New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 49 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Wrath of the Righteous - Worldwound Incursion [IC]

"No need for now. I can heal us all. I say we drag this bastard back to the nice mongrels' camp. We can interrogate her to find out what other defenses we can expect, and also find out more about demon cultist activity.

Woth that, Luna carefully heals everyone except the mongrel woman.

Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    Channel twice: (1d6)[3] (1d6)[6]
    3 channels left
    Last edited by Frosty; 2018-12-09 at 04:24 AM.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler: My prior combat posts
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zhentarim View Post
    Diamond fires off a single shot, the cavern reverberating with the loud bang and briefly illuminated by the pistol’s muzzle flash.
    Spoiler: Attack
    Show
    [roll0]
    [roll1]
    Using a paper cartridge to fire another shot, the cavern once again is illuminated. The sound deafening, everybody’s ears rang once more.

”For Kenebres!”

Spoiler: Rolls on Discord
    Show
    19 to hit, 3 damage
    Diamond uses another paper cartridge to fire another shot.
    Spoiler: Rolls
    Show
    [roll0]
    [roll1]
    Diamond, deciding the others could handle a round without him, reloads a barrel of his gun with a normal bullet.
    Diamond fired the bullet he loaded a round earlier.

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show
    [roll0]
    [roll1]
    Diamond loads another shot in his pistol.
    Diamond fires another bullet at the remaining mongrel.

Spoiler: rolls
    Show
    firearms use touch ac
    [roll0]
    [roll1]
    Diamond loads another shot into his pistol.
    Looks like I fired 2 paper cartrides, and 3 normal bullets. That means I have 67 regular bullets and 8 paper cartridges left. I took 20 gold from the loot pile and a potion of cure light wounds. After Luna healed the others, Diamond rescinded his offer to give away his cure light wounds potion.

”I think I’ll hold on to this handful of gold and this potion if everybody is all patched up. I’m up for whatever you think is best, Luna.”

Diamond follows the others.

3. - Top - End - #243
    Colossus in the Playground

Hesper smirks dryly at the quickly withdrawn offer of the healing potion.

"Thanks, Lunalesca. You're low on spells, I take it? All right, we can head back. Let's not split up next time. Anevia, Emilie, Aravashnial, and Horgus from the rest of us, I mean."

She'll help drag the mongrel leader back.

4. - Top - End - #244
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

The ragged but victorious group returns to Neathholm. They drag behind them the unconscious form of the mongrel leader. A small crowd gathers, curious but not straying too close. You are again admitted to the presence of the elder.

"You captured Wenduag. The ringleader" he says. "Take her out of my sight for now. I'd rather not face a reminder of our strife"

She is taken to a side room and bound. She comes to in about an hour. You ask some questions
    "How many more of you are there?"
    "Ten of us remained in our home."
    "Why are you working with the demon cultists?"
    "They offer us what this place never could. Thrill. Excitement. Blood."
    "What are their plans?"
    "To complete the sack of Kenabres. The head cultist was waiting for something to be delivered from the city."
    "What additional defenses are left?"
    "I see little reason to tell you. You'll find out"
    "Did you kill the chief's son?"
    This actually gets a small emotional response. Shock. "No. He's... dead?"

5. - Top - End - #245
    Ettin in the Playground

Diamond stoicly stands in the middle distance, silent.

6. - Top - End - #246
    Titan in the Playground

"The head cultist? He or she is not with you then? Too bad. Do you know what was they are waiting for?"

At the emotional response of Wenduag, Luna becomes more curious herself. "A day ago or so, we found a piece of jewelry belonging to him, at an abandoned camp site. We didn't see a body, however. That doesn't mean scavengers like maggots and giant flies couldn't have gotten it though. When was the last time you saw him?"

7. - Top - End - #247
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

"She is here beneath the ground. Though she would not tell me what she awaits." she says. "As for his son, he never came our way" she tells you. She sounds sincere. "I have no love for this place, but we don't kill our own. Even if they could be so much more if they opened their hearts and minds."

Aravashinal is listening intently, curious, as is Emilie, a little bit further away.
    Anevia and Horgus are less interested in this, both more alarmed upon hearing that the sack of Kenabres is still underway. That meant that they would be more active in pursuing success tomorrow after you rest.

It is time to rest and try again the next day, and decide what you want to do with Wenduag. How you treat her might influence the views of other mongrelfolk about you and surface folk in general. For better or worse.

8. - Top - End - #248

"You don't kill your own, but you were thrilled to hear that your cultist allies had done so, eh?" Hesper snorts. "It doesn't matter to me if we execute her now--I'll do it, if you'd rather not (she addresses this primarily to Lunalesca and then, in descending order, to Emilie, Anevia, Esper, and Aravashnial)--or ask Chief Sull if there's a way to hold her prisoner here, but if he can't be certain she'd be secured, then we should definitely kill her."

9. - Top - End - #249
    Titan in the Playground

Luna frowns. "You don't kill your own? You were so excited when you thought I had captured Chief Sull. That said, you should keep in mind what you said about having an open heart and mind, Tomorrow, our journey likely takes us back to finish what we started. If you truly don't want your own killed, then talk to chief Sull, and help us find a non-violent solution. If you do not, then you show your true colors. Our group's beef isn't with your group per se, but the fact that you're working with demon cultists."
    Last edited by Frosty; 2018-12-19 at 09:36 PM.

10. - Top - End - #250
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

"The only future for our people is to join with the "demon cultists"" she says. "And Sull is too proud to admit it. If he were not in charge..." she says. "Siding with you is to invite a doom just as certain as opposing you."

Hesper gets the following responses:
    "I'm no warrior. But the demons and their allies did this" Emilie says bitterly.
    "I think that she is not beyond redemption.- I know that... sometimes people can be led astray. But it's never too late to turn around."
    "All traces of evil must be eliminated" Aravashinal says firmly.
    "I can't agree with that" Esper tells Aravahinal. "She has not fallen beyond salvation"

11. - Top - End - #251

"All right." Hesper turns back to the prisoner. "What exactly are you thinking the result would be if the demons won? You're cannon fodder to them, and when they don't need you anymore, sacrifices. You can't possibly believe they'll keep any promises they've made."

12. - Top - End - #252
    Titan in the Playground

The cleric growls. "So what if we kick the ass of the senior cultist? Then will you believe that joining them is still your only chance to survive? THINK about the welfare of your people. Don't let them die by our blades. There's not that many of them left by your own admission! Let us help you!"

13. - Top - End - #253
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

"The cultists are only the beginning The hordes of Chaos are endless. With the power to break the Wardstones, the Worldwound cannot be held back. You lost. There is only one winner" the mongrelwoman says.

"She is lost. We will do what we can" Chief Sull says, joining you. "Defeating the cultist leader seems like a good first step. Remember that if you can convince the surfacemen of out good intentions, we will aid you."
    "Foolish old man. You would choose oblivion for our people?"
    "No." he says, tired. "I have chosen the only other path."

14. - Top - End - #254

"You're brave and wise, Chief Sull," Hesper says, and to the prisoner, "Even if you don't care to answer my question, at least think about it. You have no chance of surviving an alliance with demons."

Turning back to the rest of the group, she says, "I think we're done here."

15. - Top - End - #255
    Titan in the Playground

Luna groans. “Well, her people are dead as well, unless we happen to put them down without killing them tomorrow when we assault your home. We can’t guarantee that we can get to the cultist without breaking a few eggs, so to speak.”

She turns to chief Sull. “I inquired about your son. I seems like he was no captured or killed by Wenduag’s people. Well, as far as she is aware, anyway. I wish we had more time to search for him, but we need to rest and prepare for the next foray into the other mongrel den.”

16. - Top - End - #256
    Ettin in the Playground

”My comrades are right. Demons will turn on you when they no longer need you. Even devils will at least keep their word. Demons are a special kind of evil.”

“We should definately rest a night or two before we get going. I need to resupply my ammo. I have a kit with me to craft it, but we’ll be laid over a bit.”

17. - Top - End - #257
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

"I bear little hope for the survival of my son." chief Sull says. "Even if not by the hand of her minions."

He walks from the prisoner's presence with ponderous steps, his mismatched features lending him an odd gait.
    "The twisted ones might be beyond saving. My people are grateful for your assistance, but if what she says is true, time is of the essence. If the surface falls, we will follow before long. Do not delay for the sake of us."

The rest of that day, Diamond can spend crafting his firearm gear, while the rest recover. The mongrelfolk have their own healers that can care for their injuries should they ask.

Aravashinal and Anevia spend the time talking about their plans for the next day. As the most powerful among the group, though hindered by their injuries, which showed today. Next day, they'll be supporting you more fully.
    Horgus tries to avoid the mongrelfolk as best he can, finding them repulsive (and not entirely without reason, as they all have some level of deformity to them). He occupies himself by teaching Emilie fencing, his style suited for the manually challenged young woman.

18. - Top - End - #258
    Titan in the Playground

Code:
    Lunalesca
    HP: 17/17 | AC: 19 | Init: +2 | Fort/Ref/Wil = 5/2/7
    Diplomacy/Bluff +10 | Knowledge Religion/History +7 | Knowledge Planes +9 | Perception +10 | 
    Resources:  Channels 5/5, Fire Bolt 5/7
    Effects:  None 
    "If we see him, we'll do everything we can to rescue him. Otherwise, we'll speed our way to the surface and let the surface know that you all are willing to help."

The cleric spends her night making sure her injured allied have everything they need, and then going amongst the mongrel-folk and helping out any way she can. She'll even help cook something (+9 bonus on Profession Cook).

19. - Top - End - #259
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

The morning comes, though times of day have lost meaning in the perpetual underground. Regardless, you have gotten enough rest. It is time to press on. Anevia and Horgus are the most anxious, both desiring to move again, the former seeking to make up for her delay yesterday.
    Emilie takes on the duty of being Aravashinal's eyes, despite his protests. Horgus will mind them at the back, keeping them and the cache of potions secure.

Spoiler: Character introduction, OOC
    Show
    My initial idea based on the circumstances, was that the new character(s) would have been held captive by the treacherous mongrelfolk and cultists. (She would be exchanged for the mongrel leader who was captured the day before)
    Another option would be that Liltish survived the fall and ended up in Neathholm on her own or with a handful of other survivors via a different route.
    A third potential option would be that she was taken in by the cult, and would be a traitor from their group.
    I'll leave that up to the player.

20. - Top - End - #260
    Pixie in the Playground

Liltish wakes early in order to study her spell book in silent contemplation, moving a short distance away from the others to ensure that she does not disturb their sleep. This ritual is part meditation, part daily preparation, and also enables her to continue casting what little magic she knows. She doesn't stir until the others begin to wake. She moves back to where she had gone to sleep and patiently waits until everyone is up. Once everyone has rubbed the sleep from the eyes Liltish approaches Esper, both because she seems to have a similar bloodline and because she seems to carry herself like a leader. "Hello, I don't think we have all been properly introduced. Things got a little hectic since my release from my less than accommodating hosts," She extends her hand in greeting but her words are meant to include everyone. A raven sits motionless on the bulk of her curling horns. "My name is Liltish, recently arrived to Kenabres from Cheliax." She pauses to glance around, "not that we are in Kenabres anymore. Where are we exactly?"

21. - Top - End - #261
    Titan in the Playground

Code:
    Lunalesca
    HP: 17/17 | AC: 19 | Init: +2 | Fort/Ref/Wil = 5/2/7
    Diplomacy/Bluff +10 | Knowledge Religion/History +7 | Knowledge Planes +9 | Perception +10 | 
    Resources:  Channels 5/5, Fire Bolt 5/7
    Effects:  None 

The beautiful aasimar is already up, sitting quietly, in deep meditation, although that may have been mistaken for sleep. She opens her eyes after the tiefling has finished speaking. "Oh, hello there! I see you're a visitor as well. You're in the caverns likely under some part of Kenabres." She dusts herself off and stands up, offering a hand to shake, and a friendly smile. "How did you arrive here? We fell down a huge hole because of a demon attack, and eventually made our way to this friendly village. Oh where are my manners? I'm Lunalesca, the group's spiritual advisor. Or so I'd like to think haha."
    Last edited by Frosty; 2019-01-15 at 06:26 PM.

22. - Top - End - #262
    Ettin in the Playground

”I am the gunsmith of the group. Call me Diamond.”

23. - Top - End - #263

"I'm Hesper, the scout. We're under Kenabres, and according to our friends here, the way back to the surface is through the area where you were recently held prisoner."

24. - Top - End - #264
    Ogre in the Playground

Esper smiles softly at Liltish, stepping back to let Luna take the initiative of shaking hands and giving greetings. Her eyes flick down to the waterskin at the wizard's belt and then up to the tips of her horns before making eye contact. "I am Esper," she says, flashing a wooden symbol of the Dawnflower from within the folds of the lamellar plate she wears. "We are glad to meet you. It seems your journey has been a long one, and I fear in these circumstances it may be longer still..."

Esper trails off as her gaze drifts toward the others - Emilie, Anevia, Horgus, and Aravashinal, who have yet to introduce themselves. Her gaze lingers on Anevia's improvised crutch for a long moment, but before too long she brings her face up to Liltish again and continues. "This may be abrupt, but will you walk with us? As Hesper says, the only way out is forward, and there is strength in numbers."

25. - Top - End - #265
    Ettin in the Playground

“Works for me.”

26. - Top - End - #266
    Pixie in the Playground

Liltish accepts Lunalesca’s hand with a smile of her own. “My captor’s offered me some assistance in return for a few magical favors. After realizing that they had no intention of helping me I tried to break off the agreement, but they wouldn’t have it. They put a sack over my head, dragging me down here and locking me away until they needed me again.” She glances up at the mention of falling from above. Her eyes alight with interest at the mention of demons. “An attack? That’s unfortunate.” You get the strange feeling that she speaks more of a missed opportunity than in reference to sympathy felt for the victims.

Liltish nods her head as each of her saviors announce themselves, and it vaguely reminds her of roll call that was implemented in some of her classes back at the university.

She smiles at Esper, “I do not mind journeys. This one has been quite enlightening so far. Can’t say I care to be locked up again though.” Liltish follows Esper’s gaze to Anevia but isn’t sure of what the significance is. “Of course, I have nowhere else to go at the moment, and I fear that I am likely to get lost on my own anyway. If there are still demons above or about then all the more reason to have friends along.”

27. - Top - End - #267
    Titan in the Playground

"Good to have you along. Here's what I believe is in our way. There are the bad mongrel-folk in our way, plus a demonic cult and its local cell leader. We need to take them out in order to reach the surface. I'd like for us to be able to talk the bad mongrelfolk away from the path of evil, but if we fail, we will do what we must and end them. What spells can you provide? Perhaps you can work with Aravashnial somehow? He is an accomplished mage, but he recently lost his eyes due to an attack from the Storm King."

She points towards the elf with clean bandages over his eyes.

28. - Top - End - #268
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

"Lady Lunalesca is correct" Aravashinal says. "I am a mage, though as I am my powers are limited. Right now, I can provide some support and summon assistance."
    "I'm Anevia. An adventurer, a long time ago."
    "Horgus Gwerm." the man says bluntly.
    "I'm Emilie. A..."
    Aravashinal leans closer, "Yes. What are you? Do tell us"
    Emilie stays silent.
    "I caught her sneaking around where she didn't belong. A thief, most likely."
    "I wasn't going to steal anything. If you'd just let me read what I wanted..."
    "Those books are prohibited for a reason. It is for the safety of all around us."

This hadn't come up before, that's for sure.

Spoiler: Going forward
    Show
    The way to the mongrelfolk/cult lair takes around half an hour. Liltish knows much of the layout, though she was not privy to everything.

29. - Top - End - #269

"I don't know if this is the ideal time to discuss issues smaller than the invasion of Kenabres by a horde of demons," Hesper says. "But it might be important to know what skills all of us have. You can cast spells, can't you, Emilie?"

30. - Top - End - #270
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    "I don't know if this is the ideal time to discuss issues smaller than the invasion of Kenabres by a horde of demons," Hesper says. "But it might be important to know what skills all of us have. You can cast spells, can't you, Emilie?"
    "She can do magic" Aravashinal scoffs. "There's a marked difference. No sophistication. No arsenal of magic like a spellcaster. Just tricks."
    Emilie nods. "I can conjure items, for a time. Move them around. Nothing much"