New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 31 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: (IC) Calm Before The Storm

Just before the bandits awake, Kriv makes sure his nostrils face his first interrogation 'partner'. When the first one tries to get his faculty together, the dragon thunders. Do not even THINK about struggling or fleeing. We have survived a hail of arrows and broke your precious pet's necks. You almost killed two of my dear friends. So do not even THINK I would give you the peace of a quick death and tell us if you got any loot from a caravan that came through a few weeks ago. Kriv stands behind the man, twisting his arm in an uncomfortable angle, smacking his lips and whispering almost silent Hmm, juicy spine, lots of marrow. while touching his spine and stroking it downwards.

Spoiler
    Show
    Intimidate: (1d20+5)[11]
    Athletics for a proper iron grip that hurts and is safe enough: [roll]1d20+[/roll]

2. - Top - End - #212
    Titan in the Playground

Kriv grips the guy again, this time, really athletically! (1d20+7)[13] Also he punches him (1dmg!) if the intimidation doesnt work properly.

3. - Top - End - #213
    Halfling in the Playground

While Kriv attempts to work over one of the archers, Zora decides to try her luck on the other one. As he wakes up, Zora puts her sword up on his throat and, after thinking of what to say to him, whispers menacingly, "It's down to you and your friend over there and you're both tied up and disarmed. Now, tell us who you are, who you're with, and why you attacked us, or I'll slice your neck open."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Intimidate: [roll0]

4. - Top - End - #214
    Bugbear in the Playground

"40. Of just the sheep?" Markas looked at the bag they were going into and tried to fathom just how many puppets could be lurking in there.
    As Kriv and Zora interrogated their prisoners Markas kept his ears on their responses and his eyes to the horizon where their compatriot had made their escape. He said a little prayer under his breath, they were after all still in the same position they were in during combat. A good archer could pick them off from a distance and Markas had no more power left to throw up cover like he had before.
    Show
    I'll roll checks in the OOC when requested, casting guidance as part of the checks
    Last edited by Alias_Trench; 2018-09-25 at 02:41 AM.
    "Trois choses ne peuvent pas être cachées ... le soleil, la lune, la vérité"

Currently Playing - The Calm Before the Storm - OOC | IC
    Former Games - The Forbidden Land of Sundara: BROKEN SUN- OOC | IC
    The Forbidden Land of Sundara: INSURGENCY- OOC III | IC III

5. - Top - End - #215

Planetar

Rook Shekten - Recently Sober, Partially Shaken, Former City Guardsman

Rook shook his head as they made their way back to Nightstone to clear it. Why didn't I remember the shackles?! I'm just out of practice I guess. He gives a small shiver and shakes his head again. "Once we get back to Nightstone, the city guard will question them formally. While we're out here, though, we can get some answers to our questions without needing to follow any rules of interrogation. Except we'll want them to be able to walk back on their own, so don't maim them, Kriv. If you can't help yourself, make sure to kill him."

Rook keeps an eye and ear out for approaching enemies as they move down the road.

Show
    Intimidate - (1d20+2)[19]
    Perception - (1d20+5)[16]
    "How could a man go through life with so little? Nothing of permanence, nothing built up to leave behind him. Nothing to testify to his existence at all. The kind of man who isn't focused on his own existence, I guess. The kind of man who cares more about others than he does himself..."--Harry Dresden, from Ghost Story

Nosce te ipsum

6. - Top - End - #216
    Colossus in the Playground

And don't think about lying, cause General Saladhead will know! Nina said waving the general in their faces.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deme View Post
    One day, we must all have our characters butchered by romhacks face our ends.

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

7. - Top - End - #217

Back when Markas was mending ropes together and checking the bandits for weapons.

Markas looked over the bows of the two bandits who were now in their custody, checking to see if they had markers of Elvish design as he still had no leads on the whereabouts of his mother's bow. Bandits, as were their wont, also took from those they encountered and it wasn't a far stretch of the imagination that these bandits, though possibly not these specific ones, could have been responsible. Staring at the bows, the most recent skirmish they had was on Markas' mind. His reticence to use a bow himself had almost cost him his life, though thanks to Kriv's intervention, he was saved. He looked over at the dragonborn standing over a bandit, he would have to thank him properly. Markas picked one of the bows up and without an arrow knocked Markas tentatively pulled the bow to it's full draw, wary for any tell tale signs that the bowstring would not make it. Memories of constantly breaking his father's bowstring fluttered in the back of his mind. This was all to familiar and somewhat unpleasant. Though he was hardly a good shot, Markas thought it would be reasonable for him to carry a ranged weapon as such so that if the bandits did come back, he would be of some use. There were still arrows stuck in his person. The healing magic had sealed the wounds around the shafts though the crawling had not done much to ameliorate the pain and they twinged with pain with every movement he made, a reminder of his shortcomings. Markas slowly released the tension on the bow and sighed, his eyes coming into contact with Rook's...

8. - Top - End - #218

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Alias_Trench View Post
    Back when Markas was mending ropes together and checking the bandits for weapons.

Markas looked over the bows of the two bandits who were now in their custody, checking to see if they had markers of Elvish design as he still had no leads on the whereabouts of his mother's bow. Bandits, as were their wont, also took from those they encountered and it wasn't a far stretch of the imagination that these bandits, though possibly not these specific ones, could have been responsible. Staring at the bows, the most recent skirmish they had was on Markas' mind. His reticence to use a bow himself had almost cost him his life, though thanks to Kriv's intervention, he was saved. He looked over at the dragonborn standing over a bandit, he would have to thank him properly. Markas picked one of the bows up and without an arrow knocked Markas tentatively pulled the bow to it's full draw, wary for any tell tale signs that the bowstring would not make it. Memories of constantly breaking his father's bowstring fluttered in the back of his mind. This was all to familiar and somewhat unpleasant. Though he was hardly a good shot, Markas thought it would be reasonable for him to carry a ranged weapon as such so that if the bandits did come back, he would be of some use. There were still arrows stuck in his person. The healing magic had sealed the wounds around the shafts though the crawling had not done much to ameliorate the pain and they twinged with pain with every movement he made, a reminder of his shortcomings. Markas slowly released the tension on the bow and sighed, his eyes coming into contact with Rook's...
    Rook Shekten - Recently Sober, Recently Unconscious, Former City Guardsman

The fight had been a fairly standard experience until Markas went down. Rook wasn't sure how he felt about that. At some point he would need to confront the half-elf and ask his questions, but now was not the time. They needed to get clear of the area before more bandits arrived.

When he sees Markas pick up a longbow, he no longer finds himself on the road to Waterdeep, but running up the stairs of Nightstone Keep.

Spoiler: Only for filler. Not for meta-gaming. :)
    Show
    He bursts through the door to the roof and looks out across the city marking the shadowed bands of elves moving amongst the buildings. A moment later Drezlin joins him on the roof breathing heavily. "Three bands of elves coming in from the northwest! If we recall the guard to the drawbridge, we may be able to bottleneck them!" Rook turns to confer with Drezlin, but is immediately forced to the ground by a shove from his Lord. He hears the soft thud of two arrows into flesh, and his friend's body falls on top of him. Drezlin shudders as if trying to rise. Rook pushes himself out from under Drezlin. "Why...?" he wheezes, his eyes pleading with Rook. Then his head falls to the stone, and he lays still.

Rook snaps back to reality to find Markas looking at him. He abruptly turns and addresses the group. "Let's get out of here. If we stay, more bandits will show up..."
    "How could a man go through life with so little? Nothing of permanence, nothing built up to leave behind him. Nothing to testify to his existence at all. The kind of man who isn't focused on his own existence, I guess. The kind of man who cares more about others than he does himself..."--Harry Dresden, from Ghost Story

Nosce te ipsum

9. - Top - End - #219
    Titan in the Playground

Markas peeked up from the grass he had been crawling through after he heard Kriv yelling. Seeing the last bandit to the south of him, making a hasty retreat Markas stood up from his spot. 3 arrows still piercing his body and in quite a bit of pain, Markas just let's him run.

No point chasing him. There will be a trail to follow no doubt if we decide to track him.
    Markas began making his way down towards where two apparently sleeping bandits were. He recoiled his whip and put it back on his belt before taking the coil of rope from his pack and walking towards Zora.

"I have some rope, we can tie them up with it. Mind cutting some of this for me Zora?" markas said gesturing to the sleeping bandits.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sporeegg View Post
    Kriv jumps back up with a kip-up, after which he visibly winces because muscles torn by arrows are not made to be acrobatic. Luckily for him, you can't see blood as well on crimson red scales. Nina, you have to show me some of your tricks. And I promise, we will heed your advi....I mean we will follow General Saladhead's commands. Kriv grins again.

The big lizardman walks a bit off the road and says: We have to take a break. I need to bandage this thing so that it stops bleeding or dad will get a heart attack. Grin, you are a miracle worker. Don't you need a break, too?
    Grin shakes his head. "I didn't get touched, although I wish I'd been more help in taking them down. Still, I can make up for it now," he replies, before getting out some bandages and helping Kriv deal with his 'minor' injuries.

Quote Originally Posted by Orsik Vondal View Post

After the two bandits are tied up Rook directs Lugglug and Kriv to grab the unconscious men. When the men begin to wake, Rook rechecks each of their gags. No sense allowing them to give away their position to other bandits. "Let's get out of here. If we stay, more bandits will show up once that one," he hooks a thumb in the direction of the third archer, "finds his friends. And I know you'll want to take the wolf meat, Kriv, but we have to get moving. I want the pelts myself, but we can't spare the time. I agree with Nina. We don't want to be here longer than necessary."

Rook tests the weight of one of the wolf corpses and determines it would slow him too much to carry back home. They needed to be gone from this place as soon as possible. "Let's get moving. Back to Nightstone. We'll question them there."
    Markas went to each of the Bandits and inspected the knots. They seemed strong enough but Markas added just that little bit of extra security so they would physically he unable to untie themselves. Taking the ends of the ropes that hung out of the knots, Markas placed them with ends facing into each other and cast a mending spell, fusing the two broken ends together as if a contiguous piece of rope. He repeated this on each loose end of the bandits restraints.
    Spoiler: actions
    Show
    Cast mending

When he was finished Markas dusted his hands of the stray rope fibres and said "There, they won't be getting themselves out of this unless they cut themselves out, oh which reminds me..."
    Markas said a little prayer to the Seladrine to guide his eyes and then began taking weapons off their persons and taking note of any personal effects on them.
    Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Cast guidance
    Investigation check to search the body, special attention paid to weapons
    [roll0]+[roll1]

"Here Nina, I found some of your sheep puppets. One... Two... Three... Four... why are you yawning?"

Rook for his credit, seemed to be taking charge of the situation. Markas smiled a little. It seemed like he was getting back into the swing of things. As he was already standing over the bandits Markas interjected with an idea he thought might work out better.
    "Actually Mr. Shekten, Kriv, I believe I would be better for taking one of the prisoners, rather than Kriv. I'm only useful for spotting things and melee combat it would seem. Kriv on the other hand has demonstrated he's quite adept with a bow and with both hands available he'd be in a better position to protect us than if he were carrying one of them. I can still cast if I need to even carrying a human. Kriv does tjat sit ok with you?"

Markas also got Grin's attention during the time before they set out,
    "hey so uhh, you did pretty great with that bow, speaking of which I uhh... Well I got hit by a bunch of arrows and well I was kind of crawling around on them and well... they're kinda still stuck there, would you mind lending me a hand getting them out?"
    Grin nods, smiling at him. "Sure, not a problem," he replies, inspecting a couple wounds. "Hmm...looks like this one got all the way through, will be much easier to push it the rest of the way." He's silent a moment, before he says "Uh...so it would've helped, but...is there a reason you don't use bows? I've heard elves tend to be really good with them, but from what you said..." he trails off, looking uncomfortable.

Just before the bandits awake, Kriv makes sure his nostrils face his first interrogation 'partner'. When the first one tries to get his faculty together, the dragon thunders. Do not even THINK about struggling or fleeing. We have survived a hail of arrows and broke your precious pet's necks. You almost killed two of my dear friends. So do not even THINK I would give you the peace of a quick death and tell us if you got any loot from a caravan that came through a few weeks ago. Kriv stands behind the man, twisting his arm in an uncomfortable angle, smacking his lips and whispering almost silent Hmm, juicy spine, lots of marrow. while touching his spine and stroking it downwards.

Spoiler
    Show
    Athletics for a proper iron grip that hurts and is safe enough: [roll]1d20+[/roll]
    Kriv grips the guy again, this time, really athletically! [roll0] Also he punches him (1dmg!) if the intimidation doesnt work properly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Earth Traveler View Post
    While Kriv attempts to work over one of the archers, Zora decides to try her luck on the other one. As he wakes up, Zora puts her sword up on his throat and, after thinking of what to say to him, whispers menacingly, "It's down to you and your friend over there and you're both tied up and disarmed. Now, tell us who you are, who you're with, and why you attacked us, or I'll slice your neck open."

Show

Rook Shekten - Recently Sober, Partially Shaken, Former City Guardsman

Rook shook his head as they made their way back to Nightstone to clear it. Why didn't I remember the shackles?! I'm just out of practice I guess. He gives a small shiver and shakes his head again. "Once we get back to Nightstone, the city guard will question them formally. While we're out here, though, we can get some answers to our questions without needing to follow any rules of interrogation. Except we'll want them to be able to walk back on their own, so don't maim them, Kriv. If you can't help yourself, make sure to kill him."

Rook keeps an eye and ear out for approaching enemies as they move down the road.

Show
    [roll0]
    [roll1]
    Quote Originally Posted by Illven View Post
    And don't think about lying, cause General Saladhead will know! Nina said waving the general in their faces.

The fight had been a fairly standard experience until Markas went down. Rook wasn't sure how he felt about that. At some point he would need to confront the half-elf and ask his questions, but now was not the time. They needed to get clear of the area before more bandits arrived.

When he sees Markas pick up a longbow, he no longer finds himself on the road to Waterdeep, but running up the stairs of Nightstone Keep.

Rook snaps back to reality to find Markas looking at him. He abruptly turns and addresses the group. "Let's get out of here. If we stay, more bandits will show up..."
    The bandits wake up, both of the bleary and disfocused, before they start realizing how restrained and disarmed they are. As the adventurers address them, their expressions grow harder as they hear more and more. "Sloppy start to an interrogation. Never argue in front of your captives, and start off with the smaller threats so you've got something to build to," the older one says. He glances at the rest of the group. "Don't suppose you've got somebody more experienced that Mister Hot Wind here?"

Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: Logic's Deathloop Mafia and Book Wombat's A Small Wager - A Practical Guide To Evil

Quote Originally Posted by Xumtiil View Post
    An Abattoir Vecna, if you will.
    My Homebrew

10. - Top - End - #220

Nina turns to the younger bandit with the black heart over his head.

Stifling the older gentlemen with General Saladhead, she smiles warmly and turns on her doe eyes.

C'mon. You can tell us. She mewls cutely. We just wanna know if you got any of the loot the caravan was bringing to the town, and why you attacked us. I'm sure you didn't want to, but they didn't give you any choice. She let out. But a smart guy like you, probably figured out why they wanted us attacked specifically. She finishes with a wink.

Spoiler
    Show

Deception (1d20+6)[9]
    Performance (1d20+8)[13]
    Persuasion (1d20+8)[17]

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

11. - Top - End - #221
    Titan in the Playground

Nina turns to the younger bandit with the black heart over his head.

Stifling the older gentlemen with General Saladhead, she smiles warmly and turns on her doe eyes.

C'mon. You can tell us. She mewls cutely. We just wanna know if you got any of the loot the caravan was bringing to the town, and why you attacked us. I'm sure you didn't want to, but they didn't give you any choice. She let out. But a smart guy like you, probably figured out why they wanted us attacked specifically. She finishes with a wink.

Spoiler
    Show

Deception [roll0]
    Performance [roll1]
    Persuasion [roll2]
    "Specifically? You were coming up the road, we were gonna rob you 'til you we saw you were armored and armed to the teeth." The older man seems weirded out by the puppet.

Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: Logic's Deathloop Mafia and Book Wombat's A Small Wager - A Practical Guide To Evil

My Homebrew

12. - Top - End - #222
    Titan in the Playground

Shouldn't have said that. Kriv growls. He then roars, eyes glaring daggers at the bandits. Who do you work for? Or do I have to get REALLY mad?

Spoiler
    Show
    Dragon Fear on both: DC 13 wis save or they are frightened
    Athletics to hold them down in my reach (1d20+7)[24]

13. - Top - End - #223

Quote Originally Posted by AvatarVecna View Post
    Grin nods, smiling at him. "Sure, not a problem," he replies, inspecting a couple wounds. "Hmm...looks like this one got all the way through, will be much easier to push it the rest of the way." He's silent a moment, before he says "Uh...so it would've helped, but...is there a reason you don't use bows? I've heard elves tend to be really good with them, but from what you said..." he trails off, looking uncomfortable.
    "Uhhh... Markas was a little unsure of how to proceed with this question. He didn't want to lose face but he also didn't want to lie to Grin either. Markas figured this was a chance for Grin to get to know him better so he swallowed his pride and quietly told him why
    Most elves are good at using bows, its true. But I am not most elves, I'm not even mostly elf hahaha. Markas laughed nervously. the truth is I'm just really clumsy and I end up with either broken bowstrings or a waste of arrows. My father, who is human like you, tried to teach me how to hunt when he was still alive.... Markas paused for a short while before continuing.
    "Broke nearly every one of his bowstrings. I remember that we ate bean soup that week..." Markas smiled wistfully.
    "Later after both my parents... passed away, the elves who raised me were putting me through my paces and tried to get me be an archer but the same things ended up happening. But they were more persistent I suppose, probably because we wouldn't starve if I kept failing hahah. They kept at it until they figured out i was magically inclined and let me focus on that instead. Elves have a lot of patience, long life and everything but even they have limits. Tye end result is that I know how to string a bow, knock an arrow and let it fly but I wouldn't count on my skill if someone's life was at stake. Plus it helped the town get used to me after the attack. I feel like people would get frightened if they saw me with a bow in my hands." Markas looked at Grin to see how he was receiving his explanation. After keeping eye contact with him for a bit too long, Markas blushed and changed the topic to the arrow that was still there.
    "Right, let's get this over with then. I'll push it through, snap the shaft and apply pressure on yhe entry wound, I'll leave the exit wound to you." he said in a bit of a rush.

Markas said a small prayer and gripped the arrow shaft with his right hand several inches away from the entry wound. A wad of gauze was also clenched in his left hand, ready for the final step of this procedure. Nodding at Grin, Markas, grit his teeth and drove the arrow deeper with a swift motion until he felt it break the skin on his on the other side. A low guttoral growl emanated from Markas' throat as he went, clenching his jaw tight through the pain. He kept pushing until he was sure Grin would have enough arrow to actually remove the offending projectile before snapping the base of the arrow off with a swift jerk, another grunt and applying pressure to the wound.

Spoiler: rolls
    Show
    cast guidance. Medicine check to do this without doing too much more damage?
    (1d20+5)[11] + (1d4)[2]

Spoiler: Only for filler. Not for meta-gaming. :)
    Show
    He bursts through the door to the roof and looks out across the city marking the shadowed bands of elves moving amongst the buildings. A moment later Drezlin joins him on the roof breathing heavily. "Three bands of elves coming in from the northwest! If we recall the guard to the drawbridge, we may be able to bottleneck them!" Rook turns to confer with Drezlin, but is immediately forced to the ground by a shove from his Lord. He hears the soft thud of two arrows into flesh, and his friend's body falls on top of him. Drezlin shudders as if trying to rise. Rook pushes himself out from under Drezlin. "Why...?" he wheezes, his eyes pleading with Rook. Then his head falls to the stone, and he lays still.

Markas saw Rook stare and then abruptly turn around and address everyone. Markas guessed he was startled to see Markas standing there with a bow. Looking at it again he tightened his grip on it before walking up to Rook and saying
    "Here, this one will give you better range than your short bow." while handing the bow to Rook.

Quote Originally Posted by AvatarVecna View Post
    The bandits wake up, both of the bleary and disfocused, before they start realizing how restrained and disarmed they are. As the adventurers address them, their expressions grow harder as they hear more and more. "Sloppy start to an interrogation. Never argue in front of your captives, and start off with the smaller threats so you've got something to build to," the older one says. He glances at the rest of the group. "Don't suppose you've got somebody more experienced that Mister Hot Wind here?"
    Shouldn't have said that. Kriv growls. He then roars, eyes glaring daggers at the bandits. Who do you work for? Or do I have to get REALLY mad?

Spoiler
    Show
    Athletics to hold them down in my reach (1d20+5)[11]
    Kriv roared loudly, it was an impressive sound. Markas looked at the two to see if there was any discernible change in their demeanour. Nina was there with him and managed to make the older one talk at least. Markas didn't see the need to intervene just yet, but he was ready to should he need to.
    Show
    insight check on the Bandits(1d20+5)[23]

14. - Top - End - #224
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Athletics to hold them down in my reach (1d20+7)[20]
    The older one grimaces and squirms in Kriv's grip, body language doing more than enough to broadcast how frightening he found the scaly fellow. The younger man didn't have nearly that much grit to him, though - as was immediately apparent by an acrid smell in the air. P-pl-please d-don't eat me, mister dragon!" the lad half-shouts, half-hiccups out, too terrified to resist the grip he's found himself in.

"Uhhh... Markas was a little unsure of how to proceed with this question. He didn't want to lose face but he also didn't want to lie to Grin either. Markas figured this was a chance for Grin to get to know him better so he swallowed his pride and quietly told him why
    Most elves are good at using bows, its true. But I am not most elves, I'm not even mostly elf hahaha. Markas laughed nervously. the truth is I'm just really clumsy and I end up with either broken bowstrings or a waste of arrows. My father, who is human like you, tried to teach me how to hunt when he was still alive.... Markas paused for a short while before continuing.
    "Broke nearly every one of his bowstrings. I remember that we ate bean soup that week..." Markas smiled wistfully.
    "Later after both my parents... passed away, the elves who raised me were putting me through my paces and tried to get me be an archer but the same things ended up happening. But they were more persistent I suppose, probably because we wouldn't starve if I kept failing hahah. They kept at it until they figured out i was magically inclined and let me focus on that instead. Elves have a lot of patience, long life and everything but even they have limits. Tye end result is that I know how to string a bow, knock an arrow and let it fly but I wouldn't count on my skill if someone's life was at stake. Plus it helped the town get used to me after the attack. I feel like people would get frightened if they saw me with a bow in my hands." Markas looked at Grin to see how he was receiving his explanation.

After keeping eye contact with him for a bit too long, Markas blushed and changed the topic to the arrow that was still there.
    "Right, let's get this over with then. I'll push it through, snap the shaft and apply pressure on yhe entry wound, I'll leave the exit wound to you." he said in a bit of a rush.

Markas said a small prayer and gripped the arrow shaft with his right hand several inches away from the entry wound. A wad of gauze was also clenched in his left hand, ready for the final step of this procedure. Nodding at Grin, Markas, grit his teeth and drove the arrow deeper with a swift motion until he felt it break the skin on his on the other side. A low guttoral growl emanated from Markas' throat as he went, clenching his jaw tight through the pain. He kept pushing until he was sure Grin would have enough arrow to actually remove the offending projectile before snapping the base of the arrow off with a swift jerk, another grunt and applying pressure to the wound.

Show
    cast guidance. Medicine check to do this without doing too much more damage?
    (1d20+7)[20] + [roll1]
    Grin, it seems, was at least partially using the question - and lengthy, thoughtful answer, as a minor distraction as part of getting the arrow worked out. Despite that, he does chuckle a bit at Markas' seeming chronic problems with bows. "I guess I'm a bit better - never really broken a bowstring - but I've never really been trained in weaponry, so I'm only a decent shot at the best of times. Give me a good sturdy blade any day," he mutters, as he busies himself positioning Markas' body and pushing the arrow through at the right time. "Alright, just relax for a moment and-" and it's pushed through, without much preamble.

Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    Medicine: (1d20+7)[20]

Honestly, even if he flubs that roll, you rolled well enough to get it out. Him rolling well just means no potential tiny bit of damage afterwards.

Kriv roared loudly, it was an impressive sound. Markas looked at the two to see if there was any discernible change in their demeanour. Nina was there with him and managed to make the older one talk at least. Markas didn't see the need to intervene just yet, but he was ready to should he need to.
    Spoiler: Insight
    Show
    The older one is convinced that the others won't be happy if Kriv seriously harms them, but is starting to think that Kriv will give it a solid effort before they can stop him if he doesn't start talking soon. Nina's combination of seduction for the lad and puppetry for him is also causing the more veteran bandit to consider the possibility that you lot are maybe mad, which speaks poorly to his chances of survival. All in all, he's 'bout ready to spill as long as he feels there's a voice of reason to hide from Kriv behind.

The younger one is a confused blubbering mess who is convinced Kriv is going to eat him.

My Homebrew

15. - Top - End - #225

Nina winces at the smell coming from the young man.

Yeah, we're having none of that. She comments as she intones a few arcane words.

[Casting prestidigitation. ]

16. - Top - End - #226
    Titan in the Playground

Nina winces at the smell coming from the young man.

Yeah, we're having none of that. She comments as she intones a few arcane words.

[Casting prestidigitation. ]
    The growing stain/puddle is now gone, although while it's largely gone at this point, the scent still lingers a bit.

My Homebrew

17. - Top - End - #227

Planetar

Markas saw Rook stare and then abruptly turn around and address everyone. Markas guessed he was startled to see Markas standing there with a bow. Looking at it again he tightened his grip on it before walking up to Rook and saying, "Here, this one will give you better range than your short bow." while handing the bow to Rook.
    A frown threatens to cross Rook's face, but through a visible effort and resigned sigh his face relaxes and a look of the faintest sorrow replaces the grimace. He looks a the bow then at Markas, then back at the bow. Rook stretches out his hand to take the weapon, but before he grasps the stave his arm retracts slightly. A small tremble shakes his hand as if Rook were fighting his own decision to take the bow. He clenches his eyes shut and turns his face to the sky as he sucks in a steadying breath through his nose.

When he turns back to Markas, Rook's eyes are wet with the hint of fresh tears. "Thank you, Mist...Markas. You and I need to talk, but not here. When we get back to Nightstone." Through the tears that never fell, Markas can see a steely determination. Haunted eyes. Rook takes the bow and nods his head slightly to Markas. He then turns and continues walking ahead scanning for threats.

When Kriv roars, Rook walks back to the prisoners immediately picking up on the smell of fear and excrement. He puts himself between the older man and Kriv extending an arm toward the bandit and the dragonborn's chest. "Everybody, Kriv, just calm down! We're all okay here. No need to get mad, right?" Rook nods his head slowly while staring a Kriv, eyes wide and a small smirk on his mouth. "Remember what happened last time? He bled out before we could get anything from him. And then we found out he wasn't really the one pulling the strings. He could have told us what we needed to know and gone on his way. Calm down, buddy. Why don't you take a walk and blow off some steam? Let me see if he has any information that could help us. Okay?"

He turns around to face the older bandit with a look of slight concern on his face. He walks close to the man and speaks in a hushed tone. "I don't know how long that will stall him, but all we need to know is who you're working with, did you or anyone you know come across a caravan going to Nightstone, and if so, where can we find the items that were taken from that caravan?" He glances over his shoulder at the hulking form of Kriv walking into the tall grass.

Show
    Persuasion - (1d20+2)[3]
    Persuasion Adv. - (1d20+2)[22]
    Insight for lying/just telling me what I want to hear - (1d20+5)[22]

Nosce te ipsum

18. - Top - End - #228
    Titan in the Playground

When Kriv roars, Rook walks back to the prisoners immediately picking up on the smell of fear and excrement. He puts himself between the older man and Kriv extending an arm toward the bandit and the dragonborn's chest. "Everybody, Kriv, just calm down! We're all okay here. No need to get mad, right?" Rook nods his head slowly while staring a Kriv, eyes wide and a small smirk on his mouth. "Remember what happened last time? He bled out before we could get anything from him. And then we found out he wasn't really the one pulling the strings. He could have told us what we needed to know and gone on his way. Calm down, buddy. Why don't you take a walk and blow off some steam? Let me see if he has any information that could help us. Okay?"

He turns around to face the older bandit with a look of slight concern on his face. He walks close to the man and speaks in a hushed tone. "I don't know how long that will stall him, but all we need to know is who you're working with, did you or anyone you know come across a caravan going to Nightstone, and if so, where can we find the items that were taken from that caravan?" He glances over his shoulder at the hulking form of Kriv walking into the tall grass.
    The younger man just kinda blubbers, but the other one steels himself and squares his shoulders. "Ain't getting paid enough to put up with this, that's for damn sure. Our gang kinda got taken over a few weeks back by a large group of mages - no real identifier in 'em, just said they were travelers - but since they established new leadership in the Greenfangs, they've been pushing for bigger scores, even stuff that might attract bigger attention than we generally go for. Guess they succeeded, taking that caravan bound for Nightstone," he adds ruefully. Glancing at Kriv's form, he grimaces before continuing: "Didn't figure there'd be much passing through your little 'burg, but guess that's why I ain't in charge. Anyway, we've been operating out of a cave system for a few years; its a ways off the path leading there, but it's right around the forest edge, west-north-west of the Phyland Hunting Lodge - apparently dwarves or kobolds or somethin's long since been diggin' tunnels in the hills surrounding the Dessarin River. There's natural caves extending into tool-worked sections and back again, maze of tunnels beneath the surface, but only a few entrances. We ain't ever gone too deep, haven't needed to or wanted to, but the one you're looking for's where the hill forms a sorta...cliff face? Too short to be a real cliff, y'see, but anyway it's got a tributary running over it making a neat waterfall. Cave entrance you're looking for is further southeast along the same cliff face, maybe a hundred yards?" He shrugs.

Spoiler: Insight for Rook
    Show
    He seems to be telling the truth, as best you can tell. He's putting on a good show of being strong, but he's scared stiff of Kriv too.
    Last edited by AvatarVecna; 2018-09-29 at 12:56 PM.

My Homebrew

19. - Top - End - #229

Planetar

Rook Shekten - Recently Sober, Good Cop

"What's your name, sir?

Thank you, ______, for your candor. One last thing. Do you know any of these mages' names? Or any identifying markings or symbols they may have? Any help you can lend will go a long way with the city guard in Nightstone. And keep him off your case."
    Last edited by Orsik Vondal; 2018-09-29 at 02:06 PM.

Nosce te ipsum

20. - Top - End - #230

"Thank you Grin. Feeling better already! When this all blows over, I'll bring you some herbs as thanks."

Rook said they needed to talk back in town. Markas watched the emotions play across his face before they hardened into the steely visage he had before. The use of Makras's first name was also not lost on Markas either.
    "Of course."

Markas listened to the Bandit speak. He could hear no trace of any mistruths. The discussion of landmarks near the Ardeep made Markas think about whether or not he recognised the descriptions.
    Show
    generic D20 to apply to one check relating to recognising the landmarks discussed with guidance if I'm am allowed the time (1d20)[10] (+ (1d4)[2]) +2 if History applies
    Last edited by Alias_Trench; 2018-09-30 at 10:23 AM.

21. - Top - End - #231
    Titan in the Playground

Next time you will hopefully not be as bold to insult a dragon. As Kriv puts both men back down, he doesn't seem to relax but instead they can hear him inhaling. After a moment, and no deadly fire stream, the bandits relax a bit. You have to thank this lieutenant here for your sorry hides. He pats Rook on the back and turns to his fellow guard. I am no good at searching them down for weapons and I will NOT let them leave with any weapon. Let them know how it is being robbed down to your underpants. I would prefer them to undress so we can search them. Kriv says with a serious tone, not a sound of his usual light-heartedness.

22. - Top - End - #232

Zora feels humbled as she listens to the older bandit open up after Rook just does a little deception and politely asks the man for some information. Maybe treating him with some humanity is better than violence? she considers. Although he did threaten with him with having Kriv kill him, so maybe not. Still, Rook's got to be more experienced than I am at interrogations, so maybe I'll start with that next time.

As the bandit mentions that mages are their organization's leaders, Zora grows a bit nervous. Granted, they only took over a troop of bandits, but still... I'd rather not tangle with a group of mages right now. A trio of decent bowmen nearly took us down! We'll need to prepare before I'll feel safe delving into their lair.

Zora has to hide a smile as Kriv suggests stripping the bandits naked in retribution, then frowns a bit at the suggestion of letting them go. "I don't think it's necessary to strip them down," she opines. "They're tied up, so we can just take all their weapons from them if you want to untie them." She finishes with a somewhat sour note in her voice.

23. - Top - End - #233
    Titan in the Playground

[B]"What's your name, sir?
    "...Gregory, if it matters."

"Thank you, Gregory, for your candor. One last thing. Do you know any of these mages' names? Or any identifying markings or symbols they may have? Any help you can lend will go a long way with the city guard in Nightstone. And keep him off your case."
    "Only gave first names, and I'm pretty sure most of 'em were lies anyway. Some...maybe half of 'em have these matchin' red 'n' black outfits. The others...they look like they fit better in a weird circus or something. And all of 'em, all the time, keep their faces covered." He hesitates a moment, before adding "If it helps, it feels like they're looking for something particular, and so they want people comin' in to deal with 'em, but not too much heat from official channels. I dunno why they're stickin' with us, though - would think if they're looking for something in particular, they'd have an easier time working with a guild or something." He shrugs. "Could be a way to talk things out, if you go that way. The gang...well, they're not good folk, but they ain't bad ones either, we just tried to get by and make enough to live in the woods by ourselves, but then this group comes along and starts escalatin'..." He lapses into silence.

"...uh, look out for the girl with the dog mask. Nick - er, the guy who did a runner on you - he's gonna tell 'em what happened, and she's gonna be pissed you killed the wolves."

"Thank you Grin. Feeling better already! When this all blows over, I'll bring you some herbs as thanks."

Rook said they needed to talk back in town. Markas watched the emotions play across his face before they hardened into the steely visage he had before. The use of Makras's first name was also not lost on Markas either.
    "Of course."

Markas listened to the Bandit speak. He could hear no trace of any mistruths. The discussion of landmarks near the Ardeep made Markas think about whether or not he recognised the descriptions.
    Show
    generic D20 to apply to one check relating to recognising the landmarks discussed with guidance if I'm am allowed the time [roll0] (+ [roll1]) +2 if History applies
    You're well aware of the hilly area between the NW edge of the Ardeep and the major river passing by. While you haven't heard of any cave system in those hills, you're aware there's kobolds in the area from time to time, so its existence wouldn't surprise you.

Spoiler: DC 5 for Markas, DC 10 for others (covered by that check)
    Show
    The Phylund Hunting Lodge is less of a hunting lodge and more of a fort maintained and defended by a small militia in the employ of some minor elven noble who does frequent business in Waterdeep; the existence of this hunting lodge within the forest proper, where Nightstone sat on the edge, was a sore point during discussions involving the pact between Nightstone and your people. The existence of the lodge was less concerning for you, both because there are far fewer ruins to be plundered in that part of the forest, and the noble living their respects their laws and doesn't trespass in those areas anyway, but the seeming double standard that (to the villagers' eyes) had more to do with how well-defended Phylund was made discussions tenser than they needed to.

This noble, and a bit more to the point his hired swords, may make useful allies in clearing out the bandits in the hills, if he could be convinced to assist - although your recollection of the man is an old elf unconcerned with most things, save his own profits and hunting expeditions.

Next time you will hopefully not be as bold to insult a dragon. As Kriv puts both men back down, he doesn't seem to relax but instead they can hear him inhaling. After a moment, and no deadly fire stream, the bandits relax a bit. You have to thank this lieutenant here for your sorry hides. He pats Rook on the back and turns to his fellow guard. I am no good at searching them down for weapons and I will NOT let them leave with any weapon. Let them know how it is being robbed down to your underpants. I would prefer them to undress so we can search them. Kriv says with a serious tone, not a sound of his usual light-heartedness.
    Both men look rather nervous as Kriv approaches once more, and then once again at his suggestion.
    Last edited by AvatarVecna; 2018-10-01 at 05:26 PM.

My Homebrew

24. - Top - End - #234

Oh hey, that's right by the area of some old elf dude of a noble. Nina says pulling out an elf in the prime of his life. Cause Elves don't age.

He's a really good hunter and archer. I'm surprised he hasn't dealt with the bandits frankly, maybe he's taking his time to do so? His daughter's cute too, but she's a total bitch. She adds after a moment's thought.

25. - Top - End - #235
    Titan in the Playground

So guys, we keep 'em, or do we let them off? I'm sure they'll be hanged if we return them to Nightstone, and we don't have the time nor do I have the nerves to deal with a proper court. Kriv says while holding their arms. Pat 'em down for other weapons, will ya? he nods at the general direction of the group.
    Last edited by Spore; 2018-10-02 at 07:16 AM.

26. - Top - End - #236

Zora inwardly groans upon hearing about a 'girl with the dog mask'. Great, one more thing to deal with from these bandits. After listening to Kriv and thinking for a moment, she says, "Well, I'd rather not see them hang, but I also don't want to fight them again, so I'll make sure they don't have any weapons, and then we'll cut them loose. After that, we should probably head to the Phylund Hunting Lodge and see if the proprietor will help us out."

Show

Investigation for hidden weapons: (1d20+2)[22]

27. - Top - End - #237

Planetar

Rook took everything in and tried to make sense of it all. I'll have to mull over this later. We gotta get back to Nightstone.

"The guardsman in me can't just let them go. And I don't want them to return to their old ways. I have to believe people can change, Kriv. For my own sake. Rook lowers his gaze for a moment. "Since they are helping us, I might able to get them probation. Their bandit friends might not take kindly to them assisting us, so they might be safer in Nightstone than out here where the mages might get 'em. I think Gregory and his companion can be trusted to high-tail it back to Nightstone to avoid being picked up by the bandit mages. Right, Gregory?

"By the way, what is your companion's name? I'd hate to call him 'Gregory's friend' all the way back to Nightstone."

Nosce te ipsum

28. - Top - End - #238

"You know of this noble Nina?" Markas asked somewhat surprised. "Although I suppose he does spend more time in Waterdeep and you were there before coming to Nightstone right?"
    "It is more than likely that He hasn't done anything about the Bandits probably because they haven't affected his bottom line or his hunting. I hear that's all he really cares about."

"It is true that we could head to Phylund Hunting Lodge but I firmly believe we should return to Nightstone first. We clearly underestimated the resources the Bandits, these greenfangs, have at their disposal. The revelation of mages in situ makes this much more dangerous than it was before. We may need to get more information from Lady Nandar... Speaking of which," Markas turned to Gregory "How many do the mages and the green fangs number?"

29. - Top - End - #239

I.... don't want to be just releasing these bandits. Otherwise they'll meet up with their friends, and we'll just be fighting them later. Nina remarks.

I've never been in Waterdeep, what are you talking about? She remarks turning to Markas confused, before pulling out mini marcus.

Do you know, what big you is talking about? Nina remarks.

30. - Top - End - #240

"Oh! I just thought... well, never mind about that. How do you know about this noble then?"