New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Trog's Tavern CLIII

Crazy Little Thing Called Love

"Doctor's good. Lots of knowledge and stuff. Hopefully, anyway. What did you research, anything in particular?" Jack isn't too knowledge about her body, and isn't even sure if she needs a doctor or a vet if she gets hurt. It probably depends on the injury and if it transfers when she shifts. Which is something I need to think about.
    Terrowin Avatar by HappyTurtle. Much thanks!

2. - Top - End - #92
    Barbarian in the Playground

Radio Gaga

Mostly I researched biochemistry, new medicines, that sorta stuff. Did some work in virology as well. Nigel really doesn't wanna bore this guy with his work. I did get to consult on this actually. He holds up his metallic hand. This at least can be passably interesting, he supposes.

A surgical prosthesis. Got all the tools in it I need to do anything up to the more complicated brain surgeries. As he speaks his hand shifts and changes, fingers sliding back into the main body of his arm to be replaced by various scalpels and needles, before shifting back into a regular hand.
    Last edited by billtodamax; 2018-08-25 at 05:15 PM.
    Recaiden made the mime doll.

Spoiler: Nexus Characters
    Show

3. - Top - End - #93
    Orc in the Playground

Princes of the Universe

"That sounds really interesting, but... My tribe don't mine, or smelt metal. They're stone age, basically. I don't know what most of those words mean." Jack doesn't have the knowledge base to understand virology, amongst other things.

4. - Top - End - #94

We Are The Champions

Oh, right, uh... Nigel waves his hands in the air as if he's trying to conjure the words he needs. Chemistry is just stirring stuff together to make new stuff, uh, virology is studying diseases, a prosthesis is a replacement for a limb, and surgery is cutting people open to fix internal injuries. He counts off on his fingers. That was all the complicated stuff he said right? Probably.

So wait like... making spears and hunting mammoths stone age? Nigel did not pay a lot of attention to history.

Show

5. - Top - End - #95
    Orc in the Playground

One Vision

"Not quite, there's humans who don't shift nearby. But we were nomadic until we moved into an abandoned petrol station. That's the central building; most live in nests, or huts built like nests scaled up to human size. We do some hunting, mostly we do gathering and scavenging. We trade with our neighbours, but besides some weaving we don't make things to trade, we scavenge or steal them from ruins or whatever." So stone age in the sense all their technology- from metallurgy up- is imported.

6. - Top - End - #96

Another One Bites The Dust

Wait your whole tribe in a- oh right, right, birds. This whole set up makes a lot more sense when you remember they can all be birds. You seem smart enough though - you could probably reverse engineer some stuff. Get up to bronze age at least. Nigel believes in you crow people. You can do it.

Show

7. - Top - End - #97
    Orc in the Playground

One Vision

"We could, but... Nobody's interested in smelting. Or mining. I don't like holes, and I can't think of anyone who would, given the chance, willingly go down a hole to whack at rocks with a pickaxe to get rocks to melt to make metal. We're smart, but... We're also quite lazy. They're happy the way they live, and don't want to change it. I didn't like that, so I left, and came here. Inside." That's the big thing. Humans will go down a hole to get rocks to melt into metal if they're promised food; the jackdaw-people would rather say no, I'm not doing that, I'll get my own food thank you.

8. - Top - End - #98

The Third Vision By Now

I'll be honest I also don't wanna head down into a hole and hit rocks with a stick. That sounds like hard work. Nigel agrees, going back to his whiskey. Some people do it though. They tell me it's fun. Weirdos. The mining they did was a lot more dangerous than the mining Jack is talking about.

Show

9. - Top - End - #99
    Orc in the Playground

Seeing What's Really There

"Most jobs are hard work. That's why I don't have one. And I don't really want or need one." Which means Jack is living the same way as the rest of her people, but she's doing it in the city, not the middle of nowhere.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zefir View Post
    "You rmember the guys who hunted me?" Zefir says as he gets up. His view goes around the tavern just in case. "I told you, befor I came here I was working in a buisiness we don't need to spell out. I hate mages, near every one of them out of reasons, but I haven't killed any since i was here and mostly only defended myself against them. "
    "Yeah, I remember, but..." Adir frowns. "Well, look, man. You know I'm happy to help if they ever try to get to you again. But uh..." He actually chuckles. "I don't think that can be your hobby."
    My avatar was done by Gullara. Thanks again!

"If you meet a spirit walking,
    Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

-Things Our Mothers Tell Us

Nexus Characters

11. - Top - End - #101

Bicycle Race

They have their good points sometimes. When some joker comes in half-dead from fist-fighting a monkey and you patch them up again it feels excellent. Up until they go back for round two but there ain't no cure for idiocy.
    Nigel does not have a very high opinion of his fellow man. Maybe you just haven't found the job right for you or whatever? That's good advice right? Some people have definitely given him that advice before.

Show

12. - Top - End - #102
    Orc in the Playground

Who Wants To Live Forever?

"I don't want a job. I mean, I work, sometimes. I've been a guide before, and sold stuff I've found to pawn shops, but I don't want a job. Too many chains, not enough space, y'know?" She doesn't expect Nigel to understand, but she values her freedom. And her joblessness and homelessness she interprets as freedom. And maybe she's even right.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Lynx Thornheart walks into the tavern, then looks around taking in the current diners and drinkers. Quite a good mix of people. He loves it when there's a mix of people.

The cat-person is wearing a black leather biker jacket over a white t-shirt, along with jeans and combat boots. He looks almost like a rambunctious biker ready to start a fight. I say almost because he has one thing that breaks the illusion, a black walking cane with a skull topping it which Lynx is walking with. If anybody can detect magic, they will detect a strong aura of magic emanating from the cane.

He sits atop a bar stool, leaning his cane up against the bar, and orders a Feline Fancy. He looks at his cane and appears to be talking to it.
    Last edited by CosmicHobbit; 2018-08-25 at 07:39 PM.
    After 2 years of silence, I reappear!

Place your bets now, how long until I disappear again

14. - Top - End - #104

Under Pressure

Yeah it's probably crap advice anyway. Nigel shrugs and finishes his drink. So aside from getting strangers drunk in bars and flitting about the rooftops what do you do for fun. Got any hobbies or...? Nigel so desperately needs a hobby. None of the people he works with are any fun.

Show

15. - Top - End - #105
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CosmicHobbit View Post
    Lynx Thornheart walks into the tavern, then looks around taking in the current diners and drinkers. Quite a good mix of people. He loves it when there's a mix of people.

The cat-person is wearing a black leather biker jacket over a white t-shirt, along with jeans and combat boots. He looks almost like a rambunctious biker ready to start a fight. I say almost because he has one thing that breaks the illusion, a black walking cane with a skull topping it which Lynx is walking with. If anybody can detect magic, they will detect a strong aura of magic emanating from the cane.

He sits atop a bar stool, leaning his cane up against the bar, and orders a Feline Fancy. He looks at his cane and appears to be talking to it.
    Someone else is at the bar. A small, amber-colored dragon is ordering something. "Another pint of ale, good sir! Don't look so concerned, it's only my fifth!" The dragon takes his drink, and raises it to his mouth, only to notice Lynx's cane. He stops, and stares, fingering a little silver eye on a necklace of odd charms he wears.
    Awesome avatar (Kothar, paladin of Tlacua) by Linkele!

Quote Originally Posted by William Shakespeare, King Lear, IV.i.46
    'Tis the time's plague, when madmen lead the blind.
    My Nexus characters

16. - Top - End - #106
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Quote Originally Posted by bc56 View Post
    Someone else is at the bar. A small, amber-colored dragon is ordering something. "Another pint of ale, good sir! Don't look so concerned, it's only my fifth!" The dragon takes his drink, and raises it to his mouth, only to notice Lynx's cane. He stops, and stares, fingering a little silver eye on a necklace of odd charms he wears.
    Lynx sees the dragon staring at the cane and stops talking to it. He smiles. It would seems he's found someone who can sense the magic around the cane. He gets his drink and takes a quick sip before turning toward the dragon and, still grinning, saying, "I see you've noticed my cane. I mean, I know it's nice and fancy, but it's not really something people would stare at."

17. - Top - End - #107
    Orc in the Playground

Seven Seas of Ryhe

"Well... Both those activities are very fun, and if I flit for long enough, I'll find somewhere new or something interesting. Or a stranger to get drunk. So no, I don't really do much else. I read if it's rainy or cold, but mostly I do just flit around. How about you? What do you do in your spare time, just sit with strangers in bars and get drunk, or anything more?" But really, if you could fly, would you really bother doing anything else?

18. - Top - End - #108

Crazy Little Thing Called Love

Nigel stares at his empty glass for a few seconds before answering.

A lot of it revolves around drinking. Jeez that's a bit depressing. He seems to make up his mind about something. You ever take anyone else flitting around those rooftops with you?

Show

19. - Top - End - #109
    Orc in the Playground

We Will Rock You I used that one already... Also One Vision twice.

Jack smiles slightly. "Sometimes, but I'm not that big as a whole bird, and I'm too heavy to fly if I keep my size. So usually I only flit about the rooftops with people who can already fly, although I know a few hidden, private places legs can reach as easily as birds. You OK with heights? And, uh, not too wobbly?" There's a whole code to the sky-people's language, and Jack knows it.

20. - Top - End - #110

Flash's Theme

Yeah my balance is ok. I dunno if it's as good as someone who can literally turn into a bird but it's alright. Nigel promises. I can't just sit around drinking for the rest of my life right?

He's going to have to integrate into this place somehow. It certainly doesn't look like returning to his old job is an option.

Show

21. - Top - End - #111
    Orc in the Playground

Keep Yourself Alive

"Great." Jack grins and finishes her lemonade, and stands up. "Follow me." Jack stands up, and will lead to Inside, the Rooftop Garden.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gnrlshrimp View Post
    Oh good, does that mean we're done talking about dragons?

Hopefully that means we're done talking about dragons.

Excessive talking about dragons makes Gudrun nervous, though she doesn't show it too much. She is a trained diplomat after all!

Well, sort of. Very sort of.

"Ah, you mentioned a church. What church would that be?" Maybe she can get Renault talking about his home a bit more instead?
    "The church of Our Lady of Light." Renault explains. "It's the main religion the Erstai elves brought with them from their homeland. Most have adopted it."
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel
    I write and draw occasionally: Have a look.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Troll in the Playground

Lynx sees the dragon staring at the cane and stops talking to it. He smiles. It would seems he's found someone who can sense the magic around the cane. He gets his drink and takes a quick sip before turning toward the dragon and, still grinning, saying, "I see you've noticed my cane. I mean, I know it's nice and fancy, but it's not really something people would stare at."
    Does he not know? Or is he lying, trying to bait me into revealing my powers? The dragon pauses. He'll play along, for now. "It's not a common style these days. Most wouldn't want others to think of them as a necromancer." He reaches out a talon to shake. "Erasmus von Hattenheim II, at your service."
    Last edited by bc56; 2018-08-26 at 09:29 PM.

My Nexus characters

24. - Top - End - #114
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Murkus View Post
    "Yeah, I remember, but..." Adir frowns. "Well, look, man. You know I'm happy to help if they ever try to get to you again. But uh..." He actually chuckles. "I don't think that can be your hobby."
    "Yeah.." Zefir admits. "Not realy a good catch phrase:
    Hey there, what are you doing in your free time."
    he says trying to use a higher voice to immitate a woman.
    "I try to kill all the mages around here." he says in a deep voice.
    "Would something like kickboxing be better?"he says in his normal voice
    Grammer is my declared deadly enemy!

Let's PLay's in German Take a Look at Bravely Default.

Nexus Characters: LINK

25. - Top - End - #115
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Does he not know? Or is he lying, trying to bait me into revealing my powers? The dragon pauses. He'll play along, for now. "It's not a common style these days. Most wouldn't want others to think of them as a necromancer." He reaches out a talon to shake. "Erasmus von Hattenheim II, at your service."
    Lynx nods and says, "I suppose not. The style has been done by voodoo men, but most people wouldn't want to be mistaken for that either." He shakes the talon heartily. "Lynx Thornheart, and ditto on the service thing."

26. - Top - End - #116

Quote Originally Posted by Zefir View Post
    "Yeah.." Zefir admits. "Not realy a good catch phrase:
    Hey there, what are you doing in your free time."
    he says trying to use a higher voice to immitate a woman.
    "I try to kill all the mages around here." he says in a deep voice.
    "Would something like kickboxing be better?"he says in his normal voice
    Adir has a little laugh at C4's impression. It wasn't bad. The stag inclines his head at the kickboxing suggestion. "Well, I don't know how to kickbox, but I am pretty good in a fight. I can teach you a lot of things. Do you have much other experience with martial arts, brawling, etcetera?"
    My avatar was done by Gullara. Thanks again!

"If you meet a spirit walking,
    Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

-Things Our Mothers Tell Us

Nexus Characters

27. - Top - End - #117
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Gunsforhands View Post
    Alley of Poirot

"Hrmmph. Fine. How much was it?"

"Ah..." Leslie looks up from an impatient halfling who has been waiting to use the exit and glances at her clipboard. "Two thousand, six hundred seventy... gil? Is it pronounced gill or jill?"

"Hmph," Poirot retrieves his wallet and approaches J, not justifying the ignorant newbie with an answer. "Very well. If you will look at this paper money..."

Once he has J's attention on the small handful of scrip, he suddenly springs into action and grabs at her bag, trying to wrest away what he imagines to be her only weapon.
    J grabs him and pushes him down - evidently he didn't think about how hard it would be to overpower someone made of stone. However, Poirot manages to maintain his grip on the bag, turning the fight into something like a tug-of-war. J realizes that if it gets stretched too much, something inside (possibly something dangerous) might break.
    The Greatest Threads Of GiantITP (in my opinion):
    A story of the exact wrong way to run a campaign.
    The best thread derailment of all time.
    The "canonical" list of Mostly Useless Magic Items.
    A ridiculous campaign.
    Weird dreams.

Working on a laptop connected to the Internet is like writing on a typewriter welded to a circus. -Unknown

My Nexus character

28. - Top - End - #118

"Lady of Light? Sounds, um, nice?" Gudrun asks hesitantly, not sure if "nice" might come off as a bit dismissive for describing a god. "I never spent much time studying the gods back home. But it sounds like she has quite the following? I think there was a bit of bickering between individual churches back home - too many gods, not enough worshippers."
    Before you criticise someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticise them, you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Troll in the Playground

Lynx nods and says, "I suppose not. The style has been done by voodoo men, but most people wouldn't want to be mistaken for that either." He shakes the talon heartily. "Lynx Thornheart, and ditto on the service thing."
    "Why the cane then, if you're not a necromancer or a voodoo man?" Erasmus seems puzzled.

My Nexus characters

30. - Top - End - #120
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

"Why the cane then, if you're not a necromancer or a voodoo man?" Erasmus seems puzzled.
    Lynx raises an eyebrow and inspects his cane, starting to say, "No reaso-" before stopping suddenly, eyes rolling back in his head. They come back down to the normal position, but they've changed from blue with round pupils to red with slit pupils.

Red-eyed Lynx, without pausing even a beat says, "Zaphiel is trying to get you to reveal your magic-sensing capabilities even though we all know you have them. I find it boring and a waste of time. So I have taken control of Zaphiel." Still not stopping for even a second, he stiffly holds out his hand and says, "I am Nox."