New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 27 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2171819202122232425262728293031323334353637 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #781
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: Trog's Tavern CLIII

Anastasia stares into her glass for a moment, processing the question and weighing her options.

"I was part of a gang," she says. She brings her right hand up, snaps her fingers, causing a ball of flame the size of an orange to float over her palm. "We acted like big shot supervillains but we were just a bunch of troublemakers with superpowers. We'd go out, rob some stores, fight with other gangs."

"Turns out the authorities take that kind of thing seriously, so during one of our robberies we got surrounded by the meta-cops and hauled off. They had helicopters and power inhibitors and everything. I was fifteen, so I was thrown into a reform center."

Anastasia shakes her head as she remembers.

"I mean, they really did try to reform us, but all the kids there were dealing with personal stuff on top of having superpowers. In the end the best they could do was keep us out of trouble."

She extinguishes the flame by closing her fist.

"I'm free now, but hell if I know what to do." She looks around the tavern. "I ended up in some crazy place it looks like."
    Awesome OOTS-style Fallout New Vegas avatar by Ceika. Or it was, before Photobucket started charging money.

General nerd person. Mostly computer games and manga.

2. - Top - End - #782
    Bugbear in the Playground

The half-elf nods, listening to the story.

"That's too bad," she says. "To be honest, though, I've never seen a prison or reform center actually work how it should."

"I-I had something similar happen to me. Not the gang part, but the prison," she confesses. "I mean, I guess it really wasn't that similar, but it supposedly was to 'reform' me and then execute me as soon as I had changed. Something something atone for my birth or whatever." She waves her hand to wave away that idea. "Luckily my sister broke me out, so..."

She trails off.
    She doesn't really like her sister.

"...so, anyway, this place is a good place to start over, if that's what you want."
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    (and basically everything else that starts with 'f')
    ALSO! Come roleplay FFRPG in the Nexus!
    Nexus Characters.

3. - Top - End - #783
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Anastasia raises an eyebrow at Holly's brief story of her past. After a beat she decides not to pry. In her experience it was often best to wait for people to volunteer additional details on their own.

"Start over, huh?"

She pulls out a fresh cigarette and lights it, again with her index finger and thumb.

"If I wanna keep smoking and drinking here, I'd probably need a..." She coughs, but not from her smokes. "A job." Anastasia drinks her ale. "Then I'd have to find a house, and all that too."
    Awesome OOTS-style Fallout New Vegas avatar by Ceika. Or it was, before Photobucket started charging money.

4. - Top - End - #784
    Barbarian in the Playground

Zee, for her part, is mostly just listening after delivering the ale and coffin-nail cigarettes.

That and working on an order of velvet elvish (with extra mushrooms) ordered by a nearby table occupied with plumbers wearing various two-tone outfits. Probably not the weirdest group of people to come into the tavern recently.

Holly gets a wave, too. At which Zee will mouth 'the mask is nice'.

No reason to intrude on the conversation right now, after all.

[Outside Trog's]

"Equestrians? They're, hmmm" Geneva mutters, doing a quick scan of the nearby streets. "Over there by the newspaper dispenser."

She nods in the indicated direction at the lime green equinoid wearing a fedora and overcoat. He's smallish compared to an actual horse. And, really, his facial features are horse-like in about the same way a human's are ape-like. There's a little image of a shoe with gum stuck to the bottom on his haunches that looks too sharp to be painted on. A vibrant purple glow surrounds the spiraling horn sticking out from under his hat, a similar glow sufficing a magnifying glass levitating in front of him. Apparently he's... investigating?

"Equestrians. They aren't as common as humans, but there are quite a few who live in the Nexus. They're mostly friendly people."

That explanation done...

"Did you want me to show you the way to the temple? I have some business I wanted to take care of there anyway."
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    The Eternal Game Nightmære Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

5. - Top - End - #785

Quote Originally Posted by Artemis97 View Post
    Raril shrugs. "It was a long time ago, but if you'd rather we go to Destro first, we get along much better, I assure you. Share drinks with him all the time. But really, fate of the Nexus is more important than any grudge I might hold."
    [Seeking the Heart]

Alysha scratches the back of her head a bit, looking a little sheepish.

Well...yeah, you're right. Fate of the Nexus is more important. After all this, though, I think I'm gonna have to give him a stern talking to.

The vampire turns back to the door, her usual energy back in full force. Alright then! Back to the plan! Onward to meet Magtok!

Quotes and goodies:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

I swear by my pretty floral bonnet, I will end you. - Malcolm Reynolds

Because I'm allergic to things I don't wanna do. *coughcough* - Caboose
    Photos from the 2014 Woodward Dream Cruise.

CHARACTERS
    I has a story! Updates when I can.
    3DS Friend Code: 2595-1862-5907

6. - Top - End - #786

Holly waves back at Zee and mouths 'thanks'.

"Yeah, I guess you do," Holly says. Recently, Holly gets money from three different sources so she's doing fine for now: being a populist politician while in disguise, cage fights, and mercenary work. "Lucky for you, explorer and mercenary-type jobs seem to be pretty lucrative here. There's also...official organization-slash-government jobs you could look for? Or something more normal, probably."

She pulls out her own MERC license and shows it off. Pretty fancy, right? Took her a lot of work to prepare for it, even though actually getting it was the easy part. (The hard part, of course, was teaching herself how to use make-up and getting there without messing any of it up.) "I just recently applied for a mercenary license from this one organization. They kinda pretend to have a monopoly over the business, but it's okay because they've arranged discounts for people with them."

"Or. You could do a blood donation if you need quick cash, I suppose. Seems to be a huge demand for blood."
    Probably because of all the vampires and blood mages, Holly.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

7. - Top - End - #787
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Anastasia considers for a moment. Ever since she discovered she could shoot fire out of her hands, normal just didn't seem right for her. But finding something that was right, well she was still in the process of that.

"That explorer or mercenary stuff seems up my alley," she says finally. "I mean, I don't enjoy violence for its own sake, but I can if I need to." It was a holdover from her gang days, where people had to know you were willing to fight and kill if necessary, but you also weren't some unstable psychopath.

"I'm not in any urgent need for cash," she says, in response to the blood donation idea. "Also I'd rather keep my blood inside me, if at all possible." Metas were generally protected where she came from, but things were a little less clear for criminals, and some of the tests that she and the other kids were subjected to didn't have obvious purposes.

8. - Top - End - #788

Since only one of those options sounded interesting to Anastasia, Holly focuses on that:

"So there's that MERC organization, where you could either get a license or a membership." Honestly, if you're just getting a license, it can be handwaved off-screen so long as you inform a player of one of the MERC members, if you want. "I don't really have all that much to do today, so either I could show you, or I could just write out the directions for you to go at your own leisure."

Holly turns back towards her own things she ordered and was eating: "Or you could just be freelance. Or maybe join the more heroic group? I think they get stipends or something." - VIGIL, the one Holly recently sneaked in to and attacked one of their members - "Or...well, I suppose there's a lot of options." She shrugs. "You don't have to decide now, if you just want to get to know this place better before making any decisions."
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

9. - Top - End - #789

Quote Originally Posted by Rebonack View Post
    [Outside Trog's]

"Equestrians? They're, hmmm" Geneva mutters, doing a quick scan of the nearby streets. "Over there by the newspaper dispenser."

She nods in the indicated direction at the lime green equinoid wearing a fedora and overcoat. He's smallish compared to an actual horse. And, really, his facial features are horse-like in about the same way a human's are ape-like. There's a little image of a shoe with gum stuck to the bottom on his haunches that looks too sharp to be painted on. A vibrant purple glow surrounds the spiraling horn sticking out from under his hat, a similar glow sufficing a magnifying glass levitating in front of him. Apparently he's... investigating?

"Equestrians. They aren't as common as humans, but there are quite a few who live in the Nexus. They're mostly friendly people."

That explanation done...

"Did you want me to show you the way to the temple? I have some business I wanted to take care of there anyway."
    [Outside Trog's]

Karl firs has problems finding the newspaper dispenser. He looked for a child or something that hands them out. His home world was a bit behind in sience things. As he sees the investigator horse he appears totally confused and tilts his head to the side.

"Is it all right?" he says not able to make out gender, if they got one. "It looks like it got poisoned. and i guess it belongs to a herd due to that brand mark. Maybe it got lost?"

Going futher since his questions aren't that important he says.

"Oh yes. I think it will speed things up for me."
    Grammer is my declared deadly enemy!

Let's PLay's in German Take a Look at Bravely Default.

Nexus Characters: LINK

10. - Top - End - #790
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Anastasia takes another swig from her ale.

"You know what, I think you're on to something. Maybe I should get a feel for this place before signing up with an org." Especially if they were the kind that had a lot of tedious rules and/or didn't respect their members' privacy.

She chuckles as she considers a question she hadn't thought about in a long time.

"Any tips on where to crash? I'm not looking for anything fancy, just a bed and running water." Anastasia looks around, taking in the rustic aesthetic of the tavern. "Or maybe proximity to a well?"

11. - Top - End - #791

"There's loads of residential places all around the city. New places cropping up all the time, in fact. If you're just looking for a place to live, I'd recommend either Riverside's Eastside or some of the nicer places around Inside..." She lists off a couple of them. Holly knows Riverside better, because she lives there also.

Then she remembers something important. "Oh. But before you choose a place, make sure you ask the neighbors what it's like. Some places can get pretty dangerous."

Holly then looks around and then notices the staircase in this tavern. "Oh! I almost forgot! This tavern also rents out rooms upstairs. Perfect place to stay while looking for a more permanent place."

The half-elf-looking-lady stands up, having just finished what she had ordered. "Well, good luck. I need to follow up on a couple more leads." She leaves some money on the bar - way more than enough to pay for what she had - "Hey, since I'm in a hurry, could you tell the barkeep this is to pay for my bill? You can keep the change if there's any; thanks in advance."
    Last edited by 5a Violista; 2019-05-21 at 01:26 PM.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

12. - Top - End - #792
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

"Oh right, thanks," says Anastasia as Holly gets up. She waves her new acquaintance farewell.

Not one to turn down free money, she settles Holly's bill and then surreptitiously pockets the remainder. She had a few pointers now, a few names and places to work with. Immediately she crosses the tavern off the list; it was a public place after all and the whole point of a home was to put up walls between your space and the rest of the world.

Anastasia slips her right glove back on, finishes her ale, and settles her own bill. She hops off the bar stool, feeling a little energized by the drink and smoke. Time to go.

13. - Top - End - #793
    Ogre in the Playground

Sitting at one of the tables near the front of the tavern so she has good light from the windows is a fiery haired woman with freckles and clad in an armored buff jacket, a sheathed nodachi leaning against the wall next to her, the scabbard lacquered red with gold inlay depicting scenes of a fiery warrior triumphing over an ifrit lord in combat.

It seems the reason she needed the lighting to be good is because of a book she has open on the table and is clearly thoroughly enjoying. It's a thick paperback, and a look at the cover shows it to be some kind of fantasy novel. One has to wonder what a literal divinely empowered warrior is doing reading fantasy books, but hey, as long as she's enjoying herself, right? aside from the book, the other things on the table are a plate of pork chops, mashed potatoes, and peas that she's picking away at, as well as a tankard of mead.
    If You need me to post somewhere, drop me a message, please

Awesome avatar by the wondrous Kurien.

14. - Top - End - #794
    Titan in the Playground

Entering the tavern is another woman, wearing a wide-brimmed straw hat and a simple robe held by a moderately ornate belt. Said robe is clearly covering some kind of armor, however. Her eyes sweep the tavern with mild distaste, before settling on the one who must clearly be the woman she seeks. She approaches and the other woman will no doubt recognize an Immaculate monk when she sees one. Calm Reed stops and bows.

"Greetings, from one Dragon to another."
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

15. - Top - End - #795
    Ogre in the Playground

Halae looks up from her book, blinking in surprise. She looks out across the tavern a moment in bewilderment, confirming that, yes, this is still the Nexus, she didn't somehow transport back to Creation.

"Uh, greetings to you as well, Monk," The young fire aspect quickly gets out of her seat and returns the bow to Calm Reed. It's a hesitating, stilted thing - an unpracticed motion if ever there was one. She's clearly not used to being greeted so formally - Calm Reed may recognize the Nellens house insignia embroidered on silver and brown tassets, which will almost certainly explain why the motion is so unpracticed.

16. - Top - End - #796
    Titan in the Playground

"I have heard of other Dragon-Blooded passing through here in the past, but I thought I was the only one in the present," the monk says. If she has noticed the other Exalt's stiffness, she chooses not to comment. "My name is Calm Reed, a monk of the Immaculate Order. Shipwrecked somehow in this strange land."
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.

17. - Top - End - #797
    Ogre in the Playground

"It definitely has a way of doing that," Halae says glumly, clearly not happy with this turn of events, "I'm Nellens Halae. I... uh, do you want to sit down and eat? I think they serve rice here," might as well be polite.

18. - Top - End - #798
    Titan in the Playground

"I won't say no to that. Thank you for your invitation." Calm Reed sits down and takes off her hat. Her head is of course bald and up close, Halae might notice the bluish hue around her eyes and ears, which together with her deep blue eyes mark the monk as a Water Aspect. "Were you also pulled in here, as it were?"

19. - Top - End - #799
    Ogre in the Playground

Halae will sit back down and order a bowl of rice and water for Calm Reed, then she turns back to the monk, "So... why did you seek me out? You knew I was here, since I can't imagine a monk coming into a tavern without a good reason."

From her tone and expression, Halae has already worked out what the reason is. She just hopes she's wrong.

20. - Top - End - #800
    Titan in the Playground

Calm Reed quirks an eyebrow slightly.

"I thought it was obvious. You're the first Dragon-Blooded, and person form Creation in general, I've heard of while being here. I had to come meet you. See who you are and offer my help as a monk if need be."

21. - Top - End - #801
    Ogre in the Playground

"I appreciate your concern," Halae offers a strained smile, 'oh please no,' "But I have my affairs sorted, and don't really need a monk watching over my shoulder. Though your counsel is, of course, always appreciated."

one thing you learn as a child in a Dragon-blooded house; never insult a monk. But there are many ways of telling someone politely to screw off.

22. - Top - End - #802
    Barbarian in the Playground

Oh hey!

Two friends Zee made have finally met each other!

She was pretty sure that would happen eventually, since they're both (probably) from the same universe and the Nexus absolutely adores serendipity. It's always fascinating to watch. The City itself is huge. The Nexus proper is even bigger. And yet people with common backgrounds, common stories, cross paths almost without fail. Sometimes they get along great!

Other times?

Not so much.

Halae looks like she wants Reed to leave. Buuuut it would clearly be improper to say that. Reed clearly wants to help Halae. That's an interesting dynamic, right there.

Maybe she can help?

Only one way to find out.

A small, simple cup, tea pot, and plate are set before Calm Reed. A plate with a modest portion of steamed rice, stir fried vegetables, and broiled fish. Usually Zee enjoys going a bit fancier than this, but she has the uncanny feeling that Calm Reed wouldn't be allowed to have any in that case. She couldn't even have chocolate! And that's a giant shame. May as well do the simple stuff right for her friend, then, if that's the only option.

The completely normal human barmaid offers a warm smile to the Monk.

"You gals let me know if you need anything else, okay?"

She'll wait a moment for a reply, then return behind the counter.
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    The Eternal Game Nightmære Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

23. - Top - End - #803
    Titan in the Playground

Calm Reed nods her thanks to Zee before returning her focus to Halae. She can definitely tell the other Dragon-Blooded wants her gone, but she's not getting off that easy.

"Indeed? This is a wild, untamed land. There's no Perfected Hierarchy here and several groups trying to keep order as they see fit. Like the Threshold, but at least without Lunar Anathema." She takes a sip of her tea. "I heard about you battling what sounded like fey. Once I was told a fiery woman with a blood-red blade fought them, it wasn't hard to put two and two together."

24. - Top - End - #804
    Ogre in the Playground

"Thanks, Zee," Halae says to the barmaid as the food is delivered.

When Calm Reed continues along, Halae sighs and waits for it to end, "Yes, I did quite well against them both times, with some help from Zee."

25. - Top - End - #805
    Titan in the Playground

"Zee," Calm Reed repeats. "Seem she's a mutual acquaintance of ours. An odd person, that one. But helpful. Do you simply wander this land battling threats to mortals, then?"

26. - Top - End - #806
    Ogre in the Playground

"It's worked out so far," the fire aspect states, "I have enough money to survive and I get donations from people I help. I've got food, people to talk to. Why? Do you think it's unbecoming? That'd be a little hypocritical coming from a monk."

27. - Top - End - #807
    Titan in the Playground

"It would not be unbecoming of an outcaste, born somewhere in the Threshold. It is the duty of all Princes of the Earth to protect mortals." The monk appears to have either not noticed or chosen to ignore the jab at her. "But I'm surprised to find an Exalted scion of House Nellens living like a common mercenary."

28. - Top - End - #808
    Ogre in the Playground

"What do you want me to do about it, huh?" Halae says, shaking her head as she sets aside the book she'd had open, placing a bookmark within, "Nobility doesn't mean squat here. A large part of the way that noble houses work is by having the resources and influence to manage things. I can't access my house's funds from the Nexus, and I don't have a way to pull a bunch of retainers in when I don't even know how to get back to Creation in the first place. So yes, I'm operating like a mercenary."

29. - Top - End - #809
    Titan in the Playground

"True enough." Calm Reed has to concede Halae's point. "Some people come here willingly, others are stranded and have to make do. Establishing a proper position befitting a Dragon-Blooded will take you some time, I'm certain."

30. - Top - End - #810
    Ogre in the Playground

"And if I don't want to?" Halae prompts, an eyebrow raised. Remarkably, this question isn't a challenge, but rather something of a rhetorical question leading into another statement, "Were you part of one of the Great Houses like I was, before becoming a monk? You went through the normal battery of schools, right?"