1. - Top - End - #331
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: Wrath of the Righteous - Worldwound Incursion [IC]

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    (1d20+7)[23] Sense Motive, in case you were dishonest

"Very well. Strike me and you'll regret it."
    A woman climbs up once you drop the ladder back. She doesn't have a weapon ready, so that's promising. Her composure has broken more than a little, and clearly shows that she was not a big fan of getting trapped in her lair.
    "Here" she says, pulling a small, silvery object from her bag. "Souvenir from Kenabres. There's a few more back down there, as insurance. Let me go, and you can have them."
    It seems to shine faintly.

2. - Top - End - #332
    Titan in the Playground

Luna takes the object, assuming the woman does not object, and studies it, looking for magical auras as well (Detect Magic). "Thank you. Can you tell me what this is?"

3. - Top - End - #333
    Colossus in the Playground

Hesper watches the ladder. "How many more are down there?" she asks.

4. - Top - End - #334
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

She hands over the silver scale. Luna can feel the essence within it stir at her touch. Understanding flows to her. This is a leftover scale of Terendelev, the silver dragon that served as guardian of Kenabres, and was slain defending the city. It holds her ability to shapeshift, allowing it's bearer to take on a different humanoid form. The magical aura is overwhelming, leaving her briefly stunned by the intensity of it.

"It's a scale of a silver dragon, somehow imbued with power. Power that I cannot unlock. There are more down there, along with two more mongrelkin."

She moves to leave.

Show
    Second Scale
    Three times per day as a standard action, a scale can be used to cast alter self. While disguised, the target gains a +4 bonus on all Bluff checks made against evil creatures.

5. - Top - End - #335
    Ettin in the Playground

”Perhaps you could not unlock it due to fate. Regardless, we wish you no harm and would even like it if you could join us in our quest to cleanse the evil here. There is good in you. I can sense it.”

6. - Top - End - #336
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

"Join us?" Anevia says, shocked, "She's lucky we're worth our word."
    "Evil needs to be rooted out. She will stand against us again" Aravashinal says. "But right now, it's best to let her off."

The cultist woman scurries off. That leaves the two mongrelmen down below. They seemed willing to give up before and remain so now.

Under the watchful eyes of the party, they climb out, and Hesper climbs down to gather the other scales. She returns with them, and a bag full of other loot, including an ornate, locked wooden case as tall as the dwarf. It's slender, thin, and looks fit for shielding a blade. The mongrelmen say that it was also delivered from the surface, some time after the scales. For examination, like the scales.

"I wonder what's inside?" Horgus says, eyeing the case.

7. - Top - End - #337
    Ettin in the Playground

”I’m not sure, but its big!”

8. - Top - End - #338
    Titan in the Playground

Luna opens up the case carefully and examines inside. "Diamond, could you also see if there's any important paperwork anywhere? Some clue as to what the cultists were doing down here?"

To the surrendered mongrelmen, she asks, "What would you like to do? Is there any way you can reconcile with the people of Neotholme?"

9. - Top - End - #339
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

"We... We've come to see that the righteous are not without their champions. Maybe... there's hope?" one of the mismatched creatures says.

Diamond finds a hastily hidden note that Hesper missed when she was getting the gear.

Show
    At work, I'll fill in the loot and the contents of the note after getting home in the next post.Nefarious things afoot, but the most important thing is this.

Kenabres is still there. The demon host moved on without mopping up.

10. - Top - End - #340
    Titan in the Playground

"Yeah, against demons sometimes you need to use your head instead of brute force. Look, we'll accompany you to Neotholme, and make sure the others treat you fairly. But before we walk you back there, do you know of anything else hidden in your lair that is of use? We're looking to save the city or at least save people when we get back up onto the surface, and every little bit could help. You want to make up for working with an evil cult? Start here."

11. - Top - End - #341
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

"We'll search the place" Emilie and Anevia say, "And Horgus can keep company for Aravashinal."
    "Well, I'm happy never going to Neathholm again." the nobleman says. His abrasive attitude has mellowed out a little.

You travel to neathholm with the two mongrelfolk. You get a meeting with Chief Sull. He is both surprised and delighted at the arrivals. "It is always a happy occasion when lost friends return home." he tells the two mongrels. "You have strayed from the path, but you did not hurt your kind. If you wish, you are welcome to stay here."
    "Chief..." one of them says. "I couldn't. There is too much said and done between us. I... need to make up for what we have done. There are still others down here, the cultists in the dark. I... we would hunt them down. Make this place safe."
    Sull ponders. "If you succeed, you are welcome with us."
    The mongrel simply bows. He turns to Diamond and Luna. "May we have our weapons back?" he asks.

12. - Top - End - #342
    Titan in the Playground

Luna nods. “If Chief Sull trusts you on this, then I am fine with rearming you. Do you think you could tally Wenduag into turning away from the path as well? She is still a prisoner in this village last I saw, and unharmed.”

13. - Top - End - #343

Hesper inspects the ostensibly holy objects, and doesn't interject into the mongrelmen's discussion.

14. - Top - End - #344
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Spoiler: Loots
    Show
    Masterwork dagger
    Masterwork glaive
    Potion A
    2 Potion B
    Wand A
    Scroll A
    Scroll B
    Bag of jewels worth 180gp
    Magical shield
    Magical Ring
    Locked Weapon case (DC 25 lock) which Hesper can pick by taking 20 while the team is away.
    Total of 300gp

Spoiler: Terendelev's Scales
    Show
    Four scales from the guardian dragon of Kenabres, her death imparted some of her power to each of them. The powers of the scales only work when a creature carries a single one. Carrying two

• First Scale: Three times per day as a standard action, a scale can be used to cast levitate. A pillar of roiling clouds rises below the levitating object or creature, growing and shrinking with the target's altitude. This pillar is 5 feet in diameter (regardless of the target's size) and provides concealment (200/o miss chance) to any creature or object wholly contained within.
    • Second Scale: Three times per day as a standard action, a scale can be used to cast alter self. While disguised, the target gains a +4 bonus on all Bluff checks made against evil creatures.
    • Third Scale: Three times per day as a standard action, a scale can be used to cast resist elements-but only against electricity or cold.
    • Fourth Scale: Three times per day as a standard action, a scale can be used to cast align weapon, but only to make a weapon lawful or good. Unlike a normal align weapon spell, this effect can be cast on an unarmed strike or natural weapon.

All effects happen at CL 19

Spoiler: Note
    Show
    Half of the note is burned away
    ...once Vorlesh has finished with the Wardstone and Kenabres is no longer of interest to us, you are to return to my side. Excellent news regarding the salvage of Yaniel's sword from the museum as well - Bring it with you, for I believe this weapon could be useful once we corrupt it. Before you leave for Drezen, stop by the three safe houses (Nyserian Manor, Topaz Solutions and the Tower of Estrod. The Password remains "I've new material to the archives" for now). Ensure no evidence is left behind
    May Lord Deskari and Lord Baphomet watch over you!
    S.V

At the mongrelman lair, Hesper works to inspect the items. She can't identify the potions by taste, nor does she have the magical ability to inspect the enchanted items.

At the urging of Emilie and with a bit of assistance from Anevia, Hesper manages to unlock the weapon case. A gleaming golden longsword sits in a velvet-lined display case.
    "That's... Radiance" Anevia breathes.
    "Impossible" Aravashinal exclaims. "It was under guard of..." he stops, sagging his shoulders. "People who are dead now" he concludes.
    "That's the legendary sword of the old crusader heroine Yaniel!" Emilie explains. "It lost power after she died."
    Aravashinal turns his blind, covered eyes at the burned girl. "How do you know that?"
    "I broke into your library, duh" she says. "I read it in a book."
    "Insolent little…"

"Calm down" Esper says. "This isn't a time to remember old hatreds. We've come through so much here."
    The two quiet down.

Before Diamond and Luna return, you manage to clear the rooms visited thus far, and take the valuables therein.

Back in Neathholm, the two former traitors reclaim their equipment. "She was pretty broken up when she was fully turned" they explain. "The cultists sacrificed our old leader and his mates and summoned a pair of demons using that. If just a few sacrifices could do that, how vast a horde could be conjured up by sacrifice of the population of the surface cities. One has already fallen. She dedicated herself fully to the demon cause out of perfect terror. She'll need more than your victory here to turn back"

15. - Top - End - #345

"Esper, you should use it--at least for now," Hesper says. "I'd like to have this scale, if that's all right with the rest of you." She picks up the fourth scale, the one that casts align weapon.

16. - Top - End - #346
    Titan in the Playground

Code:
    Lunalesca
    HP: 17/17 | AC: 19 | Init: +2 | Fort/Ref/Wil = 5/2/7
    Diplomacy/Bluff +10 | Knowledge Religion/History +7 | Knowledge Planes +9 | Perception +10 | 
    Resources:  Channels 4/5, Fire Bolt 6/7
    Effects:  Bless 
    Luna sighs as she hears how Wenduag is still gripped by terror. "Well, I hope she will return to you in time. For now, our group must move on and save who we can from the surface. Thank you again for your hospitality, Chief Sull."

She and Diamond return to where the others are, and Luna is pleased with the recovery of the scales. "Eventually, we can find a cleric of enough power, and perhaps bring that great protector back from the dead. Anyone mind if I take this scale? Trickery is a useful weapon when the enemy has overwhelming force."

After taking the scale that allows her to alter her form and lie better, she points towards the areas the group hasn't explored. "There's an upper floor we have yet to check out. It's probably on our way to the surface anyways. Are we ready?" Assuming yes, the cleric leads the way!
    Spoiler: ooc
    Show

Take Second Scale: Three times per day as a standard action, a scale can be used to cast alter self. While disguised, the target gains a +4 bonus on all Bluff checks made against evil creatures.

17. - Top - End - #347
    Ettin in the Playground

(OOC: Wow, I missed a lot!)

Diamond looks at the note so he can read it to the others.

18. - Top - End - #348
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

You're ready. Esper takes the blade, which bursts into golden light at her touch. She drops it, and light cuts away. Once she grips it again, the magical glow resumes once more.

"It feels like the chieftain's mace. This weapon is as powerful as that" the paladin says.
    You climb the ladder upstairs, assisting those with injuries that hinder them. Upstairs, there's an empty guard post. Beyond that, a larger cavern, blocked from floor to ceiling with a tall brick wall. The cavern's vaulted roof is supported by older pillars, while the wall is a later addition. There is a small door to the dark within. Twisting corridors can be seen beyond. A maze.

Show
    March order. I imagine Esper goes first here.

19. - Top - End - #349

"I'll take the rear," Hesper says.

20. - Top - End - #350
    Titan in the Playground

Luna hoists her shield up. "I'll take second."

21. - Top - End - #351
    Ettin in the Playground

”So long as I can get a clear shot, I can fit in wherever.”

Diamond’s eyes dart nervously about as he prepares himself mentally for the fighting that must soon lie ahead. Mazes made Diamond uneasy due to their closeness. Diamond was looking forward to being back out in a wide open space.

22. - Top - End - #352
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Esper moves into the labyrinth first, Luna behind her, then Diamond. Her sword throws long shadows on the walls. She moves slowly, the path branching. Sometimes, she can see a dead end. At others, there were more exits or turns. She moves slowly, taking a right. Dead end. On the left, the way turns to the right, and branches. She backs down, wanting to make sure that there won't be anything behind them. She goes forward, until blocked. Left and right. The left seems to connect to the previous turn. To the right she goes. And therein, after a turn, the light reveals a monster. A mass of swollen flesh rears up. It's barely the height of the paladin, but it has a bulk to it. She lashes out at it, and the monster lets out a sudden scream. Another answers it from further in the labyrinth.

Show

....l. . .l . . .l
    __l. . . l. . . l
    . . . . . . . H l
    __ . . . . . . l
    . l . . . l. D l
    . l . . . l . . l
    . l . . . l. L .l
    . l____l . . l
    l dmn . E . l
    l________l

My book is home, I'll have it by Sunday. Crude map.

23. - Top - End - #353
    Titan in the Playground

Code:
    Lunalesca
    HP: 17/17 | AC: 19+4=23 | Init: +2 | Fort/Ref/Wil = 5/2/7
    Diplomacy/Bluff +10 | Knowledge Religion/History +7 | Knowledge Planes +9 | Perception +10 | 
    Effects:  Totall Defense 
    The aasimar cleric says, "There might be more around. I'll guard our rear!" before she moves past Diamond and gets into a defensive posture.

Show

Move north 2 squares. Use TOTAL DEFENSE for +4 AC
    Last edited by Frosty; 2019-05-08 at 11:36 PM.

24. - Top - End - #354
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Esper raises Radiance, calling on Sarenrae to bring an end to the cruelty of these demons.

Up to the left, another slimy demon emerges from beyond the corner. It tries to take a juicy bite out of whoever is the closest.

Show
    (1d20+9)[17] Esper Smites Evil
    (1d8+10)[15] Damage
    (1d20+4)[24], (1d20+4)[22], (1d20+4)[13] vs Esper
    (1d4+1)[4], (1d4+1)[2], (1d4+1)[4] damages
    (1d20+4)[10] Other Dretch vs whoever is in front up top, probably Luna
    (1d4+1)[4]

25. - Top - End - #355
    Ettin in the Playground

The new demon emerging, diamond makes a single, well aimed attack, then moves back to be exactly 20 feet away if he isn't already.

Show
    based on the map, moving 20 feet away may not be possible.
    Last edited by Zhentarim; 2019-05-12 at 05:13 PM.

26. - Top - End - #356
    Titan in the Playground

Code:
    Lunalesca
    HP: 17/17 | AC: 19+4=23 | Init: +2 | Fort/Ref/Wil = 5/2/7
    Effects:  Totall Defense 
    "Shoot them. don't worry about me too much! I can hold it off."

Show

Continue total defense for +4 AC
    Last edited by Frosty; 2019-05-14 at 04:45 AM.

27. - Top - End - #357
    Ettin in the Playground

Diamond reloads his pistol, taking no further action.

28. - Top - End - #358

Hesper steps forward and stabs the first demon.

Spoiler
    Show

Move five feet into the space vacated by Luna, and stab the southern dretch. Attack: (1d20+3)[5] Critical threat roll: (1d20+3)[9] Damage: (1d6+1)[3] Critical damage: (1d6+1)[4]

29. - Top - End - #359
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

The stinking dretch recoils before Esper's righteous power, desperately attacking the Paladin in a terrified frenzy. It's panicked thoughts prompt the other dretch to cast a spell. It vomits forth a noxious, stinking cloud that spreads throughout the labyrinth. The smell is vomit-inducing.

Show
    Everyone needs a Fortitude save vs Nauseated. And can make a Spellcraft check

Esper took 6 damage
    (1d20+10)[28]Esper attacks
    (1d8+8)[12] Smiting damage

(1d20+4)[16](1d20+4)[16](1d20+4)[13] Attacks to Luna
    (1d4+1)[3](1d4+1)[3](1d4+1)[2] damage
    Ignore this, I changed the demon's strategy and forgot to delete the rolls

(1d20+4)[17](1d20+4)[18](1d20+4)[18] Attacks to Esper if the demon lives
    (1d4+1)[3](1d4+1)[2](1d4+1)[2] damages
    It didn't.
    Last edited by Kallimakus; 2019-05-18 at 02:26 AM.

30. - Top - End - #360
    Titan in the Playground

Code:
    Lunalesca
    HP: 17/17 | AC: 19 | Init: +2 | Fort/Ref/Wil = 5/2/7
    Effects:  NAUSEATED
    Vomit-inducing indeed! It takes all of Luna's energy to just not spill her breakfast all over the floor! Of course, she's not doing anything else while her stomach churns so violently. "Oh by the gods! This is worse than the time one of my customers...nevermind, story time later."

Show

Luna is Nauseated and has no standard action. She holds her ground to protect her allies.
    Last edited by Frosty; 2019-05-20 at 11:35 PM.