New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415
  1. - Top - End - #421
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: Erfworld 77, page 71

Quote Originally Posted by Ganurath View Post
    It's worse when you add the angry faces on the Archons in the thinkagram. That smile is just plain wolfish. The only way Ansom survives this is if he gets something fun and angry off panel in the near future.
    The most likely reason that two of the Archons were upset is due to the third Archon giving away freebies.
    PROTECTIVE IMAGE

2. - Top - End - #422
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by R.I.P. Manpower View Post
    If Jillians sword could be resized, as people are suggesting, I would expect that the scaling would be linear, that is that all proportions would be maintained.
    That would greatly decrease the usefulness of the weapon. The last thing you want in a stabbing weapon is a wide blade with a relatively blunt end.

She might be able to switch between fixed blade styles. I will buy the idea that the dagger is a different weapon when someone explains to me why you would ever want a long, two-handed pommel on a one-handed stabbing weapon meant for use in close quarters.
    Last edited by Wender; 2007-09-18 at 05:03 PM. Reason: added adjective

3. - Top - End - #423
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lamech View Post
    I don't remember anytime in which the sword was in hammerspace. The sword is often hidden and off camera, but not really disappeared.
    Same diff.
    Arena Initiate Referee

4. - Top - End - #424
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wender View Post
    That would greatly decrease the usefulness of the weapon. The last thing you want in a stabbing weapon is a wide blade with a relatively blunt end.

She might be able to switch between fixed blade styles. I will buy the idea that the dagger is a different weapon when someone explains to me why you would ever want a long, two-handed pommel on a one-handed stabbing weapon meant for use in close quarters.
    In panels 3 and 4, she doesn't have it, and in panel 1 the BFS is not visible, so it would appear she draws it between panels 4 and 5. Now, why would she want a long pommeled dagger?

-Maybe the blade is some sort of Erfian metal and very heavy, the long pommel mere acts as a counter-balance
    -She is used to and prefers the BFS style pommel and has developed a long pommeled dagger style as her backup weapon
    -The long pommel is meant to mimic the BFS pommel and is just for show. If she were to lose the BFS she could put the dagger in its scabbard to throw enemies off

Also, that's an awfully long dagger (I'd say almost 10") so it might be used as a slashing weapon in some cases.
    'Old fool!' he said. 'Old fool! This is my hour. Do you not know Death when you see it? Die now and curse in vain!' And with that he lifted high his sword and flames ran down the blade.

5. - Top - End - #425
    Halfling in the Playground

Let me propose this series of events o the "long handled dagger"

between pannels 4 and five she draws a dagger from her belt.

In panel 5 Manpower drops the sword.

Between panels 5 and 7 she catches his sword and stabbities the dragon.

So in panel 7 you are seeing manpowers sword.

Her hands would be positioned for such a thing so it is possible.
    "Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar." - Freud
    Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #426
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jari Kafghan View Post
    Panel 5 : Jillian has dagger, Manpower has sword!

In panel 4 it almost looks like Jillian has her hand in the Dwagon's mouth...maybe she pulled the dagger out of there...something from a previous victim!

7. - Top - End - #427

But he is dropping the sword in panel 5. I say she dropped the dagger to grab his sword, so its not even the same weapon from one panel to the other.
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #428
    Magnificent Boop in the Playground

Let me propose this series of events o the "long handled dagger"

between pannels 4 and five she draws a dagger from her belt.

In panel 5 Manpower drops the sword.

Between panels 5 and 7 she catches his sword and stabbities the dragon.

Her hands would be positioned for such a thing so it is possible.
    The pommel of Manpower's sword (see panel 4) doesn't look at all like that of Jillian's sword -- Manpower's sword has a curved pommel with a spur at the end.

9. - Top - End - #429
    Pixie in the Playground

I wouldn't have thought that she would grab Manpower's sword when she is capable of croaking a small army with a pair of chopsticks...a dagger would then seem enough to kill a badly wouned / near death Dwagon!

Much as I don't like the idea of the BFS resizing & shaping without any indication of it, I am also of the opinion that if she had lost it and that that was important, we would have been shown the BFS dropping!

10. - Top - End - #430

Quote Originally Posted by SteveMB View Post
    The pommel of Manpower's sword (see panel 4) doesn't look at all like that of Jillian's sword -- Manpower's sword has a curved pommel with a spur at the end.
    I noticed that, but if you get it from the right angle it could look like that. Take it I am playing devils advocate, cause the idea of her sword changing shape bugs me so I am trying out other options. If I find out that is the case so be it.
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #431
    Orc in the Playground

GnomePirate

If this has been answered in this thread, just tell me, but I really REALLY could not, at all, tell who the heck was speaking in the panels. It's very confusing, adding yet another layer of confusion onto this already complicated comic.

12. - Top - End - #432

Quote Originally Posted by Darken Rahl View Post
    If this has been answered in this thread, just tell me, but I really REALLY could not, at all, tell who the heck was speaking in the panels. It's very confusing, adding yet another layer of confusion onto this already complicated comic.
    In this order:

Wanda
    Parson
    Parson
    Wanda
    Parson
    Tool
    Parson
    Tool
    Parson
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #433

In this order:

Wanda
    Parson
    Parson
    Wanda
    Parson
    Tool
    Parson
    Tool
    Parson
    Parson's speech is in a different font; Wanda and the Tool are clearly distinguished by context (and usually because Wanda speaks in a more highbrow manner, though not in this case).

Panel 1: Wanda ("No."); Parson replies.

Panel 2: Parson continues; Wanda replies ("Please.")

Panel 3: Parson asks Stanley to settle it ("Tool?"); Stanley backs him up ("Yeah." "Croak her.")

Panel 4: Parson gives instructions.

Panel 8: Stanley gives an oh-so-helpful heads-up that Ansom is in the hex, mere moments after Parson has already noticed and made an unsuccessful attempt to respond. Parson expresses his exasperation.
    Last edited by SteveMB; 2007-09-19 at 09:41 AM.

14. - Top - End - #434
    Orc in the Playground

GnomePirate

Thanks, that makes it much more understandable. :)

15. - Top - End - #435
    Dwarf in the Playground

I want a new page so bad I can taste it.

Can you taste it?
    'Old fool!' he said. 'Old fool! This is my hour. Do you not know Death when you see it? Die now and curse in vain!' And with that he lifted high his sword and flames ran down the blade.

16. - Top - End - #436
    Ogre in the Playground

Two things:
    1. I think the point of the sword is angled towards the "camera." Forshortening the blade makes it look like a dagger.

2. Indeed, I'm wondering where the new strip is. It's been eight days. What's going on? Why no news?

And before you point me to the ""Erfworld is now random" page," I already saw it. The explanation was that Cons were eating up massive amounts of time, but by now the Cons should be over.

Things have been painfully slow for over two months. Kick it into high gear, please.
    Last edited by Surfing HalfOrc; 2007-09-20 at 12:25 PM.
    Thanks to Ceika (X2), Yeril, Holammer and Dr. Bath for the Avatars!
    New Avatar, new form of self-destruction! Ceika is Beyond Awesome!

17. - Top - End - #437
    Pixie in the Playground

Yeah! Get to work! What do we pay you for!

Yeah...

18. - Top - End - #438
    Pixie in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

That's a pretty disingenuous statement. I mean, if someone is putting content up in a public forum for comment and consideration, one of the things that's going to happen if your content is enjoyable is that people may say "Hey, that's really good - can we have some more please?"

Payment one way or the other is immaterial.
    It's all true.
    God is just an astronaut,
    Oz really is over the rainbow,
    And Midian is where the monsters live.

19. - Top - End - #439

Yeah, the authors/artists have, unfortunately, been 75% inconsistent with their posting.

I seem to recall reading once that it took one of them 27 hours to do the lettering...for one earlier episode.

Excuse me?

I hope they were kidding. I really do. Because that kind of stuff shouldn't happen for a webcomic like this.

20. - Top - End - #440

Quote Originally Posted by TheMeanDM View Post
    I seem to recall reading once that it took one of them 27 hours to do the lettering...for one earlier episode.

Excuse me?

I hope they were kidding. I really do. Because that kind of stuff shouldn't happen for a webcomic like this.
    I've spent a fair amount of time fiddling with the lettering on various motivational-poster parodies and remixes in the LOLErf thread. I'm pretty sure that Rob's standards for an acceptable final comic page are tougher than mine for a relatively minor gag piece.

I can believe that it takes quite a bit of time to work out issues like adjusting character spacing and size to produce good-looking and readable dialog boxes while blocking out as little of the artwork as possible.
    Last edited by SteveMB; 2007-09-21 at 02:41 PM.

21. - Top - End - #441
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheMeanDM View Post
    Yeah, the authors/artists have, unfortunately, been 75% inconsistent with their posting.

Excuse me?

For a three-panel strip? No. Those only take 3 hours. For a lavishly produced full-pager like this? Sure.

You cannot hope to judge the amount of time it takes to produce something by the amount of time it would take to reproduce that thing. With as many panels and as many characters and as much dialog as this strip juggles in any given update, I can easily imagine it taking that long. And then you scrunch it down for the web and something unexpectedly turns into oatmeal and you have to go back and fiddle with it until it can survive a trip through the compression algorithm, and then what does it look like at print quality?

Erfworld is an ambitious undertaking.

22. - Top - End - #442

Yeah, Erfworld is high quality.

Because of the stuffed animals and larger than life heads it may appear simple at first glance. When I re-read the whole story a second time taking more leisure I noticed a lot of wonderful details.

If you look at the blow-ups you'll know what I mean
    Orc Girl Avatar by Yeril !

Irideen Yoannaell,woodelf ranger Into the Depths of the Earth (Dawnhorn) character sheet

23. - Top - End - #443
    Ogre in the Playground

1. I think the point of the sword is angled towards the "camera." Forshortening the blade makes it look like a dagger.
    Look at Jillian's hand it sure doesn't look angled to a high degree towards the camera and certainly not enough to shorten the sword as much as it is.

24. - Top - End - #444
    Pixie in the Playground

The sword was never in the dwagon's mouth. What you see in its mouth in panel 3 is Jillian's left arm. If you examine the pattern on the object in the dwagon's mouth in panel 3, it matches the pattern of her right upper arm armor in the second-to-last panel. Then you see her arm and part of her hand in panel 4 in the dwagon's mouth. And finally she's managed to pry the dwagon's mouth open a bit and move her left arm to what I suppose is a more comfortable position and pulled her sword out of its sheath with her right hand, or hammerspace, or her butt, or wherever it was.