New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Any upcoming Sci-Fi games that I should look into?

Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    How do you feel about the Halo series?

The (human-made) AIs in the Halo setting are good, but quite limited in their own ways; FTL is accomplished by outright cheating and finding a loophole with which to ignore the rules, rather than bend or break them via sheer power; and bullet-using humans spend most of their time getting their a**es kicked by aliens with energy guns.
    I have a love hate thing with Halo.

On one hand, I love how basically humanity gets beat up because we bring 20th century weaponry to a 26th century battle. and get stomped because of it.

The other hand, I loathe how Halo is one half of the reason games are atrocious now. Focused on multiplayer and not an engaging storyline and a non 90 -120 minute single player campaign.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ngilop View Post
    The other hand, I loathe how Halo is one half of the reason games are atrocious now. Focused on multiplayer and not an engaging storyline and a non 90 -120 minute single player campaign.
    The original Halo had a pretty solid campaign - I don't know how the rest of them went, though I do know that Reach at least isn't 90-120 minutes outside of speedruns, which are routinely an order of magnitude faster than normal play, if not more.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

Do remember the team that made the first 3 halos got out to make their own company and ended up making Destiny (2). The Halo rights stayed with Microsoft that had other people work in the sequels.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by deuterio12 View Post
    Do remember the team that made the first 3 halos got out to make their own company and ended up making Destiny (2).
    Which has worse combat design than original Halo. I blame the RPG nonsense.
    Last edited by warty goblin; 2018-08-12 at 08:05 AM.
    Blood-red were his spurs i' the golden noon; wine-red was his velvet coat,
    When they shot him down on the highway,
    Down like a dog on the highway,
    And he lay in his blood on the highway, with the bunch of lace at his throat.

Alfred Noyes, The Highwayman, 1906.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ngilop View Post
    I own Halo 1 and 2, and have played 4 and ODST on friends' machines. The only one I've done multiplayer on is Halo 1, and then only a tiny bit.

IMO, Halo 1 has an amazing campaign. So great that I've played through it enough times to practically do it with my eyes closed by now

Halo 2's campaign is also really good. It fixed a few of Halo 1's flaws and added some new mechanics, but also added a couple of annoying bits (*grumble grumble stupid Jackal snipers grumble grumble*). It's almost (although not quite) as good as Halo 1's campaign.

Halo 4's campaign was not bad. I respect what they tried to do with the storyline, and give them an 'A' for effort, but it's still not-Bungie trying to be Bungie.

ODST was an interesting take on things, both mechanically (by having you play a "mere" elite shock trooper, instead of a literal superhuman) and in how they did the campaign/story structure. The voice acting being a Firefly reunion was also fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    Girlfriend and Parents: Why do you spend so much money on that stuff?
    Me: Would you rather I spent all my money on alcohol like others in my peer group?
    G&P: You keep spending as much money as you want!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bossing Around Mad Cats for Fun and Profit: Let's Play MechCommander 2!

Kicking this LP into overdrive: Let's Play StarCraft 2!

6. - Top - End - #36
    Firbolg in the Playground

Not an FPS, but if you're interested in a realistic near-future sci-fi tactical space combat game, Children of a Dead Earth is pretty damn cool. It's based all on actual scientific papers exploring the possibilities of these different technologies, so only things with proven science. Orbital mechanics and drones and battleships that look like cigars. Even just reading the developers developers blogs are pretty sweet
    Steampunk GwynSkull by DR. BATH

"Live to the point of tears"
    - Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by Wyntonian View Post
    What. Is. This. Madness.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

I have a vastly different opinion of Halo's campaign, mostly considering it was literally only half a game that you just played in reverse once you hit the end. The later Halo games had a bit more of a campaign, though I have no idea how anybody could spend more than a couple of hours on any of them ( I'm cutting out cutscene time since it is not actualy playable campaign time; if you add cutscenes that is like what another 45 minutes?)

I can say while it is not a FPS, Anthem looks to be a very interesting game coming out, depending on if it is going to be pay for the game or subscription based.

There are a ton of 'sci-fi horror' games coming out but that is something I am 100% not interested in at all.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateCaptain

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Driderman View Post
    No, dark souls: In SPAAACE! is not something I am interested in. personally I do not see the interest that dark souls gathered and all the dark soul clone that have spawned in the last few years. Just not a game style I am interested in.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateGirl

Not sure it exactly fits, and it's not exactly low-profile, but Metroid Prime 4 is apparently going to be a thing..?
    I write a horror blog in my spare time.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Barbarian in the Playground

Stellaris has an overhaul patch slated.
    Battlefleet: Gothic: Armada: 2: The Colon: The Revenge of the Colon is slated for later this year.
    Prey 2017 isn't upcoming, but I thought it was a superb System Shock remake.
    Age of Wonders devs have announced Age of Wonders: Planetfall, which seems like it will be a scifi version of AoW but possibly still using ballistic weapons, oh well.

Edit:
    OH, and I do myself a disservice; Subnautica was the best game I have played in the past year or three, and while it's already out, the devs are making an expansion of some sort for it.
    Last edited by Kane; 2018-08-20 at 04:43 PM.
    "Simon Ten Broek loves to draw attention;
    Simon Ten Broek spent years in bleak detention;
    Simon Ten Broek, with crimes too vile to mention;
    Simon Ten Broek won't live to see his pension."

10:07 PM [Matthias] And the Kohr-Ah are all "GIT THEM DUKE BOYS!"

12. - Top - End - #42
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kane View Post
    OH, and I do myself a disservice; Subnautica was the best game I have played in the past year or three, and while it's already out, the devs are making an expansion of some sort for it.
    Subnautica was beautiful, I had a lot of fun with it. It is decidedly not a FPS game, though, and while there's technically combat the gameplay strongly discourages it& - it's a first-person survival/exploration game. If that sounds potentially interesting I definitely second the recommendation.

*probably because picking a fight with an shark is a pretty dumb thing for a castaway to do
    Last edited by The_Snark; 2018-08-22 at 12:58 AM.
    Avatar by GryffonDurime. Thanks!

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The_Snark View Post
    Subnautica was beautiful, I had a lot of fun with it. It is decidedly not a FPS game, though, and while there's technically combat the gameplay strongly discourages it& - it's a first-person survival/exploration game. If that sounds potentially interesting I definitely second the recommendation.

*probably because picking a fight with an shark is a pretty dumb thing for a castaway to do
    Bonus points because you can customize the survival needs so if you think the game's too harsh in some aspect you can fit it to your preferences and better enjoy the underwater world.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Spamalot in the Playground

I'm (very, very) cautiously optimistic for Anthem. It will either be Bioware's roaring comeback, or the final nail in their coffin.

@OP: If you want to avoid a lot of confusion and arguing over what constitutes sci-fi, just pick the degree on the Scale that you're looking for and we can all calibrate accordingly.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ogre in the Playground

the scale is kinda difficult for me to determine because 1) I have no idea what most of those examples are like 2) id rather soft sci fi than hard because I want to play a game and be entertained NOT be like OH well that totally follows the 3rd law of thermodynamics.

I hesitiantly say level 3: Physics Plus. I kinda want to already know a base ground of how things works from my own experiences But it needs to have some aspects that while our current science says is impossible, totally is in the game and is treated consistently through the entire works

I guess kinda like the Starship Troopers novel, but, they have lazers and photon cannons instead of freggin M-16s...