New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Seaside 4: Where Every Week Is Shark Week

Open Sea

It doesn't take much for the sailor to capsize the boat, all four zombies tumbling helplessly into the water. They don't seem able to swim, but are- at least right now- distressingly buoyant, and float up and grope towards the sailor. Hopefully he can swim, or at least climb onto the bottom of the rowboat. The bearded zombie from the bottom of the boat, the one seriously cannibalised by the others, is an exception; bones don't float, and without the fat and muscle and with holes letting water into his lungs, he sinks.

The old black zombie is belly-down, and tries clawing its way through the water towards the sailor, though hampered by the blind zombie which is trying to grab and bite his ankles. The first zombie knocked overboard is too far away to do much right now, just lying face-up and clawing at the ship above them.

On the ship, all it takes is a solid blow to the head or neck with a cutlass and the zombie's dispatched, so unless the sailors aim primarily for the torso it should be quite easy to re-kill. Outnumbered zombies are no problem, most of the time. Hopefully anyone bitten will receive some potent magical healing quickly, or else that the ship's surgeon happens to keep a cutlass on hand.
    Terrowin Avatar by HappyTurtle. Much thanks!

2. - Top - End - #212
    Halfling in the Playground

[Beach Party - Dancin' wit Tina]

"Ohmigosh, Rein, I just got the best idea," Fettina says, throwing her arm around the cat's shoulders, that tiny sling bikini leaving her whole side bare against him. She gestures wildly at Dena. "Why don't we just go to MERC and pay Dena to dance for us! You know, privately. I've got the cash on me!"
    My avatar was done by Gullara. Thanks again!

"If you meet a spirit walking,
    Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

-Things Our Mothers Tell Us

Nexus Characters

3. - Top - End - #213
    Troll in the Playground

Open Sea

The sailor clambers soddenly onto the bottom of the rowboat, dripping water from his clothes and beard. As the zombies swim nearer, he pulls a brace of flintlock pistols from inside his coat, aiming at the head of the first zombie. He pulls the trigger... Click. The soaked powder fails to light. "Blast," he mutters under his breath, as he reaches for the dagger in his boot.

On the ship, one sailor has been bitten, but there's no magical healing to be found. The ship's surgeon has never seen something like this, and is equally baffled.
    Awesome avatar (Kothar, paladin of Tlacua) by Linkele!

Quote Originally Posted by William Shakespeare, King Lear, IV.i.46
    'Tis the time's plague, when madmen lead the blind.
    My Nexus characters

4. - Top - End - #214
    Ogre in the Playground

[Beach Party - Tropical Island]

If Anika didn't want kisses, she shouldn't have stuck her tongue out so invitingly! She seems to be handling it alright though. Since Anika agrees talking is less interesting than doing, Ilpholin will move to resume the kissing. After spending some time at the elf's lips, she'll start working down the neck, lower and lower until going behind the curtain that keeps the sanctity of the inner temple.

[Beach Party - Dancing with Tina]

Reinholdt shrugs. "Sure, haven't been to MERC in a while." Tina then brushes up against him and makes a delightful suggestion that makes Reinholdt smirk with delight at Dena. "Oooh. That is a brilliant idea. Done and done. We're absolutely doing that. I'm sure MERC won't complain about the sudden influx of cash. I'll go half and half with you Tina." He hands Dena her drink back so he can wrap that arm around Tina's side so he's not off balance with her there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok View Post
    Gods, Reinholdt was right, a hundred percent right.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Quote Originally Posted by Supagoof View Post
    Tale as old as thread
    And you find yourself dead
    Reinholdt was the Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by Philistine View Post
    Reinholdt had already told the truth once in that post, and therefore was over his annual quota.

5. - Top - End - #215
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: [Beach Party - Watching the Stage]

Quote Originally Posted by Recaiden View Post
    Honeysuckle shakes her head.
    "Healer said I'm fine."
    "And I couldn't afford the help of a magician."

She sighs.

"Wouldn't that be nice, to control it? But I can't imagine how; it's never worked before. "
    "Have you tried GloG?" Mia says. "I'm sure they can help. Otherwise maybe I can build something allowing you to at least look around."
    I mostly imagine a device like Cyclops from X men.
    Grammer is my declared deadly enemy!

Let's PLay's in German Take a Look at Bravely Default.

Nexus Characters: LINK

6. - Top - End - #216
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default [Beach Party - Watching the Stage]

"GLoG? I thought they helped like, poor children and apocalypse victims. I've never been."
    Honeysuckle tilts her head, thoughtful.
    "Maybe you could. Or even I could." If DM really helps inventors...

(I've pictured the same thing).

"It's a good idea, Mia. Thanks. I think I'll head there now, while I have some time." And hopefully nothing comes up to stop her on the way there.
    She stands and waves goodbye to the priestess.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

7. - Top - End - #217

~Beach curtains~

Anika slowly raises her head as she looks down on Ilpholin once they're done. "...so do you do this often? Got a feeling that you needed some release." She grins. "I'm all too happy to provide."

Dena raises an eyebrow as Rein hands her back her drink. She should have expected this. "A private dance, huh? Well, if you can afford it..." She shrugs and smiles. "And here I though one dance would be enough to satisfy you. Looks like I just got you hooked instead."

8. - Top - End - #218
    Orc in the Playground

Out at Sea

Well, depending on how bad it is, the surgeon might just want to bandage it or cauterise it. Or the sailor could just ignore it. The smart thing is to just shoot the guy, but I don't think these sailors have watched The Walking Dead, so don't know how it spreads.

The zombies aren't really swimming. More flailing and occasionally pulling themselves through the water in the right direction. He's reasonably safe on the boat; eyeless woman's going the wrong way, as slow as the others, but old black guy's managed to get a grip on the small vessel. Boney guy's sank and hi-vis zombie isn't looking at the boat and trying to claw his way to the larger ship.

9. - Top - End - #219
    Troll in the Playground

Open Sea

The captain stands on the overturned rowboat and yells up to the ship's crew. "Ahoy! Can you toss me a rope!" Now that the zombie on deck is dealt with, the sailors throw down a rope.

The surgeon isn't much of a surgeon, really. He bandages the bite wound and says that if it gets infected, the sailor's arm will have to come off.

My Nexus characters

10. - Top - End - #220
    Halfling in the Playground

[Beach Party]

"Omigosh, this is great. I coulda been paying Dena for her dances this whole time?" Fettina looks like she might swoon. She gives Rein a squeeze and inclines her head towards Dena. "You guys wanna take my ride? I got the room." This was gonna be fun.

((One of you lads can post in MERC after this if we're continuing the scene there O: ))
    My avatar was done by Gullara. Thanks again!

"If you meet a spirit walking,
    Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

-Things Our Mothers Tell Us

Nexus Characters

11. - Top - End - #221
    Ogre in the Playground

Rein laughs a little. "If you're ok to drive. I know I can't." What with a lack of a license or basic knowledge beyond that one time he stole the Magcar in his daring escape from the MagCave. "Ooh, which one's your ride?" Reinholdt says, turning them and heading towards the lot.

"Not as much as you'd think. Glad you were willing though." Ilpholin says, tilting her head to the side and looking up at Anika as her breathing steadies. "It's so much nicer with someone of experience."
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast
    Reinholdt had already told the truth once in that post, and therefore was over his annual quota.

12. - Top - End - #222

[Beach Party - Watching the Stage]

Mia also waves her a goodbye. GloG might be the best for her, they do help everyone, right?
    Mia then turns back to the stage which, as farr as I see it, is empty. So watching an empty place for now.
    Grammer is my declared deadly enemy!

Let's PLay's in German Take a Look at Bravely Default.

Nexus Characters: LINK

13. - Top - End - #223

((I suppose I'll post in MERC then.))

"Tell me about it, there are a lot of scrubs out there that could learn a thing or two from you." Anika muses as she gently caresses Ilpholin. "But if you are looking for more companionship, I know some experienced persons that are unlikely to say no. There is plenty to go around. I’m guessing you haven’t had much time though since I’m pretty sure you could snap your fingers and have most of the beach eating out of your lap.”
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2018-09-29 at 06:00 AM.

14. - Top - End - #224
    Orc in the Playground

Open Sea

The black guy just about manages to clamber onto the boat as the captain's hoisted into the air and back to the ship.

The bitten guy doesn't need to worry about amputations. The wound's already infected with zombie, and- unless he's naturally immune, which... Might be possible- he's going to die in the next half hour and then come back as a zombie, out to spread the infection and eat his former friends.

If they search the zombie they killed, the knife in her torso is a stainless steel combat knife with kevlar scales on the grip. There's obviously no sheath, but it's a pretty good weapon- and probably the result of technology more advanced than anything on their ship. She's also got three plastic £5 notes in a pocket, a clear plastic ballpoint pen and a student ID card from the University of Royal Tunbridge Wells, in the name of 'Sonya Hartlake'.

15. - Top - End - #225
    Troll in the Playground

Open Sea

The sailors don't touch the dead student, at least not at first, not until the captain pulls the knife out of her chest and she doesn't react. He cleans the blade off and inspects it, then slides it into his boot, noting its superior craftsmanship to his own weapons. Meanwhile, the injured sailor is probably starting to experience the first symptoms of zombieism. He's down in the crew quarters, resting.

My Nexus characters

16. - Top - End - #226
    Orc in the Playground

Open Sea

Well, there's a few more traces of an apocalypse in this direction- zombies floating in the water, reaching up at the ship as it passes, oars, another capsized boat, totally abandoned, life rings, and so on- but they can be ignored or used as target practice; either works.

However, after about five more minutes- which may or may not be interesting, given the soon-to-be-zombie resting below decks- a dark shape looms on the horizon. It looks like an island, but not a big one, though the lookout may note what appears to be a structure upon it.

17. - Top - End - #227
    Troll in the Playground

Open Sea

"Land ho!" Somebody shouts. The sailors rush to look at the approaching island. The wounded sailor, on the other hand, is succumbing to the disease belowdecks, surrounded by the sleeping night watch.

My Nexus characters

18. - Top - End - #228
    Orc in the Playground

Open Sea

The island is really small. It could be undiscovered, it's so small. About a mile round, and I really mean round; the island is a perfect circle, with white sand beaches bare of large rocks or other hazards towards approaching it, and totally barren. Except for the tower and the statues. There's four dark basalt statues, though one isn't visible from the ship right now, each one at a cardinal point of the compass. The statues show humanoid figures wearing togas pointing out to sea with one hand whilst holding a weapon with the other. The north statue has the head of an albatross, and holds a rapier. The south statue has the head of a star-nosed mole and holds a sickle. The west statue has the head of a lamprey and holds a trident. The east statue has the head of a tiger and holds a hammer.

The round tower itself is four storeys tall, and made of the same dark basalt as the statues, looking like it was carved from a single great chunk, with no seams or cracks. The walls are polished smooth, marred only by the doors at the base- there's four, each a gaping hole leading into the tower proper and all located halfway between two seperate statues. The top of the tower is crenellated, but there's no flag pole or light. Nor any evidence to suggest how the tower was built. There's also three boats on the beach, but they're hard to spot- a wooden rowboat turned upside-down; the sand has formed a dune against its side, concealing it. A decaying canoe made of driftwood, bone and seal skin lies on its side near the tower's south-eastern entrance. The final boat is the biggest- an old longship, but it's old and decayed enough that all that remains is the prow and some skeletal-looking eroded struts that originally formed the frame onto which the hull was attached.

19. - Top - End - #229
    Troll in the Playground

Open Sea

The captain and three other sailors disembark in one of the ship's boats and head to the island. They go to check out the three wrecks first, starting with the longboat, then the rowboat, and lastly the canoe.

My Nexus characters

20. - Top - End - #230
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcaller View Post

"Tell me about it, there are a lot of scrubs out there that could learn a thing or two from you." Anika muses as she gently caresses Ilpholin. "But if you are looking for more companionship, I know some experienced persons that are unlikely to say no. There is plenty to go around. I’m guessing you haven’t had much time though since I’m pretty sure you could snap your fingers and have most of the beach eating out of your lap.”
    [Tropical Island]

"Likewise," Ilpholin murrs, skin tingling gently under Anika's ministrations. "I think you'd be surprised at how many people seem immune to my charms. But you're also not wrong. It's been very hectic since I got back. I had to move in, draw up a target list, make contacts, etc. etc. I'm admittedly disappointed in the number of slain demons, but I did help deal with a major demonic artifact thingie, so it's not like there hasn't been any progress. The job just eats up so much personal time." Since she thinks about it constantly it seems.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast

21. - Top - End - #231
    Orc in the Playground

Open Sea

The longboat is long abandoned. All that's visible of the wreck are ten ribs marching their way down the beach, getting more worn and eroded as they reach the sea. There might be something here, but it's not a guarantee and it'd require digging.

The rowboat's a better haul; pushing it over to look underneath it will reveal a naturally mummified corpse, skin dark and wrinkled with age, clad in fine dark blue clothes- a British naval officer, by the looks of him, with- surprisingly- a cavalry sabre, rather than a cutlass, and a double-barrelled flintlock pistol, though he hasn't been left with anything else of value- including gunpowder.

In the bottom of the canoe is a bone knife and a seal's bladder filled with fresh water.

22. - Top - End - #232
    Troll in the Playground

Open Sea

The captain picks up the pistol, saber, and knife. His weapons were all lost or damaged in the earlier fight with zombies, except his knife, but one can never have too many knives. One of the other sailors grabs the waterskin as well. The landing party then makes their way towards the large tower.

My Nexus characters

23. - Top - End - #233
    Orc in the Playground

Open Sea

The knife's made of bone, so... It's pretty much inferior to a metal one in nearly every way. Still pretty sharp, but more a curiosity than a weapon. Also, if they check, the naval officer was killed by a shot to the back.

Inside the tower, there's a staircase against one of the walls, hugging the tower's round wall as it ascends to the first floor. It also descends into a basement level. Everything's made of the same dark basalt as the statues and the outside of the tower. There's a corpse in the centre of the room, a human one. It's male, and starting to desiccate and mummify, wearing thick furs and armed with a cable-backed bow (unstrung, at the moment, to preserve its power), thirteen bone arrows and a bone-tipped harpoon. The Inuit appears to have been killed by a black steel dart lodged in his chest.

If anyone stands on a well-concealed pressure plate at the Inuit's feet, another steel dart will be launched from a mechanism hidden in the wall, aimed at the pressure plate.

24. - Top - End - #234
    Troll in the Playground

Open Sea

One of the sailors steps forth to examine the corpse, his foot landing squarely on the pressure plate. The dart hits him in the chest, his blood from the wound partially masked by his red shirt. The captain, seeing what happened, moves around the plate, crawling in order to avoid additional dart traps. The other two sailors follow suit.

My Nexus characters

25. - Top - End - #235
    Orc in the Playground

Open Sea- Tower Island

Well, since it doesn't say they're going up or down, I'm assuming they're just staying on the ground floor here, searching the body and looking for traps. There's no more pressure plates, or other traps on this floor.

The Inuit body, in addition to its weaponry, also has a comb made from walrus ivory, and a necklace of polar bear teeth.

26. - Top - End - #236
    Troll in the Playground

Tower Island
    The sailors leave the corpse alone and descend into the lower section of the tower, as cautiously as they can.

My Nexus characters

27. - Top - End - #237
    Orc in the Playground

Tower Island

It's dark down there. It's hard to see what, exactly, is downstairs without bringing a light source along. Nor is it easy to tell how far down the stairs reach, or if they end suddenly in a fifty-foot drop.

Fortunately, they don't end suddenly in a fifty-foot drop.

Spoiler: If they can see in the dark or have light with them
    Show
    It's a basalt chamber, like the rest of the tower, with more skeletons in it. A lot more. The eldest, at the bottom, are six skeletons wearing scraps of leather, resting on badly rusted axe-blades and splinters of old sodden wood, two wearing rusted iron helmets and one covered in a rusted-up chainmail hauberk, the bones encased in solid rust and another clasping a fine bronze sword-hilt with a blade of rust. Lying atop them, in places intermingled with the older bones, are seven skeletons wearing ragged remnants of naval uniforms, with sodden gunpowder horns, corroded pistols and rusty cutlasses- though nowhere near as rusty as the blades carried by the earlier bones.

Beneath the bones, something round, shiny and plentiful catches the light. It might be brass buttons from the sailor's clothes, or it could be coins. There's a lot of them, more than one would expect to find if they were buttons, at least...

Regardless of if they have light or not, there's a pressure plate at the bottom of the stairs. It's positioned so one would almost need to both know it's there, and have extraordinarily long legs to avoid it. Like the one upstairs, the crack around the edge of the plate blends into the dark basalt around it, making it very hard to spot- especially without a decent, solid light source.

28. - Top - End - #238
    Troll in the Playground

Tower Island

The sailors aren't foolish, they brought an oil lantern along. Soon, the enclosed space is awash in the scent of burning whale oil. The pressure plate would've been missed, if not for the keen eyes of the ship's helmsman, who points it out to the rest of the party. One by one, they leap over it to land on the other side and explore the room.

My Nexus characters

29. - Top - End - #239
    Orc in the Playground

Tower Island

The good news is, that's the only trap in this chamber. And there are coins underneath the skeletons- not many, about fifty of them- but they're gold, and more than that, they're old. They look Roman, with Latin inscriptions and bearing the face of Antoninus Pius on one side and a seated Athena on the other. They're in very good condition, too; like they have been barely used. There's also about twelve brass buttons, mostly inscribed with the name HMS Duke of Wellington, four powder-horns that are still good and contain dry powder (the rest have leaked, the powder ruined), and the ornate bronze hilt of a Viking longsword. There's also eight religious amulets- a silver crucifix worn by one of the British sailors, a simple brass cross also British, two bone amulets shaped like Thor's Hammer, a third of verdigris-coated copper, one of gold and two more made of tin.

The eagle-eyed helmsman may also note hidden underneath the steps are pipes, currently plugged.

30. - Top - End - #240
    Troll in the Playground

Tower Island

The sailors greedily gather up all the items, both the gold and artworks and the powderhorns. The helmsman does spot the pipes, but since his best guess is that they're part of the trap the plate is connected to, he doesn't mention it. The party jumps over the plate and goes back up the stairs, headed for the floor above the ones they've explored.

My Nexus characters