New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 27 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2171819202122232425262728293031323334353637 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #781
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Seaside 4: Where Every Week Is Shark Week

Marlick Bay Bountiful Tide General Store

"I believe that this will be all, thank you." He inclines his head slightly, and turns to leave.

He'll refresh the ward against the weather, just to be on the safe side, and leave, headed towards the Smooth Sailing Inn.
    Terrowin Avatar by HappyTurtle. Much thanks!

2. - Top - End - #782
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Earl of Purple View Post
    Necromancer's Plague Dig

"He's been polluting my river. And he tricked me into getting stuck in this cage." Despite its size, Krayger can probably lift the cage quite easily; it's got some runes carved into it to make it lighter. Once she's free, she stands up and stretches."You should sacrifice him to me, or cart him down to the Bay and sacrifice him there. But you should go stop the corpse with the growling yellow arm thing. It's dumping earth soiled by plague and death into the river, it's not healthy for the water." She points at the zombie with the digger. They're still working there, despite the fact their master has been knocked unconscious.
    [Necromancer's Plague Dig]

Krayger groans. "Yeah, I'll go see if my 'employer' wants him. Was real hoping his stupid skeletons would stop when I knocked him out." Krayger stands up and hefts his pistol. With any luck the skeleton will be too busy working to stop him from putting a bullet through its skull from the window.
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

3. - Top - End - #783
    Orc in the Playground

Necromancer Plague Dig

"Undead last until they don't. If he was controlling them direct, then maybe they'd stop, but he wasn't. He ordered them, and they won't stop until he orders otherwise or somebody stops them." The zombie does stop after Krayger blasts its head apart with his pistol, though. The digger keeps puffing away, the engine growling. Krayger could maybe hop in, figure out how it works and start filling the hole in again. Or he could stop the skeletons working through the bones that are revealed.

4. - Top - End - #784
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default [Marlick Bay]

"Who's doing the gold-plating then? It is pretty, I mean, maybe less so with a hole in it?" Ruined some perfectly nice gold plating, is what Janda's done.

Anchor glances at the merchants when the jeweler gestures.
    "I'm sure they'll be fine. The worst that happens is no one makes a sale, right?"
    Unless someone tries something foolish. But who'd want to cause trouble at a time like this?

She turns a little bit to listen to Zophiel's whispers.
    Something in the ocean, opposed by the local god? That could be nearly anything!
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

5. - Top - End - #785
    Barbarian in the Playground

[Marklick Bay]

"The towel? Oh, just on the drying rack there by the fire. That way it'll be dry and toasty for the next soggy soul to come out," the older bar-maid replies pleasantly. When asked about the church, there's a moment's hesitation. "Not much to tell? It's just a shrine to all the gods. Nothing too unusual? I guess it's a bit on the fancy size, considering the size of our town. But Neptune blesses us, so a nice shrine seems like it's the least we could do."

Nothing unusual going on there.

Nope.

Not even a little bit.

Janda, meanwhile, replies with a shrug.

"Maybe it was plated before the ship that it was on sank? Or maybe something in the ocean is creating these objects. If local stories are accurate, the volume of treasure that washes up here regularly is just short of remarkable. I doubt ocean currents could account for all of it. Nor all the wrecks off the coast here. I checked historical accounts and inventories of goods. Only four merchant vessels have sunk on the reef here and none of them were carrying anything like this."

She hefts the shell slightly for emphasis.

That just begs the question, doesn't it?

Where did it come from?

As for Benedict?

His journey across the street should transpire without incident. Unless he decides to snoop elsewhere.
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    The Eternal Game Nightmære Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

6. - Top - End - #786
    Troll in the Playground

Marlick Bay

"Strange. Maybe there's something else out there? Maybe a ship carrying treasure was wrecked out there before the town was founded." Sekhmet finds this fascinating. What could cause such a thing?
    Awesome avatar (Kothar, paladin of Tlacua) by Linkele!

Quote Originally Posted by William Shakespeare, King Lear, IV.i.46
    'Tis the time's plague, when madmen lead the blind.
    My Nexus characters

7. - Top - End - #787
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcaller View Post
    Operation Sea Slug

She will find Lannefear standing not far away with a dangerous glint in her glowing eye-orbs. "Dangerous and irrational? Yes. For instance, if you don't stop shouting right now you'll see just how irrational we can be, so kindly shut up." She rubs her skull and makes a pushing motion with her other hand. "Just sit down and let me take a look at you. Looks like the essence did quite a number on you. How do you feel?" The lich points at Titania. "And use your indoor voice."

Meanwhile, she can still feel Azaries presence and she can feel that some of the blue demonic essence is still within her somewhere. Negative. Dreams Are Only Present In More Complex Organic Lifeforms. Do Not Tell This Arcane Powered Lifeform That This Unit Exists Within You. Azaries is talking about Lannefear. The stream of information they provide her with makes it impossible to misunderstand anything they're saying. Indeed, she will also learn that Lannefear has been using Azaries to summon and control demons, like Titania, for millennia. To Azaries she is very much a slaver.
    Operation Sea Slug

Titania grimaces, clamping down on the physical sensation and reigning it in to a more manageable level. "My apologies. I meant whether or not they felt like they were in so much pain and sensory overload all the time." She clarifies, sitting up fully. I will not make her aware. "I did not expect so drastic of a change." The Ex-Robot admits, wincing as she reaches up to touch her own head and get a feel for her new shape. "I even dreamed, which I've never done before." She blinks her eyes after a moment of conscious thought, new to the process of keeping eyes moist and clean. "This will take a great deal of time to get used to. Nor did I expect to be so...complete. And it even feels like my processing and thought is nearly as fast as it had been despite likely being encased in...well, meat."

8. - Top - End - #788
    Bugbear in the Playground

Operation Sea Slug

The lich gives her a puzzled look. "You still look part metal to me, but what do I know? I don't have either. The distinction is kinda lost on me anyway. We're all ultimately machines, just more or less effective at what we do." She looks at TTN up and down. "But you're at least healed, right? That was the point of all that after all. Do you mind if I try something before we go back to your little friends though? I need to test a theory. I'm going to attempt to give you a mental command, simply to touch your chest, and you're going to try your hardest to resist that. Is that alright with you?"
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2019-09-05 at 10:18 AM.

9. - Top - End - #789
    Ogre in the Playground

[Necromancer’s Plague Dig]

Krayger knows enough about heavy construction equipment to shut down the digger, but he wasn’t hired to fix a graveyard.
    Though he really should finish the job with these skeletons. Switching weapons again he goes about heading over to the rest of the workers with his axe so he can finish off all the other minions.

10. - Top - End - #790
    Orc in the Playground

Marlick Bay

Benedict looks around at the other people in the tavern, before approaching the fire and the people sat there. The goblet he has just bought has disappeared into a pocket in his jacket, and isn't visible. "Hello, everyone. I am looking for some additional protection, and require a mercenary. I am willing to pay, for up to three days service. Anybody interested?" He looks the group over, but is focused primarily upon Zophiel.

Necromancer's Plague Dig

The digger is turned off, and then the skeletons are dispatched. None of them resist as Krayger dismantles them with his axe, though there might be a few others around the other buildings.

11. - Top - End - #791
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, that was at least cathartic.
    ”Well, is that it then? I think I got most of these minions, and I’ll deliver this idiot to my employer. Anything else you need?” he asks the nymph.

12. - Top - End - #792
    Orc in the Playground

Necromancer's Plague Dig

"No, nothing. Though you might want to have a look around, that guy had plenty of magic and stuff. I can't really go get it myself, I can't leave the water, except during the solstices or during particularly heavy rain." Considering how much magical jewellery the necromancer wears, there's a good possibility there's more about that could either be useful to Krayger, or too dangerous if found by somebody unpleasant or immoral.

13. - Top - End - #793
    Ogre in the Playground

Krayger nods. Well, he might as well try to make things lucrative.
    ”Very well. I’m going to leave him here. If he wakes up and seems like he’s going to escape, you have my permission to kill him.” And with that he goes back to search the trailer.
    He suspects he’s going to want to cover his oversized nose while he’s inside it.

14. - Top - End - #794
    Orc in the Playground

Necromancer's Plague Dig

Well, the trailer isn't a caravan. It's just a little thing that the digger was in to be brought over here. The motorhome, however, does in fact smell. It's quite cramped, with a sofa that folds out into a bed, a small kitchen area and a small toilet cubicle. The door to the toilet is open, and there's mud everywhere. There's dirty clothes strewn across the sofa/bed, and a table covered in dirty artefacts. There's a worn silver coin marked with a skull on each side, a brass dagger, a broken and corroded sword with a jade owl worked into the pommel and a bone key, all magic in various ways. There's a stack of books and magazines next to the sofa/bed; some of the magazines are hobbyist ones about coins and metal detectoring, whilst the books are mostly large, heavy and bound in various types of leather- including one with a face on it, prominently located on top.

15. - Top - End - #795

[Marlick Bay]

"Alright, thank-you," Zophiel says to the barmaid-woman.
    ...That's, actually, slightly more mundane than he was expecting. Given what the paladin was thinking, he was half-expecting her to say 'nobody ever goes there, it's been abandoned for ages' or something along those lines.
    Instead...
    It's just very normal. Normal church, with a possibly-xenophobic caretaker who is probably alone there. Something's weird, but at least it doesn't seem to be inherently tied up with all the other stuff going on. It's something interesting, but unless there's something hidden there, most of his questions about the church are nowhere near as important as the storm and whatever there is in the sea.

He brings the towel over to the fireplace, to hang it up.

Now he is there and hears Benedict's offer.
    If he's right about the storm, it's going to keep on going until either something arrives arrives, or it will just continue indefinitely. Zophiel didn't bring that much money here in the first place, and he can't just keep on bumming money off of Anchor this whole time while they're stuck here. If the storm goes on as long as he expects it to, he'll run out of money before leaving becomes an option. (Speaking of which, he still has to return the coins she gave him.) And after he runs out, what then? He'll need to find some way to make money. Might as well delay that day as long as possible.

So, in an effort to be a responsible person, he takes up Benedict's offer. "I was planning on leaving shortly after the storm ends -" even though he's not expecting it to end anytime soon "-but I'm interested in that offer, for standard fare."

He walks towards Benedict. "Do you wish to go somewhere to discuss the terms of employment, first?" he asks.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    (and basically everything else that starts with 'f')
    ALSO! Come roleplay FFRPG in the Nexus!
    Nexus Characters.

16. - Top - End - #796
    Ogre in the Playground

Necromancer’s Plague Dig

Krayger does his best to inspect the items, but he has no expertise in identifying magic items. He tries to flip through the books but will run into the same problem. Krayger wants to gain some ability in magic since MERC is always dealing with magic problems these days, but this guy’s brand isn’t what he’s interested in.

17. - Top - End - #797
    Ogre in the Playground

Operation Sea Slug

The lich gives her a puzzled look. "You still look part metal to me, but what do I know? I don't have either. The distinction is kinda lost on me anyway. We're all ultimately machines, just more or less effective at what we do." She looks at TTN up and down. "But you're at least healed, right? That was the point of all that after all. Do you mind if I try something before we go back to your little friends though? I need to test a theory. I'm going to attempt to give you a mental command, simply to touch your chest, and you're going to try your hardest to resist that. Is that alright with you?"
    Operation Sea Slug

"Fair enough. Metal or organic, it is all a machine." TTN agrees as she feels herself over to get a better picture of what she looks and feels like. She's certainly different than any life form she'd seen or had a database on, but similar enough that she could guess as to some of the basis of it. For a moment she's lost in thought before snapping out of it at the lich's request. "Oh, certainly. Yes, please try. I am curious myself." She admits before standing still and holding her hands out to her side, ready to try and resist with all her might.

18. - Top - End - #798

Operation Sea Slug

"Good, good, let's try it out then. I'm starting... now. Touch your chest." A beat. "Does it sound weird to you when I say that? Or is that just me?" Either way, TTN will feel a weak urge to put her hands on her chest, but nothing she won't be able to resist.
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2019-09-07 at 04:12 PM.

19. - Top - End - #799
    Orc in the Playground

Necromancer's Plague Dig

The books are written in archaic language, but the thickest one is written in pretty plain and understandable font. Somebody might be able to learn necromancy from it; it's simple enough. From there, the others might be usable, too... But perhaps Krayger shouldn't dabble in what some seem as dark arts.

Identifying the dagger's quite easy; it's sharper than it should be, and self-cleaning as well. Using it should reveal that fast enough. The coin and pommel-stone are a little trickier, but the key is reasonably straightforward, should he find a lock to try and open with it. The skeleton key would open pretty much any lock.

20. - Top - End - #800
    Ogre in the Playground

Krayger shrugs and puts the items into a sack and the sack into his bag. He'll do something about them later. For now, carrying them shouldn't be a hassle. But it only makes him more annoyed that he's still hopelessly clueless about these things.
    He isn't very interested in the building the mobile home is parked next to; if it was interesting wouldn't the mage have been sleeping in there instead of this thin tin thing? He'll only take a quick peek in, in case there's anything large and noteworthy.

21. - Top - End - #801
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Earl of Purple View Post
    Amusement Beach

Natalie's wearing a yellow sundress and a large straw hat, with a pair of white trainers on her feet and mirrored aviator sunglasses. She's got her battered red rucksack slung over her back, loaded with everything she might need, and she's carrying a bag filled with tuppence coins. "It's really busy, Kari. I wasn't expecting so many people."
    [Amusement Beach]

Karasu's wearing a purple sundress with white polka dots and a matching straw hat and sunglasses, but is wearing a pair of flip-flop slippers, instead. She has her own storage disc with her, loaded with everything she might need, including money.

Hand-in-hand with Natalie, she smiles at her girlfriend's comment. "Wait till we get closer. It only looks like this because we're looking down from this incline. When we're there, you can have a closer butcher[look] and you'll see it's not as busy."

She leads Natalie down until they're at the area proper, with people moving about having fun. They start at the beach section, from the direction they came in, and there's an array of people sitting or walking, either trying to tan or take in the sunlight. Some are playing beach games, there's Asher randomly just building a sandcastle with his hands. He spots, them, waves but returns to what he's doing. At the very entrance is a ticket booth.

Karasu leads Natalie to a booth, which is staffed by an 18-year old half-elf wearing a uniform, with black hair and green eyes. "Hi, Ari. This is Aradhya Lloyd, Talie. Ari, this is Natalie Flome, my girlfriend."

The girl, who looks kinda serious, softens and smiles when Karasu shows up. She looks at the two and nods. "Natalie, huh? I'm straight as an arrow, but I can tell Karasu has great taste." She looks like she has more to say, but decides to wait until Natalie's replied her.
    Purple Eagle's character list
    Love is the message.

22. - Top - End - #802
    Ogre in the Playground

Operation Sea Slug

"Good, good, let's try it out then. I'm starting... now. Touch your chest." A beat. "Does it sound weird to you when I say that? Or is that just me?" Either way, TTN will feel a weak urge to put her hands on her chest, but nothing she won't be able to resist.
    Operation Sea Slug

TTN hadn't actually expected the urge to move her arm, so it catches her off guard. Even so, she expects it wouldn't be a good thing to be able to completely ignore orders from someone like this...

Instead, she moves her arm, following the urge, but she clenches her fist the entire time and tenses her muscles to appear like she is struggling against the inevitable command. Finally, she touches her chest as ordered. "That...was exceedingly strange." She admits truthfully.

23. - Top - End - #803
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default [Marklick Bay]

Quote Originally Posted by Rebonack View Post
    "The towel? Oh, just on the drying rack there by the fire. That way it'll be dry and toasty for the next soggy soul to come out," the older bar-maid replies pleasantly. When asked about the church, there's a moment's hesitation. "Not much to tell? It's just a shrine to all the gods. Nothing too unusual? I guess it's a bit on the fancy size, considering the size of our town. But Neptune blesses us, so a nice shrine seems like it's the least we could do."

Janda, meanwhile, replies with a shrug.

"Maybe it was plated before the ship that it was on sank? Or maybe something in the ocean is creating these objects. If local stories are accurate, the volume of treasure that washes up here regularly is just short of remarkable. I doubt ocean currents could account for all of it. Nor all the wrecks off the coast here. I checked historical accounts and inventories of goods. Only four merchant vessels have sunk on the reef here and none of them were carrying anything like this."

She hefts the shell slightly for emphasis.
    Quote Originally Posted by bc56 View Post
    "Strange. Maybe there's something else out there? Maybe a ship carrying treasure was wrecked out there before the town was founded." Sekhmet finds this fascinating. What could cause such a thing?
    Quote Originally Posted by 5a Violista View Post
    "Alright, thank-you," Zophiel says to the barmaid-woman.
    ...That's, actually, slightly more mundane than he was expecting. Given what the paladin was thinking, he was half-expecting her to say 'nobody ever goes there, it's been abandoned for ages' or something along those lines.
    Instead...
    It's just very normal. Normal church, with a possibly-xenophobic caretaker who is probably alone there. Something's weird, but at least it doesn't seem to be inherently tied up with all the other stuff going on. It's something interesting, but unless there's something hidden there, most of his questions about the church are nowhere near as important as the storm and whatever there is in the sea.

He brings the towel over to the fireplace, to hang it up.

Now he is there and hears Benedict's offer.
    If he's right about the storm, it's going to keep on going until either something arrives arrives, or it will just continue indefinitely. Zophiel didn't bring that much money here in the first place, and he can't just keep on bumming money off of Anchor this whole time while they're stuck here. If the storm goes on as long as he expects it to, he'll run out of money before leaving becomes an option. (Speaking of which, he still has to return the coins she gave him.) And after he runs out, what then? He'll need to find some way to make money. Might as well delay that day as long as possible.

So, in an effort to be a responsible person, he takes up Benedict's offer. "I was planning on leaving shortly after the storm ends -" even though he's not expecting it to end anytime soon "-but I'm interested in that offer, for standard fare."

He walks towards Benedict. "Do you wish to go somewhere to discuss the terms of employment, first?" he asks.
    "Well, if it's not from a merchant ship, it must be from something else. I mean, it could be pirates, or merpeople, or a secret submarine." Anchor reasons.
    Or it could be connected to the mysterious force the god is trying to drive away.
    Did he mention what god the town follows? That could be trouble, actually.
    But when Anchor looks, Zophiel is already going to talk to someone else.
    "I bet it's just the sea creatures around here liking gold, though."
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

24. - Top - End - #804
    Orc in the Playground

Necromancer's Plague Dig

The large building is a single wide-open space, and inside there's a pile of bones and three skeletons working on sorting them and arranging them into complete skeletons. Two of the skeletons working in here are old and brown, like the bones in the pile they're sorting; the third is polished and shining. There's also a folding trestle-table covered in artefacts, most dirty and old, worn or corroded. There's a silver axe-blade on a rotten wood haft, shining with internal light; a bronze vambrace and a glass eye with a valknut-shaped pupil.

Amusement Beach

Natalie nods and goes down with Karasu, waving at Asher.

She blushes at Ari's words, and smiles. "Um, hi Ari. It's a pleasure to meet you. Uh, how do you two know each other?" Her interest has been piqued, and she's curious. She'd also like to get to the park, but a little chat won't slow them much.
    Last edited by Earl of Purple; 2019-09-09 at 03:25 PM.

25. - Top - End - #805

Quote Originally Posted by UncleWolf View Post
    Operation Sea Slug

TTN hadn't actually expected the urge to move her arm, so it catches her off guard. Even so, she expects it wouldn't be a good thing to be able to completely ignore orders from someone like this...

Instead, she moves her arm, following the urge, but she clenches her fist the entire time and tenses her muscles to appear like she is struggling against the inevitable command. Finally, she touches her chest as ordered. "That...was exceedingly strange." She admits truthfully.
    Operation Sea Slug

"Yes." Lannefear agrees, though does not seem particularly pleased with the outcome. "Though this only means I need to study it further. Just... one more time. Something a bit more complex. Jump up and down."

TTN will have the same feeling, a mild complusion which could be resisted if she tired hard enough. If she had been low on energy power it might have been difficult perhaps but right now she feels completely refreshed."

[Anika and Blanche in... The Moon Well of Mysteries]

It has taken most of the day but finally they can see the island Anika apparently was talking about. "There it is! At the horizon!" Unlike all those other islands at the horizon they've caught glimpses of course.
    But this one is peculiar as if Anika's vague one-handed gesturing is correct then they're going towards and island with a huge freaking mountain on it. What kind of mountain, well, depends on how much Blanche knows about geography. It might become important here.

Either way, Blanche will spot a floating sign reading "PRIVATE PROPERTY OF THE VENTURE FOUNDATION. NO TRESPASSING."
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2019-09-10 at 07:24 AM.

26. - Top - End - #806
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, the axe has Krayger's attention, at the very least. But for now, he has to deal with the minions. He doesn't expect too much trouble with them considering the poor performance of the last squad of workers. He doesn't expect his axe to have any more trouble with these than it did with those as he strides across the room with it drawn, winding up for a few measured swings.

27. - Top - End - #807
    Orc in the Playground

Necromancer's Plague Dig

These skeletons again don't pose any threat and are easily dispatched by Krayger's axe, and he can claim the artefacts from the trestle table. One of the skeletons was carrying a silver amulet to the table, with a valknut carved onto it. Given the fact it wasn't yet on the table, and the skeleton was violently dismantled with an axe, Krayger might miss it. The amulet doesn't have a thong or chain to wear it on, however.

28. - Top - End - #808
    Ogre in the Playground

Krayger does spot the amulet. He’s had lots of experience over the years learning to notice shiny things in his peripheral vision.
    That said, he still can’t really identify anything about the artifacts so unless their effects jump out at him they will simply be claimed before he moves on.

29. - Top - End - #809
    Barbarian in the Playground

[Marlick Bay]

"I hadn't really considered merfolk," Janda admits. "Or... submarines."

Wouldn't a secret submarine be less likely to smash into a reef?

They have sonar and stuff!

And reefs are notoriously shallow. That's what makes them reefs.

Maybe it was a wrecked submarine full of gold shells?

Or maybe there's some weird underwater critter that likes coating shells in gold?

Heck, there are fresh water bacteria that make little shells out of gold. Maybe that's how the shell got coated? Some sort of bacterial mat? Sadly there are too few biologists here. Just a bunch of wet adventurers and some merchants.

"I'm mostly just hoping this storm ends soon so I can get back to speaking with the shop owners around town," Janda admits.
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    The Eternal Game Nightmære Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

30. - Top - End - #810
    Orc in the Playground

Necromancer's Plague Dig

Krayger may feel a little more alert, whilst the amulet touches his skin. He feels less tired and slightly more paranoid, as the amulet provides a very slight boost to his senses and halves his need to sleep.

The chapel is still in very good condition, though the roof is missing. The stonework is very fine, and there's ten stone pews, five on either side of a central aisle. At the far end of the chapel, underneath a broken stained glass window, is a marble altar. Resting on the altar is a book made of verdigrised bronze plates, held together by very rusty wire loops; they look very brittle, opening it might break the wire and cause the pages to come apart, though the pages themselves seem readable.