have to deal with some Gamoreaan bouncers!).

Pretty sure you could also make an opposed Deception vs Insight or Perception check to look at another players hand as well (i.e. to see if they were bluffing).

After the shifting phase, a PC can call. If no-one calls, every player that chooses can draw 1 more card.

Then comes the ante phase again, and then the dreaded shifting phase again.

If a player wins a hand, he gets the total ante on the table. You then ante up for the next game (placing more money in the Sabbacc pot as well). If a player wins a hand with a hand of Sabbac (cards that toal 23, -23 or 'fools sabbacc' a [0, 2 and a 3]) he also wins the money that has been buiding up in the Sabbacc pot.

It was totally sick. I recall our Jedi hocking his lightsaber for extra credits trying win the Sabbac Pot.

Our first Stock Leight freighter was bought with a massive win at Sabbacc!
    Last edited by Malifice; 2018-08-10 at 01:38 AM.