New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Would You Be My New Best Friends? (Doctor Who redux)

Quote Originally Posted by Telonius View Post
    One thing that struck me while watching the new episode - it really seemed like the Doctor was asking much more about other people's opinions, thoughts, and feelings than usual. There are probably lots of counter-examples to this, but it doesn't seem to me like that was ever a defining trait of any of the Doctors going back to 9 at least. It seems like this Doctor listens.
    Yeah, that's why I mentionned Davison upthread. Maybe it is because I am currently going through his era but I find them similar especially when it comes to being way nicer to people than the Doctor usually is.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Yeah, that's why I mentionned Davison upthread. Maybe it is because I am currently going through his era but I find them similar especially when it comes to being way nicer to people than the Doctor usually is.
    Yeah, Davison is regarded as the "team player" of the Doctors, as well as more prone to considering his companions as "friends" rather than "assistants", "students", or "pawns", the way other old-school Doctors did*. And it does seem like Whittaker is following that precedent. I mean look at the thread title for evidence. So if you're looking for a real old-school reference to compare her to, Davison really seems to be the primary one. Besides which, he was also the youngster of the old guard and Whittaker comes off as much the same.

* New Who Doctors tend to avoid having multiple companions at a time, but develop close ties to the ones they have.
    Spoiler: My inventory:
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Jammy Dodger (I was promised tea)
    1 Godwin Point.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairos Theodosian
    It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Ogre in the Playground

Okay, solid first episode, and I like the actress, she feels like the Doctor, so that's good.

The real challenge is ahead of course, it's easier to play the Doctor when there are no set characteristics other than confusion.
    If the writing in the future episodes will be as good as her acting, I'll be very happy.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Bugbear in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Finally watched the new episode, and you know what? I quite liked it! The companions all seem like interesting characters while still having a lot to explore, and I think Whittaker nailed the Doctor. [Spoiler]'s death was predictable, but I don't think it detracted from the episode. The only weak part was the villain, in my opinion; he was physically menacing, but never felt very threatening.

5. - Top - End - #95

Quote Originally Posted by The Troubadour View Post
    The only weak part was the villain, in my opinion; he was physically menacing, but never felt very threatening.
    Lets just hope it was a baddy written bit, but a poor writer trying to cram all the characters into the episode.....and not the start of a silly ''we can't show alien monsters threaten the Lady Doctor'' thing.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Ultron View Post
    Lets just hope it was a baddy written bit, but a poor writer trying to cram all the characters into the episode.....and not the start of a silly ''we can't show alien monsters threaten the Lady Doctor'' thing.
    Seriously?
    "Three blokes walk into a pub. One of them is a little bit stupid, and the whole scene unfolds with a tedious inevitability." - Bill Bailey
    Androgeus' 3 step guide to Doctor Who speculation:
    Spoiler
    Show
    1. Pick a random character
    2. State that person is The Rani
    3. goto 1

7. - Top - End - #97
    Pixie in the Playground

Chimera

It was somehow average per say. Not too good or bad

8. - Top - End - #98
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Calemyr View Post
    You know what? That seems like a really good thing. This means the Thirteenth Doctor is the Doctor. If her lines work regardless of the gender of the speaker, it means she's the Doctor in a female form rather than the Female Doctor. I was really worried we'd get the latter, as the worst kind of stunt casting, but if they keep this up I think I'll enjoy it.
    This was actually my biggest concern - I couldn't really see how I would buy a female Doctor as being the same character.

Boy, was I wrong. She managed to fully avoid the "this is not MY Doctor" feeling that hit me hard with Capaldi, and she feels like a blend of Smith and Tennant.

The main thing I'm praying for now is good plots for her to work with. The introductory plot was the weakest part of the episode really - a generic "alien hunter" who didn't have much personality of his own. However, I can see the reason for that - they had to introduce 3 Companions as well as a new Doctor, so the plot took a bit of a back seat.

Oh, and that brings me to what my third biggest concern was - Bradley Walsh. Being only familiar with him from The Chase, I wasn't sure how good he would be at acting rather than being a quiz show host. So far, that concern also seems to be unfounded. Apparently, he's a long-time Coronation Street actor? Not that that's a huge recommendation, mind you.

9. - Top - End - #99

Quote Originally Posted by Androgeus View Post
    Seriously?
    Well, we won't know until we see some more episodes. But the list of things they can't(or won't) do could be very long.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    The main thing I'm praying for now is good plots for her to work with.
    I see the next stumbling block could be the plots, and the big question: Will they just write standard Dr Who plots or will they feel the need to do special Lady Doctor plots?

Like it is a given that the Lady Doctor will have an episode where she goes to school and pretends to work there....and there will be a young cute girl that likes math and science, but everyone teases because of that...and then have the Lady Doctor show them how wrong they are......and, sadly, like have a part like ''oh no the world will blow up in like ten seconds...wait little girl that likes math: what is the answer to this math question" Girl: "47!" World saved...and see the little girl saved the world...with math(bonus points if it is that math that teacher always said you had to learn as you'd need to use it some day).
    Last edited by Darth Ultron; 2018-10-11 at 11:38 AM.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Well, we won't know until we see some more episodes. But the list of things they can't(or won't) do could be very long.

I see the next stumbling block could be the plots, and the big question: Will they just write standard Dr Who plots or will they feel the need to do special Lady Doctor plots?
    I mean none of the writers knew the Doctor was female when they did their first script. (Except Chibnall)

Like it is a given that the Lady Doctor will have an episode where she goes to school and pretends to work there....and there will be a young cute girl that likes math and science, but everyone teases because of that...and then have the Lady Doctor show them how wrong they are......and, sadly, like have a part like ''oh no the world will blow up in like ten seconds...wait little girl that likes math: what is the answer to this math question" Girl: "47!" World saved...and see the little girl saved the world...with math(bonus points if it is that math that teacher always said you had to learn as you'd need to use it some day).
    Adric already exists.
    Last edited by Androgeus; 2018-10-11 at 11:43 AM.
    "Three blokes walk into a pub. One of them is a little bit stupid, and the whole scene unfolds with a tedious inevitability." - Bill Bailey
    Androgeus' 3 step guide to Doctor Who speculation:
    Spoiler
    Show
    1. Pick a random character
    2. State that person is The Rani
    3. goto 1

11. - Top - End - #101

I mean none of the writers knew the Doctor was female when they did their first script. (Except Chibnall)
    Scripts can change.

Adric already exists.
    But this would be a girl Adric :) And Old Who does not count. (Though...Adric did save the day with his gold star for mathematical excellence )

12. - Top - End - #102
    Titan in the Playground

You seem to be judging this series primarily on a list of bad things it could potentially do that you've pulled from thin air.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Titan in the Playground

Like what?

That just sound like a standard Dr. Who episode, what would be the issue, exactly?
    But this would be a girl Adric :)
    And?
    And Old Who does not count.
    Your avatar is a stick-figure of Four!
    (Though...Adric did save the day with his gold star for mathematical excellence )
    That was the Doctor. Adric saved the day by hacking a navigation computer through time somehow.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    You seem to be judging this series primarily on a list of bad things it could potentially do that you've pulled from thin air.
    Basically this.
    Forum Wisdom

14. - Top - End - #104
    Titan in the Playground

That just sound like a standard Dr. Who episode, what would be the issue, exactly?
    The only reason anyone would possibly portray a competent woman is as part of some sort of nefarious plot to destroy western culture.

15. - Top - End - #105

If by 'air' you mean my imagination based on my knowledge of people, TV shows, society and life.

Like what?
    Well, for example Dr. Who is allowed to be ''funny" scary to kids....but they can't do ''Hard Core Horror".

But more to the point you can do just about anything to a guy, but there are like 1,000 that people will be like "er, well, no" if you do it to a Lady Doctor.

Like I said, it will be ok if they stick to stuff like that.

And?
    Well, it would be a girl.

Your avatar is a stick-figure of Four!
    It is?

That was the Doctor. Adric saved the day by hacking a navigation computer through time somehow.
    Well, it has been years sense I've seen that one...it's not in my collection :( I have all the silly evil snake ones though. And the ''lets watch Dr. Who play cricket" one.

Basically this.
    It's hope for the best, but expect the worst.

Can they just write and make good Dr. Who episodes....or will they sit down and be all like "Ok, lets use out Lady Who to Change the World!"

16. - Top - End - #106
    Titan in the Playground

But more to the point you can do just about anything to a guy, but there are like 1,000 that people will be like "er, well, no" if you do it to a Lady Doctor.
    I think you may be a bit confused here, though I see where you're coming from. I think very few people object to any and all fictional violence against a woman, but instead to the many ways that fictional violence against a woman is used in media as a dramatic tool with no consideration of it's social context: for example "fridging" (killing a woman to give a man dramatic motivation), or the parade of gratuitous horrors inflicted on Reboot Lara Croft in order to make the (presumed male) player feel like a protector, or indeed any of the many ways in which a woman is treated poorly in order to allow a male character to swoop in and rescue her. All of these treat a female character not as a person, but as a toy that you can break to make a man sad.

With a female main character, it's much harder to do this simply because of the agency she's able to display in other ways. Merely getting the heroes knockabout is something nobody will really object to - in fact, I know several feminists who'd object far more if a female doctor was treated as a porcelain doll never allowed to get dirty or tired or anything that stops her being pretty. I can't imagine anyone objecting to her electrocuting herself across the room, for example, or if something similar were to happen to Tennant losing his hand.

What specific situation/stress/injury has been inflicted on a male doctor that you believe people would object to on a female doctor? I'm curious - like I said, I think I see where you're coming from.
    Last edited by LeSwordfish; 2018-10-11 at 03:27 PM.

17. - Top - End - #107

What specific situation/stress/injury has been inflicted on a male doctor that you believe people would object to on a female doctor? I'm curious - like I said, I think I see where you're coming from.
    Harm and injury in general, even more so pain. She can fall down and do 'sci fi' violence...but anything more real and people might not like it.

A good example might be when the 11th Doctor was poisoned (by a Janius Thorn?) and spent the whole episode dying, flopping around and screaming in pain.

Psychological counts too....lock a guy up for 800 years and have him by tortured by memories/nightmares, no problem....

Or real torture in general...like when Davros tried to steal 'regeneration' from the 12th Doctor

Even the Defabricator is a good example(though not directly to a Doctor) : Zap off Captain Jacks clothing(and of course show nothing)...no big deal, it's even funny...he looks at the camera and says ''ladies your viewing figures just went up"...and it's all perfectly OK. But with a Lady Doc....

But even things like...''oops the Doctor got unwillingly married"...it's funny, for a guy doc.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Spamalot in the Playground

As a matter of fact yes, some episodes will involve her gender - possibly even as a plot point, because she's a time traveler and women (all minorities really) had far fewer rights in the past than they enjoy today, even within the lifetimes of people currently alive. And even if she goes to the future or to another planet, some of those themes can easily come up, because they are believable. We've seen it happen often enough to the various lady companions after all.

Now if you view that as a "stumbling block," I would have my doubts about whether science fiction as a whole is really for you, but regardless you'd be best off girding your loins.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

19. - Top - End - #109

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post

Now if you view that as a "stumbling block," I would have my doubts about whether science fiction as a whole is really for you, but regardless you'd be best off girding your loins.
    Well, if they travel to the past and it's a plot that uses the real life ''way it was", that would be fine.

The stumble will be if they go back to whenever and everyone is just like ''ok" and it's ignored.

It's literately a Dr. Who trope of 'women in the past', most famously Sarah Jane Smith (who did it in the future when it was just like the past too).

20. - Top - End - #110
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Given what happened to Bill, I think any concerns about the Dr. Who writers not wanting to get rough on women may be a teensy bit unfounded.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Titan in the Playground

Harm and injury in general, even more so pain. She can fall down and do 'sci fi' violence...but anything more real and people might not like it.
    "People might not like it" - I feel like your objections are based on some kind of hypothetical SJW rather than any real argument anyone's made.

A good example might be when the 11th Doctor was poisoned (by a Janius Thorn?) and spent the whole episode dying, flopping around and screaming in pain.

Psychological counts too....lock a guy up for 800 years and have him by tortured by memories/nightmares, no problem....

Or real torture in general...like when Davros tried to steal 'regeneration' from the 12th Doctor
    These are fairly extreme examples, and yeah I could see why people would object to some versions of them. But in all these cases the context is important - is it relevant and important to the plot of the episode? How does the character respond? How is the scene constructed and shot- how is the viewer placed?

Even the Defabricator is a good example(though not directly to a Doctor) : Zap off Captain Jacks clothing(and of course show nothing)...no big deal, it's even funny...he looks at the camera and says ''ladies your viewing figures just went up"...and it's all perfectly OK. But with a Lady Doc....

But even things like...''oops the Doctor got unwillingly married"...it's funny, for a guy doc.
    An interesting point! But I can't see a way to specifically discuss it without skipping straight away from Doctor Who and into open political talk. What I will say, though, is that if you're concerned about them being unwilling to make sexual jokes with a female doctor, did you see any episode with Missy in? Any at all? Literally any line she said?

.Given what happened to Bill, I think any concerns about the Dr. Who writers not wanting to get rough on women may be a teensy bit unfounded
    Remember when they had a woman who described herself as "born to save the doctor" - something she achieved mostly by dying over and over again?
    Last edited by LeSwordfish; 2018-10-12 at 02:46 AM.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

Thought she was great and the companions were fine!
    Only problem I had was some of the plot.

Spoiler
    Show
    For example the Gathering Coil floating down the train carriage, the Doctor lands atop of it, it's ability to levitate functioning as an air bag explaining how she survived the fall.
    When Ryan touched that symbol HE is selected as the target, but the Coil detects his grandmother so boards the train looking for her.
    Due to a mix of being used as a cushion and then being electrocuted it tags Carl by mistake something Tim Sharr only realises as he is confronted by the Doctor.
    Carl trips him up causing him to fall after handed back his teleport device.

Other than that I thought it was alright.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hopeless View Post

Spoiler
    Show
    For example the Gathering Coil floating down the train carriage, the Doctor lands atop of it, it's ability to levitate functioning as an air bag explaining how she survived the fall.
    When Ryan touched that symbol HE is selected as the target, but the Coil detects his grandmother so boards the train looking for her.
    Due to a mix of being used as a cushion and then being electrocuted it tags Carl by mistake something Tim Sharr only realises as he is confronted by the Doctor.

Spoiler
    Show
    Ryan wasn't the Coil's target at any point - Carl always was. What Ryan did was accidentally give permission for the Coil to materialise, I think? "DO YOU ALLOW THIS CREATURE TO MANIFEST Y/N" and Ryan clicked the alien version of "Y".

24. - Top - End - #114
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Hopeless View Post

Spoiler
    Show

I don't think that's accurate.

Spoiler
    Show
    The Doctor survives the fall because she's still regenerating. We've seen Ten regrow an arm instantly while still being in regeneration mode (and didn't they grow a whole second Doctor from that arm later?), so her rapidly healing the various broken bones from the fall is not unreasonable.

Ryan is never selected as the target - the target was selected beforehand by the other aliens. There was never a mistake in tagging, the Coil implanted bombs in everybody else and gathered info on Carl so that Tim Sharr could download it later.

Not sure what you're upset about with Carl tripping him up.

25. - Top - End - #115

Well, if they travel to the past and it's a plot that uses the real life ''way it was", that would be fine.

The stumble will be if they go back to whenever and everyone is just like ''ok" and it's ignored.
    So you don't want it "ignored" but you don't want any to be about her gender either.

Right.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

26. - Top - End - #116

Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    Given what happened to Bill, I think any concerns about the Dr. Who writers not wanting to get rough on women may be a teensy bit unfounded.
    The part where she gets turned into an immortal water demi god and gets to live out eternity with her girl friend?

"People might not like it" - I feel like your objections are based on some kind of hypothetical SJW rather than any real argument anyone's made.
    It's a touchy subject.

These are fairly extreme examples, and yeah I could see why people would object to some versions of them. But in all these cases the context is important - is it relevant and important to the plot of the episode? How does the character respond? How is the scene constructed and shot- how is the viewer placed?
    Of course they are extreme...that is kind of the point. Sure she will see an alien and do the ''Dumb Doctor Run" just like every other New Who Doctor.

And my point is people won't care about context, they will be stuck on ''woman bad, we can't do that".

And the list is huge....though the UK list is a bit different then the American one.

An interesting point! But I can't see a way to specifically discuss it without skipping straight away from Doctor Who and into open political talk. What I will say, though, is that if you're concerned about them being unwilling to make sexual jokes with a female doctor, did you see any episode with Missy in? Any at all? Literally any line she said?
    Dr. Who is a ''kids show", and has the Black and White of ''Bad girls do/Good girls don't". As Missy is evil, it is OK for anything to happen to her and for her to say anything.

Literally everything Missy does is WRONG, and they make that very clear to the viewers. Like she walks over and says ''Hello, I'm Doctor Who" and you just know millions are screaming out ''no, that is not his name" (maybe...)

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    So you don't want it "ignored" but you don't want any to be about her gender either.

Right.
    Well, I'd like it done ''right".

27. - Top - End - #117
    Titan in the Playground

The part where she gets turned into an immortal water demi god and gets to live out eternity with her girl friend?
    Spoiler: No, that part
    Show

It's a touchy subject.
    Not as much as you seem to believe.

Of course they are extreme...that is kind of the point. Sure she will see an alien and do the ''Dumb Doctor Run" just like every other New Who Doctor.

And my point is people won't care about context, they will be stuck on ''woman bad, we can't do that".

And the list is huge....though the UK list is a bit different then the American one.
    You are fighting windmills, here, don Quixote.
    Dr. Who is a ''kids show"
    It's a family show.

and has the Black and White of ''Bad girls do/Good girls don't". As Missy is evil, it is OK for anything to happen to her and for her to say anything.
    Hmm, River Song?

Literally everything Missy does is WRONG, and they make that very clear to the viewers. Like she walks over and says ''Hello, I'm Doctor Who" and you just know millions are screaming out ''no, that is not his name" (maybe...)
    Spoiler: Sure, it isn't
    Show

I am kind of amazed you took a continuity lampshade as a sign of moral bankruptcy, actually.

Well, I'd like it done ''right".
    I have this nagging feeling it is never going to be "right" in your eyes.
    Forum Wisdom

28. - Top - End - #118

I have this nagging feeling it is never going to be "right" in your eyes.
    Not unless they ignore it completely while also bringing it up in some way. Or something.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

29. - Top - End - #119
    Titan in the Playground

It's a touchy subject.
    There seems no point trying to honestly persuade you when you're arguing with an invented boogeyman who may do too much or too little of something in the future.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Spoiler: No, that part
    Show

I was actually referring to her
    Spoiler
    Show
    getting stranded for years in a hospital waiting for a Doctor who never comes, then getting chopped into pieces to make her into a Cyberman, then having an entire episode focused on the mental anguish this causes her, then having to sacrifice herself to save everyone.

But that works too.

Writing that all out makes me realize just how badly Bill got put through the wringer compared to every other Companion of NuWho. I think the only competitor is Rory for continually getting time-screwed.
    Last edited by Rodin; 2018-10-12 at 06:06 PM.