New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Tidecleft: The Storm Breaks (IC)

The Silverleaf Institute
    Atrasday, Noon

Everly greeted the Constable with visible relief. The last couple hours of waiting with Ruby had been awkward to say the least. Thankfully Hoss had been pleased to visit with his Aunt and Ruby seemed satisfied with his care.

"Constable Vane! Come in, please." She smoothed her already tame hair nervously. She hadn't done anything wrong! She knew this was true and yet her conscious was playing games with her mind.

"Have you met Miss Ruby Bravo? Ruby, this is Constable Vane."

"Pleased to meet you." Ruby didn't seem particularly pleased but did her best to look put-upon.

"Constable..." Everly began.

"I arrived early to work this morning, this being my first regular day back after ah, my father's death." Another case she had called upon for Lilian's aid.

"Shortly after Senna and Duggin arrived, still mid-morning, this large crate was delivered addressed to Senna." She gestured to the large open crate nearby and handed the Constable to delivery note.

"When we opened it, we found Miss Bravo inside, unconscious and bound. We were able to rouse her, fortunately, but she says she doesn't remember how she ended up in the box or why she was delivered to us." Ruby nodded in agreement, a far-away look in her inhuman eyes as though she were trying to sort out her memories.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasanip View Post
    Somehow it is nostalgic to see the lewd discussion to return again to EMPIRE game.
    BIG thank you to Gengy for my fabulous avatar! ღ
    #Notallinfluencers

2. - Top - End - #92
    Troll in the Playground

Castle Briarcroft, Alden's Apartment
    Atrasday Morning

Alden sulked beneath the velvet pillow he'd put on his face to block the thin ray of sunlight coming in through the southern window. "Why don't we just kill the vampire? No one's ever thought of that," he scoffed.

The pillow was lifted long enough to savor the sting of celestially ordained punishment. Something like a blush crept across his flesh where the sun touched him. A thin dusting of ash followed. "Stefania doesn't ignore Tidecleft, it's merely economically disadvantageous for her to sink her claws in. But if something happens to precious Carmilla? She'd burn Pravia to the ground if it meant she got her revenge. She'd try, anyway. Could the city withstand her? Yes. But it's not a battle worth fighting."

"Look," he sighed, "If Marin tries to stuff me in a sack, kill him. No one cares about Marin. Then what will Carmilla do? Pout about it? Go after Eve? Ha! Eve's immune to compulsion and she'd turn Carmilla's heart to ash before she could even bear her fangs."

The duke shielded his face again and gestured for Alice to join him on the chaise. "Just ignore her. Find something fun to do with your time! Help me plan your debutante ball. I'll get Lucre over here. He loves skinny girls!"
    Last edited by Nefarion Xid; 2018-09-04 at 08:30 PM.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Troll in the Playground

Auntie Margret's Bakery

"My web has been disturbed... Someone is stealing my food..." Leressan Terrks returns to the bakery he infested. "Perhaps, whoever did it... shall return... I will be ready..." The spidery creature begins spinning webs and erecting traps within the building, keeping his twin knives close at hand.
    Awesome avatar (Kothar, paladin of Tlacua) by Linkele!

Quote Originally Posted by William Shakespeare, King Lear, IV.i.46
    'Tis the time's plague, when madmen lead the blind.
    My Nexus characters

4. - Top - End - #94
    Ettin in the Playground

Tidecleft, Atrasday Morning
    Delsin Brothers' Investments

Leaning out over the broken window frame, Molly watched with some amazement as the stranger arrested his fall with sufficient grace to kill the two men below. It was good work, if a little close. Though she was hardly one to criticize there.

"I swear, you meet the most interesting people in this city."

She turned back to find Dacy putting the finishing touch on the target. A final twist of his wrist pulled Delsin's tongue free, to be stowed securely in an oilcloth pouch.

"Are we done?"

The older assassin unfolded onto the floor, eyes darting towards the open door.

"We're done. Any sign of the guard?"

"Oh, they're probably on their way. But from the screams, I'd put money on them chasing the freelancer before coming up here."

He grunted a laugh.

"Convenient."

Without another word they slipped back onto the roof, crouching in the shadows of the Web.

"Are you ready?"

"You know I hate that thing."

"No, you hadn't mentioned it."

She flashed him a smile.

"Now are you ready?"

"Ready enough."

They shot across the roof in a dead sprint, heading for the edge that looked out of the canyon. Molly's right arm shot out to meet Dacy's left, and they leapt together into the void. There was a sharp hiss as the coiled dart in her gauntlet exploded free, the dull metal clearing the distance between them and the Web in an instant. She felt the satisfying impact of metal against wood a moment later. Her left hand clenched into a fist, and they began to ascend towards that hidden anchor point. Before long, they were safely away from the scene of the crime, and back in the warm embrace of Tidecleft's underworld. Yet despite the welcoming shadows, Molly's shoulders refused to relax, and she found herself pacing on a re-purposed door.

"So...how'd I do?"

Another platform away, Dacy was taking the longest time washing his hands. There were rumors about his personal habits, ranging from religion to madness, but there was no denying the strange beauty of his movements. A beauty Molly realized, with a start, she'd interrupted.

"You love the work. Maybe a little too much. But today was...passible."

He slowly lowered his rag into its bowl of water, and turned towards her with a stony look.

"I'll vouch for you. But you don't survive in this business by letting this guide you."

Two fingers tapped his chest, over his heart.

"Figure that out, and you'll go far."

At once, her tension deflated, and the starry look in her eyes was a ridiculous contrast to her fearsome attire.

"Thank you. I promise, I'll try. It's just...this is everything I've ever wanted."

He finally gave a full laugh, and its raspy chord was still music in her ears.

"Well, a little madness is healthy. I'm off to the Whetstone - buy you a drink?"

"Thanks, but I'll have to take a rain check. I'm meeting someone for lunch."

"Oooh. That bookworm you've been sighing around?"

"I've hardly been sighing. And she's Silverleaf, not some librarian."

"Sure, a Silverleaf Librarian. Can't say I see the appeal."

"Well, you've never seen her."

"Alright, alright. But come by later tonight. We might have something for you. Maybe something big enough for you to entice that new friend of yours."

Molly's eyes bugged out, and she fought to swallow the lump in her throat.

"You mean...that I..."

"Yup. A solo contract, sanctioned and approved by the old woman herself. You've got your shot."

I was old when the pharaohs first mounted
    The jewel-decked throne by the Nile;
    I was old in those epochs uncounted
    When I, and I only, was vile;

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by apocalypsePast2 View Post
    ...one could possibly refer to you guys' elaborate dance of allies-to-enemies-to-suicide-of-the-universe as some sort of weird art form.

If one were on drugs.
    Quote Originally Posted by VonDoom View Post
    Behold, the mighty slayer of strangely coloured mutant equines! The thwarter of forum woes! The! Dark! DM!

5. - Top - End - #95
    Troll in the Playground

The Silverleaf Institute
    Atrasday, Noon

Once again the mousy intern appeared at the entrance to the lab. Now she wore naked annoyance as the day's trails had worn away her normally pleasant and energized veneer. She glanced within, hesitated for a moment as if another disturbance would be unwelcome, then stormed to Everly's workspace with a huff where she deposited an overflowing armful of flowers and packages. Her right heel left a sticky pop as she went. Wordlessly, she fled as quickly as she'd entered, this time lightly hobbling as she tried to favor one foot to little avail.

Taking inventory of the gifts, Everly would find ...
    Spoiler
    Show
    • A note saying only, "To Miss Everly Sinclair" with no mention of a sender.
    • A bouquet of nineteen red roses with a few handfuls of diminutive, white lemon verbena blooms as filler.
    • A three inch tiger figurine carved appropriately from striped flame maple.
    • A stiff wax paper bag with the seal of L'espoir Imports and a scribbled note reading, "2 lbs Breakfast Blend". The coffee beans within smell lightly of caramel.
    • A hand-cranked grinder.
    • A coffee press.
    • An ornate tin from Whitby's Confections containing three equal parts chocolate covered pecans with sea salt, white chocolate dipped cranberries, and pistachio brittle.
    • One bottle of apricot brandy, small enough to be hidden in a desk drawer.
    Last edited by Nefarion Xid; 2018-09-08 at 01:22 AM.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by PepperP. View Post
    The Silverleaf Institute
    Atrasday, Noon

Everly greeted the Constable with visible relief. The last couple hours of waiting with Ruby had been awkward to say the least. Thankfully Hoss had been pleased to visit with his Aunt and Ruby seemed satisfied with his care.

"Constable Vane! Come in, please." She smoothed her already tame hair nervously. She hadn't done anything wrong! She knew this was true and yet her conscious was playing games with her mind.

"Have you met Miss Ruby Bravo? Ruby, this is Constable Vane."

"Pleased to meet you." Ruby didn't seem particularly pleased but did her best to look put-upon.

"Constable..." Everly began.

"I arrived early to work this morning, this being my first regular day back after ah, my father's death." Another case she had called upon for Lilian's aid.

"Shortly after Senna and Duggin arrived, still mid-morning, this large crate was delivered addressed to Senna." She gestured to the large open crate nearby and handed the Constable to delivery note.

"When we opened it, we found Miss Bravo inside, unconscious and bound. We were able to rouse her, fortunately, but she says she doesn't remember how she ended up in the box or why she was delivered to us." Ruby nodded in agreement, a far-away look in her inhuman eyes as though she were trying to sort out her memories.

The Silverleaf Institute
    Atrasday, Noon

"...I have questions."

She noted the scorch marks all over the floor, the dazed waterfront quean, and last but not least the boxful of personal gifts just now left behind for one Everly Sinclair.

"Is everyone here alright? What needed to be incinerated so? Has Miss Bravo done anything illegal that anyone can personally attest to?"

7. - Top - End - #97
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Spoiler: SNIP
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Othniel View Post
    The Gilded Oar,
    Astrasday Morning

The last of Magnus' crew members who went out shot Veridian a withering glare as he ducked out the door.

"Free exams, eh?" Magnus smirked. "You might find a variety of interesting things there, doc."

A few feet away, Jeanette scooped up the coins Rylee had placed on the bar and slid them into a pouch with a wink. She listened to the conversation and nodded when the doctor mentioned Owen. "He isn't that old, mind, but these last months haven't been too kind on him what with the troubles we had here, though that's all I'll be saying on that matter. Thanks to the business at the docks, however, we've had more customers than ever, so we've been able to hire a few more hands. That's saved him from working long hours."

Rylee seemed taken aback at the suggestion that he would be of any use to Owen, a look of mild panic across his face. "Oh no, not me. I am many things, but helpful around a bar as anything other than a busboy is not one of them. I don't know if you got a good look at me..." he quickly explained, leaning back in his stool. With a gesture, he highlighted his form. The blond man, not much older than a boy really, was lean to the point of scrawny. Certainly not in a malnourished sense, his skin was healthy and his eyes extraordinarily bright, but one glance at him and you could tell he was not a combatant. Not in the traditional sense, at least, nor did he carry any indication that magical combat was in his wheelhouse. "Frankly, I probably weigh about as much sopping wet as one of Magnus' legs," he finished, pointing at the large captain without glancing in his direction.

That wasn't to say that Rylee didn't have multiple means at his disposal to take care of himself in a fight. Considering how he made his extra income, it was practically a necessity. However, that also meant he was significantly more inclined to keep his capabilities to himself, especially his magic. He shuddered for a moment, the thought of being dragged off to the College and away from his workshop casting a brief shadow over his mood. Shaking his head, he finished his meal and stood, giving a smile and nod to the good doctor. He checked to ensure Jasper was secure around his shoulders, shook Dr. Stimme's hand, and set out into the city. Pointing his feet in the direction of the Clockwright's Guild, he made his way up by the most public of routes possible.

The Web,
    Astrasday Afternoon

Rylee glanced around the shadows of the Web, dark despite the sun still in the sky. After draining most of his funds setting up to move into the Oar, he found himself once more in the patchwork of the Web, eager to refill his personal coffers. His typical jacket and vest had been exchanged for a long coat, rough and non-descript, and a simple shirt of black. His Clockwright's watch was tucked beneath it in case any proof of his ability to produce quality works was required. A hood obscured his face, covering his golden locks and helping conceal his passing. A heavy leather bag hung at one side, containing a prototype clockbow and Jasper. After all, the ferret was a little too identifiable to be riding on his shoulders in the open air, even down in the Web.

"Yes, you heard me right, Connor. I need more work, I've burned through my coin from the last gadget already." Rylee explained to the scrawny man, tucked into an alley where the two could talk uninterrupted. "Look, I'm just letting you and everyone else know that if they hear of someone needing some custom work done, let me know. I'm going to be renting a room at the Gilded Oar now, so it should be easier to get a message to me there than at my old place up by the Guild. You know my rules, I only make something if I can arrange a meeting with the buyer. Details get lost in translation too often for my kind of work." Rylee explained, the weaselly man dismissing his concerns with a gesture.

"Alright, alright, Becky-boy, I'll let anyone I hear lookin' fer yer kind of work know I can hook 'em up." he said, extending a less-than-kempt palm out. Wordlessly, Rylee dropped a coin into it, rolling his eyes as he did. He came here looking to earn money, not spend it, but he knew how the Web worked. You had to pay to get anything done.

"Thanks, Connor, you're a real pal." Rylee said, sarcasm lacing his voice as he glanced around outside the alley before darting out, making his way from the web back down towards the Waterfront, and his new lodgings at the Gilded Oar. "Gods, I need sleep..." he muttered to himself, one hand dipping into his bag to pet Jasper, grounding himself. The same conversation had already happened with two other buyers, and Rylee was confident that something worth his time would drop across his lap soon enough. For now, he was going to wait, continue his day-to-day work at the Guild, and get some much needed sleep.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Ogre in the Playground

The Silverleaf Institute
    Atrasday, Noon

"Ummmm...."
    Everly stood blushing with her arms crammed with roses and gift-wrapped packages.

"I certainly don't have any charges to press against her. Last I had spoken with Ruby, we had parted ways agreeably. That was merely three months ago." She jostled her gifts over to the desk and spread them out with a clatter.

"Do you agree, Miss Ruby?" She began to unwrap the packages as she spoke.

"Illegal? Charges? I'm the victim here." Ruby scowled above her veil and her odd yellow eyes narrowed alarmingly.

"I've been victimized before today though, somebody has been attacking my holdings and shrinking my influence among the merchant's guild. Probably the same people." Ruby rubbed her head tiredly.

"Why frame us for it, though?" Everly asked off-handedly as her attention was taken by the small coffee grinder she was examining with delight.

"I don't know, I don't recall anything about earlier today or my attackers."

Everly turned to the victim.

"Are you quite sound otherwise?"

"I think so. A bit groggy, but otherwise yes."

"Then I think we're all fine physically, Constable. If a bit bewildered. Ah..." She waved towards the scorch marks on the ground with a box of chocolates.

"I had to rid us of some pests in a hurry. Apparently, cat-sized spiders have taken up residence in Aunt Margrett's bakery. Duggin took some help and went to investigate further. Earlier, he had found the body of a delivery boy full of their eggs, they burst out as we examined the body. It's been quite the morning." She smiled sheepishly and held out the candy.

"Chocolate?"
    Somehow it is nostalgic to see the lewd discussion to return again to EMPIRE game.
    #Notallinfluencers

9. - Top - End - #99
    Bugbear in the Playground

Spoiler: TOTALLY SPOOKY KNIGHT DIALOUGE
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by TechnOkami View Post
    The Silverleaf Institute
    Atrasday Morning

Gerrit stared daggers at Duggin.

"You are mocking me. You will sing a different tume when I've taken care of this minor task."

Gerrit returned the helmet to his head and turned to listen to Senna.

"Understood. I shall return after the task is done. Now, Mr. Blackworm was it? Show me to this bakery."

Gerrit strode to the exit.

Duggin yawned before pointing north. "OOOhhh I'm pretty eager to witness this, pretty sure I'll either be impressed or bisected. North and a couple blocks down from here in the Sunfall district."

As they began to move out Duggin attempted to make some small talk with the ....man..knight...Ghost. "So...um where are ya from"
    Beautiful Avatar thanks to Gengy

Hangs out on the World building forums

Giantitp projects: Caligoven the toxic seas, Baalbek Empire!3, Coatl Empire!4, Short and sweet world building
    Personal stuff: World of Tieg, Nexus: City of the Multiverse, Forgotten Planet Lost Between 2 stars, World of the 9 gates
    Spoiler: The gift that keeps on giving
    Show
    Spoiler: and giving
    Show
    Spoiler: and giving some more
    Show
    Spoiler: Metric tons of giving
    Show
    Spoiler: Keep going
    Show
    Spoiler: Suprise
    Show

10. - Top - End - #100
    Ettin in the Playground

Outside the Institute
    Atrasday Morning

Gerrit did not respond, initially. Instead he walked past Duggin and whistled a high note. At first nothing happened, but a few moments later clopping was heard as what presumably was a horse made its way towards them from around the building. Except it was anything but a horse. A skeletal construct approached gerrit, thick vines and foliage echoing musculature with a large bony protrusion from the back resembling a saddle. Wisps of ghostly energies tumbled forth and disappated back into nothing from where a main and tail would be, and rope entwined from more vines affixed to a bit and bridle. This "horse" strode up to its master, where he affectionately patted her head, and then leapt atop the beast as if this were routine. Gerrit looked down at Duggin high up on his horse.

"Grendelhof, Master Blackworm. I am from Grendelhof, a land many leagues from Tidecleft. It is a long dead mausoleum kingdom to which I am its prince."

He extended his gauntlet.

"Come, we have spider slaughter to get to."

Assuming he accepted his help up behind him, he immediately commented as soon as he was situated.

"I hope you know what the bakery looks like from above. Up, Brünhilde."

The two atop a dead-ish horse began climbing slowly and steadily into the air, high enough above the city to get a good general vantage point.

"Where to, Master Blackworm?"
    I've started streaming again.

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

I started my first campaign outside of an abandoned mine, just as soon as a meteor storm from the moon hits.

11. - Top - End - #101

The Silverleaf Institute
    Atrasday, Noon

Senna's forehead crinkled slightly at Ruby's assertions of innocence, but she held her tongue on the matter of their meeting three months ago on the way to the waterfront. Everly must have her reasons for avoiding the matter, even if it was merely keeping the peace with their "ward's" Aunt. Senna side-eyed Everly holding her gifts, an elaborate display by the duke, undoubtedly. Perhaps to remind her who Everly had ultimately chosen? As if she needed the reminder.

"I suppose head trauma could be cause for your memory problems..." She plucked an offered chocolate from the box and bit into it. Damn it was good. Alden had certainly not skimped on quality.

"Hmm anything else we can think of that might cause amnesia? Even temporarily?" She made a show of crinkling her forehead so that it was obvious she was thinking very hard.

"I know, vampires!" Penelope nearly squealed her answer in her excitement to have something to contribute. Senna smiled at the young woman gratefully.

"Of course! We should have thought of it! Vampires would certainly have reason to target us." Senna's tone was reasonable as Penelope glowed with the praise.

"But that doesn't really answer the question, Why Miss Ruby." She turned her smile upon Everly and raised an arch eyebrow. Who would have reason to both hold a grudge against Ruby and want to frame Senna for it?
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkDM View Post
    God, get it together Mary.
    Thank you to AsteriskAmp for the lovely avatar!

12. - Top - End - #102

Duggin took the knights hand before getting on the spectral "horse." Duggi couldn't help but shiver partly do to the calmy grasp of the knight and partly due to riding on a ghost horse. The entire beast felt so light to the touch Duggin was half convinced he would fall off at any moment. Idle conversation is always a good distraction, well that and refraining from looking down. Huh Grendelhof, I've seen the name in a few manuscripts but that's precious little information. Well if it makes you feel any better years of treasure hunting has taught me all realms turn into mausoleums at some point. Must be hell to persist as long as you have though.

Atfer a few minutes of flight Duggin braved an ensuing panic attack to point out the bakery. There it is, oh gods the webs even on the roof damn it!

Giantitp projects: Caligoven the toxic seas, Baalbek Empire!3, Coatl Empire!4, Short and sweet world building
    Personal stuff: World of Tieg, Nexus: City of the Multiverse, Forgotten Planet Lost Between 2 stars, World of the 9 gates
    Show
    Show
    Show
    Show
    Show
    Show

13. - Top - End - #103
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Spoiler
    Show
    The Silverleaf Institute
    Atrasday, Noon

"Ummmm...."
    Everly stood blushing with her arms crammed with roses and gift-wrapped packages.

"I certainly don't have any charges to press against her. Last I had spoken with Ruby, we had parted ways agreeably. That was merely three months ago." She jostled her gifts over to the desk and spread them out with a clatter.

"Do you agree, Miss Ruby?" She began to unwrap the packages as she spoke.

"Illegal? Charges? I'm the victim here." Ruby scowled above her veil and her odd yellow eyes narrowed alarmingly.

"I've been victimized before today though, somebody has been attacking my holdings and shrinking my influence among the merchant's guild. Probably the same people." Ruby rubbed her head tiredly.

"Why frame us for it, though?" Everly asked off-handedly as her attention was taken by the small coffee grinder she was examining with delight.

"I don't know, I don't recall anything about earlier today or my attackers."

Everly turned to the victim.

"Are you quite sound otherwise?"

"I think so. A bit groggy, but otherwise yes."

"Then I think we're all fine physically, Constable. If a bit bewildered. Ah..." She waved towards the scorch marks on the ground with a box of chocolates.

"I had to rid us of some pests in a hurry. Apparently, cat-sized spiders have taken up residence in Aunt Margrett's bakery. Duggin took some help and went to investigate further. Earlier, he had found the body of a delivery boy full of their eggs, they burst out as we examined the body. It's been quite the morning." She smiled sheepishly and held out the candy.

"Chocolate?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Mary_Sue View Post
    The Silverleaf Institute
    Atrasday, Noon

Senna's forehead crinkled slightly at Ruby's assertions of innocence, but she held her tongue on the matter of their meeting three months ago on the way to the waterfront. Everly must have her reasons for avoiding the matter, even if it was merely keeping the peace with their "ward's" Aunt. Senna side-eyed Everly holding her gifts, an elaborate display by the duke, undoubtedly. Perhaps to remind her who Everly had ultimately chosen? As if she needed the reminder.

"I suppose head trauma could be cause for your memory problems..." She plucked an offered chocolate from the box and bit into it. Damn it was good. Alden had certainly not skimped on quality.

"Hmm anything else we can think of that might cause amnesia? Even temporarily?" She made a show of crinkling her forehead so that it was obvious she was thinking very hard.

"I know, vampires!" Penelope nearly squealed her answer in her excitement to have something to contribute. Senna smiled at the young woman gratefully.

"Of course! We should have thought of it! Vampires would certainly have reason to target us." Senna's tone was reasonable as Penelope glowed with the praise.

"But that doesn't really answer the question, Why Miss Ruby." She turned her smile upon Everly and raised an arch eyebrow. Who would have reason to both hold a grudge against Ruby and want to frame Senna for it?

The Silverleaf Institute
    Atrasday, Noon

"Cat-sized spiders? Hm. I'm glad you're unharmed."

Constable Vane didn't reach for the offered chocolate, lost in thought. Just one more thing to add to the piles on her desk. She wasn't certain what to make of the rest of what she'd just seen: Vane hadn't missed Senna's obvious answer-fishing, her exaggerated expressions a dead giveaway, but she couldn't be sure to what end. Was the answer obvious to the point where the other woman entertained other prospects with sarcasm, or was she missing some key subtext?

"Miss...Senna, yes? Miss Bravo's symptoms are similar to those of vampiric compulsion, though my experience is limited on such matters.

She looks to Everly at that, fumbling for any more useful information. The silver knives concealed on her person thrummed against her chest, waiting for a chance to see their intended use.

"Regardless, I don't believe this is an attempt to frame anybody for anything. If anything, it's more consistent with a warning...albeit a strange one." She wasn't sure what to make of the revelation that Miss Sinclair had a friendly rapport with a known organized crime boss, but she could set that aside for the moment. "At any rate, Miss Bravo, you're not being accused of anything, and you're free to go. Please report to myself or another member of the Guard if you remember anything else about the circumstances that brought you here."

She frowned at that. There simply wasn't anything to be done for it, though.

Spoiler: Plot Ticket: Blood in the Shallows
    Show
    An unknown group of human-looking assailants wreaked havoc in the Lutriscan communities located in Tidecleft's waters two weeks ago. While there were some civilian casualties, the goal of the attack was clearly to send some kind of message, and to loot material assets. Massive quantities of stolen wealth and Lutriscan Pearls have filtered up into the Web's black markets, and Lutriscan business interests in Tidecleft have been seriously wounded. According to rumor, the attack was some sort of retaliation against a wealthy member of the community who managed to cross the Bravos family.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Ogre in the Playground

The Silverleaf Institute
    Atrasday, Noon

Everly's forehead creased slightly as she regarded Senna levelly, glad the blonde had not been so rash as to voice her very obvious suspicions out loud. Everly for one, was quite confident that Alden didn't have anything to do with this. The very idea of him orchestrating a kidnapping made her quite indignant.

"I suppose this may be retaliation for those Wanted posters I put up. They didn't get us many leads, but hopefully it's been an inconvenience to Carmilla to not be able to operate freely." She shifted beneath the Constable's scrutiny, being unhappy to withhold information from the woman that had been such a help to her but unwilling to reveal her lover's secrets.

"When my Uncle Owen was glamoured, Senna brewed a concoction that restored his memory back right away but I do believe it would have returned naturally over a couple of weeks." She glanced at Senna.

"Do you happen to have anymore of it?" She arched an eyebrow as she remembered the night Senna had brought her one of the brews for herself. She shut the thought away before the grief and despair from that night could ambush her, as it had many times since.

Spoiler: Wanted Poster
    Show
    Last edited by PepperP.; 2018-09-18 at 07:45 PM.
    #Notallinfluencers

15. - Top - End - #105

The Silverleaf Institute
    Atrasday, Noon

Senna's smile was tight as she too, recalled the circumstance of their last real meeting until today, wondering if the duke had confessed Senna's failed attempts at seduction.

"I did recently use the last of my verbena to brew up a couple more of those elixirs, yes." She went to one of the many shelves that lined the laboratory walls. The shelves that she had claimed for her own were obvious, neat rows fastidiously organized and labeled. She found what she was looking for quickly and plucked the stoppered vial filled with a pale butter-yellow liquid.

"Here you are." She smiled neutrally at Ruby though her eyes were intent upon Everly.

"This should get us to the bottom of things."

16. - Top - End - #106
    Ogre in the Playground

The Silverleaf Institute
    Atrasday, Noon

"The sooner I find out who did this to me, the better. I want them to pay." Ruby's yellow eyes narrowed before she remembered the Constable.

"To the fullest extent of the law, of course." She muttered as an afterthought.

Everly watched as Ruby took the vial from Senna and downed its contents after sniffing it cautiously.

"Well, do you remember anything?" Everly forced her hands still after she noticed she'd been wringing them anxiously.

"Mmm..." Ruby began noncommittally before her yellow eyes suddenly widened.

"I remember a woman. Small and freakishly quick. She was savage." She looked around the lab warily as though suddenly frightened. Everly popped off of the sofa and rummaged through a stack of papers on her desk, she was much less organized than Senna.

"Ah, here look at this." She waved one of Carmilla's wanted posters in front of Ruby's face.

"Was this her?" She pointed at Carmilla. Ruby stared intently at the drawing for a moment.

"I'm not sure." She shook her head.

"I think maybe mine had dark hair? And she didn't seem as fancy as this one." Everly frowned at the portrait.

"She could have died her hair. Many older vampires do to disguise themselves."

Ruby closed her eyes in dejected fatigue.

"I don't know, maybe." She sounded dubious and Everly finally registered the woman's sorry condition beyond her addled mind.

"I'm sorry, we should have called for a doctor first thing." She flushed with shame that she hadn't thought of it before.

"We'll get Doctor Stimme to see you, on the Institute's bill, of course." Everly handed the poster to Constable Vane.

"Carmilla was the ringleader of the attack on the Gilded Oar." She reminded the Constable.

"I haven't had any luck locating her, but I haven't heard a thing from her since either." She shrugged.

"Not that I've had the chance to look very hard since..." She didn't bring up her father's death but she could feel it looming over her like a dark cloud. She shrugged it off.

"She may have dyed her hair dark to throw us off."
    Last edited by PepperP.; 2018-09-19 at 04:18 PM.
    #Notallinfluencers

17. - Top - End - #107
    Ogre in the Playground

Harrowmont's Soup Kitchen Basement, Astrasday Noon

The imp returned, skittered down through the closed window popping pustules on its way. Its time was almost come to bursting, and its task was still incomplete. It flew as fast as its failing body could to Harrowmont, and the tall gangly man caught the misshapen creature as gingerly as one would a butterfly. He put the creature next to his ear, and it started whispering secrets, the moths fluttering by only heard bits and pieces.

"I saw that she has silken hair...
    "Found her teachers giving instructio...
    "She walked the halls with purpose, yet a spring in her step-
    "She will surprise everyone tomorro...
    "You must hurry...

With that, Harrowmont started to clench his hand in a fist, but the creature protested. Harrowmont, curious, allowed the creature to whisper once more.

Man, yet not...
    A Spider spindling a web of deception...
    Assassin...
    He could help...

Harrowmont nodded, and squished the creature, this time with no protest. This strange Man Spider he heard it describe was interesting, and could indeed help him with his plans. According to his servitor, he also did not have much time. He quickly wrote a letter to the this strange Man Spider, created a servitor with the sole purpose of delivering this letter, and then he went fast on horseback to his hovel, his Barony of McTier, where his lord did rest far below the surface. He wished he had enough time before tomorrow...

The Skies Above Tidecleft, Astrasday Noon

The new imp flew with purpose, looking at the streets of Tidecleft for the man that fit the previous homunculi's description. It would not rest until it found this creature, and delivered its letter.
    "I'M just a guy with a boomerang... I didn't ask for all this flying... and MAGIC!!!" -Sokka

Quote Originally Posted by Wuff View Post
    the biggest nerd ever who transforms into BEAR is of course alluring.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Troll in the Playground

Skies over Tidecleft Atrasday noon
    The homunculi will see a web shrouded building in the skyways. Perhaps this "Auntie Margret's Bakery" would be a good place to search?

My Nexus characters

19. - Top - End - #109
    Ogre in the Playground

Auntie Margret's Bakery, Astrasday Noon

The homunculi flies down to the strange web encrusted hovel, and creeps through a window.
    "I'M just a guy with a boomerang... I didn't ask for all this flying... and MAGIC!!!" -Sokka

20. - Top - End - #110
    Ettin in the Playground

Outside the Institute
    Atrasday Morning

"...you were not exaggerating on how bad the infestation was. Down, Brünhilde."

Duggin, if he had the capacity to notice past his minor breakdown, would notice that their downward approach and their riding through the air was a slow one. Indeed, though the beast could likely move more quickly on land, she was only going at a slow trot through the air, her hoof falls accompanied by the sound of tinkling bells and glass when they landed on the air. Eventually though they landed before the more or less cocooned bakery. Gerrit leapt from the horse and summoned the sword-spear to his side, and quite promptly began hacking his way through the webbing which barred him from the door. He kept his weapon spinning about, letting the momentum of the blade chip away slowly at the webbing without allowing the sword-spear to get caught in the gossamer.
    I've started streaming again.

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

I started my first campaign outside of an abandoned mine, just as soon as a meteor storm from the moon hits.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Spoiler
    Show
    The Silverleaf Institute
    Atrasday, Noon

"The sooner I find out who did this to me, the better. I want them to pay." Ruby's yellow eyes narrowed before she remembered the Constable.

"To the fullest extent of the law, of course." She muttered as an afterthought.

Everly watched as Ruby took the vial from Senna and downed its contents after sniffing it cautiously.

"Well, do you remember anything?" Everly forced her hands still after she noticed she'd been wringing them anxiously.

"Mmm..." Ruby began noncommittally before her yellow eyes suddenly widened.

"I remember a woman. Small and freakishly quick. She was savage." She looked around the lab warily as though suddenly frightened. Everly popped off of the sofa and rummaged through a stack of papers on her desk, she was much less organized than Senna.

"Ah, here look at this." She waved one of Carmilla's wanted posters in front of Ruby's face.

"Was this her?" She pointed at Carmilla. Ruby stared intently at the drawing for a moment.

"I'm not sure." She shook her head.

"I think maybe mine had dark hair? And she didn't seem as fancy as this one." Everly frowned at the portrait.

"She could have died her hair. Many older vampires do to disguise themselves."

Ruby closed her eyes in dejected fatigue.

"I don't know, maybe." She sounded dubious and Everly finally registered the woman's sorry condition beyond her addled mind.

"I'm sorry, we should have called for a doctor first thing." She flushed with shame that she hadn't thought of it before.

"We'll get Doctor Stimme to see you, on the Institute's bill, of course." Everly handed the poster to Constable Vane.

"Carmilla was the ringleader of the attack on the Gilded Oar." She reminded the Constable.

"I haven't had any luck locating her, but I haven't heard a thing from her since either." She shrugged.

"Not that I've had the chance to look very hard since..." She didn't bring up her father's death but she could feel it looming over her like a dark cloud. She shrugged it off.

"She may have dyed her hair dark to throw us off."

The Silverleaf Institute
    Atrasday, Noon

Ruby's less-than-completely-honest assertions of legal propriety coaxed a sigh from the Constable, who did not dignify it with any further response. Instead she listened closely to the new testimony, considering all the while. Everly shoved a wanted poster into her hands: Carmilla Petrescu. The name wasn't familiar to her, though this wasn't the first such poster she'd seen.

"No, I don't think so. I know far less about this Carmilla than I would like, but the attackers at the Gilded Oar chose to sedate those present with magic. There were no particular signs of a struggle until the altercation at the back door, suggesting that our foe has little need to subdue their victims with violence. It's more likely that this villain is a heretofore unknown member of that group, whether newly-arrived or freshly-recruited."

She let those words hang in the air a moment.

"...Or, perhaps, something unrelated. Miss Sinclair, I would like to pick your brain on the subject at a later time, in private if you don't mind. It's clear that you've acquired information that my own investigation has yet to turn up."

22. - Top - End - #112
    Ettin in the Playground

The Silverleaf Institute
    Atrasday, Noon

For all its dangers, the Web did have its share of virtues. It had taken no time at all for Molly to change out of her official costume and into something more presentable, the slick red leather and sharp edges of the Harpy folded neatly into a satchel at her side. Then it was but a quick climb to one of the Web's highest anchor-points on the Prince Gregory Skybridge. From there, she could enjoy a leisurely walk to the Silverleaf Institute, disappearing into the pedestrian anonymity of one of Tidecleft's better neighborhoods. It was not the first time she'd visited in the past three months, and she strode through the freshly engraved double doors with the confidence of someone who belonged. She vaguely recognized the blonde secretary, though she couldn't recall ever seeing the woman so flustered before.

"Don't get up, I know the way to Laboratory Five."

She gave a friendly wave before sweeping past the reception desk, leaving Bliss little time to respond.

"Another one? Miss Sinclair not back and day and already..."

Something clicked in her mind.

"Wait a minute, miss. Miss! You're not allowed to just walk in!"

Sadly, Molly had the hardest time hearing the protestations as they faded into the distance, her well-honed sense of place leading her along plush carpets and dark wood paneling towards the room she sought. She paused only once, at the sight of the strangest spider on the wall of a spiral staircase. The two predators locked eyes, but before the spider realized the danger Molly's hand was in motion, darting out to catch it between thumb and forefinger. Taking care to keep its fangs well away from anything tender, she gave the arachnid a critical stare.

"Well aren't you a strange one. I wonder if Senna's ever seen the like?"

She resumed her descent, wriggling prize held firmly as she began to hum a lilting tune. She swept through the door to the lab with a flourish, presenting the spider before her.

"Sen, dear, would you..."

She paused, taking in the oddness of the scene. A constable. The Sinclair whore. Another woman. And Ruby Bravo.

"Well, my spider seems a bit less impressive now. Still, I've never seen its like."

She held the writhing thing up towards Senna.

"Better than flowers though, eh? Have you been letting Ruby Bravo hide out down here? Small wonder, with that mad slasher dropping bodies all through the waterfront."

For a moment, she remembered her manners and directed a curtsy towards the forlorn crimelord.

"Miss Bravo."

Spoiler
    Show
    ...one could possibly refer to you guys' elaborate dance of allies-to-enemies-to-suicide-of-the-universe as some sort of weird art form.

If one were on drugs.
    Behold, the mighty slayer of strangely coloured mutant equines! The thwarter of forum woes! The! Dark! DM!

23. - Top - End - #113
    Ettin in the Playground

Atrasday Morning

Alice wasn't so sure about dismissing the Carmilla woman, but if Alden was certain that it was all under control, there had to be a reason. Instead, she eagerly sat next to him, snuggling into his reach in a moment of daring. "Whatever ye likes, 'cous. Who is Debue an' why are we tauntin' her?"
    Amazing Zealot avatar by Elder Tsofu.

24. - Top - End - #114

The Silverleaf Institute
    Atrasday, Noon

"Molly..." Senna blinked in surprise at the appearance of her lover. Her eyes briefly went to Everly to gauge her reaction. She wasn't displeased to have a counter to the duke's ostentatious display of gifts she had been forced to witness.

"Everything happened so fast, I hadn't gotten a chance to save one for study. Well done!" She praised the statuesque woman as she rushed to collect the wriggling spider in a glass jar. She stoppered it with a cork and peered at it through the glass.

"That should keep it." She placed the specimen on her desk but turned, frowning as Molly greeted Ruby.

"The Mad Slasher? You mean the vampire? What do you know about her?" She poured herself some tea from the pot she had made and leaned against the desk.

"We aren't harbouring her." She waved her cup at the crimestress.

"She was delivered to us, ostensibly on the Mad Slasher's behalf. Odd behaviour for a slasher, wouldn't you agree?" She raised an eyebrow as she spoke her wonderings out loud.

Penelope had been looking back and forth from Senna to Molly as though trying to glean the details of their relationship. She cocked her head at Molly as though looking at something invisible around her and then back to Ruby and back to Molly. She mentally shrugged. There was still so much she didn't understand about her power!

"Oh hi! I'm Penelope, Penelope Van Horne! It's nice to meet you, Molly?" Penelope chirped at the woman happily, assuming that her presence here denoted some sort of shared academic interest.

"I just got assigned to the Vampire division." She somehow managed to simultaneously beam proudly and shrug modestly.

"I haven't met any vampires yet, but I can't wait!" She continued to gush enthusiastically as if Molly had asked her life story.

"I've got a lot to learn, but with Everly as my mentor I just know I'll get the hang of things! What's your field?"

25. - Top - End - #115
    Troll in the Playground

Atrasday Morning

Nothing was under control. Alden would have ulcers were it a physiologically possibility.

He favored Alice with a peck on the forehead, then cradled her into his chest. The throw pillow quickly returned to hide his face from the sun. One arm draped over her shoulders as he gingerly combed through her damp hair to work out the remaining tangles. The languid affection betrayed nothing of his racing mind. Stefania had been careful to keep Alistair at arms length when it came to the most arcane of her workings. He knew more of blood magic than the best informed books in the Silverleaf archives. Seventy years of unlife had taught him a comparable treasure trove of damnable secrets, but compared to the clan matriarch, his education was superficial, skin deep.

A sharp inhale jostled Alice's head. Sudden insight had pierced the duke's placid facade.

"Alice, would you like to join me on an outing?" It wasn't a request. He lifted his head head from the armrest to look down at her.

"I've heard that there is a man in Camellia Court. Something of an open secret among the aristocracy. A physician of sorts. He's the man you go to when your darling sixteen year old daughter and viscountess hasn't grown into the disturbingly aquiline nose she inherited from your grandfather." He tapped the bridge of his own nose, suddenly a bit self-conscious about the width.

"I had dismissed it as vicious rumor before. No small part of it was aimed at Everly. But, if there were such a man who operated apart from the Physicians' Guild, doesn't it seem likely that he's a blood mage? I think we'd better pay him a visit. Perhaps he can tutor us on the finer points of Stefania's craft?"
    Last edited by Nefarion Xid; 2018-09-23 at 04:06 PM.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Ettin in the Playground

The Silverleaf Institute
    Atrasday, Noon

Wriggling her fingers to brush off the spider's lingering bristles, Molly smiled at Senna's excitement. Trust her professor to treat poisonous vermin the way lesser women would flowers. However, when Senna began questioning her knowledge of the Bravos' nemesis, she could only shrug.

"I only know what the rumor mill's been whispering. Something about a tiny monster cutting a swath through Bravo associates while the guard is too busy worrying about the war."

She finally acknowledged the presence of the constable, dipping her head the way she'd seen other people do to show respect.

"Meaning no offence. There's not much really known - only that anyone doing business with Ruby Bravo had best double lock their doors. Though..."

She paused, arguing with herself whether the detail was even worth mentioning.

"Some of the stories swear the slasher has a funny accent."

She spread her hands.

"Sorry I can't be of more help."

Then, from nowhere, the one woman she didn't recognize launched into a bubbly introduction. There was something strangely familiar about her, though Molly couldn't place what.

"Well, congratulations! It must be exciting, chasing after monsters who prey on the innocent. Nothing like my apprenticeship."

Her smile was broad.

"But I just came to spirit Senna off to lunch. I'm Molly."
    Last edited by TheDarkDM; 2018-09-23 at 05:15 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

If one were on drugs.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Ogre in the Playground

The Silverleaf Institute
    Atrasday, Noon

Ruby's eyes gleamed maniacally for a brief second as she nodded at the newcomer's acknowledgment.

"If she had wanted me dead, she had her chance." Her expression left no doubt that she believed the slasher would come to regret her mercy, if that's what it had been.

"Well apparently my presence in your merchant's office was noted by somebody and I became one of your known associates." Everly spoke idly as she found a vase for her roses. She certainly didn't think a spider was better than flowers. Still, she kept her tone neutral as she addressed Molly.

"You were a help, actually. You've just confirmed our Slasher to be of foreign descent which makes my suspicions of her being the vampire Carmilla even more plausible." Her expression towards the woman warmed slightly as she continued.

"Not only that, I now have a lead on where to search for her." She regarded Lilian once again.

"Constable Vane, let's meet and go over the details again. Are you free tomorrow?"
    #Notallinfluencers

28. - Top - End - #118

Duggin, just barely having the capacity to not fall off this weightless flying "horse," was truly fascinated by the creature. Though he could only wonder why the hooves made sounds as they descended. Thankfully Duggin was acclimated enough to only stumble of the ephemeral horse instead of say, breaking a leg, plus he had the wherewithal to respond to Gerit.

Duggin let out a hollow laugh while withdrawing his knife. No I was very much exaggerating, but hey I guess fate is a fan of one upping haahhah.

Noticing Gerrit begin to cut through the web with great efficiency was a stark contrast to Duggin repeatedly having to peel web from his knife. First he has a flying horse and now a no stick sword...this Grendlehof place must be loaded. Damn the stuffs even thicker too.
    Last edited by Lleban; 2018-09-23 at 08:40 PM.

Show
    Show
    Show
    Show
    Show
    Show

29. - Top - End - #119
    Troll in the Playground

Auntie Margret's Bakery, Atrasday, Noon.

The webs are cut away from the door, and it would appear to be unlocked. Below, in the basement, Leressan Terrks feels the strands of his web. "They're here... " The Homunculi is able to slip in through a partially open window, but the room beyond is so choked with webs, it will have to continue on foot.

My Nexus characters

30. - Top - End - #120
    Ogre in the Playground

Auntie Margret's Bakery, Atrasday Noon

The small creature flutters to the ground, and starts to creep deeper into the maze of webs.