New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Default Elvish Accuracy + Hexblade + Reckless Attack?

Hey ya値l, I知 working on a crit fish build trying to increase chances of landing a crit as much as possible- rather than maximize crit damage.

Part of my theoretical build relies on an interaction that I知 not too sure on. How does Elvish Accuracy interact with reckless attack? Reckless relies on a Str attack, but Hexblade warrior seems to sort of over ride that by specifically saying one can use Charisma instead of strength or dexterity. Am I correct in assuming one could use charisma for Attack and damage and still benefit from reckless attack? Or incorrect?
    Last edited by KOLE; 2018-07-15 at 04:19 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Elvish Accuracy + Hexblade + Reckless Attack?

Incorrect. Both Reckless Attack and Hex Warrior do what they say on the tin: Reckless gives advantage on attacks using strength, Hex Warrior lets you attack with a weapon using charisma. If you're attacking using charisma, you're not making an attack using strength. Long story short, I don't think there's any way to use Reckless Attack and Elven Accuracy together, since they rely on mutually exclusive circumstances (and this is almost definitely on purpose).

3. - Top - End - #3
    Banned

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by KOLE View Post
    Hey ya値l, I知 working on a crit fish build trying to increase chances of landing a crit as much as possible- rather than maximize crit damage.

Part of my theoretical build relies on an interaction that I知 not too sure on. How does Elvish Accuracy interact with reckless attack? Reckless relies on a Str attack, but Hexblade warrior seems to sort of over ride that by specifically saying one can use Charisma instead of strength or dexterity. Am I correct in assuming one could use charisma for Attack and damage and still benefit from reckless attack? Or incorrect?
    You cannot use Reckless Attack with Hex Warrior's Charisma using weapon, so you would need advantage elsewhere, such as with a none-strength inducing manner; Darkness+Devil's Sight, Pack Tactics with a Kobold, Eldritch Smite's autoprone, etc.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kadesh View Post
    You cannot use Reckless Attack with Hex Warrior's Charisma using weapon, so you would need advantage elsewhere, such as with a none-strength inducing manner; Darkness+Devil's Sight, Pack Tactics with a Kobold, Eldritch Smite's autoprone, etc.
    Go for Elven accuracy fighter/champion dex base build if you want to crit fish. You get 3 roll to get 18 to 20. And for the reliable advantage source...ask an ally to provide it.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Belier View Post
    Go for Elven accuracy fighter/champion dex base build if you want to crit fish. You get 3 roll to get 18 to 20. And for the reliable advantage source...ask an ally to provide it.
    Difference between that is you have to get 3 levels of champion fighter to get improved criticals... you only need 1 level of hexblade warlock for that ability (albeit on a more limited basis)

So Elvish barbarian with a single level of hexblade could Crit fish to their heart's delight with elvish accuracy... once per rest, that is. You go up to 3 levels of Hexblade warlock, you won't even need an ally to provide advantage, nor Reckless attack, as you have an invisible Imp or Sprite doing that job for you via Pact of the chain. You could also do it with a pact of the tome / book of ancient secrets pairing, picking up the Find Familiar spell.

Just because most people get hung up on the Hexblade Blade lock doesn't mean it's the best choice...
    Always looking for critique of my 5E homebrew!

Quote Originally Posted by Bjarkmundur View Post
    ... does this stuff just come naturally to you? Do you even have to try anymore xD
    Quote Originally Posted by Man_Over_Game View Post
    Vogie is the sh**. I don't really have anything to contribute to the topic, just wanted to point that out.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

As others have said you'd need a source of Advantage that can work with Elvish Accuracy stats:

Like Fighting Spirit from the Samurai archetype of Fighter. Happens to be my favorite multiclass combo, Samurai/Hexblade Half-Elf using a Great Sword with EA and Hexblade's Curse -- gives you something like a 27% chance to crit on any given attack and at level 20 something like a 87% chance to crit at least once on a Nova turn. (Percentages from memory, I apologize if they're off a bit, but it illustrates the idea).
    Last edited by ciarannihill; 2018-07-16 at 10:21 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Banned

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Belier View Post
    Having an ally do it is hardly reliable.

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by Kadesh View Post
    Having an ally do it is hardly reliable.
    Your best bet is probably to dragoon your shy little brother into playing D&D, roll up a character for him that has all stats under 11, and then tell him that his PC is so weak and useless that he should just Help you instead of trying to do anything on his own. Ideally you'll make him a Mastermind so he can Dodge while he's Helping you, which (combined with Uncanny Dodge) should keep him alive long enough to be useful.

More seriously, Helping is actually a pretty decent option whenever there are heterogenous levels of power within a party. Lore Bards, familiars, zombie minions, 0th level NPCs, Unseen Servants... they can all Help the GWM brawler or Sharpshooter archer land some blows, and sometimes that may add more damage than anything they could do on their own. (Other things they can do include spreading caltrops and flaming oil, throwing nets (without proficiency), Helping each other throw nets, carrying torches to illuminate enemies in the dark (and grant advantage on attacks against those enemies), spiking doors shut, and of course running away like mad and/or hiding so they don't get killed. :))

9. - Top - End - #9
    Banned

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by MaxWilson View Post
    Your best bet is probably to dragoon your shy little brother into playing D&D, roll up a character for him that has all stats under 11, and then tell him that his PC is so weak and useless that he should just Help you instead of trying to do anything on his own. Ideally you'll make him a Mastermind so he can Dodge while he's Helping you, which (combined with Uncanny Dodge) should keep him alive long enough to be useful.

More seriously, Helping is actually a pretty decent option whenever there are heterogenous levels of power within a party. Lore Bards, familiars, zombie minions, 0th level NPCs, Unseen Servants... they can all Help the GWM brawler or Sharpshooter archer land some blows, and sometimes that may add more damage than anything they could do on their own. (Other things they can do include spreading caltrops and flaming oil, throwing nets (without proficiency), Helping each other throw nets, carrying torches to illuminate enemies in the dark (and grant advantage on attacks against those enemies), spiking doors shut, and of course running away like mad and/or hiding so they don't get killed. :))
    I mean, I was going with the idea that you can't guarantee the player is actually going to be helping you, rather than that the abilities aren't available to help you - if you can guarantee you've got "old mate" by your side all the time, then sure, but it's less guaranteed than having your own means of generating Advantage. Truthfully, I'm a bit annoyed that Strength is further devalued over Dexterity (or Charisma SAD-ness); would it be all the more broken to have a Str version of Elven Accuracy?

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

Another option is straight-up Champion with Mounted Combatant - Medium or smaller opponents should make the bulk of your enemies.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

See if you can talk your DM into using the flanking rules from the DMG. I mean, they'd be silly to allow both flanking and elven accuracy in the same game, but hey, maybe you have a "player power centric" DM!

I kinda like the idea of expanding elven accuracy to other races... Kobold accuracy For The MF'n Win, baby!

Yeah, munchkin me is definitely a Player Power Centric DM - lol.
    Trollbait extraordinaire

12. - Top - End - #12
    Banned

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Specter View Post
    Another option is straight-up Champion with Mounted Combatant - Medium or smaller opponents should make the bulk of your enemies.
    The trick is to source a mount that you can protect (no armour profs, no HP boosting from Aid or Armour of Agathys or levelling), and use continually when in locations with ladders etc.