New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Trog's Tavern CLIII

[Quiet Corner]

Layne's expression only grows more and more vacant as she struggles to comprehend what in the wild world Kiki was talking about. Finally though, once the Japanese woman mentioned her home world, Layne understands. Her expression brightens quite suddenly, and she offers a highly enthusiastic nod before gesturing. "Aha!~"

"Okay, I get it. You're an Offworlder, you're not from around here. That explains so much."

"Your world, what's it like?"

--

At that, she begins to retrieve a small glass vial from her pocket, carefully drawing a line of strange yellow powder upon the counter.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Bugbear in the Playground

[Quiet Corner]

"It's pretty normal, I guess," Yoshiko says. She looks around the tavern, to see if she can quantify how it's different. "Seems a little like this, except...just humans, I suppose. And no magic. But sometimes the motorcycles and satellites can seem like magic if you don't know how it works. You get what I'm saying?"

Kikkawa shrugs. "I mean, other than that, here doesn't really seem any different."

I mean, her original world is literally "normal Earth except with more frequent Harem Comedy Anime tropes".
    Last edited by 5a Violista; 2018-10-05 at 02:26 AM.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    (and basically everything else that starts with 'f')
    ALSO! Come roleplay FFRPG in the Nexus!
    Nexus Characters.

3. - Top - End - #243
    Ogre in the Playground

[Quiet Corner]

Layne shrugs a little here, reaching over for Kiki's tankard to finish off the last bit of alcohol left untouched. "That so? Well, that's not as exciting as I thought. Still, I bet it's kinda nice. Refreshing, maybe, to be away from all the chaos. All the weird sh*t that happens around here... it can get pretty overwhelming."

"Do you miss home?"

--

Quite casually, Layne lowers her head over the counter, violently sniffing at the line of yellow powder.

"Mmf. Yuck."

4. - Top - End - #244

[Quiet Corner]

...snorting some sort of drug? Isn't it kind-of dangerous to drink and do drugs? Kikkawa grimaces and already decides she doesn't want to try that, even if offered.

"Not exactly, there are really only three people I miss there, but one of them isn't there anymore." She looks down at her now-empty cup. Empty like her heart. Or something like that. Kikkawa starts to wonder how quickly alcohol is supposed to take effect. Is it like food, where it takes days or something? Or is it more instant? Is she already feeling drunk? Is feeling thirsty normal? She can't tell.

"The competitions were nice, too, but the ice here can be just as good as there." She just needs to find the ice skating rink. "Really, though, the one thing I miss most are the stars. The ones here just look...different. Not what I'm used to."
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

5. - Top - End - #245
    Ogre in the Playground

[Quiet Corner]

Layne shivers and blinks for several seconds before wiping at her nose and continuing, still entirely casual about what had occurred. "Ice skating, that's a thing people actually do? Neat. I don't think I've ever actually met an ice skater, but there's firsts for everything."

"Stars, though, eh? Didn't have you pegged for the cosmic aesthetic."

6. - Top - End - #246

[Quiet Corner]

"It's not so much as the stars themselves," Kikkawa says, "but more what they represent to me."

She doesn't elaborate.

Instead she goes off on ice skating. Ice skating is actually really fun. Some people are more about speed skating or doing sports on ice, but I prefer figure skating and ice dance. I usually place high on both single's and pair's and got a couple medals at the last Olympics." Ice skating is, in fact, the single thing she likes talking about the most.

"Just gliding on the ice...it's like flying. There's nothing else besides you and your blades." No thoughts, no worry, no being caught holding a knife..."It's basically freedom."
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

7. - Top - End - #247
    Ogre in the Playground

[Quiet Corner]

Layne shrugs, nodding in agreement as she mentions the stars. She could kinda get that, but in all honesty, she'd only ever found the distant lights of the heavens above somewhat unnerving. Even when she was younger, staring up into the stars on a clear-skied night only ever made her feel utterly insignificant.

She quickly shakes her head of an uncomfortable bunch of thoughts forming there, responding swiftly.

"Freedom sounds sweaty."

"I don't think I've the balance for it, I'd probably end up breaking something. How long've you been skating?"

8. - Top - End - #248

[Quiet Corner]

Kikkawa, on the other hand, likes being sweaty.

And, breaking things is unsurprisingly common in skating. As a matter of fact, many professional figure skaters end up getting a hip replacement in their 30s and have many knee and hip (and sometimes ankle) surgeries and injuries growing up.

"I started training when I was four," she responds. "Didn't really start enjoying it until I was eight, though."
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

9. - Top - End - #249
    Ogre in the Playground

[Quiet Corner]

Layne laughs a little here, though she's starting to notice that Kiki seems fairly out of place here.

"So... what's a girl like you doing here, of all places?"

"No offense, you don't seem the type."

10. - Top - End - #250

[Quiet Corner]

Kikkawa "Kiki" Yoshiko didn't think she had said anything funny. She mentally goes over what she just said to see what it was. I mean, it's not like she went off on a tangent about how polar bears riding motorcycles (even though that is something she's done before...).

"Travelling, mostly. I want to see more of the world and find if there's other skaters to compete against." Regardless of whether or not there was an implicit question of how she got here, Kikkawa hears that implicit question and answers it. "To be honest, I don't exactly know how I got here. There was some portal, I went in it to get out of therapy, and then I was here."
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

11. - Top - End - #251
    Ogre in the Playground

[Quiet Corner]

Now thoroughly spaced out due to what she'd ingested, Layne blinks a few times before retrieving a stale bag of onion rings from her ragged-looking overshirt. She sets it down upon the table before nonverbally offering a few to Kiki, appearing far more relaxed than she was only moments before.

"Makes sense. That's how most people get here."

"You have a place somewhere?"

--

At around this time, another individual enters the tavern. The suited figure looks about for several seconds before his eyes settle upon Darsy, identifying her by the description provided to him.

Messy locks of poorly-maintained raven hair have been slicked back and perfectly styled over the tall man's blocky face, while dull brown eyes face forward, his stare intense and somewhat unnerving to some. His weathered, olive-colored skin is ragged and blemished, and numerous bruises can be seen upon his sharp cheeks, deep bags under his eyes.

He clears his throat near Darsy, adjusting the white coat worn over his pin-stripe suit before speaking, fairly soft-spoken despite his appearance.

"Excuse me, Ms. Darsy?"

"I heard you trained fighters."

Spoiler: Reference:
    Show
    Last edited by Hattish Thing; 2018-10-05 at 10:33 PM.

12. - Top - End - #252
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KerfuffleMach2 View Post
    Darsy points a finger to Sam, grinning. And that's a reason I like this place! Random bar fights are always fun.

Darsy will approach the bar and order a beer. She'll also buy Sam whatever he's getting.

So, tell me a bit about yourself. I think you mentioned getting some kind of training before?
    "Yeah, I got roughed up in that fight so some weird metal people trained me. Three straight days, I didn't need to sleep because they gave me this crazy smoothie every few hours. Since then my sword's been teaching me the basics on how to use him. He's had a lot of wielders over the centuries so he knows some stuff, just can't explain it all." Sam explains.
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

13. - Top - End - #253

Darsy winces a bit at Sam.

Ooo, no, three days no sleep is terrible for training. Body needs time to recover from the workouts.

The sword sounds good, though. Definitely listen to him if you plan on using him.

She takes a long drink from her beer as she sees the suited man standing next to her. She nods a bit, some foam from the beer on her mouth still.

Yep. Hand to hand combat only. I don't really use weapons. What's your name?

Quotes and goodies:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

I swear by my pretty floral bonnet, I will end you. - Malcolm Reynolds

Because I'm allergic to things I don't wanna do. *coughcough* - Caboose
    Photos from the 2014 Woodward Dream Cruise.

CHARACTERS
    I has a story! Updates when I can.
    3DS Friend Code: 2595-1862-5907

14. - Top - End - #254
    Ogre in the Playground

The man appears painfully serious, his stance relaxed but clearly practiced, something Darsy will likely be able to identify. The suited figure carried himself in a way which seemed quite out of place, considering the way in which he dressed, constantly as if prepared for a struggle of some sort.

Once more, however, his tone of voice is soft and pleasant.

"I understand, miss."

"Marco Abruzzo. From what I've heard, you're quite skilled."
    Last edited by Hattish Thing; 2018-10-05 at 11:47 PM.

15. - Top - End - #255

Quote Originally Posted by The Mad Hatter View Post
    [Quiet Corner]

Now thoroughly spaced out due to what she'd ingested, Layne blinks a few times before retrieving a stale bag of onion rings from her ragged-looking overshirt. She sets it down upon the table before nonverbally offering a few to Kiki, appearing far more relaxed than she was only moments before.

"Makes sense. That's how most people get here."

"You have a place somewhere?"
    [Quiet Corner]

Kikkawa accepts some of the stale onion rings and starts eating them. They're pretty good, for something stale.

"No, not really. I found a couple of places that I could stay at for a couple days, but haven't exactly decided on something more long-term yet."

Besides, she's probably just as interested in finding an ice rink.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

16. - Top - End - #256
    Barbarian in the Playground

Ah, Trog's Tavern.

There's no greater wretched hive of scum and villainy in the Nexus.

Aside from, maybe, AMEN.

A frequent source of brawls, capers, and general tomfoolery.

But also a good place to observe. And so another newcomer arrives. A bookish looking young man in a gentlemen's attire. Shirt, vest, jacket, and hat. Well cut trousers and polished shoes. His complexion is on the darker end of tan, though his hair is a stark snowy white. Steely blue eyes survey the motley crowd for the day. The slightly pointed ears are indicative of a half elf.

Ib'bahali steps into the establishment, a small collection of rather arcane looking books tucked under his arms. He pauses briefly near the door, withdrawing a small bit of green soapstone on the end of a string and watching it sway this way and that. After a few moments of consideration, he settles on which table he'll be sitting at today. He's got a problem he's working on, and Trog's is often a (somewhat surprisingly) good place to work on problems. Because, you see, meetings here? Chance meetings? They tend to be auspicious for one reason or another. And a little bit of fortune goes a long way when dealing with the sorts of problems Ibby tackles on a semi-regular basis.

See, he's a scholar. A scholar of magic, as it happens. His area of practice is a somewhat narrow field relating primarily to the acquisition of information, but his interests range much wider. Most notably, he's uniquely equipped to deal with cults tied up in the veneration of slumbering things that ought to be left alone. And one shouldn't underestimate just how powerful a little bit of information (or misinformation) in the right place at the right time can cause a deranged cable of cultists to come crashing down.

He begins unloading his books onto the table, spreading them out in front of himself rather precisely. He has quite a bit of information to go over here, potential leads. Potential ways to stave off disaster. The biggest problem, of course, is the fact that he isn't deal with a cult at the root of this incursion. He's dealing with the rancid spores of a Great Old One germinating into little windows of forbidden knowledge. Putting out fires as the embers settle wouldn't get him anywhere. He needs to find a way to extinguish the blaze.

The pair of women, there...

Something familiar?

Ibby draws out six sheep knucklebons, each etched with a little rune, painted black. "Deja vu?" He gives them a toss and scrutinizes the result. No. "Temporal eddy?" More likely, this time. That's troubling. He'll have to keep tabs on her. He gestures for Paige and requests another of what Layne most recently ordered be brought to her, though without indication from who. He'll observe while he studies.
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    The Eternal Game Nightmære Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

17. - Top - End - #257
    Titan in the Playground

Not far from Ibby, a half-elven man is drinking seriously. It's the kind of drinking a man does when he doesn't want to remember or dwell too much on what happened recently. There's a whiff of magic about him, but none of it seems to come from him. It's just long external exposure that gave him this scent.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

18. - Top - End - #258

Oh hey, half-elf dudes in bars unite!

Something about the fellow drowning his troubles catches Ibby's attention, and if there's anything one learns quickly in his line of work, it's that trusting intuition is more often than not a good plan. "Ah, excuse me sir, a moment of your time if you're able?" he calls out to fellow. By this time he has stowed his hat atop a little knob on the back of his chair. because what sort of uncouth barbarian wears a hat indoors? Really? "You have something of a worldly look about you. I've been investigating some cult activity around the city centered on a particular yellow symbol. It may be causing poets and painters and musicians and the like to act... ah... somewhat unbecoming. Like murdering people and eating them sort of unbecoming, in more extreme cases. I don't suppose you've encountered anything particularly troubling lately?"

He's guessing yes.

Because that would be a good reason to be here at Trog's trying to suppress horrific memories.

Though it might not have anything to do with what he's looking into.

But!

Still good to know.

19. - Top - End - #259
    Titan in the Playground

Michalson looks at his fellow half-elf. Despite drinking a lot, he seems relatively sober. Must be years of experience.

"I did just see somethin' that no one should. I technically wasn't on duty when I did, but I... probably shouldn't talk too much, anyway. I can tell you it didn't involve any yellow symbols, though."
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.

20. - Top - End - #260

At this Ib'bahali frowns. A pity.

"That's unfortunate. Do try to keep your eyes open for strange happenings. I would like to tell you more, but the being that's catalyzing this problem feeds on people being aware of it. Which, as you might imagine, makes it difficult to raise awareness to stop it," he explains.

That's the trouble when dealing with eldritch abominations.

They aren't nice about following rules.

Stupid cheating Great Old Ones.

"If you do happen to encounter any strange yellow symbols or anomalous plays that appear to cause mental corrosion please call me if you're able," Ibby says, offering a business card to Michalson.

Quote Originally Posted by Card
    Ib'bahali Xar'cha
    Professional Augur
    Below is a wholly unremarkable phone number.

"Thankfully this sort of thing doesn't come up very often. There are too few people here in the city willing or able to deal with eldritch nonsense."

21. - Top - End - #261
    Titan in the Playground

"Too few, aye. But I'm one of 'em. Just, uh, not right now." He gestures to the glasses. "My tag's Michalson Barring. An occult detective for the Intersection."

22. - Top - End - #262

"Oh, well, yes. Off duty and all that," Ib'bahali replies with a knowing nod. "One must take pause every now and again from the horrors of the arcane. It wears on you."

Wears on you a whole bunch.

There's a reason why mad wizards are such a common trope.

Has to do with the nasty habit wizards have of going mad.

"Intersection! I've been meaning to look into that, if you would believe me," he says. About this time his velvet elfish finally arrives, which he begins nibbling at between turning pages in his books. "Having a few more official resources at my disposal would certainly be a boon. And I'm sure our interests align when it comes to preventing deranged cultists from ripping open a dripping gash in reality and disgorging unmentionable things into our fair City. You know, as it happens, my mother was on the police force, back in the day. My auntie, too. Back when this place was still called 'The Town'. Hah. It really wasn't that long ago, was it? But it feels so much longer."

He gives his head a little shake.

"But here I am rambling. A pleasure to meet your acquaintance, Mister Barring. I don't suppose you're familiar with the application process for your fine organization? Now that I have the subject on my mind, I think I may truly look into joining the cause."

23. - Top - End - #263
    Ogre in the Playground

Sam shakes his head.
    "The drink made me not have to sleep. It was crazy. It was like, something from a cartoon, I felt like I'd been in bed half a day with a full dinner from one cup. But, yeah. Steve has been good to me. Even if he's mad I don't go out slaying abominations more often."
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

24. - Top - End - #264

Darsy shakes her head bit at Sam.

Doesn't matter how tired you feel. Body needs rest. Can't get around that. And slaying abominations can be good, if those abominations are slaughtering people.

She turns back to Marco, looking him up and down a bit. Darsy herself seems very relaxed at the moment, leaning back against the bar, a beer bottle in one hand. Her arms and torso show a lot of well defined musculature.

I've had a few people tell me that. I just like fighting, really. And I like learning how to fight. I work it out from there.

Quotes and goodies:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

I swear by my pretty floral bonnet, I will end you. - Malcolm Reynolds

Because I'm allergic to things I don't wanna do. *coughcough* - Caboose
    Photos from the 2014 Woodward Dream Cruise.

CHARACTERS
    I has a story! Updates when I can.
    3DS Friend Code: 2595-1862-5907

25. - Top - End - #265
    Ogre in the Playground

[Quiet Corner]

So influenced is Layne by whatever she'd just ingested that she fails to acknowledge any sort of strangeness as the next drink arrives, unpaid for. Calmly, she dips a finger into the drink before stirring it about and assessing the painted nail, before taking a deep drink of the tankard, leaning up against the counter as she does so.

Focused on Kikkawa, Layne responds. "Oh, well that's perfect then."

"This may sound kinda weird, but, like, I've got an apartment, and... an opening, pretty recent."

--

Across the tavern, Marco remains serious, even as the others converse with one another.

"Mm. Would you be willing to provide training, then?"

26. - Top - End - #266

[Quiet Corner]

Kiki thinks about it.

It's actually not a difficult decision.

"Sure, I'd love to." It means she has more time to look for an ice skating rink, and maybe set up a skating-teaching job.

"I'm a little curious about why it just opened, but if it's a privacy thing, I can understand. Where's it at, by the way?" She's lost a job opportunity before due to somebody not respecting privacy laws, so...she's kinda pro-privacy.

She also is a little curious about how much it costs, but there's no way she has sense of money here so it probably wouldn't matter anyway. Well, if all else fails, she could always sell off her Olympic medals and that'd be good enough for a couple years.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

27. - Top - End - #267
    Ogre in the Playground

[Quiet Corner]

Layne smiles here, a genuine grin, somewhat lopsided. It's nice, though, for when she really smiles, her eyes grow somewhat brighter. Once Kiki mentions her curiosity, however, the smile fades, replaced instead by a slightly pained expression, one which she shrugs off as she takes another deep swig.

"It's... nothing serious, really."

"My boyfriend and I, er... ex-boyfriend, now. We shared the apartment. And, uhh, Grey District. It's nice enough. I could show you?"

28. - Top - End - #268

[Quiet Corner]

"Oh." Ex problems. That makes sense. "I'm sorry."

The Japanese woman looks down at her empty cup and says, "Yes, let's go. I'm done with my drinks anyway."

Having already paid, she stands up.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

29. - Top - End - #269

In an action that is not at all creepy or weird, Ib'bahali closes his right eye, touches three fingers to the lid, and then makes a sharp plucking motion. He mutters a few words under his breath in elven before hooking two fingers under his thumb and giving a quick flick.

Michalson, who happens to be well acquainted with magic, may recognize it as a spell colloquially known as Arcane Eye. Not nearly as potent as many forms of long range scrying, it makes up for this by being quite a bit more persistent. Creating an invisible sensor that can be moved about at the will of the caster.

Or, as in this case, created with an imprint upon a certain individual or object so as to follow them.

For those who can see things out of phase with reality, it looks rather akin to a goat's eyeball with two pairs of leaf-like wings.

The little arcane sensor zips back and forth above Ibby's head a few times before zinging off to follow Layne.

Because that isn't weird or creepy.

Not even a little bit.

Nope.

30. - Top - End - #270
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rebonack View Post
    "Oh, well, yes. Off duty and all that," Ib'bahali replies with a knowing nod. "One must take pause every now and again from the horrors of the arcane. It wears on you."

Wears on you a whole bunch.

There's a reason why mad wizards are such a common trope.

Has to do with the nasty habit wizards have of going mad.

"Intersection! I've been meaning to look into that, if you would believe me," he says. About this time his velvet elfish finally arrives, which he begins nibbling at between turning pages in his books. "Having a few more official resources at my disposal would certainly be a boon. And I'm sure our interests align when it comes to preventing deranged cultists from ripping open a dripping gash in reality and disgorging unmentionable things into our fair City. You know, as it happens, my mother was on the police force, back in the day. My auntie, too. Back when this place was still called 'The Town'. Hah. It really wasn't that long ago, was it? But it feels so much longer."

He gives his head a little shake.

"But here I am rambling. A pleasure to meet your acquaintance, Mister Barring. I don't suppose you're familiar with the application process for your fine organization? Now that I have the subject on my mind, I think I may truly look into joining the cause."
    "Yeah, I just signed up a couple o' turns- months back," Michalson says, trying to focus his train of thought a little. "So if yer ma and autie were on the force, I wouldn't know 'em. But I do know what's involved in joinin'. They 'ave to 'valuate you, run a check on ya to make sure you're not a criminal... that sorta thing. Cultists are right pests, aren't they? It takes a special kind o' barmy sod to think openin' a hole to tentacle dimension is a good idea."