New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 33 of 50 FirstFirst ... 8232425262728293031323334353637383940414243 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #961
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Seaside 4: Where Every Week Is Shark Week

Anika and Blanche in... The Moonwell of Mysteries

The vines will recede as Anika and Blanche make a run for it.

"[ANGRY BEAR NOISES]" The druid replies while starting to slowly circle to the side.
    "I am Sargon, emperor of my people." The crown-clad pit fiend remarks. "I am going to suggest we pass like two ships in the night though. I'm sure you realize what my presence implies after all. You really should get out of here." He smiles at the two.

2. - Top - End - #962

Blanche responds in a very predictable manner, which is to take a potshot right at Sargon's unarmored face. She's very doubtful that it'll kill him, but it'll be very satisfying if it lands at least. "Oh, [caress] off. We're not going anywhere, and I highly doubt that stupid little crown of yours doesn't make you any less mortal."
    "Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Spoiler: Quotes from Friends <3
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by SliiArhem
    Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.

Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? Try joining our Discord server!

3. - Top - End - #963

The other fiend suddenly interjects itself between Blanche and Sargon and takes her shot right to the chest. The demon grunts and staggers backwards, though it isn't clear if Blanche did any real damage to it.
    "Symbols can be more powerful than armor." The pit emperor remarks as the temperature around them seem to instantly drop enough to cause frost to form on the vegetation around them.

Anika is oddly enough hesitating. Any sudden moves she made would cause Blanche's aim to be off and suddenly attacking might make her fall off as while she was holding the gun she wasn't holding on to her.

Instead she attempts to circle around the pit fiend so that Blanche might get another shot at Sargon. However, the demon king seems to have produced a shield and a spear from nowhere and with a sudden brust of speed he thrusts the spear towards the catgirl once they're in sight of one another.

4. - Top - End - #964

"A symbol is just something for cowards to hide behind," Blanche spits, shifting her grip on the rifle and thrusting it upwards to push the spear out of the way. "Don't grand conquerors like you have better things to do than curbstomp locals and make messes of nice vistas?"

Sensing the dilemma Anika's facing, Blanche shifts to a one-handed grip on the rifle, using her other arm to support it and taking another potshot at the fiend as she leans down to the bear's ear, hissing "We need to get out of here."
    "Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show
    Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.

5. - Top - End - #965

The eerie blue orbs that make up Sargon's eyes widens slightly. "Conqueror?" Sargon chuckles as he suddenly let's go of the spear, which flickers out of existence, and thrusts his shield right into Anika's flank.
    The bear growls as she falls over, which likely will cause Blanche to lose balance as well so if her shot hits or not depends on the catgirls aim. The druid is quick to stagger up on her feet again though.
    But depending on if Blanche managed to hit Sargon or not, he will either attempt to reach out when she's unbalanced, push it away from him, and then pull it out of her hands with his now free hand. OR he will stagger backwards as he's being shot and attempt to use the lower tip of his kiteshield to slam the catgirls weapon out of her hands. "What a grand title..."
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2019-11-03 at 09:36 AM.

6. - Top - End - #966

”Agh, [caress], Blanche curses under her breath as Sargon slams into the duo, gripping onto Anika tightly as her shot goes wide and the bear teeters beneath her. But as Sargon seizes the barrel of her rifle, her hand returns to the forestock to resist letting him wrestle it out of her hand, barely able to resist the stronger foe. She uses the momentum of him yanking it back towards him to slam the bolt back and fire another round; while the shot won’t hit him, it might at least startle him somewhat, especially considering proximity. The recoil will help counter his grip as well.
    Last edited by Arkhosia; 2019-11-03 at 11:32 AM.
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show

7. - Top - End - #967
    Barbarian in the Playground

The Docks

Kosh arrives a little later than the other recruits, having gotten slightly lost on his way to the docks. Upon seeing the work to be done he corks his bottle of rum, tucking it away into a pocket, and starts lifting crates onto the boat with the other workers. Lads. He says with a nod.
    Last edited by billtodamax; 2019-11-04 at 08:55 AM.
    Recaiden made the mime doll.

Spoiler: Nexus Characters
    Show

8. - Top - End - #968

Sargon does seem to blink as Blanche's gun goes off. But it isn't enough to make him let go off the gun even if how she yanks it towards him loosens the demons grip on the rifle a bit. As he feels it heat up when the projectile is fired he pulls away, but attempts to take the rifle with him. Meanwhile, Anika has had enough time to recover and starts running towards the beach once more.
    It's really up to how Blanche handles it if she manages to keep her rifle or not. It seems like the druid is getting out of there.

9. - Top - End - #969

Blanche grips onto her weapon desperately - but it’s not enough to counter the pitfiend’s immense strength, and the rifle goes flying free from her hands as Anika bolts away.

”Agh, [Shist]!” Blanche curses, clutching back onto Anika. “This is not good at all!” She digs into her bag as best she can, retrieving her cell and attempting to phone VIGIL.
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show

10. - Top - End - #970
    Firbolg in the Playground

The Docks

Quote Originally Posted by Deathkeeper View Post
    The three people Omiko spoke to at the bar who weren’t dwarves arrive at around the same time. The Tengu and Bangaa are dressed more or less the same, while the human lady is wearing an armored coat.
    “Are we early?” Asks the bird-person, with a trilling voice.
    “Hope not. Wouldn’t want to be sittin’ here all day.” Says the human, clearly impatient.
    Quote Originally Posted by billtodamax View Post
    Kosh arrives a little later than the other recruits, having gotten slightly lost on his way to the docks. Upon seeing the work to be done he corks his bottle of rum, tucking it away into a pocket, and starts lifting crates onto the boat with the other workers. Lads. He says with a nod.
    "Lad! Good to have you." says the human.
    The fishbot gives an approving nod as it trudges past in the other direction.

Omiko comes strolling up behind the non-dwarves.
    "No, no, you're right on time."

She hefts one of the few remaining c rates with her mechanical claw.
    "Welcome to the Vasa, the best ancient crystal pirate submarine in the Nexus. Help get these last things aboard and we'll be off."
    "Gambrel, get everyone's names."

"Yes, captain!" says the lynxman crew member.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

11. - Top - End - #971
    Ogre in the Playground

[Operation Sea Slug]

"Well, I can confirm that this is a Reclamation League job. Titania, Tammy and me were just the hired help. I would very much appreciate you helping, Ma'am." Will tells the lich.

He turns and frowns at TTN. Well, as much as he can.
    "Didn't I just say that's why I was here, Titania? And don't you dare use that movie line on me. I’ve heard plenty of speeches. But I’ll take me as long to lose the gut as it did to get it, minimum. And picking up skills will take longer. I have plans, Titania they just...are going to take a while. Not all our problems can be solved in five minutes with demon magic."
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcaller View Post
    [Operation Sea Slug]

"Alright, alright... calm your dangly parts. Let me just get the olde fingers working. It might take a bit to get the right snap after so long." Lannegear stands back and... starts snapping her fingers, seemingly listening on with her non-existant ears to each snap.

Sargera let's out a quiet sigh of relief and the rest of her group look visibly relieved as well. They don't seem to pay much attention to the discussion between Will and Titania.
    Tammy looks a bit concerned but she's staying out of the discussion while holding her imp still in her knee, covering its mouth with her hand, much to its annoyance it seems.
    Operation Sea Slug

"Good." Titania insists. "I only have one thing to add to this and I want you to take it to heart. Believe in the me that believes in you. We can work on whatever you'd like together after this." She promises before turning to Tammy and actually kneeling, as if to submit to her in a way. "Tammy, thank you. For everything. We couldn't have done this without you and I especially want to thank you for keeping him safe. If there is ever anything I can do for you in the future, all you need to do is ask. Even if it involves roughing up a particular tax agent."

12. - Top - End - #972
    Ogre in the Playground

Operation Sea Slug

Will’s eyes narrow.
    ”Did you just quote-" He decides not to continue this line of thought where everyone can overhear them.
    He brightens a bit. Poor Tammy has been caught in all of this as bad as anyone. And her companion is a lot more annoying than his is. Though probably less suicidal.
    ”Yeah, thanks Tammy. You’re a good friend.”

Docks

The Bangaa signs using a series of rapid gestures that generate letters around his hands. He is known as Ras’Loran, and he has a voice but cannot speak properly. He easily hefts one of the larger crates.
    “Oh, hullo sirrah, yous can call me Soliloquy. Ma was the dramatic sort.” Says the Tengu, taking one of the smaller boxes.
    The human woman snags a set of small boxes in a neat stack and immediately sets out after Omiko.
    “Crystal? What kind of crystal she run on? What kind of power? How deep does she go?” She asks, eyes glittering.
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

13. - Top - End - #973

Operation Sea Slug

Tammy smiles widely and it looks like she's about to reply when Lannereth suddenly laughs. "Aha! Triumph!" Then by repeating the last snap she made... nothing happens.

"Wait..." She snaps once more and Will, Tammy, Sargera, and all the others will be returned to their original size.
    Stepping back, the lich makes a dramatic bow. "It is done! Now you may go back to your humble lives dear audience while I-" She suddenly looks around. "Wow, this place sure is a dump, isn't it?" She points a bony finger at TTN (and Will if he wishes to be included in her vague gestures). "Tittynia! Name a nicer place." Lannereth... might have gotten the name wrong there and also the wrong person as Titania is the least likely in the group to know of any nice places.

"[BEAR NOISES!]" Anika says, probably agreeing.
    They're practically flying through the jungle though despite the fact that it doesn't look like they're being followed by the demons.
    "'J'ello." She can hear in the other end as she connects directly to VIGIL.
    "...uh, this is WATCHTOWER- er, VIGIL. Yes, this is VIGIL speaking." A beat "Am not being unclear am I? Like, I'm not actually the concept of VIGIL speaking... yeah, you got it."

[An Unusual Ritual]

Now this is unusual. The voice inside Tellysandra's mind giggled. Usually it's the other way around. It's so fascinating, so arousing.

"Not while I'm trying to focus, dear..." Tellysandra mused as she empied the last vial into the basin.
    You're not being very fun now.
    "I never said this would be fun for you, did I? Though I think you might find her reaction amusing. Until she calls in VIGIL of course." Tellysandra smiled as she mentioned just the thing she wanted to avoid. It hadn't been easy, but she was pretty sure she had the perfect set-up now.
    She flexed the claws of her borrowed body, making sure she had perfect control just before she initiated the ritual.

Jezebel will be abruptly awoken as she finds herself moving through what feels like thick water. Then the next moment she emerges in the middle of what seems to be a basin filled with blood. She has somehow ended up inside some kind of stone chamber which must be somewhere rather public as she can hear the faint murmurs of a crowd just outside a heavy curtain which been pulled, leaving the in darkness.
    Then a woman's voice. "Hello Jezebel. Or do you prefer Lady Tel'vree? I'm unaccustomed to the nobility of your homeworld I'm afraid."
    A demon. Only her figure resemble a humans as her eyes literary glow and her hands end in vicious claws. There are horns too, and probably sharp teeth though it's difficult to make out too much beyond the fact that she isn't wearing a lot of clothes.
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2019-11-04 at 03:00 PM.

14. - Top - End - #974

"This is Blanche Turath, I'm calling to request backup as soon as possible," the catgirl barks into the phone, shifting into that commanding tone that Anika's heard at least a couple times by now. "I'm a VIGIL member, went to investigate a moonwell on an island in Seaside and ran into the demon Sargon and one of his allies. My ally and I aren't strong enough to repel him, and we don't have any means of asset denial. Coordinates are, uh..." she glances at another application in her phone before reading off a string of coordinates it gives her.

"We should try and rendezvous with the security force, they're our best chance of having enough manpower to hold anyone off here," she suggests to Anika, leaning away from the phone to address her.
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show

15. - Top - End - #975
    Ogre in the Playground

Operation Sea Slug

The question takes TTN by surprise more than her mangled name. "I...I suppose there is the Port City that we set sail from, but I am not sure how much you would like it there." She admits. It'd been the only other place she'd been to however.

An Unusual Ritual

Jezebel had been laying in bed before this began, snuggled up to a warm and sleeping mage all the while feigning sleep. It had been a nice and peaceful night with nice and peaceful thoughts, but when she breaks the surface of the pool of blood, she gasps and snaps fully awake. It wasn't the first summoning she'd experienced, but it was perhaps the most unpleasant. More than a little of that blood got into her mouth, but try as she might she won't be able to sit all of it out. She reaches up, wiping the blood from her eyes and steps forward, out of the basin if she can. Her expensive nightgown was ruined now for nothing would get so much blood out of it, and she takes a moment to fling her blood-soaked hair back over her shoulder. "What is the meaning of this?" She demands, hissing with venom in her voice. Despite the surprise, Jezebel was definitely on her guard and ready to lash out.

16. - Top - End - #976

"Uh... demons, seaside, cordinates... could you repeat all that?" The voice on the other end replies.
    "I got the most of it, but..." A beat. "I should just make the call, shouldn't I?"

Anika have now almost reached the beach and they can see their boat, fully uncovered, in the distance. There is a bit of a snag though as there are two goblins positioned at it. Raising guns rather large for their size as the bear comes running. "Freeze!"

An Unusual Ritual

"How thoughtless of me. One moment." The demon makes a pulling gesture and suddenly all the blood that soaked Jezebel's clothes somehow falls back into the blood, leaving her completely clean. "But yes, I completely understand your repulsion, but let's try to still remain civil, shall we? I am Ildabog, demon of some renown, and I have heard about you. You are just like me. A human ascending into a demon." She pauses. "I want to ask a few questions, and give a few answers in return. Is that alright with you? I'm curious about you."
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2019-11-04 at 04:09 PM.

17. - Top - End - #977
    Ogre in the Playground

Operation Sea Slug

Will shakes his head.
    ”I don’t think she’d like Itiki. It’s very loud and not built for people our size. Well except the gnoll parts of town. But it’s still nicer than Skyside. Don’t go to Skyside unless you have a ton of money to keep the dirty parts of town from creeping in.” And he would know, having been part of those dirty parts for half his life. If he had money he wouldn’t have wanted to be anywhere near the cutthroats he lived alongside.

18. - Top - End - #978

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcaller View Post

"Uh... demons, seaside, cordinates... could you repeat all that?" The voice on the other end replies.
    "I got the most of it, but..." A beat. "I should just make the call, shouldn't I?"

Anika have now almost reached the beach and they can see their boat, fully uncovered, in the distance. There is a bit of a snag though as there are two goblins positioned at it. Raising guns rather large for their size as the bear comes running. "Freeze!"
    ”Blanche Turath, investigating Moonwell at [Coordinates], Sargon’s here, need backup.” She tries to keep the urgency from causing her to rush too much, but it’s hard to keep her voice completely devoid of any underlying fear and need. She blinks as she spots the goblins, adding, “Gonna have to call you back.”

“Anika, slow down! Hey, we’re the least of your problems right now! Demons are here for the well, we need your help to stop them!” She’s exactly in any position to be barking orders at the duo, sure, but she’s seen plenty of commanders manage to boss people around so well they barely question it. Maybe she can pull it off?
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show

19. - Top - End - #979

"O-okay!"

Blanche hangs up just in time as she likely have to cling to Anika tigher once the bear abruptly stops a few meters in front of the goblins.
    They are slowly lowering their weapons once the druid stops but still don't seem very friendly. "Demons...?" The goblins glance at one another. "Right, yeah, we heard about that claim. But if that's actually true, then we're all leaving. Call it a 'tactical retreat' if you will." He points his rifle at their boat. "So you better get this into the water."

His companion suddenly gets a call from his walkie-talkie. "We got demon sightings. Retreat confirm, over."
    "Yeah, copy that. We got our 'guests' here. Think we might hitch a ride with them so don't wait around for us. We'll meet you up at the Racketeer."
    "Copy that. Confirm once you're in the clear."

Operation Sea Slug

"We still have our boat-" Sargera starts, and it looks like Tammy might contribute as well, when the lich interrupts them once again by loudly speaking over the gnoll.
    "Actually, why am I even asking you? I got a much better idea. I'm going to go down and set things up for a bit. If you want to come along you'll meet me down in my chamber in about a quartzel. Otherwise our business is now concluded. Ta." She walks off and no one seems to want to argue with the lich as she starts descending the ladder. Though she stops herself right as she is about to disappear down into the darkness. "Oh, except you, Tititnia. I want you to come along with me."
    Sargera is quietly exchanging words with the other gnolls. Sounds like they're making a plan.

20. - Top - End - #980

Blanche nearly loses purchase as Anika skids to a halt in the sand, but manages to keep herself stable by pressing her knees closer into the bear's pelt before dismounting a little shakily. There's a brief look of disgust as she does so; all that wind and fur might have dried off some of the well's water from her skin, but it seems she's still damp enough for sand to stick to.

"You better not be abandoning this place. Their goddamn leader is here, and he's here for a reason." Blanche moves to get the boat into the water, gesturing for Anika to assist. "Where the hell have you run into this prick? Riverside?"
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show

21. - Top - End - #981

Anika makes more bear noises before she shapeshifts back into her humanoid form. "Yeah! That's the dude! The one in all the project-things. The boss-guy, talked all the time." She claims while moving towards the boat. She will start to push it towards the water along with Blanche as soon as they reach it.

The two goblins appear startled at her sudden change and retreat back from the boat, though they quickly seem to realize they prefer her as an elf than a bear.
    "Eh... abandon what? The island is deserted and we aren't equipped or paid to fight demons. We'll call in the army, that's their job and I'm guessing its yours t-"
    He stops dead in his own sentence as he notices his partner making a gesture.
    "****. We got incoming." He hisses while the two start to fall back, aiming their gun towards the seemingly innocent vegetation.

However, they will all likely find themselves staring at the sky as a group of huge winged creatures comes swooping in from the air above. They have the body and head of giant black vultures but have long snake-like necks and what appear to be two pair of arms just underneath their wings., which are just as naked as their heads.

It should be noted that both the goblins seem to have a spare hand-gun holstered. One of them even seem to have a grenade in his belt.
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2019-11-06 at 09:41 AM.

22. - Top - End - #982

Docks

Kosh. Kosh says, reaching toward the lynxman to give him a handshake (once all the loading is done). The uh, muscle. He adds with a smile. We all ready to set out?

Show

23. - Top - End - #983

"I don't think we have it in us to shut him up anytime soon, at least not alone. I don't have the equipment for dealing with armor like that - not to mention, that [caress]er took my favorite gun!" Frustration rises to the surface there. It's not just the loss of her rifle, however; Blanche has never done well with being in a position of powerlessness. And right now, she's feeling fairly powerless. "Abandon what? Jesus, did it really never occur to anyone that the strange glowing well might be more important than any old puddle?"

Then, things start to escalate. Blanche gazes up with revulsion as the creatures descend upon the island, but doesn't linger too long as she notices the goblins' own change of focus. Capitalizing on this, she reaches in her bag to retrieve the pistol she kept tucked away within, fastening the holster around her waist before loading a magazine.
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show

24. - Top - End - #984
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default [Docks]

The Bangaa signs using a series of rapid gestures that generate letters around his hands. He is known as Ras’Loran, and he has a voice but cannot speak properly. He easily hefts one of the larger crates.
    “Oh, hullo sirrah, yous can call me Soliloquy. Ma was the dramatic sort.” Says the Tengu, taking one of the smaller boxes.
    The human woman snags a set of small boxes in a neat stack and immediately sets out after Omiko.
    “Crystal? What kind of crystal she run on? What kind of power? How deep does she go?” She asks, eyes glittering.
    Quote Originally Posted by billtodamax View Post
    Kosh. Kosh says, reaching toward the lynxman to give him a handshake (once all the loading is done). The uh, muscle. He adds with a smile. We all ready to set out?
    Well, that's an inconvenient way to talk. Has some uses, though.

"Yes, as soon as everyone's aboard we'll cast off." Gambel tells Kosh, shaking his hand. He then tries to interrupt the human woman to get her name.

Omiko, not caring, goes on about the ship. "It's mostly dumortierite for the engines, with quartzes for storing mana. Then there's for some of the structure and style. Goes 'half a league', though we shouldn't have to get that deep on this excursion."

Things are stowed away quickly and mostly-safely, thanks to everyone pitching in. Lines are untied, engines spun up, and the vessel gets underway, heading out into the ocean. It stays up at the surface for now.

You might find the inside a little cramped, if you're not a dwarf.
    You are all invited to stay out of the cockpit and engine room.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

25. - Top - End - #985
    Ogre in the Playground

[Submarine]

The lady smiles.
    “Lena Cruz, at your service.” She says. She seems to be in better spirits than when they first met.

As far as the trip goes, Ras immediately finds his bunk and falls asleep until he’s called. Soliloquy is noticeably uncomfortable with being trapped inside and immediately finds the largest room she can locate to set up shop (so to speak) for the duration of the trip.
    Lena makes several routes of exploring the ship. She never goes in to the engine room but she does pass by it regularly hoping that someone will leave the door open.

26. - Top - End - #986

The Vasa

Kosh, having pretty much just his clothes and armaments, doesn't bother claiming a room and stands up on deck, looking out over the front of the ship somewhere where he's relatively out of the way. Of course, when work needs to be done he'll see about making himself useful holding and pulling and lifting, generally any dumb labour that needs doing. Does a soul good to be productive.

Show

27. - Top - End - #987

Anika turns around. "Bad birds." She declares.

Then she fires off a white beam from her hands into the face of the cloest creature. The goblins take that as a clue and open fire too. Blanche, as the resident gun expert, might note that the goblins weapons have a huge amount of recoil judging by how the two are holding them and how much push-back there must be. It must take a huge amount of strength for such small persons to even use them, which would explain why these soldiers have much more upper-body strength than other goblins Blanche have come across.

The rifles seem to be doing their job though. While Anika just seem to have blinded the creature, their rifles are punching holes straight through the creatures body.
    However, hitting flying creatures, even that large, is not simple. Especially as they're moving so erretically, going from side to side and suddenly stopping mid-air for no apparent reason.
    Even as one of them fall from the sky, the rest just keep coming. "Get into the boat!"
    "We're getting attacked, full retreat!" The other goblin yell into his radio as they both move towards the boat.

28. - Top - End - #988
    Orc in the Playground

Boilwater Bay

It's a sunny day, but chilly, with a wind off the sea. The sand on the beach is black, volcanic in origin and glints with tiny crystals of quartz. The sea is deep green, with milky white mixed in from the river flowing in at the heart of the bay. There's steam coming off the river, and there's signs up on both sides of it warning people about entering the river itself, as whilst the river is merely uncomfortably hot today, it can be boiling upriver, or worse hot enough to scald without boiling. Fortunately, there's no sign warning against the ocean, where the cold seawater mixes with the hot volcanic water from the river.

This is where Prumathe is coming, with Sekhmet in tow. He's wearing a pair of thick trousers and a black coat. He's also wearing a pair of trainers, and is carrying a rucksack containing a small tent, and a change of clothes. Sekhmet was asked to pack a change of clothes and a swimming-costume. Tucked under his arm is a large parcel, wrapped in blue paper decorated with stars.
    Terrowin Avatar by HappyTurtle. Much thanks!

29. - Top - End - #989

[Marlick Bay]

And thus, the village drifts off to sleep, lulled by the rhythmic pounding of the rain upon the roofs.

All is well.

At least, for a time.

Two hours before dawn, in the deepest dark of the night, a new sound penetrates the thrumming rain and whistling wind.

Barely audible at first, it resolves itself into an alien, high-pitched keening. It resounds with loss, with sadness.

The lament of a mother who has lost her children.

The longing of a sailor stranded far from home.

It echoes from over the sea and grows ever louder until the storm has receded into the background. It fills the ears, insinuates itself through mind until one can think and dream of almost nothing else. It is not beautiful. It is not comforting. No pleasant melody is this.

And yet...

Yet it pulls.

Inexorably.

With all the strength of the waning tide.

Toward the crashing waves.

Those who resist the call will likely awake with a start to the discovery that those ensnared the unearthly keening are shuffling, glassy eyed, out into the driving rain. Most of the body guards in the tavern appear to be enraptured, as is Terza the Gold Leaf Trading Consortium emissary.

"Snap out of it you fool!" hollers Matthias as he shakes his insentient clerk, terrified eyes darting around the room as he watches most of the people in the common room ambling out into the storm.
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    The Eternal Game Nightmære Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

30. - Top - End - #990
    Troll in the Playground

Boilwater Bay

"Isn't it a bit cold for the beach?" Sekhmet is shivering as she follows Prumathe down the beach. She's more sensitive to cold than a normal human, and there aren't many shirts with sleeves made for winged ladies. She wears a black halterneck top and a pair of jeans, and she's currently barefoot. Her wings are wrapped around her to ward against the cold wind.

Marlick Bay
    What is that sound? Sekhmet is entranced, and gets up to join the procession heading out of the door.
    Awesome avatar (Kothar, paladin of Tlacua) by Linkele!

Quote Originally Posted by William Shakespeare, King Lear, IV.i.46
    'Tis the time's plague, when madmen lead the blind.
    My Nexus characters