New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Titans: Another reason to hate DC

So the new trailer for Titans was released and it looks... terrible. Absolutely horrendous.

I previously complained about how the majority of media based on DC comics (Mostly the DCEU films, Arrowverse, Animated Films and Teen Titans GO!) have been subpar- if not utter garbage, and this continues the trend. Potentially making it even worse.

They show a lack of respect for these characters by going all grimdark and having them brutally murder people. Including Dyck Grayson. While the comics have gone in darker places it was never this edgy and Dyck never said anything as corny as "#*&%! Batman!".

This honestly just seems as a cheap attempt to follow the Marvel Netflix shows since Arrow couldn't beat Daredevil, except all they're doing is adding blood and swearing with none of the substance and picking the worst property to edgify. They learned nothing from Batman vs Superman vs Wonder Woman vs Cave Troll vs Facebook.

Young Justice Season 3 can't come soon enough.
    Last edited by Zmeoaice; 2018-07-19 at 08:22 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Titans: Another reason to hate DC

I saw a few Teen Titans episodes back in the day. They seem like a really interesting set of people. The trailer started out interesting, if a little dark. Then the first fight scene started and...it was not something I want to see. I gave up on all the Marvel netflix shows except Daredevil because they had too much sex and gore. Even Daredevil had a lot in the first season. I have exactly 0 desire to ever see an episode of this thing. Is it show or a movie?
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

From what I'd heard of this, I wasn't expecting it to be good.

This is worse than I imagined. It's fairly obvious DC has no idea why Marvel is doing so well.

Also, what the heck is up with Starfire's (is that even her?) hair?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

I see where the confusion is coming from. I'm sorry, but you must have linked the wrong video. This is the actual trailer:
    Quote Originally Posted by MERC_1 View Post
    I find it very amusing that a very theoretical discussion of how to Optimize Bardic Music, turns into a discussion on how much worms you can eat in 7 minutes.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Adderbane View Post
    From what I'd heard of this, I wasn't expecting it to be good.

This is worse than I imagined. It's fairly obvious DC has no idea why Marvel is doing so well.

Also, what the heck is up with Starfire's (is that even her?) hair?
    Sadly yes, and for some reason, she is dressed like a hooker. The stupid thing is, the actress seems to usually wear her hair straight so im even more confused as to why she looks like that. Also, why isn't she orange???

Raven is a whiny emo kid instead of the dry witty rather emotionless girl she should be.

Beast Boy looks like he's about to puke.

Dyck Grayson is now Jason Todd. Somehow.
    Quote Originally Posted by Guigarci View Post
    "Mr. Aochev, tear down this wall!" Ro'n Ad-Ri'Gan, Bard
    Tiefling Sorcerer by Linkele
    Spoiler: Homebrew stuff
    Show
    My Spell, My Weapon, Im a God

My Post Apocalyptic Alternate Timeline setting: Amerhikan Wasteland

My Historical Stuff channel

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

At first I was like "well, that's not that bad - a bit generic-looking at this point but kind of what I expected from a TV adaptation aimed at teenagers with the whole moody music and dark cinematography that's pretty overused now like with Cloak & Dagger" but around the 50 second mark... "ah, I see what Zmeoaice is getting at".

That's dreadful. The Titans could go dark - do horror even - but it almost feels like they're doing a deliberate parody of Snyder's DC aesthetic for some ungodly reason.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk748 View Post
    Sadly yes, and for some reason, she is dressed like a hooker. The stupid thing is, the actress seems to usually wear her hair straight so im even more confused as to why she looks like that. Also, why isn't she orange???

Raven is a whiny emo kid instead of the dry witty rather emotionless girl she should be.

Beast Boy looks like he's about to puke.

Well Kori's actually wearing the dress she wore in her first appearance in comics. It's a bit of attention to detail, but something that seems to not have translated as well to live action.

I'm more upset that Raven is 13 years old and not in her 19-20 like she was in the comics.

Garfield looks fine.

Grayson... yeah he's acting a bit strange. ( really, can't say a proper name? )
    Last edited by Devonix; 2018-07-19 at 10:10 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk748 View Post
    Apparently there's going to be a Jason Todd episode in the show too, which makes me wonder what HE'S going to be like. 😐
    You were born an original. Don't die a copy.
    -- John Mason.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ben-zayb View Post
    I see where the confusion is coming from. I'm sorry, but you must have linked the wrong video. This is the actual trailer:
    No, this is the actual trailer:

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

...they seriously just had Robin say "f*** Batman" as his first line in the trailer for a Teen Titans show?

There are no words to describe that, are there? At this point, you have to wonder if DC just actively doesn't want to have fans.
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Devonix View Post
    Well Kori's actually wearing the dress she wore in her first appearance in comics. It's a bit of attention to detail, but something that seems to not have translated as well to live action.

I'm more upset that Raven is 13 years old and not in her 19-20 like she was in the comics.

Garfield looks fine.

Grayson... yeah he's acting a bit strange. ( really, can't say a proper name? )
    I didnt mean her purple dress (its ok-ish) i meant the fur coat on top makes her look like a hooker.

...I thought she was a short 16 year old, im now more annoyed.

I think the green looks really stupid on him, but then again, Martian Man Hunter looked terrible in Supergirl, so who's surprised?
    Show

12. - Top - End - #12
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zevox View Post
    ...they seriously just had Robin say "f*** Batman" as his first line in the trailer for a Teen Titans show?

There are no words to describe that, are there? At this point, you have to wonder if DC just actively doesn't want to have fans.
    They don't want fans. Fans have poor hygiene and are smelly. They want viewers. Viewers are more likely to pay attention to commercials and are less likely to throw a fit on the internet that things are "wrong".
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Colossus in the Playground

Iirc, doesnt robin have some serious batman issues in the titans? Like, the entire reason he is wherever the heck he is and on the titans instead of in gotham is specifically because he and batman had a pretty serious dispute and robin couldnt take being around him anymore? I seem to recall that from the original cartoon at least. Anyways, wow this sucks so bad. Thats just awful. Is there some executive in his office freaking out over the failure of his other films going, "You know what? Im tired of this, clearly we arent going dark enough! I want blood, I want swearing, i want ultra violence and sexual themes! If that doesnt work my next project will involve 90 minutes of watching (insert random cheerful dc character) eviscerating puppies and baby ducklings! While having sex with an underage crack ho! Yeah that should get me the sweet cash flow!"
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Iirc, doesnt robin have some serious batman issues in the titans? Like, the entire reason he is wherever the heck he is and on the titans instead of in gotham is specifically because he and batman had a pretty serious dispute and robin couldnt take being around him anymore? I seem to recall that from the original cartoon at least. Anyways, wow this sucks so bad. Thats just awful. Is there some executive in his office freaking out over the failure of his other films going, "You know what? Im tired of this, clearly we arent going dark enough! I want blood, I want swearing, i want ultra violence and sexual themes! If that doesnt work my next project will involve 90 minutes of watching (insert random cheerful dc character) eviscerating puppies and baby ducklings! While having sex with an underage crack ho! Yeah that should get me the sweet cash flow!"
    And now, the grim back story of Polka Dot Man and Crazy Quilt! (They have an industrial accident in a clothing factory, where they fall into a giant cutting machine and are bloodily hacked to pieces, then reassembled by a mad scientist.(Yes, I know Crazy Quilt's backstory is already pretty dark.))
    Last edited by Eldan; 2018-07-20 at 06:11 AM.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

It feels like an effort to create a meme.

It reminds me of the Steve Rogers "Hail Hydra" panel honestly. Where it's supposed to illicit shock and as Geoff Johns puts it "make you go, ‘Why is he saying [**** Batman?]’" but mostly it just makes you wonder if the creators are actively trolling you in a crystallized moment of wrongheaded characterization someone was no doubt really confident would reel in the viewers.

Incidently, in that same Polygon article, John's does claim that while the trailer represent a piece of the tone of the show, it's not all that. Which begs the question of how these trailers get made.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zmeoaice View Post
    So the new trailer for Titans was released and it looks...

No, this is the actual video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ic6HdOdRQM
    So I’m seeing a video full of comically obvious overacting, absurd posing, ridiculous establishing shots, over spaced pausing between words and classic characters made to look like exaggeratedly serious caricatures of themselves.

The other video is a clip from Teen Titan’s Go.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    It would have been awesome if the writers had put as much thought into it as you guys do.
    The laws of physics are not crying in a corner, they are bawling in the forums.

Thanks to half-halfling for the avatar

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

I don't hate DC for this, or for anything, but wow it's hard to take this seriously. It was hard enough not to laugh at THE FLYING GRAYSONS with horror movie flashes, then it went full Edgelord Supreme.
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

OHHHHHH!

OHHHHHH!

I get it!

This is the Teen Titans Go! live-action parody in the vein of Deadpool, right? As written by the Teen Titans themselves, right?

I mean it mst be, there is NO WAY I could possible take this seriously.

"[Expletive] Batman."

Pahahahahahahaha!

Oh my Lichemaster, this was HILARIOUS.

Seriously, if there was ever one single line to completely and utterly destroy any semblence of possibility that anyone could a) take this seriously or b) like it it was that. That is so completely 90s'wangstdark trying-too-hard-to-be-edgy it is funnier than the actual TT parody (which I find already side-splitting).

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

No, this is the actual trailer:
    Case in point.

Except that I suspect even the folk who hate TTG (I am not among them) would find the latter less silly.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    That is so completely 90s'wangstdark trying-too-hard-to-be-edgy it is funnier than the actual TT parody (which I find already side-splitting).
    Whoa, WAIT! This talk of parody, I think you're on to something here.

Call me crazy, but what if all these brooding superheroics lately from DC are deliberately made as parts of an elaborate setup to introduce a proper Lobo series/film?

It's all for Lobo, folks.
    Quote Originally Posted by MERC_1 View Post
    I find it very amusing that a very theoretical discussion of how to Optimize Bardic Music, turns into a discussion on how much worms you can eat in 7 minutes.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Whoa, WAIT! This talk of parody, I think you're on to something here.

Call me crazy, but what if all these brooding superheroics lately from DC are deliberately made as parts of an elaborate setup to introduce a proper Lobo series/film?

It's all for Lobo, folks.

Are we sure Lobo isn't WRITING these scripts...?

21. - Top - End - #21

I suggest it's written by Lego Batman.

DAAAARKNEEES! NOOOOO PAREEEEENTS!
    Resident Vancian Apologist

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

So it's based on the New 52 era?

Sorry error.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hopeless View Post
    So it's based on the New 52 era?

Sorry error.
    Actually it seems based on the Pre Crisis era team but with some changes.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Devonix View Post
    Actually it seems based on the Pre Crisis era team but with some changesskrulls from Marvel badly masquerading as these beloved characters.
    Fixed that for you.
    Show

25. - Top - End - #25
    Barbarian in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

So, she's the black dude of the cast instead of orange (and one would have thought that orange was the new black). That's something easy to overlook. Her fashion is disturbing, considering she is most famous because of kids cartoons. That can be fixed as episodes go on, still.

But why does she get the powers of Pyro? Why is Raven based on Eleven rather than Black Widow? Why is Richard Grayson suddenly not-so-funny Sledge Hammer*?????

The best comment I came across on the web was one pointing out that DC is releasing two diametrically opposite/incompatible productions the very same year, about the very same team/people. That's like the MCU making their own porn parodies. Then again, this is a series where they decided the actual teenager with a dark-gritty story should not be included. I'm sure DC prepares all their pizzas without any dough.

*(to the Titans) "Trust me, I know what I'm doing" (proceeds to break necks and throw people out of buildings, to his teammate's horror)
    Last edited by Lord Joeltion; 2018-07-20 at 10:35 AM.
    (sic)

My English non très bueno, da? CALL: 0800-BADGRINGO

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Joeltion View Post
    So, she's the black dude of the cast instead of orange (and one would have thought that orange was the new black). That's something easy to overlook. Her fashion is disturbing, considering she is most famous because of kids cartoons. That can be fixed as episodes go on, still.
    I assume having a Starfire with a deep orange complexion all the time probably looks poor on camera, and they decided they'd just use the glowy effects to fulfill that aspect of her character design as a sort of compromise.

Well, that or they've significantly revised her character. That wouldn't be shocking really, it seems to happen whenever there's an attempt at a gritty adaptation.

It is weird and yet I suppose expected that I've seen numerous criticisms of "black-washing" her, which confuses me on several levels.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Joeltion View Post
    But why does she get the powers of Pyro?
    According to various internet randos shooting flames was her original power-set or something. Besides that, how else would she burn people alive? Tossing gas on them and throwing a match like some peasant?
    Last edited by Kitten Champion; 2018-07-20 at 11:15 AM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Ehhhh......... Yeah.

Are we sure, given the title song, that this trailer isnt some in Show Arkham Episode where the Titans are shown what they could be if GrimDerpness ruled?

Because otherwise, I am going to avoid this completely.

And I even LIKED TTG somewhat (Raven and Starfire are some of the DC Characters I liked the most back in my "real" Comic time......:( ).
    A neutron walks into a bar and says, “How much for a beer?” The bartender says, “For you? No charge.”

01010100011011110010000001100010011001010010000001 10111101110010001000000110111001101111011101000010 00000111010001101111001000000110001001100101001011 100010111000101110

Later: An atom walks into a bar an asks the bartender “Have you seen an electron? I left it in here last night.” The bartender says, “Are you sure?” The atom says, “I’m positive.”

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I don't think anyone on this forum likes Grayson more than me...That said, I'm not bothered at all by Grayson. If this particular run of Titans is supposed to take place right after Rich breaks up with Bruce...Maybe he's still a little angry? I don't care what the trailer says. All's that can possibly matter is the story by episode 4 or 5. Hell, maybe even Raven says being a huge edgelord isn't such a great idea, and he drops it early on. Trailers don't meant anything. However, a Trailer is supposed to be the thing that gets you excited to actually see the thing that they're presenting. So...Maybe edgy Rich is on purpose? ...I hope not.

I understand "**** Batman." Grayson's said almost the same thing within the comics a few times. But, if you're going to run MA, then yeah...More stronger language than the comics allow is going to happen. I guess, for me, Grayson has to grow out of that real fast. He's not Damian Wayne, and he certainly isn't Jason Todd. There's certainly a rough patch, especially during the transition from Robin to Nightwing...But, at the end of the day, Grayson loves his Dad...He's the only one of the four sons who really does. So...Yeah.

**** Batman is totally fine. Once. So long as it doesn't become a running thread throughout the show. But the fact that trailers can be replayed over and over and over again. It's already an infamously bad line. They shouldn't have put it in the trailer.

Raven's fine. I think she might be the only character I can't really find a fault with. Looks like they're going with New 52 Raven. Cool beans. It's not the one people know from the cartoon. People are going to have a problem with it, because it's not the one from the cartoon, and who even reads comics anymore? Anyway, seems like they're diving right into the Trigon arc off the bat. Which gives me less hope that Grayson is going to get any character development at all, because Trigon is Raven's story. My other guess is that Raven was intentionally aged down so that they can introduce Damian Wayne later on and they can be best friends.

Gar...Doesn't look like anything. He has no transformations (in the trailer), and his prosthetics are about as convincing as Beast's in the X-Men prequels... That is to say...Not at all. I'll be genuinely surprised if he makes any transformations at all - the budget just doesn't look high enough for that. My guess is that he's generically super-strong, and occasionally gets really angry/scared, which makes him stronger. Either that, or he'll only transform in the first two, and last two episodes of the Season...All of the 'middle' episodes he wont do anything at all.

These aren't your Titans. They're edgy teenagers with attitude! ...I mean, like the new Power Rangers. Where, like, in order to get five teenagers to fight aliens...They actually have to be extremely self-destructive and just a little bit nihilistic with nothing to lose. 'Wholesome teens with attitude' just isn't going to cut it. I mean, I understand that people were like #NotMyPowerRangers...But it made total sense to me. Wait...Where was I? Right.

The CGI budget...Starfire looks awful. Apparently Grayson should be into that.

My other guess is that both Kid Flash and Cyborg are tied up in licensing. So...Maybe Wonder Girl? ...But I doubt it. Actually no. It's the Trigon arc. So I'm hoping for Zatanna. Then Grayson will get with her, before he realises he actually loves the CGI...Thing...

I so wanted Grayson to show up in the Arrowverse and kick the **** out of Ollie Queen with nightsticks. Instead I get this.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2018-07-20 at 11:50 AM.
    Spoiler: My Mum Says I'm Cool
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Cheesegear; Lovable Thesaurus ItP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Cheesegear, have I told you yet that you're awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    ALL HAIL LORD CHEESEGEAR! Cheese for the cheesegear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Cheesegear is awesome

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

The other Titans (aside from Robin, Raven, Starfire and Beast Boy) in this series are Hawk and Dove. You may have seen them quite briefly in that trailer. Dove was the one using her razor-sharp wings to hamstring a guy and then torturing someone.

You know, like any dove.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Friv View Post
    The other Titans (aside from Robin, Raven, Starfire and Beast Boy) in this series are Hawk and Dove.
    Ah, Dove. That makes more sense.
    I thought it was New 52 Raven.
    Good.
    Spoiler: My Mum Says I'm Cool
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Cheesegear; Lovable Thesaurus ItP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Cheesegear, have I told you yet that you're awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    ALL HAIL LORD CHEESEGEAR! Cheese for the cheesegear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Cheesegear is awesome