Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

Default Is water wet?

Is water wet?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: Is water wet?

That depends on your definition of "wet".

To a physical scientist, a "wetting liquid" like water is one that leaves residue behind when flowing across a surface. A "non-wetting" liquid like mercury is one that doesn't leave traces behind - the entire spill of liquid flows off.
    So if you reckon that water has traces of something else on it (like oil) then the water is wet with the oil (just typing that makes my brain hurt).

So, let's try another definition: "something that is we is at least partially covered in water".
    How then can water be wet? Surely a covering is part of the water and so is not a covering... (brain still hurts).
    Well, ice can be wet (when the surface layer starts to melt) but for liquid water it becomes harder but not impossible!
    Footage exists of underwater lakes (usually due to a major difference in salinity) formed when water separates into layers so you get water covered in water - i.e. wet water.

In conclusion I think we can certainly say that water can be wet, but it isn't necessarily wet.
    Last edited by Khedrac; 2018-07-27 at 08:00 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

It's actually more interesting than all of what Khedrec said, since "wetness" isn't a property of the water but a property of you and how you interact with water. Or any liquid for that matter. "Wet" is the adhesive force a liquid has on a solid.

The question you should be asking, because this is really the more interesting bit by far, is how much water do you need for that property to manifest? Because a single water molecule doesn't produce this adhesive force with solids. It needs more than that. So how many molecules of water (or any liquid) do you need before you get Wetness.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Big question: Is something wet when it is completely submerged in water?

Something becomes wet when water is poured onto it while the object is in the air, water residue remains on the object, thus making it wet.

if the object is completely submerged in water, then there is no "Residue", just water. With no air around it, the residue can not exist.

So are objects completely under water in fact "Dry"?
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Draconi Redfir View Post
    Big question: Is something wet when it is completely submerged in water?

Something becomes wet when water is poured onto it while the object is in the air, water residue remains on the object, thus making it wet.

if the object is completely submerged in water, then there is no "Residue", just water. With no air around it, the residue can not exist.

So are objects completely under water in fact "Dry"?
    No, because wet isn't just when water is poured on an object. Water is adhering to the object. Thus. It's wet.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

If wet is being covered in liquid, then are the molecules on the surface edges wet, or only the ones one layer (or more) beneath?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

GnomePirate

I would say "being wet" is a state, which implies that anything that can be wet can also not be wet.
    Water being wet sounds plausible, but water being dry sounds very implausible, which to me means that water also can not be wet.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Or, in RPG terms: water has no way to even attain the "wet" modifier, even if it can be used to apply the wet modifier to other objects and substances.
    The Hindsight Awards, results: See the best movies of 1999!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Murk View Post
    I would say "being wet" is a state, which implies that anything that can be wet can also not be wet.
    Water being wet sounds plausible, but water being dry sounds very implausible, which to me means that water also can not be wet.
    I disagree since your definition requires wet or dry being a binary state.

In physical sciences, a substance being wet or dry is very much not a binary state and there are degrees of 'wetness', which is more commonly referred to as the moisture content. This is normally expressed as a percentage, with 0% being anhydrous (absolutely dry) material.

Since ultrapure water will have a 100% moisture content, it is by definition 'wet'. This leads to the oddity that 'normal' water, which has minerals and other substances dissolved in it, will have a lower moisture content compared to ultrapure water, so it is 'drier' than ultrapure water (although I concede that 99.999 rec% is pretty much 100% for all practical purposes).
    Last edited by Brother Oni; 2018-07-28 at 07:13 AM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Barbarian in the Playground

Well we're living in a simulation so if the simulation programed water to be wet it must be true. Unless the simulation got it wrong. What if chicken isn't programed correctly to make it so that chicken doesn't taste like actual chicken?

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

That's not the question you should be asking. What you SHOULD be ask is:

"Is fire burnt?"
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by enderlord99 View Post
    "Is fire burnt?"
    Not after I dump some water on it!

I swear we had this discussion just a couple weeks ago. Maybe a month. What thread was that in?

*goes off to think about where it was*
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    Not after I dump some water on it!

I swear we had this discussion just a couple weeks ago. Maybe a month. What thread was that in?

*goes off to think about where it was*
    It was How to eat corn on the cob, and similar points of disagreement

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

That's not the question you should be asking. What you SHOULD be ask is:

"Is fire burnt?"
    Usually - flame is gases heated to the point where they emit visible light - and the gases are usually the combustion products which have definitely been burnt. There is a large difference between fire and combustion.

Yes, as soon as I posted the first reply I realised that there was a high chance I had just replied to a spam-bot (and the lack of OP contribution makes this more likely). I am more surprised that no-one else has popinted this out yet!

15. - Top - End - #15

Quote Originally Posted by Khedrac View Post
    Yes, as soon as I posted the first reply I realised that there was a high chance I had just replied to a spam-bot (and the lack of OP contribution makes this more likely). I am more surprised that no-one else has popinted this out yet!
    Hmmm, you are right. Except that he has started at least 1 thread in homebrew and, aside from his first couple posts, seems to be posting cogent thoughts. If he is a spam bot, he is the best spam bot ever.

On the other hand, wasn't there a poster that the mods had identified as a bot but weren't banning because it was making word salad replies that were almost cogent and it amused people? I swear I walked into a thread where Glyphstone was cackling about that. Or about the eldritch popcorn he was selling that would corrupt souls with its buttery, salty tastiness. It is hard to tell somethimes.

As to fire colors: is typical (wood or coal) fire emitting black body radiation, or does the reaction have a line in visible light? I know some things burn at certain colors (which is how they make colored fireworks), but I'm not sure if hydrocarbons are one of those things.
    Rockphed said it well.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Halfling in the Playground

Hmmm, you are right. Except that he has started at least 1 thread in homebrew and, aside from his first couple posts, seems to be posting cogent thoughts. If he is a spam bot, he is the best spam bot ever.

On the other hand, wasn't there a poster that the mods had identified as a bot but weren't banning because it was making word salad replies that were almost cogent and it amused people? I swear I walked into a thread where Glyphstone was cackling about that. Or about the eldritch popcorn he was selling that would corrupt souls with its buttery, salty tastiness. It is hard to tell somethimes.

As to fire colors: is typical (wood or coal) fire emitting black body radiation, or does the reaction have a line in visible light? I know some things burn at certain colors (which is how they make colored fireworks), but I'm not sure if hydrocarbons are one of those things.
    now i wanna buy some eldritch popcorn...
    T R A N S
    R I G H T S
    A R E
    H U M A N
    R I G H T S
    - someone who knows what's up

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

Well, water can be covered in water. If two grains of sand are stacked atop each other it's not ONE grain of sand just because they're together. Water is similar, each molecule of water is in fact, covered with many more molecules of water. Therefor, water is generally wet. Unless you can separate out a single molecule of water and place it in isolation. In which case, that one molecule is dry.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by AvatarZero View Post
    I like the "hobo" in there.
    "Hey, you just got 10000gp! You going to buy a fully staffed mansion or something?"
    "Nah, I'll upgrade my +2 sword to a +3 sword and sleep in my cloak."

Non est salvatori salvator, neque defensori dominus, nec pater nec mater, nihil supernum.

Torumekian knight Avatar by Licoot.

Note to self: Never get involved in an ethics thread again...Especially if I'm defending the empire.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Elementary, dear Watson! A single molecule of water is not wet, given that it is not covered in a liquid.

Now, I'll be off having my favorite sandwich at the resturant down the street. Dare I say you might join me?[/bad british]
    Spoiler: List of Things You Don't Need To Know
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    killing and eating a bag of rats is probably kosher.
    Gosh 2D8HP, you are so very correct (and also good looking), and your humility is stunning

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Brother Oni View Post
    I disagree since your definition requires wet or dry being a binary state.

In physical sciences, a substance being wet or dry is very much not a binary state and there are degrees of 'wetness', which is more commonly referred to as the moisture content. This is normally expressed as a percentage, with 0% being anhydrous (absolutely dry) material.

Since ultrapure water will have a 100% moisture content, it is by definition 'wet'. This leads to the oddity that 'normal' water, which has minerals and other substances dissolved in it, will have a lower moisture content compared to ultrapure water, so it is 'drier' than ultrapure water (although I concede that 99.999 rec% is pretty much 100% for all practical purposes).
    I don't think that really negates a binary state. There is binary of 0 = dry and 1 = any degree of wetness. Using the scientific terms you used, I'd say only 0% is dry and all others are wet. There is, of course, a gradient within wet of how wet something is; and the fact that some low wetness levels are practically equivalent to being dry doesn't mean that they are in fact not dry but wet (say, 1 or 2%). But I don't think that negates a binary definition. Just we need to clarify what dry and wet mean.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Goaty14 View Post
    Elementary, dear Watson! A single molecule of water is not wet, given that it is not covered in a liquid.

Now, I'll be off having my favorite sandwich at the resturant down the street. Dare I say you might join me?[/bad british]
    Please, the word is "restaurant"; also one has never seen one of 'them' described as a 'sandwich' before, but one doesn't feel one can argue with that appelation. The good Earl must be spinning in his grave!

(Actually I do dispute the term "sandwich" for the item in question - a sandwich is defined as have two slices of bread to contain other food, and that image looks as if the bun has not been completely separated.)

21. - Top - End - #21

Quote Originally Posted by Khedrac View Post
    Please, the word is "restaurant"; also one has never seen one of 'them' described as a 'sandwich' before, but one doesn't feel one can argue with that appelation. The good Earl must be spinning in his grave!

(Actually I do dispute the term "sandwich" for the item in question - a sandwich is defined as have two slices of bread to contain other food, and that image looks as if the bun has not been completely separated.)
    So you hold that a sub/hoagie/grinder is not a sandwich?
    Rockphed said it well.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

So you hold that a sub/hoagie/grinder is not a sandwich?
    Presumably, it depends on whether it's cut all the way through or only part of the way.
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

23. - Top - End - #23

Presumably, it depends on whether it's cut all the way through or only part of the way.
    What if the back side of the cut rips halfway: does it become a sandwich halfway through eating if eaten starting at the un-ripped end?
    Rockphed said it well.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

What if the back side of the cut rips halfway: does it become a sandwich halfway through eating if eaten starting at the un-ripped end?
    So it appears.

[elevate nose]Of course, one would not dream of consuming a vittle where such an eventuality is a conceivable outcome.[/elevate nose]

Also, it does raise questions about the "sandwich pockets" that some british supermarkets are now sellng for the teminally lazy.
    Last edited by Khedrac; 2018-08-09 at 07:11 AM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Similarly, if you create a snack with two slices of bread and ingredients between them, but one of the ingredients is of the sticky type, and causes the two slices to merge together to the point were they'd tear if you tried to separate them, does that mean it is no longer a sandwich?

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2018-08-09 at 09:08 AM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

26. - Top - End - #26
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post

Grey Wolf
    The visual does not help at all in telling me what the hell a "chip bitty" is.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

27. - Top - End - #27
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Looks like a... french fry sandwich? Which is one of those foods that sounds simultaneously delicious and ****ing revolting. Why is that not a thing here?
    Vitruvian Stickman avatar by linklele.
    I have an extended signature now. God knows why.
    Spoiler: shameless self-aggrandizing
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    What this guy said.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    A chip butty is basically a chip (fat french fries for the Americans) on buttered bread/roll sandwich, the butty part of the name referring to buttered bread. Mostly a UK thing to my knowledge.

Can include various sauces, but generally not any other solid ingredients.
    Sanity is nice to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Grim Portent View Post
    A chip butty is basically a chip (fat french fries for the Americans) on buttered bread/roll sandwich, the butty part of the name referring to buttered bread. Mostly a UK thing to my knowledge.

Can include various sauces, but generally not any other solid ingredients.
    Eh, I can accept that as a sandwich. A bad sandwich, but still a sandwich.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

30. - Top - End - #30
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

I stand with Keltest on this.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2