New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 31 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: (IC) Calm Before The Storm

Quote Originally Posted by Illven View Post
    So why would you only be able to eat meat?
    The doctor said, no more gold coins!

2. - Top - End - #92
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sporeegg View Post
    Zora blinks several times in quick succession out of distress, then shakes her head slightly, trying to look past the fact she's traveling with someone who apparently likes eating currency. "Well," she begins, with a hint of concern in her voice, "I could share some of my rations with you since it seems you didn't pack any, or if eating fresh meat is that important to you, you can go hunting during our trip. I could even join you."

3. - Top - End - #93
    Bugbear in the Playground

Markas Ordmund
    Lvl 1 Tempest Cleric//Giant Soul Sorcerer

Markas chuckles at Kriv's antics.

"Now why in the world would you want to eat gold coins Kriv? Sure you're a treasure but that saying 'you are what you eat' is more of a metaphor than something that actually happens"

"I'm also well provisioned for this journey. I usually have about 10 portions on me to accompany would be hunters and adventurers wishing to frequent the Ardeep Woods and I am more than happy to share with anyone who needs it"

Markas looked to the sun to check the time of day,

"We better start getting a move on. We'll start loosing light if we dawdle much longer and the trail the bandits left will start getting cold."
    "Trois choses ne peuvent pas être cachées ... le soleil, la lune, la vérité"

Currently Playing - The Calm Before the Storm - OOC | IC
    Former Games - The Forbidden Land of Sundara: BROKEN SUN- OOC | IC
    The Forbidden Land of Sundara: INSURGENCY- OOC III | IC III

4. - Top - End - #94
    Titan in the Playground

You're not at all familiar with the lore - or more accurately the myths - of chromatic dragons? They are supposed to love gold so much that they can subside on the precious metals. They're also known for only accepting female sexy virgins. And this dragon does accept these too. Non-virgins are fine too. Kriv winks at Rook. And so we have a topic to talk about when walking to Waterdeep. It is not going to be a long journey I assume but it would be dull if spent in silence, was't it? The worst thing that could happen to Kriv is silence. As you will probably realize the dragonborn even speaks in his sleep. When he doesn't snore that is.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Colossus in the Playground

Ugh I prefer non virgins, better if a girl's been around the block a few times and picked up a few tricks. Nina let out to the sky shamelessly looking up from the puppet she was working on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deme View Post
    One day, we must all have our characters butchered by romhacks face our ends.

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Titan in the Playground

So if there are some non-virgins with the bandits...should I introduce you to them or are we going to do some kind of courting event like a royal gala? Kriv blurts out. I don't even know what to wear...

7. - Top - End - #97

I didn't know you knew royal protocol. Nina pipes up clearly surprised.

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Lugglug Gutripper
    Lvl 1 Paladin / Celestial Warlock

Break their backs. Drink their blood. Crush their skulls. He steps back and quickly turns from a serious face to a happy laugh. You know, the usual!
    "There ya go," Lugglug replies cheerily, slapping Kriv on the back.

Lugglug makes a mental note of the Lathander relic for later, a hand in his pocket ruffling the strange note he found this morning. All in all these folks seemed like fine companions, Kriv especially. The bugbear appreciated his vigor, though he was a bit loud at times. He seems surprised by the courting conversation, raising an eyebrow in curiosity. "They court mates in Waterdeep too?? I'd have never guessed, always figured those city folk had weak stomachs... Do they use leg or arm bones for the drumming? I prefer legs, gives a deeper sound. What do they sacrifice? One of my clanmates chose an ox... it took so long to drain during the blooding ceremony the shaman fell asleep!" he emits a low, rumbling guffaw at the memory.
    Last edited by miinstrel; 2018-08-17 at 12:17 PM.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Titan in the Playground

Well I mean. Nina starts flipping a blonde strand of hair out of her face.

If you're really sure, you can with. But I'm not sure how well we'll be able to protect you, and are the herbs really worth your life? She offers with a warm smile, but a concerned look.
    He makes his way to the front gate, where most of the group is assembled, plus one extra member. "Grin, Nina's right. I hope you're up for this. There'll be meager accommodations on the road, but we're grateful for any help you can give. Are we ready?"
    "I understand the danger that's inherent in traveling into a bandit nest. I know what I'm getting into. Trust me, I fully intend not to pick any fights - if we could just sneak in and take everything back without them noticing until we're long gone, that makes taking them out the Waterdeep guards' problem, which is perfectly fine, they're quite capable."

Quote Originally Posted by Alias_Trench View Post
    "Yes, a journey into the unknown and unexpected. Hopefully we'll be able to recover everything with no bloodshed but we'll likely have to expect a fight. I-I'll be keeping an eye out for you Grin s-so don't you worry about that." Markas said looking mostly at the floor. When he looked up at Grin he couldn't help but make a slight stutter.
    Turning to face everyone Markas cleared his throat and took a second to regain his composure, "I *cough* ahem... managed to get a list of all the items that were stolen by the bandits of Darthag as well as descriptions for the more important heirlooms and relics that were within."
    Grin smiles at him. "Thanks, nice to know I've got somebody watching my back rather than trying to talk me out of it," he says with a small laugh.

When you all meet at the town's entrance Kriv joins you. He is heavily armed as well. He carries a halberd, his belt holds a flail and a dagger. He also sports a longbow and his quiver is equipped with a few javelins as well. He also wears a tabard of the trading post and he sports a rather unusual angry look in his face. Dad wouldn't give me money for a pig or a calf. What am I supposed to eat on the way? Twigs? Berries? You haven't seen Kriv this grumpy in a long long time. If these bandits do not at least share a meal with us, they should be careful that they don't end up BEING the meal. Let's go.
    But I thought dragons could eat anything? Nina protests.

So why would you only be able to eat meat?
    Quote Originally Posted by Earth Traveler View Post
    Zora blinks several times in quick succession out of distress, then shakes her head slightly, trying to look past the fact she's traveling with someone who apparently likes eating currency. "Well," she begins, with a hint of concern in her voice, "I could share some of my rations with you since it seems you didn't pack any, or if eating fresh meat is that important to you, you can go hunting during our trip. I could even join you."
    "I've got some rations packed up, but I'd prefer to get some fresher food along the way, if possible. I haven't done much hunting, but I'm at least competent with my bow. Not good exactly, but...well, yeah." He sorta nods towards the small bow on his back.

Quote Originally Posted by Alias_Trench View Post
    Markas chuckles at Kriv's antics.

"Now why in the world would you want to eat gold coins Kriv? Sure you're a treasure but that saying 'you are what you eat' is more of a metaphor than something that actually happens"

"I'm also well provisioned for this journey. I usually have about 10 portions on me to accompany would be hunters and adventurers wishing to frequent the Ardeep Woods and I am more than happy to share with anyone who needs it"

Markas looked to the sun to check the time of day,

"We better start getting a move on. We'll start loosing light if we dawdle much longer and the trail the bandits left will start getting cold."
    You're not at all familiar with the lore - or more accurately the myths - of chromatic dragons? They are supposed to love gold so much that they can subside on the precious metals. They're also known for only accepting female sexy virgins. And this dragon does accept these too. Non-virgins are fine too. Kriv winks at Rook. And so we have a topic to talk about when walking to Waterdeep. It is not going to be a long journey I assume but it would be dull if spent in silence, was't it? The worst thing that could happen to Kriv is silence. As you will probably realize the dragonborn even speaks in his sleep. When he doesn't snore that is.
    "I feel things could get boring on the road, and I'd certainly appreciate a good story."

Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: Logic's Deathloop Mafia and Cazero's Graduates Of Hope's Peak - Danganronpa Mafia

Quote Originally Posted by Xumtiil View Post
    An Abattoir Vecna, if you will.
    My Homebrew

10. - Top - End - #100
    Titan in the Playground

11. - Top - End - #101

Markas Ordmund
    Markas was soon lost by the conversation of virgins, non virgins, courting and oddly blood. Markas was more than glad when Grin managed to steer the conversation towards stories and Kriv, ever the entertainer, happily obliged.

"I don't actually know much about dragons at all, I mean I know a little from my history lessons but elvish history but dragon encounters are few and far between. I would be most interested to hear this story and since it looks like everyone is here you can regale us as we travel."

Markas started walking out the gates, following the path south west that lead to the High Road.
    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    I'm walking out the gates under the assumption that we know roughly where we need to go, but if that isn't the case I can remove the part about leaving and add in a part about going to go ask the members of the caravan for specific detail.

12. - Top - End - #102

Zora, somewhat perturbed by the direction the conversation had taken, follows Markas out the gates, desirous to get the adventure underway as soon as possible so she can be done with it soon as she can.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Titan in the Playground

The group makes their way to the High Road in good time, the next hour or so passing quickly as Kriv and Nina weave together tales of adventure and action. Occasionally members break off to hunt, yielding some small game to improve their meals in the coming days' travels. As you follow the path along the river, the forests gradually turn to hill-dotted plains, giving you a nice view every time you reach the latest crest. A gentle breeze stems a touch of the heat the afternoon has brought with it, and large fluffy clouds provide frequent shade from the sun's harsh rays. As the river turns away and a new hill crest is reached, the High Road comes into view in the distance; knowing that it's around this intersection where the robbery was committed, the party regroups before continuing their approach. As the breeze shifts southward, you feel the hairs on the back of your neck raise a bit - something's wrong, but you're not sure what, more of a gut feeling than anything.

What do you do?

Spoiler: Map Stuff
    Show
    Map

The current "Party" block is an approximation of current position. LMK how you wanna approach things, and give me an idea of approximate formation.
    Last edited by AvatarVecna; 2018-08-23 at 07:03 PM.

Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: Logic's Deathloop Mafia and Cazero's Graduates Of Hope's Peak - Danganronpa Mafia

My Homebrew

14. - Top - End - #104

Planetar

Rook Shekten - Recently Sober, Vanguard Scout

Rook halts and raises his left fist by his head to signal the others to do the same. He slowly removes the bow from his shoulder and nocks an arrow to the string. He stills himself and listens to the wind sweeping his eyes around looking for a threat.

Show
    Perception - (1d20+5)[13]
    "How could a man go through life with so little? Nothing of permanence, nothing built up to leave behind him. Nothing to testify to his existence at all. The kind of man who isn't focused on his own existence, I guess. The kind of man who cares more about others than he does himself..."--Harry Dresden, from Ghost Story

Nosce te ipsum

15. - Top - End - #105
    Titan in the Playground

Kriv removes the tabard of Darthag's trade company. He then climbs the closest strong tree to improve his point of view. Other than that, Kriv loudly announces that he is sure bandits would never attack such a charming and well-built merchant such as him. After sufficiently talking about his ability to persuade people, Kriv starts a discussion with his group on how they want to spend the dragon's hoard they found.

My dear friend Adalon* gave us a tiny part of her hoard because we negotiated the trade routes away from her lair. She is really a generous creature but then again, silver dragons are always known to be noble and altruistic. How are you going to spend your hundred unicorns**? Kriv says joyfully. It was very wise of her to see behind my scale color and accept me as what I am.

*Adalon is the silver dragon out of Kriv's story. Incidentally it is the silver dragon featured in Baldur's Gate 2's Chapter 4 where it wasn't a trade route but her lair was on the way to the surface and she was the only thing standing between the drow and a surface invasion.
    **Unicorn is the name of a platinum coin; 100 unicorns is 1000 gold.

16. - Top - End - #106

Quote Originally Posted by AvatarVecna View Post
    The group makes their way to the High Road in good time, the next hour or so passing quickly as Kriv and Nina weave together tales of adventure and action. Occasionally members break off to hunt, yielding some small game to improve their meals in the coming days' travels. As you follow the path along the river, the forests gradually turn to hill-dotted plains, giving you a nice view every time you reach the latest crest. A gentle breeze stems a touch of the heat the afternoon has brought with it, and large fluffy clouds provide frequent shade from the sun's harsh rays. As the river turns away and a new hill crest is reached, the High Road comes into view in the distance; knowing that it's around this intersection where the robbery was committed, the party regroups before continuing their approach. As the breeze shifts southward, you feel the hairs on the back of your neck raise a bit - something's wrong, but you're not sure what, more of a gut feeling than anything.

What do you do?

Spoiler: Map Stuff
    Show
    Map

The current "Party" block is an approximation of current position. LMK how you wanna approach things, and give me an idea of approximate formation.
    Markas Ordmund

Markas felt the change in the wind and a strange feeling of unease. Noticing Rook's signal to halt Markas stopped walking, said a small prayer under his breath, and turned around to face the way they had come from scanning the horizon with his eyes and straining his ears against the breeze. He also moved to take a slight defensive position near Grin, making good on what he said earlier about watching his back.

Show

Cast Guidance
    Perception for anything out of the ordinary (1d20+5)[23] + Guidance (1d4)[1]
    Last edited by Alias_Trench; 2018-08-21 at 11:31 AM.

17. - Top - End - #107

That's when Markas saw a little blonde shape at the corner of his vision.

Holding a.... small puppet of him.

You can do this, big me! The puppet cheers. Believe! Believe in your eyes as I believe in you! Believe! As Nina gave Markas a thumbs up.

Spoiler
    Show

Giving bardic inspiration to Markas.

Perception (1d20+3)[21]

18. - Top - End - #108

Rook had gone ahead, but Zora sticks with the group, staying in front of the spellcasters while keeping an eye out for dangers like wild animals or bandits. The group approaches the intersection near where the bandit attack took place and, at Rook's signal following a shift in the wind, Zora stops. Her hair stands up a little as the wind blows by.

I must be jittery from not being in a fight for so long, Zora thinks to herself. She tries to brush the feeling off the next moment, reasoning, Why should there be a fight? It's not like bandits can control the wind. That notwithstanding, she looks a bit closer for danger out across the plains... especially since Kriv's shouting would likely draw any nearby bandits like moths to a light.

Show

(Perception) (1d20+1)[18]

19. - Top - End - #109
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Lugglug Gutripper

"I'd go straight for ya, Kriv. People follow strength. Take out the meanest lookin' one first and the others run and hide or do whatever ya want," he suggests.

"100 unicorns? Figure I'd buy some equipment in the city, pay someone to make my beer, and take a nap. Official Taste Tester would be my titl---" Lugglug pauses at the signal and looks about across the hills and trees, seeing nothing but nature. Moments of nothing pass and the adrenaline fades from his blood... he was strangely sad at the feeling. Another moment... and another. "You see somethin' or just wanted a break?" the bugbear asks of Rook.

If no immediate threats are indicated he moves to the front of the group and continues down the road, looking a few feet off either side for signs of dragging, wagons running off the road, etc.

Show
    Perception: (1d20+2)[19]
    (or +3 if Investigation)

20. - Top - End - #110

That's when Markas saw a little blonde shape at the corner of his vision.

Holding a.... small puppet of him.

You can do this, big me! The puppet cheers. Believe! Believe in your eyes as I believe in you! Believe! As Nina gave Markas a thumbs up.

Spoiler
    Show

Giving bardic inspiration to Markas.

Perception [roll0]
    Markas Ordmund

Markas blinked as the miniature puppet facsimile of him entered his field of view

"When did you make...?" Markas said initially confused, but the antic brought a smile to his face and he gave a thumbs up back to Nina before returning his attention to what he was seeing and hearing.

Show

With my previous roll of 23 +1 from Guidance and +5 from bardic inspiration my new total is 29 Perception check.

21. - Top - End - #111

Hey. Nina starts before coughing and clearing her throats.

I see something in that grass. She starts, switching puppets from the Markas one to Castius Maximus.

Can't tell if it's humanoid or not though.

22. - Top - End - #112

Zora's gut clenches as she spies several movements in the grass that are most certainly not being caused the wind. Well, speak of the Devils... she thinks to herself as she draws her sword as the movements get closer to the group.

Hey. Nina starts before coughing and clearing her throats.

I see something in that grass. She starts, switching puppets from the Markas one to Castius Maximus.

Can't tell if it's humanoid or not though.
    Zora helpfully informs Lugglugg, Nina, and Markas(*) in an urgent whisper, "I see several 'somethings' in the grass, so, well, prepare yourselves accordingly." Zora turns to face the "somethings" in preparation for an oncoming assault.

(*)
    Show

I just said those three because I assume Rook and Kriv are scouting ahead and up a tree respectively, but if either of them are still in the group, Zora obviously tells them too.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Lugglug Gutripper

Lugglug gives a curt nod of acknowledgement to the warning. He sees it too but continues on as though they were still a ways off from their destination. When he arrives roughly perpendicular to where the first of the lumps hides he suddenly whirls around, shifting his grip toward the end of his glaive as the roundhouse motion sends it slicing through the base of the grass near the first lump, the green and yellow blades drifting slowly to the ground.

As he withdraws the blade he shouts at whatever's there "Out now, hands up or the next one clips your throat!"

Show
    Attack (disadv because cant quite see it?): (1d20+7)[18] / (1d20+7)[27]
    Dmg: (1d10+5)[12]

Intimidation? (1d20+5)[8]

24. - Top - End - #114
    Titan in the Playground

Come on, there's nothing there. Stop threatening the winds. Kriv says as he advances further down the road. At any sign of being surrounded by 3 or more people he will cast Thunderwave and likely start the combat.

25. - Top - End - #115

Markas Ordmund

Nina and Zora's statements only confirmed what Markas had seen but it seemed that Markas' elven eyes had spotted a bit more detail. He began relaying what he saw in real time with a little bit of his inner monologue as he tried to process what he was seeing.
    "I see 10 patches of parted grass, 7 moving, 3 unmoving. The three unmoving ones are humanoid sized but they could be lying in wait or possibly even dead. From this distance it's too hard to tell. The seven moving ones are smaller and simply wandering. Given the speed at which they are moving and the amount of grass they're displacing they're unlikely to be humanoids crawling around down there. Probably some kind of animal predator, but which... they don't seem wide enough to be the feline predators that stalk the plains. The only other predators that frequent this area are... Seladrine help me..."

It was at this point as the wind blew as Markas said a little prayer, he noticed something. He could very clearly smell Lugglug. During their travel thus far Markas had surreptitiously been walking down wind of the man. This meant that he had placed himself in front of the man as they were climbing to the top of this crest but with the sudden shift in wind direction to Northerly, he was now downwind. Looking out over the tall grass Markas as his thought process went on Markas also noticed a subtle change in the movements of the patches. They had stopped momentarily and then that prickly sensation on the back of Markas' neck picked up, as if they were being watched, except he now knew they were being watched and those watchers were

"...wolves."

Lugglug had begun to antagonise them but as he stepped forward Markas was painfully aware that he and his scent were now very clearly over the crest and blowing straight down to the presumed wolves. Kriv had seemingly not noticed and was continuing to walk down the hill

"Lugglug! Kriv! Wait come back! There's a pack of wolves down there!"
    Last edited by Alias_Trench; 2018-08-23 at 08:21 PM.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Titan in the Playground

Even as Rook hears Markas' warning from behind him, he notices the shapes in the grass reacting to their presence - and a couple approaching at top speed. What does Rook do?

My Homebrew

27. - Top - End - #117

Planetar

Rook Shekten - Recently Sober, Prickly Wolf Chow

When Markas shouts his warning, Rook finally spies the disturbances in the grass up ahead. They were moving fast! There would be little time think before the wolves were on top of him and the others. He releases the tension on his bow and stows it once again across his back. "Spread out! Off the road! Don't give them an easy target!", he hisses. Rook takes several defensive steps back toward the rest of the party and slips into the grass. He crouches down and somberly whispers, "I will not be hunted. Not today." while his left hand unsheathes the shortsword at his side. With his right Rook grabs a scoop of dirt and rubs it on the hilt of his sword. He then stands up and prepares to fend off any oncoming attacks.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Stow shortbow.
    Move to BL19
    Attempt to hide in the grass Stealth - (1d20+6)[7]
    Wait in preparation for bloodshed...
    Last edited by Orsik Vondal; 2018-08-25 at 05:22 PM.
    "How could a man go through life with so little? Nothing of permanence, nothing built up to leave behind him. Nothing to testify to his existence at all. The kind of man who isn't focused on his own existence, I guess. The kind of man who cares more about others than he does himself..."--Harry Dresden, from Ghost Story

Nosce te ipsum

28. - Top - End - #118
    Titan in the Playground

Rook is doing his best stop judging him. Lugglug what are you doing?

My Homebrew

29. - Top - End - #119
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Lugglug Gutripper

Pack hunters. He appreciated that. Wolves weren't uncommon in the hills but no less scary when hungry. As people start to spread out, Lugglug takes up a defensive stance a few feet in front of Nina, Zora, and Grin (or as many of them as he can, preferring the two ladies) and waits for the beasts to arrive, raising his glaive over his head and stomping his feet as he shouts a wordless battlecry at them, daring them to enter the fray.

Show
    Going to attempt to intimidate the wolves into backing down using threatening "enlarging" body language. (1d20+5)[22]
    +4 instead if Animal Handling more appropriate.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Titan in the Playground

The remaining wolves approach, although much more wearily than the first two. More problematically, three figures climb to their feet in the grass beyond the intersection, taking in the scene. They approach slowly and loose a few arrows at Rook, but the distance keep them from really having much chance of hitting.

Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    Wolves 1-5 approach, single move+dodge instead of dashing.

Scouts move up and each send a couple arrows at Rook. RNGesus don't fail me now!

Attack 1 (disadvantage): (1d20+4)[5] or (1d20+4)[13]
    Damage 1: (1d8+2)[10] (+(1d8)[3] if crit)

Attack 2 (disadvantage): (1d20+4)[21] or (1d20+4)[8]
    Damage 2: (1d8+2)[8] (+(1d8)[8] if crit)

Attack 3 (disadvantage): (1d20+4)[21] or (1d20+4)[17]
    Damage 3: (1d8+2)[4] (+(1d8)[7] if crit)

Attack 4 (disadvantage): (1d20+4)[18] or (1d20+4)[6]
    Damage 4: (1d8+2)[7] (+(1d8)[2] if crit)

Attack 5 (disadvantage): (1d20+4)[19] or (1d20+4)[22]
    Damage 5: (1d8+2)[5] (+(1d8)[1] if crit)

Attack 6 (disadvantage): (1d20+4)[5] or (1d20+4)[22]
    Damage 6: (1d8+2)[5] (+(1d8)[2] if crit)

Kriv, you're up!

My Homebrew