New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Monster hunting in the Playground!

Barring the connection issues (and they are a huge issue) the pc port is bloody fantastic. Though I can definitely say that the game will need more monsters than the current roster. There don't seem to be enough atm.
    Awesome FE sprites done by Penguinator

My Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

My characters

Spoiler
    Show

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by huttj509 View Post
    Also, are investigations basically just "self targeted quests," so instead of hunting for a quest that involves a monster you want you can pull up an investigation that gives good rewards for it and do that?
    Yep. You'll pick up Investigations randomly while on other missions, by doing things like killing small monsters, breaking parts off large monsters, picking up tracks, etc. You'll get some ones like "slay 12 Gajau (the aggressive catfish creatures in the Wildspire Waste near Jyuratodus's location)" that are probably not worth doing, but most will be to either hunt or capture a large monster.

There are a lot of variations - some will only give 30 or even 15 minutes to complete, or limit you to a max of 2 players, or allow more or fewer faints before failing the mission. And then there are some where you have to beat two or even three monsters within the time limit.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    Work is the scourge of the gaming classes!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    Neither Evershifting List of Perfectly Prepared Spells nor Grounds to Howl at the DM If I Ever Lose is actually a wizard class feature.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Velaryon View Post
    Yep. You'll pick up Investigations randomly while on other missions, by doing things like killing small monsters, breaking parts off large monsters, picking up tracks, etc. You'll get some ones like "slay 12 Gajau (the aggressive catfish creatures in the Wildspire Waste near Jyuratodus's location)" that are probably not worth doing, but most will be to either hunt or capture a large monster.

There are a lot of variations - some will only give 30 or even 15 minutes to complete, or limit you to a max of 2 players, or allow more or fewer faints before failing the mission. And then there are some where you have to beat two or even three monsters within the time limit.
    To add to this, investigations will also sometimes have boosts to certain gathering nodes, such as mining or flowers or beetles or whatever.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Resileaf View Post
    To add to this, investigations will also sometimes have boosts to certain gathering nodes, such as mining or flowers or beetles or whatever.
    I forgot about those, so thanks for mentioning.

Investigations are good for when you need more pieces from a particular monster, or just need to build up stronger gear before you can progress the next story mission. Need more thunder resistance to beat Kirin? Grind a bunch of Tobi-Kadachi investigations to make some armor with better resistance. Need a good water weapon for a certain monster? Grind some Jyuratodus investigations til you can finish upgrading one that meets your needs.
    Neither Evershifting List of Perfectly Prepared Spells nor Grounds to Howl at the DM If I Ever Lose is actually a wizard class feature.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ettin in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Resileaf View Post
    I've been upgrading the hunter armor since the beginning, and I'm now at the quest where you have to trap the walking volcano. Haven't had much trouble yet, but I suppose that's because it's a good all-around armor with no weaknesses or strengths to speak of.
    You're still early. You may find the need to forge/upgrade some different armor as you get closer to the end of Low Rank. That's fine - it won't take that many materials, you should have extras from assigned/optional quests, and you could make a decent patchy set of gear in Low Rank without every grinding.

And if you do need those parts for an upgrade later on, it'll be super quick to get them since you'll be a bit overgeared by the time you come back to them.
    "Gosh 2D8HP, you are so very correct (and also good looking)"

6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground

So what's everybody's weapons of choice? I've been rolling with the Hammer for a while, but looking at crafting a good Insect Glaive as well.

Dunno if it'll be more satisfying than knocking a monster so hard it forgets its momma's name, but it looks fun.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    So what's everybody's weapons of choice? I've been rolling with the Hammer for a while, but looking at crafting a good Insect Glaive as well.

Dunno if it'll be more satisfying than knocking a monster so hard it forgets its momma's name, but it looks fun.
    What's satisfying is using explosive shots on a bowgun and dodging the monster as it dives head first into your proximity bombs at juuuuuuuuuuuuuuuust the right moment. "Hey guys, I made diablos horns!"

Also the only way minigun mode on HBGs could feel better is if they gave your character a cigar while your shooting.

Will warn you, bowguns get really, really fiddly with optimization for recoil/reload/range and your dodge game has to be on point.

I also enjoy spinning to win with hammers.
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

8. - Top - End - #38
    Titan in the Playground

Not a fan of the spinny move. Uppercut into combo is where it's at, Bang them Bigly while they're down and you're gold. Spin move is unreliable and feels like it's only there to punish you for charging for too long, or whacking the monster a bunch when they're temporarily resting because you tired them out.

Unless you mean the sliding attack, in which case: yes.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

Always used longsword as my main. Yeah, I know, I am such a weeb...

Used to also used greatsword and hammer in tri, but I think I'll just focus on building my ls collection for now.
    Awesome FE sprites done by Penguinator

My Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

My characters

Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #40
    Bugbear in the Playground

Devil

I can use every weapon but my favorite are Charge Blade, Gunlance, and Hunting Horn, in that order.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ettin in the Playground

I really, really want to learn how to make bowguns work well. It seems to take so long to actually kill stuff, though.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ogre in the Playground

In order of how much I use them, my weapons of choice are: insect glaive, hammer, bow, switch axe.

Insect glaive is tons of fun! To get the most out of it, I recommend when nurturing a kinsect that you prioritize its speed over all else, to make it easiest to grab the buffs you need.

You probably won't feel like you're doing as much damage as you do with the hammer, but in trade you get unparalleled mobility, way more chances to mount, and the relative safety of often being outside the radius of a lot of monster attacks because you're busy flying all around its body stabbing it a dozen times.

Not a fan of the spinny move. Uppercut into combo is where it's at, Bang them Bigly while they're down and you're gold. Spin move is unreliable and feels like it's only there to punish you for charging for too long, or whacking the monster a bunch when they're temporarily resting because you tired them out.

Unless you mean the sliding attack, in which case: yes.
    Are you aware that you can interrupt the spinning attack with a hammer uppercut? Once I figured that out it really cut down on the "flailing at empty air" problem. The spin move is a big part of my arsenal against enemies that move around too much to get the longer stationary combos off.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Titan in the Playground

You can, but there's still a TON of end lag to deal with. Not saying it's never useful, but you're COMMITTED for a solid 2 seconds minimum once you start, which can give the monster a free hit.
    Last edited by Rynjin; 2018-08-17 at 06:37 PM.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

I havn't touched MHW for a while, but I was a dual-blades main, supplementing with hammer and bow when I didn't have the right element.

Insect glaive is a lot of fun, but there's an art to GITTING GUD at it, as opposed to my thing where's it's an endless game of "how long can I airjuggle myself?"

You can, but there's still a TON of end lag to deal with. Not saying it's never useful, but you're COMMITTED for a solid 2 seconds minimum once you start, which can give the monster a free hit.
    Can confirm, spinny hammer will get you hit a lot unless you use the cancel well.
    What you really want as a hammer user is an opportunity to go nuts with O-button spam. A full combo of that on the head will ruin basically anything's day.
    Sliding attack with hammer is also second to none: it would be second to dual-blade's slide attack, but I find the latter is super inconsistent in landing the full Levi-spin.
    Also you want to use the circle+R1 charge as much as possible, but as you can charge that while moving it's not a big issue.
    Can't write. Can't plan. Can draw a little.
    Quote Originally Posted by Craft (Cheese) View Post
    "In his free time, he gates in Balors just so he can kill and eat them later!"

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ogre in the Playground

This hasn't been my experience that often. Rather than getting hit by the monster, what usually happens to me is the monster moves out of my range before the attack animation ends. I really wish the hammer had just a bit wider attack range, as it feels like I just about have to crawl inside the monsters to hit them sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by Doorhandle View Post
    Can confirm, spinny hammer will get you hit a lot unless you use the cancel well.
    What you really want as a hammer user is an opportunity to go nuts with O-button spam. A full combo of that on the head will ruin basically anything's day.
    Sliding attack with hammer is also second to none: it would be second to dual-blade's slide attack, but I find the latter is super inconsistent in landing the full Levi-spin.
    Also you want to use the circle+R1 charge as much as possible, but as you can charge that while moving it's not a big issue.
    Yep, spamming that combo is a good way to deal hilarious amounts of damage. The problem is it requires monsters to more or less stay still for an awfully long time, and so it usually only comes up when they're stunned, and then only if you begin pretty much immediately.
    Sliding/jumping attack is wonderful. Creating more opportunities to use it is probably the single biggest area in which I need to improve with the hammer.
    Does charging your hammer multiple times stack? I've never been able to tell.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ogre in the Playground

Picked this up a couple of weeks ago, I've been having a lot of fun with the gunlance (Explosions everywhere...) to the point where it's been my go-to game for light gameplay for 20mins. World is beautiful, creatures are great, and my palico is a wonderful companion (I particularly enjoy playing with my cat who I named my Palico after sleeping on me)
    Currently hunting down a strange rathian-like creature. Looking forward to seeing what it is.