New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Trog's Tavern CLIII

Quote Originally Posted by CosmicHobbit View Post
    Lynx raises an eyebrow and inspects his cane, starting to say, "No reaso-" before stopping suddenly, eyes rolling back in his head. They come back down to the normal position, but they've changed from blue with round pupils to red with slit pupils.

Red-eyed Lynx, without pausing even a beat says, "Zaphiel is trying to get you to reveal your magic-sensing capabilities even though we all know you have them. I find it boring and a waste of time. So I have taken control of Zaphiel." Still not stopping for even a second, he stiffly holds out his hand and says, "I am Nox."
    Erasmus shakes the offered hand rather uncertainly. "The staff, I presume."
    Awesome avatar (Kothar, paladin of Tlacua) by Linkele!

Quote Originally Posted by William Shakespeare, King Lear, IV.i.46
    'Tis the time's plague, when madmen lead the blind.
    My Nexus characters

2. - Top - End - #122
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Nox nods and says, "Your presumption is correct. Not only are you capable of detecting magic, but you are also able to put pieces together quickly. Those are good skills to have." Nox actually waits for a response.
    After 2 years of silence, I reappear!

Place your bets now, how long until I disappear again

3. - Top - End - #123
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Murkus View Post
    Adir has a little laugh at C4's impression. It wasn't bad. The stag inclines his head at the kickboxing suggestion. "Well, I don't know how to kickbox, but I am pretty good in a fight. I can teach you a lot of things. Do you have much other experience with martial arts, brawling, etcetera?"
    "Nop, Only kickboxing." he says. "Not a real surprise if you grew up in a culture where they think 'material arts? Who cares use magic!'"
    Grammer is my declared deadly enemy!

Let's PLay's in German Take a Look at Bravely Default.

Nexus Characters: LINK

4. - Top - End - #124
    Troll in the Playground

Nox nods and says, "Your presumption is correct. Not only are you capable of detecting magic, but you are also able to put pieces together quickly. Those are good skills to have." Nox actually waits for a response.
    "I'm a wizard, it's part of my job." Erasmus isn't quite sure what the staff wants. He's clearly suspicious of it.

My Nexus characters

5. - Top - End - #125
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Quote Originally Posted by bc56 View Post
    "I'm a wizard, it's part of my job." Erasmus isn't quite sure what the staff wants. He's clearly suspicious of it.
    Nox studies Erasmus for a second, then says,"Well, I've ended the boring ruse and introduced myself, and I can also see you are suspicious. I will relinquish control and Zaphiel will take over once more. Goodbye." Nox's eyes roll back in his head, and come back down blue with round pupils. Lynx seems dazed.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zefir View Post
    "Nop, Only kickboxing." he says. "Not a real surprise if you grew up in a culture where they think 'material arts? Who cares use magic!'"
    "Well, then, I can teach you what I know. Should be able to keep the average loser off of you, at the very least I'd say," Adir assures him. "There, we found your new hobby."
    My avatar was done by Gullara. Thanks again!

"If you meet a spirit walking,
    Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

-Things Our Mothers Tell Us

Nexus Characters

7. - Top - End - #127
    Troll in the Playground

Nox studies Erasmus for a second, then says,"Well, I've ended the boring ruse and introduced myself, and I can also see you are suspicious. I will relinquish control and Zaphiel will take over once more. Goodbye." Nox's eyes roll back in his head, and come back down blue with round pupils. Lynx seems dazed.
    "You have an interesting friend there." Erasmus looks at the staff. "How'd you get an artifact like that?"

My Nexus characters

8. - Top - End - #128

"Well, then, I can teach you what I know. Should be able to keep the average loser off of you, at the very least I'd say," Adir assures him. "There, we found your new hobby."
    "Hmm, Okay...." Zefir says hard thinking. "And what is step two then? I think I forgot what the goal of this was."

9. - Top - End - #129
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

"You have an interesting friend there." Erasmus looks at the staff. "How'd you get an artifact like that?"
    Still looking dazed, Lynx says, "Oh, you met Bob?" He scratches his head. "How I got him? Well, I was an average guy, you know, the one being evacuated during disasters. Sort of an NPC, if life were a game. Then, something changed that. I had just gotten a jeep and was going for a joyride when a massive thing crashed in front of me."

"Now, I had no idea what was going on, but my jeep had broken when I was out in the middle of the desert.So I was pretty angry. I went down into the crater that appeared, and saw nothing but a cane."

"I had to laugh. It was so absurd. But when I picked the cane up, it immediately started telling me, but only by speaking into my brain, I would have power and be a savior if I were to use it and carry it with me everywhere. I was like 'okay, but not in the shower or bathroom' and the cane said that we could connect our minds and speak to each other telepathically if we did a ritual. So we did the ritual and he used magic to get me back home. And that's how I got him."

10. - Top - End - #130
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gnrlshrimp View Post
    "Lady of Light? Sounds, um, nice?" Gudrun asks hesitantly, not sure if "nice" might come off as a bit dismissive for describing a god. "I never spent much time studying the gods back home. But it sounds like she has quite the following? I think there was a bit of bickering between individual churches back home - too many gods, not enough worshippers."
    "She's benevolent, for certain." Renault agrees. "There are... other spirits, worshiped by my people, however, those practices are outlawed. There is no room for other gods in the eyes of the church."
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel
    I write and draw occasionally: Have a look.

11. - Top - End - #131

"Hmm, Okay...." Zefir says hard thinking. "And what is step two then? I think I forgot what the goal of this was."
    "Just to give you things to do. Probably to help destress. We can add steps later," Adir says, laughing a bit. "Sound good?"

Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

Nexus Characters

12. - Top - End - #132

"Oh, I see." There's just the slightest tinge of doubt to Gudrun's voice. Only one god allowed? That sounds a little stifling. But if she's benevolent, that's probably alright, isn't it? "Must be a bit strange being here then, with gods being much more, ah, present here?"
    Before you criticise someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticise them, you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    [Estus Park Cemetery => Trog's Tavern]

"I have heard that this place has a demon problem," Calm Reed says as she follows St. Lazarus. "Though what they mean by demon seems to be different. I have little use for money and no desire to fight for it, but we all do our part. I'll be fine if Vigil simply provides me with a roof over my head."
    "Must be nice, being able to live so simply. I don't think I could ever do that," Lazarus remarks, pushing her way in through the front door. The woman in face-concealing feudal plate armor and blood-soaked cloth tabard orders a Mind Flayer Mead with a bendy straw for herself, and inquires about a room for rent for her new monk friend.

"So anyway, from here, VIGIL is just down that road until you get out of the city, and then [directions to VIGIL that might or might not work because Nexus geography is dangerously inconsistent]," she explains, hoping her directions aren't too difficult to follow. You know how bad this place can get sometimes.
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    Magtok's the best
    "You probably found 'How to Survive a Robot Uprising' in the humor section. Let's just hope that is where it belongs."
    -Daniel H. Wilson
    Unhooded Magtok avvie by urodivoi

14. - Top - End - #134
    Titan in the Playground

"It's not an easy undertaking, learning to live simply when you could live richly," Calm Reed admits as she orders some tea. "It is one thing when your station in life would have you do so in any event, but another when more is in an arm's reach."
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Ogre in the Playground

"Oh certainly!" Renault agrees. "Though I haven't lost my faith, it's just... different. I haven't actually encountered any deities, though I've heard plenty of rumors."
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel
    I write and draw occasionally: Have a look.

16. - Top - End - #136

Saint Lazarus takes a deep breath, considers everything Calm Reed has said, and then glances down into her drink. Well, she's in Trog's now, isn't she? Worst case scenario, she can just call out for help again, keep her helmet on, and play damsel in distress when some big, bold hero runs in to save the day, right? She's been a friendly enough, cooperative person so far, and Calm Reed seems fairly sensible and not the sort to get tied up in dogma and scripture when it deviates from how things are run in the Nexus. Maybe Lazarus can take a chance here.

"Calm Reed, hypothetical question. If I was some kind of flesh-eating monster, not by choice, just because of an awful magical condition imposing some really nasty dietary restrictions, would you be obligated to kill me?" Saint Lazarus asks, a hand reflexively wandering down under the table to the sword at her hip, in spite of her best efforts to keep this civil and peaceful and friendly.
    Magtok's the best
    "You probably found 'How to Survive a Robot Uprising' in the humor section. Let's just hope that is where it belongs."
    -Daniel H. Wilson

17. - Top - End - #137
    Titan in the Playground

Calm Reed puts down her teacup with great care and turns to look at St. Lazarus with an impassive expression.

"In such a hypothetical situation," she says, knowing there's nothing hypothetical about it, "I would first prefer to find out more about the specifics of your situation and determine if you're a danger to those around you."
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.

18. - Top - End - #138

"I don't think I'd want to meet any gods directly. It seems like it'd be a very distressing experience. How do you address a deity that you don't, um, worship?" It feels like it'd all be very, very awkward.
    Before you criticise someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticise them, you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

19. - Top - End - #139

"The specifics are the flesh has to be relatively fresh and relatively human. Elf and orc is fine. Lizardfolk isn't. Werewolf gives me indigestion. This weird brain drink is fine. Some graves are fine, depending on the embalming methods used and how recently the body was put in a coffin. It can't be cooked or frozen, but I can save leftovers in a fridge if I'm careful." Saint Lazarus frowns, realizing that Calm Reed probably has no idea what a refrigerator is.

"Sorry, an ice box, if you had those back home. Anyway, I'm not going to just jump someone and bite their throat out. I mean, I could, I've got the teeth for it, but unless I was starving to death and had exhausted every single other alternative, I wouldn't. I'm not a violent psychopath, and I'm in no hurry to be burned at the stake by a mob of angry villagers for crimes against humanity. That's also why the armor stays on, always, even now," Saint Lazarus explains, fiddling with her straw, trying to fit it through a narrow breathing slit in her helmet, without flattening the straw to the point that it'd be completely useless.

"All of this still being hypothetical, of course," she adds, a weak lie that she knows isn't fooling either of them.
    Magtok's the best
    -Daniel H. Wilson

20. - Top - End - #140
    Titan in the Playground

It sounds like St. Lazarus is talking about a winterbreath jar, but mentioning it so casually... is this land so filled with wonders that an artifact comes up in passing conversation?

"And where does this unfortunate hypothetical person obtain the meat to nourish her?"

21. - Top - End - #141

Saint Lazarus shrugs. "Wherever she can. We met just outside a cemetery. They had a funeral there yesterday, and I figured it was safe enough to just dig up the coffin and then bury the bones after, but then bodies started rising from their graves on their own. It felt more than a little ironic, as you can imagine. A cannibal being hunted by the dead. I'm hypothetically sorry if that inconvenienced you, by the way."

"Also, I don't like being like this, just so we're clear," Saint Lazarus insists, slowly rising from her seat and pushing her chair back in. She thinks she's doing okay so far, but things are getting heated, and she might need to run away at any moment. "I didn't want to be doing this sort of thing with my free time. Direct sunlight is excruciating without my armor on, and I used to be so much prettier before I got bit."
    Magtok's the best
    -Daniel H. Wilson

22. - Top - End - #142
    Titan in the Playground

Calm Reed is silent for a few moments. She manages to look past her instinctual revulsion to something as vile as digging up fresh corpses. It seems the people here do not have the good sense to cremate their dead, which is also why they suffer from plagues of undead. The... person... in front of her is a monster, but not through a choice of her own, it seems. So what is she expected to do about it?

"Burying your dead and leaving them to tender mercies of flesh-eaters seems unwise," she observes in a conversational tone. "Where I come from, we cremate them. Which helps avoid problems such as a plague of zombies... or a hypothetical person who digs them up to eat them. But if such a vile predilection was forced on them against their will, it's hard to say what a monk should do about it."

Freeing the soul from its diseased body and sending it back to the cycle of reincarnation might be the wisest course. Let the Dragons decide where it'll end up next.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Troll in the Playground

Still looking dazed, Lynx says, "Oh, you met Bob?" He scratches his head. "How I got him? Well, I was an average guy, you know, the one being evacuated during disasters. Sort of an NPC, if life were a game. Then, something changed that. I had just gotten a jeep and was going for a joyride when a massive thing crashed in front of me."

"Now, I had no idea what was going on, but my jeep had broken when I was out in the middle of the desert.So I was pretty angry. I went down into the crater that appeared, and saw nothing but a cane."

"I had to laugh. It was so absurd. But when I picked the cane up, it immediately started telling me, but only by speaking into my brain, I would have power and be a savior if I were to use it and carry it with me everywhere. I was like 'okay, but not in the shower or bathroom' and the cane said that we could connect our minds and speak to each other telepathically if we did a ritual. So we did the ritual and he used magic to get me back home. And that's how I got him."
    "Do the two of you know each other's names? He introduced himself as Nox and called you Zaphiel."

My Nexus characters

24. - Top - End - #144

Saint Lazarus quietly stands there for a moment, her arms still holding onto the chair she was sitting in moments before. She calmly take a step back, reaches for her moneybag, and produces a handful of shiny coins, to cover both their drinks and Calm Reed's first night at Trog's.

"Well if I could make a hypothetical suggestion or two? Next time you punch someone to death, let me know about it. Or just let me keep being me. I'm not in a hurry to die, I'm an okay person, and the hunger hasn't made me kill any innocent people yet, so I'm overall more good for the Nexus than bad." Just don't ask her about any muggers in dark alleyways the hunger may have encouraged her to feast on. It's okay, though. They had it coming, mostly.

"I can keep this going, if I play my cards right, and the only ones who'll ever get bit will already be dead, so nobody gets hurt. Plus, if we get into a fight and I bite you before I die, and your monk powers don't make you magically immune, then the whole world will have even bigger problems, because then there's a monk with amazing superpowers with a ravenous people-eating hunger who has to decide whether to kill herself and save anyone else from suffering, or try to live with the contagion as a total backstabbing hypocrite." A ghoul exalted would be pretty inconvenient for everyone else, wouldn't it? I doubt it's even remotely possible, though.
    Magtok's the best
    -Daniel H. Wilson

25. - Top - End - #145
    Ogre in the Playground

Still riding off the high of a successful mission, Arbrim, who'd been celebrating with a group of rough-looking individuals, orders yet another round of drinks. As the others within his little entourage continue to socialize with one another, the undead bounty-hunter overherars the conversation taking place nearby, one which seemingly references the eating of flesh, contagious bites, and other such ailments frequently associated with those of his condition. Arbrim himself, over eight-feet tall and quite wide, stares over towards Saint Lazarus, blazing eyes flashing from beneath a tall, wide-brimmed leather hat, his sunken eyes of burning coals shielded by a pair of black shades. The barest hint of his clearly undead face can be seen from certain angles, despite the fact that a majority of the alien bounty-hunter's maimed and half-melted face remains hidden behind a dusty, black bandanna and a tall, blood-spattered leather collar.

The grime-splattered bounty-hunter can be seen clad in a long, tattered leather greatcoat worn over a thick, futuristic-looking breastplate inscribed with glowing protective runes. A dented, well-worn spiked gauntlet crafted of some unusual material and decorated with bones and runes similar to his armor can be seen worn over his left hand, while the other appears to be a particularly bulky cybernetic limb, each industrial-sized metal finger as thick as a lesser being’s wrist, pipes and pistons visible beneath heavy, spiked plating meant to crush, and grind, and utterly pulverize with brutal efficiency. Dozens of blood-stained bandages cover the prosthesis, and bones taken as trophies from successful ventures now decorate the arm, giving it a frightening, claw-like look. A cracked metal lantern decorated with flecks of gold and silver hangs from his belt alongside a trio of sentient severed heads attached to blackened chains, while a sharp, angular collar rests upon the man's broad shoulders, wrapping about his neck, where it attaches to an enormous black cloak.

Slowly, he shifts his weight upon a particularly unfortunate looking bar stool, one which creaks and groans in response.

"You there. How long you had it?"

26. - Top - End - #146

"Just to give you things to do. Probably to help destress. We can add steps later," Adir says, laughing a bit. "Sound good?"
    C4 appears a little bit confused.
    "Okay I guess?" he says. "Have to arange less time for sleep then to do this, but Hey1 you can have all the sleep when you are dead."

27. - Top - End - #147
    Titan in the Playground

Calm Reed, a tall woman in a buff coat, with blue eyes and an oddly bluish tint to her skin around her eyes and mouth, frowns.

"I am willing to postpone the idea to simply free your soul from its diseased body and send it to reincarnate, but I won't aid and abet-" Then she is interrupted by the arrival of a thoroughly uncouth-looking individual. He seems to be addressing St. Lazarus, so the monk remains silent for a moment.

28. - Top - End - #148

"Uhh...maybe six, seven months?" she blinks, not that anyone can see it, since the face-concealing knightly helm is doing its job so well. Saint Lazarus's danger senses are doing more than just tingling. They are screaming, hollering, begging her to cut and run right now. This tall, spooky stranger is bad news personified, and certainly doesn't look like he's been half as choosy about his prey, if the creepy, menacing aesthetic is meant to convey that he has a condition like Saint Lazarus's own. For god's sake, he has actual heads dangling from his belt what the hell is that. Saint Lazarus shoots a glance towards Calm Reed, hoping she has some way of putting an end to this discussion that will allow her to run the hell away and get on with her life before the spoopy murder man can get any chummier.
    Magtok's the best
    -Daniel H. Wilson

29. - Top - End - #149
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

"Do the two of you know each other's names? He introduced himself as Nox and called you Zaphiel."
    Lynx's brow furrows and he tilts his head to the side a little, mouth slightly open. "He did? Weird. I could've sworn I told him my name." He grins a little as he moves his head back to normal and un-knits his eyebrows. "When I found him, I asked what his name was. He replied that it didn't matter, so I just started calling him Bob. He never seemed to mind."

30. - Top - End - #150

C4 appears a little bit confused.
    "Okay I guess?" he says. "Have to arange less time for sleep then to do this, but Hey1 you can have all the sleep when you are dead."
    Adir laughs. "Exactly!" He looks at C4 a bit more seriously again. "You know, like I said, if there's anything I can do to help you out with how busy you are... Well, I guess I mean to say I have a little basic demolitions training. Bombs and grenades and things. Might be useful for pyrotechnics."

Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

Nexus Characters