New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Artificer help

1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Artificer help

I was hoping to play the artificer and was thinking of a type of character that utilises a ton of different weapons (primarily guns, lets be honest most people do have this idea at least once) and I was looking at the gunsmith archetype and was a bit bummed out by it, it only gives you the thunder monger which is really cool but I would rather be able to use a lot more different weapons. Has anyone created a artificer subclass that is similar to the gunsmith but works more on having a large amount of guns rather than one single one.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Artificer help

Quote Originally Posted by Tarasque_man View Post
    I was hoping to play the artificer and was thinking of a type of character that utilises a ton of different weapons (primarily guns, lets be honest most people do have this idea at least once) and I was looking at the gunsmith archetype and was a bit bummed out by it, it only gives you the thunder monger which is really cool but I would rather be able to use a lot more different weapons. Has anyone created a artificer subclass that is similar to the gunsmith but works more on having a large amount of guns rather than one single one.

So, three things for you on this.

First, you might look into the Artificer Revised (Again) homebrew. The Gunsmith archetype is called 'leadsmith' here for some reason. It gives three different models for the thundergun, though by how it's written you only get one. It also allows for a nice selection of modifications you can make to your thundergun, though you can only fit three (frame, barrel, chamber) on each individual thundergun.

Second, talk with your DM to see if they'll allow you to construct different models of your thundergun. In theory your Artificer should be able to do this given enough downtime, but again it's your DM's call.

Third, and this will require you to talk with your DM again, determine if your campaign has ordinary firearms. As a gunsmith, you should be proficient in those and depending on your Strength there shouldn't be that much of an issue with your gunsmith toting around a private arsenal. The thundergun will always be your gunsmith's personal baby - their best weapon and the one they give the most care to - but it's often nice to have options.
    Wind & Sound Elemental Eric Greenhilt avatar by Akrim.elf
    Bodyguard in Lix's Harem
    Ninja-Pirate of BvS's Privateer village! Come and join me!
    My Extended Signature
    My Pokemon!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

ah many thanks to you, I like a lot of the ideas you are suggesting and the lead smith can create multiple guns at level 5 so it does work pretty well, thank you a lot.

4. - Top - End - #4

Quote Originally Posted by Tarasque_man View Post
    ah many thanks to you, I like a lot of the ideas you are suggesting and the lead smith can create multiple guns at level 5 so it does work pretty well, thank you a lot.
    Ah. Missed that little detail when skimming.
    Wind & Sound Elemental Eric Greenhilt avatar by Akrim.elf
    Bodyguard in Lix's Harem
    Ninja-Pirate of BvS's Privateer village! Come and join me!
    My Extended Signature
    My Pokemon!

5. - Top - End - #5

Daemon

You get several different types of attack with your rifle. I don’t think it would be too hard to just make each one a different weapon type as long as they all ha e the 2handed and heavy property.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

If you are looking for a Gunweilding character, check out the Gunslinger Fighter Sub Class created by Matthew Mercer for the Critical Role stream. Used by the Character Percy on the show to great effect.

The class is availible for viewing on DnD Beyond.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

I don't have any homebrew for it, but if you use MFoV's Firearm rules, and do a bit of refluffing of spells as other weapons & devices, you can make a fairly substantial collection.

It'd require some DM smoothing, but my concept of a gun-toting artificer something like a Battlemaster Fighter / Bladesinger Wizard mix (removing elf requirement, and the 2-handed prohibition, but only for firearms), with the Wizard spells refluffed as devices and shots (fireball mortars, "Freeze Ray" of Frost weapon, et cetera).
    Always looking for critique of my 5E homebrew!

Quote Originally Posted by Bjarkmundur View Post
    ... does this stuff just come naturally to you? Do you even have to try anymore xD
    Quote Originally Posted by Man_Over_Game View Post
    Vogie is the sh**. I don't really have anything to contribute to the topic, just wanted to point that out.