New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: RSS Feed

1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default RSS Feed

For the last few months, the RSS feed for OOTS has been acting weird. Every time there is a new comic, some of the older comics also show up as new. Also, occasionally some old comics will be marked as new even when there is no new comic.
    Here is a picture of the problem:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ol-...ew?usp=sharing
    I'm using the Feedbro addon for Firefox. It seems to handle all my other feeds fine.
    Last edited by bbgun06; 2018-08-02 at 01:19 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: RSS Feed

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Sounds like a feed reader problem, not a RSS problem. It works fine for me on Feedly.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by bbgun06 View Post
    For the last few months, the RSS feed for OOTS has been acting weird. Every time there is a new comic, some of the older comics also show up as new. Also, occasionally some old comics will be marked as new even when there is no new comic
    What rss address are you using? There is two (the old one and the new one), and the old one has been reported to have this issue before.

Grey Wolf
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

The link I have is http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots.rss
    I don't see any other URL, so I assume that it's new.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by bbgun06 View Post
    The link I have is http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots.rss
    I don't see any other URL, so I assume that it's new.
    It seems that it is a known issue for some RSS readers:
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    Hi,

I don't know what, specifically, is happening with your reader, but I have some general answers. The website currently puts all entries into the rss feed, not just the latest few items. This causes issues with several readers and may be the reason you're experiencing this. This is not something we can change without changing the website, which we intend to do... eventually. So this will not happen for a while.

Other than that potential reason, this is not something the website is doing. The rss feed is generated once and left that way, it would not be changing every few hours.

We apologise for the inconvenience.
    Scouring similar threads, you may want to try subscribing to the twitter RSS for Rich:
    http://api.twitter.com/1/statuses/user_timeline.rss?screen_name=richburlew

Grey Wolf
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I showed the problem to the Freedbro developer and this is his response.
    Hello,

The problem is the feed. If you look at the XML source: view-source:http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots.rss you'll notice that the feed entries don't have time stamps (<pubDate> tag) which are required for RSS 2.0 feeds (feed claims to be one).

Also the feed seems to have well over 1000 entries! (from the beginning of time). If you delete any of the articles you have loaded before, those will be loaded again because Feedbro can't tell whether the articles is new or old (because there are no timestamps in entries).

The site admin should fix the feed and make it RSS 2.0 compliant and only include maybe 20 latest articles in the feed. Not the whole history.

Dev
    So I guess I'll just have to wait until Rawhide fixes the website. Thanks for everyone's help.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomePirate

I have the same problem, but I just thought I would post the link to the W3C validation which matches the other comment by feedbro and has a few other minor issues
    https://validator.w3.org/feed/check....ics%2Foots.rss
    It's been a problem for the last 20 or so comics
    (Also for others that come this way IFTTT has nice script to link to Gmail etc )
    And a big thanks to the people that do all the work

9. - Top - End - #9
    Firbolg in the Playground

I also have this problem with feedbro (it also happens with Scandinavia and the World).
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

10. - Top - End - #10
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

No one currently working on the site was involved in the creation of the current Content Management System (CMS) which generates the RSS feed. While it would be technically possible to fix the issue, it was decided that there would be no change to how it currently operates until deployment of a new CMS.

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak